Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
Any recommendations for a manual clutch replacement on a '13 YZ? I often hear about Rekluse brand but it seems they known for their auto clutches and not manual ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I put a Rekluse basket in my '11 KTM 250 XC. One year later no grooves so that's night.

When it comes to actual steels and fibers, I'd just get a cheap rear end Tusk one on RMMC.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

Cool! I've never shopped at RMMC before so checking that out now. Also turned out that Rekluse do not make YZ baskets but they recommended GYTR so i'll probably go that route. The TORQDrive set from Rekluse looks kool so maybe i'll give that one a whirl.

By the way, does anyone else here ride in upstate NY? Right now its still too much ice/snow to take the bike out, but not enough to snowmobile anymore. So depressing!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Little Whiskey Throttle for your day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh6NzuEttto

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I don't actually expect anything from this but I thought it would be interesting to ask a thing. I'm going to be visiting San Antonio for the first weekend of April and would love the opportunity to ride at Cycle Ranch. I'm flying in and obviously can't bring my dirt bike. Is there anyone out there that would hypothetically let a goon borrow their bike/meet them at the park with an extra bike? Looks like there is a practice on Saturday the 4th

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

DefaultPeanut posted:

Brutal :( I don't work on Huskys too often, but I have heard they are pretty decent machines all in all. Is there any sort of milage warranty that a dealer could honor, or call up the mothership and ask for a good will helping hand on parts? I'd be interested to see what caused the failure. The PO of my YZF decided to do a homebrew wet sump conversion, and eliminated half of the oiling system, and reduced the capacity by almost half. Guess how that turned out.

Doesn't look like the piston kissed the valves. If the cam journals look good on your head, like this: http://imgur.com/Kg6ZDBD, try and save the head. With the cam out / valves closed, pour some fuel into the intake and exhaust ports and cover the valves completely. Does any fuel leak past the valve onto the head? If its just a little bit slowly seeping out - you can most likely save it. Pours out? Pull the valves and find out why.

Edit:
"PO did an oil change just before I bought it. I guess he left the drain bolt lose"

Update on this: took it in the shop and apparently the main bearing has gone through the engine. They're telling me I need the following in parts:

Engine seals kit
Gasket kit
Crankshaft assembly
2x Main bearings
Piston
Oil/oil filter/spark plug

and they're telling me it will take about 8-10 hours labour to do it.

Anyone got any thoughts?

E; specifically regarding the labour. I assume most goons can't really comment on the parts unless they saw photo's (which I can probably get sometime in the next 2 weeks).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That seems pretty reasonable. They might discover something else has been thrashed in the process but that seems about right.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Z3n posted:

That seems pretty reasonable. They might discover something else has been thrashed in the process but that seems about right.

Awesome, thanks man. What are some other possible problems? Deciding if it's even worth it to fix.

Guni fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 24, 2015

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Guni posted:

Awesome, thanks man. What are some other possible problems? Deciding if it's even worth it to fix.

Do they have the engine apart and on the table already? The cylinder could have been marked up, cam / valvetrain, oil pump. Has the shop figured out what the original point of failure was in your engine? It would suck if they did all that work, just to skip over the cause of the problem only to have it crop up again. I just finished an engine from a 2015 KX450F. 10.1 hours old and the guy did an oil change but put the filter in backwards - they fit perfectly in both ways. The big end rod bearing took the brunt of the damage, but stayed together long enough to let the piston carry it's self up past deck height on inertia alone, and smash the bottom of the head. Being starved for oil also trashed the cam journals, cams, oil pumps and lightly mark up the cylinder. We were able to recover the cylinder with a hone. When I was tearing it down, I found two burnt shift forks, and a semi baked clutch and then everything else associated with loving up an oil change. We get a call on Friday saying that the guy had gone our riding, an hour into it and the bike is running great until he crashed into 'some water' and hydrolocked the engine. Some people should not own dirt bikes.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

DefaultPeanut posted:

Do they have the engine apart and on the table already? The cylinder could have been marked up, cam / valvetrain, oil pump. Has the shop figured out what the original point of failure was in your engine? It would suck if they did all that work, just to skip over the cause of the problem only to have it crop up again. I just finished an engine from a 2015 KX450F. 10.1 hours old and the guy did an oil change but put the filter in backwards - they fit perfectly in both ways. The big end rod bearing took the brunt of the damage, but stayed together long enough to let the piston carry it's self up past deck height on inertia alone, and smash the bottom of the head. Being starved for oil also trashed the cam journals, cams, oil pumps and lightly mark up the cylinder. We were able to recover the cylinder with a hone. When I was tearing it down, I found two burnt shift forks, and a semi baked clutch and then everything else associated with fucki ng up an oil change. We get a call on Friday saying that the guy had gone our riding, an hour into it and the bike is running great until he crashed into 'some water' and hydrolocked the engine. Some people should not own dirt bikes.

