Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

exquisite tea posted:

There are some weird things from Jurassic Park that I thought I remembered being present for the cinematic release, but not the VHS version. One of them was a short scene of Ellie actually grabbing the leaf that she has in the Brachiosaur reveal as the jeeps are going through the jungle. I could have sworn up and down that I saw this in theaters, but in retrospect, I think I probably imagined it from a production still I saw when I was seven or whatever. Another scene that I thought was edited down for VHS (but probably just imagined by me) was the first T-Rex reveal. I thought I remembered a couple additional seconds of the Rex chowing down on the flipped explorer. I probably would have forgotten all about this by now if not for the fact that one of my friends from grade school mentioned the same exact scenes I just described.
The leaf scene exists and was shown in the trailer. I seem to remember seeing it in the movie too but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hahaha Grant's badass one-liner after dropping a skeleton on a raptor is tremendously naff. So glad that was cut.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ellie grabbing the leaf is definitely a thing that was cut out. You can see it about 35 seconds into the trailer for the movie.

E: Oh, hello another page.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 3, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My thing in rewatching Jurassic Park is when they are on the Mr. DNA ride and going by the lab and Gennaro was trying to ask Hammond if the workers were automated robots but said "Auto-erotica" instead

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I thought I remembered a couple additional seconds of the Rex chowing down on the flipped explorer.

I remember this. It's from this little kid book of the movie for Jurassic Park with pictures(at least that is where I remember it). There's some pictures of the t-rex chomping on the tire that don't appear to be in the film.

Also I swear I remember seeing some "making of" thing for JP where it shows the original storyboard for the explorer attack scene calls for a point where the t-rex drags the explorer down the road a ways. I've always assumed they just couldn't get that shot to work, cut it, and that explains why there is a huge drop off on the fence side instead of it being ground level.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I think it was Life, the TV show with Damien Lewis that had some evidence hidden inside a Barbasol can.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
As a kid I never understood what Hammond says to grant in his trailer while he hoists himself up on the counter. In fact they whole scene was so confusing to me as I never understood how he even got in the trailer in the first place. I had a phonemic memorization of the dialogue in the scene but I couldn't translate them into words I knew. The accent didn't help.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've got a jet-sounding Bio Chopper.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I missed the auto erotica scene but now that you mention it its funny as hell.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ColoradoCleric posted:

I missed the auto erotica scene but now that you mention it its funny as hell.
Yeah we had an over 21 Jurassic Park night at the Carnegie Museum and had a screening of the movie and it seemed that no one in the audience picked that up until now and everyone laughed

Spinnaker
Jun 25, 2004

KidVanguard posted:

As a kid I never understood what Hammond says to grant in his trailer while he hoists himself up on the counter. In fact they whole scene was so confusing to me as I never understood how he even got in the trailer in the first place. I had a phonemic memorization of the dialogue in the scene but I couldn't translate them into words I knew. The accent didn't help.

I think he says "I've got a jet standing by in Choteau."

Choteau is the closest town with an airport. That is what I remember from the book anyway.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spinnaker posted:

Choteau is the closest town with an airport. That is what I remember from the book anyway.
I just looked up the scene and that's exactly what he says. It's in the script too.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Spinnaker posted:

Thank you!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
When the helicopter lands at the dig site is it picking up Hammond or dropping him off?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Dropping him. Remember that the paleontologists have to cover up their dig first and stuff, which gives Hammond plenty of time to invite himself into their camper, and open up their champagne.

Going back to earlier discussion about the park, it is telling that Hammond's most cherished memory was that flea circus... that worked without the fleas, just with tiny engines.

He believes that any park can function, if it weren't for that pesky human factor. That's why he's so insistent on everything being automated: the cars, the fences, the doors. When he says he spared no expense, he means he spared no expense on machines (and ice cream!).

The whole weekend was not only to convince the lawyer and scientists, but also to prove that his park could function with just the bare minimum of personnel. Of course, we saw how that went.

That's why the park as presented in the movie couldn't work: the attraction fences are bare-bones, because more steel and concrete would get in the way of people getting a good look at the dinos. Contrast this with the raptor enclosure, where you just can't see them.

