Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Xelkelvos posted:

He's just too lazy and too busy making pies to buy an actual camera

Or he'd buy something old and outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Wasabi the J posted:

That last part was how Clarkson got in trouble though.

It's ok though, they're cooking hot food.

Although god help us if they make carpaccio, sushi, or gazpacho. Then fists will be flying.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mod sassinator posted:

Although god help us if they make carpaccio, sushi, or gazpacho. Then fists will be flying.
Good way to keep Hammond out the way, though. He wouldn't like it. All foreign, got bits in it.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I also really liked the dynamic between James and Oz Clarke. I know Oz has continued on with the "drinking road trip" themed TV show - anybody know why James didn't stay involved?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

I kind of want to try his recipe, but I'd swap the mushrooms for some diced bacon because I'm from America.

gently caress it, use both. Also I'd sub in pork instead of lamb but that's more an availability thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have ground beef in the fridge... But no potatoes. :(

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

KillHour posted:

I have ground beef in the fridge... But no potatoes. :(

Sheppard's don't look after cows :colbert:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I made beef stew which is basically the same recipe with more water, and dont mash the potatoes. Mushrooms would have been amazing.

I think the pie police can accept beef as its "Local cheap meat".

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 5, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Rudager posted:

Sheppard's don't look after cows :colbert:

Beef is what the local British place uses in their Shepherd's pie, and it's owned and run by a British guy so I'm considering that a sign it's an acceptable replacement meat :colbert:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
If it's beef it's a cottage pie. I learned this from a Kitchen Nightmares episode where Ramsay bitched the restaurant out for having beef in their shepherd's pie.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was going to say that, but according to wikipedia the distinction is relatively recent, and for most of the dish's history they were used interchangeably.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I want to know who was the camera man at the end?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm going to make this, but as a cottage pie because I don't think the grocery store has ground lamb here.

Also, I need to buy a potato masher. I don't have all the normal cooking poo poo, by James May's standards.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I call them "Kitchen toys". I just bought myself a cast aluminum garlic smasher to help get over a breakup. :)

Something big and cast iron next, i think. Do you have a right as a renter for your landlord to fix your oven if 3 of the 4 burners (including both of the big ones) are broken? It kind of hurts my ability to really cook.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
https://twitter.com/MrJamesMay/status/584502700303372288

There's actually a Twitter thing? Who knew?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I call them "Kitchen toys". I just bought myself a cast aluminum garlic smasher to help get over a breakup. :)

Something big and cast iron next, i think. Do you have a right as a renter for your landlord to fix your oven if 3 of the 4 burners (including both of the big ones) are broken? It kind of hurts my ability to really cook.

I'd say yes, you should bitch to your landlord.

Also, I just remembered the awesome meat pounder I got for Christmas. I bet it could mash potatoes in a pinch.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

PT6A posted:

I'd say yes, you should bitch to your landlord.

Also, I just remembered the awesome meat pounder I got for Christmas. I bet it could mash potatoes in a pinch.

Go get a bread kneader, great tool for mashing potatoes and guacamole.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If nothing else hopefully this raises the profile of lamb in the US. Lamb meat best meat.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I want to be like James May when I grow up.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

open24hours posted:

If nothing else hopefully this raises the profile of lamb in the US. Lamb meat best meat.

Nonono it is like this:

1. Pork
2. Goat
3. Lamb

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Djarum posted:

Nonono it is like this:

1. Pork
2. Goat
3. Lamb

I've never had goat, but Bison needs to go in here somewhere. Bison burger best burger.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

KillHour posted:

I've never had goat, but Bison needs to go in here somewhere. Bison burger best burger.

Bison is fantastic. I little hard to find in my area unless I'm passing through some tiny little mountain town, unfortunately.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Id chuck in Carrots, bacon (or thick pancetta if i had it) and green peas, instead of the shrooms, but thats because im alergic to mushrooms :(

I want that loving cheese grater tho!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

KillHour posted:

Find a jamacian place, get curried goat or oxtail. (or snapper) live for the first time :) (Warning its not like mall food, there will be bone chunks)

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
This thread has really taken a weird turn, but I like it. James May is the best.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Sunday morning (Pacific) and I've queued up the full pie saga on the Chromecast. This is the sort of thing I thought I should marathon.

Meanwhile, for those in the home country, schedule for BBC2 tonight says Caribbean with Simon Reeve is being shown as a direct, like-for-like replacement for Top Gear.

Louis Theroux later at least

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

ZippySLC posted:

I also really liked the dynamic between James and Oz Clarke. I know Oz has continued on with the "drinking road trip" themed TV show - anybody know why James didn't stay involved?

iirc he was too busy doing his other shows and travelling for top gear to be going around drinking with Oz. I think that was right around when he started doing his manlab and toy stuff.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

At this point I half expect May to join Antiques Roadshow.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

Actually for some reason the local supermarkets here have started stocking a pretty good selection of frozen lamb. You still have to find a halal grocery to get fresh stuff though.
I still like moose the best.
Also somebody needs to teach James some proper onion peeling/chopping technique. That bit was pretty painful.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
http://youtu.be/VKmeB8Rupro
Perhaps Richard should have a swearing channel alongside James' pie and recorder one.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 5, 2015

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'd watch the hell out of a show where Hammond cycles through various metropolitan areas and swears a lot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Double Bill posted:

I'd watch the hell out of a show where Hammond cycles through various metropolitan areas and swears a lot.

Yeah, I'm just starting to bike to work and I can totally understand the "angry cyclist" archetype.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Tommychu posted:

Also somebody needs to teach James some proper onion peeling/chopping technique. That bit was pretty painful.
I'm not an expert on these sorts of things but his knife handling was not very good.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
About even with his gun handling, I'd say.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Philip J Fry posted:

About even with his gun handling, I'd say.

What episode is this from?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Asnorban posted:

What episode is this from?
Polar Special.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tommychu posted:

Seriously. You do not need to chip the skin off an onion like it's a potato. Just slit the outer layer and pull it off.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Long Francesco posted:

iirc he was too busy doing his other shows and travelling for top gear to be going around drinking with Oz. I think that was right around when he started doing his manlab and toy stuff.

I'd trade Manlab for Oz and James in a Caravan Drinking a Lot.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Seriously. You do not need to chip the skin off an onion like it's a potato. Just slit the outer layer and pull it off.

Yep. Even the actual chopping- if you're not doing it like this, then you're probably making it a lot more difficult than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Tommychu posted:

Yep. Even the actual chopping- if you're not doing it like this, then you're probably making it a lot more difficult than it should be.
It works even better if you peel the outer layer of the onion back to use as a handle, especially if you're not confident in your skills and are worried about cutting yourself.