Regular zoos aren't in the same league, because at least with normal animals we have thousands of years of knowing about their behaviors and limitations, and yes, trial and error. In Jurassic Park, it's probably been just a couple of years since they got their first dinosaur, and like Malcolm said, they haven't stopped to understand them, just rushed to put them in an attraction they could make money out of.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

david_a posted:

The leaf scene exists and was shown in the trailer. I seem to remember seeing it in the movie too but who knows.

quote:

According to some people’s accounts, a scene was shown in the theatrical release where the Tyrannosaur crashes into the visitor center’s wall though this has never seen on the subsequent DVD releases.

Any goons who saw the original release care to confirm or deny this? It seems pretty weird to me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I saw it in cinemas at the tender age of 8 and don't remember the Rex appearing before it grabs the raptor. I don't know how you'd show it breaking into the building without completely destroying the tension of that scene.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Octy posted:

Any goons who saw the original release care to confirm or deny this? It seems pretty weird to me.

Definitely stdh, no doubt in my mind.

Also from the same site:

quote:

Wondering

After Dr. Grant and the children avoid being crushed by the Ford Explorer, there were originally three different versions of when Dr. Grant and the children wonder into the jungle.

I wonder where they wondered so wonderly.

edit: also the bit about Goldblum convincing Spielberg to change a bit with his character seems weird too, especially as it happens on screen just like it's written in the script.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 4, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

KiddieGrinder posted:

edit: also the bit about Goldblum convincing Spielberg to change a bit with his character seems weird too, especially as it happens on screen just like it's written in the script.

AIUI dialogue changes during filming get rolled up into the shooting script so they are literally on the same page to work off every day.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah the date on that script is December 92 which is right around when principal photography on the film finished.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

ruby idiot railed posted:

AIUI dialogue changes during filming get rolled up into the shooting script so they are literally on the same page to work off every day.

Fair enough, but it's not exactly just a change to dialog is it. I mean, the article says Malcolm was going to cowardly run away and that was it? But then it changed to Malcolm grabbing a flare, imitating Grant, getting chased/engaged by the Rex, nearly getting eaten, and also getting injured somewhat seriously (he is effectively out of action the rest of the film).

So to say a change that drastic happened casually with a quick rewrite of dialog is a bit specious.

If you think about it, what if Malcolm hadn't grabbed the flare and instead ran away as the article suggested? Would the Rex have noticed him? Would he have gotten injured? Would he have had a more active role in the rest of the film? Would he have gotten separated from everyone else? It's a big change to make, especially for the actor themselves to suggest it. That's why I'm sort of skeptical on the whole thing.

Now if that article said it was Goldblum's idea for the "when you gotta go" toilet joke, that would be easy to believe.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Xenomrph posted:

In the grand scheme of product placement, that Barbasol can is pretty iconic. Pretty much no one born before like 1985 can look at a Barbasol can and not immediately associate it with Jurassic Park.

Off the top of my head I can't even think of another product where the moment I see it, I instantly think of a movie it's been in.

It's no poo poo why I first started using it. It's my brand of choice now out of habit and cost, but I saw it at the PX, thought "Jurassic Park!", bought it, and have stuck with it since. Shaving cream is shaving cream unless you have sensitive skin so I have no regrets

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Even Muldoon comments on how the Raptors were trying to figure out how to get out and gently caress poo poo up. It was only a matter of time.

More than that, the tracks at the best Grant finds have only 2 toes - raptor tracks. They were already out

Xenomrph posted:

But there's nothing in the movie to show that the park was inevitably doomed to fail and could never work ever.

If that was one of the movie's goals, it half-assed it.
the raptor nest. They were so bad at tracking the animals that some of them go missing and they write it off as "the big one must have killed them". They were failing basic stuff with the animals they acknowledged were the most dangerous

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 5, 2015

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

KiddieGrinder posted:

If you think about it, what if Malcolm hadn't grabbed the flare and instead ran away as the article suggested? Would the Rex have noticed him? Would he have gotten injured? Would he have had a more active role in the rest of the film? Would he have gotten separated from everyone else? It's a big change to make, especially for the actor themselves to suggest it. That's why I'm sort of skeptical on the whole thing.

In the novel, the rex approached the car and he bolted - no attempt to distract it with a flare or anything. The rex immediately spotted him, grabbed him around the torso, and flung him. The end result was essentially the same; it put him out of action for the rest of the book with severe injuries. It's actually a relatively minor change, since they only have to show him waving the flare and throwing it before the rex attacks him.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Stahlgeist posted:

The rex immediately spotted him, grabbed him around the torso, and flung him. The end result was essentially the same; it put him out of action for the rest of the book with severe injuries. It's actually a relatively minor change, since they only have to show him waving the flare and throwing it before the rex attacks him.

Didn't Malcom die in the novel or something according to Crichton only to get recton in the sequel?.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDrone posted:

Didn't Malcom die in the novel or something according to Crichton only to get recton in the sequel?.
Yes he did.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Holy poo poo the transfer on the 3D blu ray. They need to stop putting out the 2011 transfer and push a 2D version of JP1 with the new color timing. It's funny that comments elsewhere complain that it's hollywood doing the "teal and orange" thing to the color when this is what the loving movie looked like in theaters(or as close to it as I've ever seen).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ApexAftermath posted:

Holy poo poo the transfer on the 3D blu ray. They need to stop putting out the 2011 transfer and push a 2D version of JP1 with the new color timing. It's funny that comments elsewhere complain that it's hollywood doing the "teal and orange" thing to the color when this is what the loving movie looked like in theaters(or as close to it as I've ever seen).

"Teal and orange" was always a bit shallow because it was just "Hey these complimentary colors...are used a lot :smug: ".

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

computer parts posted:

"Teal and orange" was always a bit shallow because it was just "Hey these complimentary colors...are used a lot :smug: ".

Not really no. Digital grading changed things a poo poo ton.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://screenrant.com/jurassic-world-ian-malcolm-jeff-goldblum/
The Viral Marketing for this movie is great :allears:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

This thread got me to start rereading the original novel, and man is it rough. A 3 step opening, which could work except they are boring as poo poo. Extremely heavy on telling rather than showing. Race elements are such that I can't yet tell if this is intentional, in the "3rd world/feminist empowerment" read that people apply to the film, or just the clunky result of when it was written. Plot elements and infodumps making no sense (why does the EPA hear from OTT that Ingen is buying supercomputers? Shouldn't that go to the FBI? And why does the EPA give a poo poo? Is this just old early 80s EPA bureaucracy fears?).

Books is a lot rougher than I remembered so far

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fried Chicken posted:

This is true of most of Crichton's writing. Very few of his books really hold up.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Fried Chicken posted:

This thread got me to start rereading the original novel, and man is it rough. A 3 step opening, which could work except they are boring as poo poo. Extremely heavy on telling rather than showing. Race elements are such that I can't yet tell if this is intentional, in the "3rd world/feminist empowerment" read that people apply to the film, or just the clunky result of when it was written. Plot elements and infodumps making no sense (why does the EPA hear from OTT that Ingen is buying supercomputers? Shouldn't that go to the FBI? And why does the EPA give a poo poo? Is this just old early 80s EPA bureaucracy fears?).

Yeah, even back then I would skip over the infodump sections because they provided nothing to the narrative other than to pad the novel.

Grant killing Raptors with syringes of neurotoxin was pretty badass though.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I still enjoy the books as science thrillers about "consumer biologicals" run amok. There's a lot of technical world-building that can be jarring if you're expecting the action-adventure tone of the films. Besides, Hammond has a tiny finger-biting elephant.

Toady fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 8, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I was randomly watching Catfish or something on MTV while sick on the couch because of being too lazy to turn the channel and saw the "extended clip" of Jurassic World that shows how Chris Pratt is in charge of wrangling the new ultra dinosaur or whatever because he's friends with the raptors. Why does that make me want to see this movie so much?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EY4qZO4vC4

This is really bad.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Good grief.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Do you have a reason or elaboration or are you just making words to pretend you've got an opinion?
Why don't you like Star Lord in: Jurassic Park?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

This fall on the CW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Do you have a reason or elaboration or are you just making words to pretend you've got an opinion?
Why don't you like Star Lord in: Jurassic Park?

The dialogue is atrocious and the scene is completely devoid of any kind of chemistry or energy?

There's no reason that two performers that charismatic should have such a banal and trite scene together.

Also, it's just really, really forced. She's the straight-laced businesswoman with a type-A personality! He's the wacky, carefree romantic!

It would slot perfectly in the middle of a movie starring Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 9, 2015

• Locked thread