I have asked the dealer and they've given me a "lack of lubrication" and when I asked how that could happen (it had been serviced at the dealer at 1000KM and we changed the oil + filter at least once between that service and now - bikes at 1700KM) he said "must have been a blockage". To be honest I'm already dropping $350 on these idiots to get this far and I'd prefer if possible not to drop any more. He did say they could pull it down further (I'm not very familiar with engines, but I saw the crank and piston, so they've at least gone that far).

To be honest, I'm pretty pissed as the bikes only done 1700KM and a lot of that has been dirt road riding out the back of my house. This isn't the first time somethings been wrong with it either (at about 100km old there was a faulty wire under the seat to the battery that left me stranded out the back of my house). I'm thinking I might get it running again (I know a few people that could do it, which I didn't even think of before I took it to these dick heads) and sell the fucker.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

I went to US Chrome recently, neat place. they are probably the nations largest cylinder re-plating company (for all sorts of 2t stuff) and i found out I get dealer pricing, which is nice.

I had them plate my rm125 cylinder. Good company.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Guni posted:

I have asked the dealer and they've given me a "lack of lubrication" and when I asked how that could happen (it had been serviced at the dealer at 1000KM and we changed the oil + filter at least once between that service and now - bikes at 1700KM) he said "must have been a blockage". To be honest I'm already dropping $350 on these idiots to get this far and I'd prefer if possible not to drop any more. He did say they could pull it down further (I'm not very familiar with engines, but I saw the crank and piston, so they've at least gone that far).

To be honest, I'm pretty pissed as the bikes only done 1700KM and a lot of that has been dirt road riding out the back of my house. This isn't the first time somethings been wrong with it either (at about 100km old there was a faulty wire under the seat to the battery that left me stranded out the back of my house). I'm thinking I might get it running again (I know a few people that could do it, which I didn't even think of before I took it to these dick heads) and sell the fucker.

I know you're in a poo poo position and I get very squeamish at dealers as well.. Just try to remember you had a pretty catastrophic engine failure so it's going to require a little digging to find out what's wrong. Tearing your engine down to the crank isn't super hard but it does require time by a tech. $350 is maybe 3.5 or 4 hours of labor, dunno what your shop charges hourly though.. Doesn't seem totally unreasonable if they're trying to diagnose what happened.

Being quite honest the fact that you have a (possibly hackjob) non-stock oiling system and (I think? Not sure if I read correctly) ran it out of oil is probably why the shop isn't being too friendly. You might just look up another engine on ebay or something and swap the whole thing then sell what you can... It's very easy to replace as one big lump just turning some bolts and labeling connectors.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I know you're in a poo poo position and I get very squeamish at dealers as well.. Just try to remember you had a pretty catastrophic engine failure so it's going to require a little digging to find out what's wrong. Tearing your engine down to the crank isn't super hard but it does require time by a tech. $350 is maybe 3.5 or 4 hours of labor, dunno what your shop charges hourly though.. Doesn't seem totally unreasonable if they're trying to diagnose what happened.

Being quite honest the fact that you have a (possibly hackjob) non-stock oiling system and (I think? Not sure if I read correctly) ran it out of oil is probably why the shop isn't being too friendly. You might just look up another engine on ebay or something and swap the whole thing then sell what you can... It's very easy to replace as one big lump just turning some bolts and labeling connectors.

I haven't changed anything on the bike (re: oil system/anything engine wise), literally the only thing I've done is add Barkbusters to it.

How much more time would it take them to dig into the problem, as I said, I'm not really familiar with engines, so I don't know what else they'd have to do/open up etc?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Find a used motor and swap it. Rebuilding it is a gigantic can of worms / pile of money.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Guni posted:

I haven't changed anything on the bike (re: oil system/anything engine wise), literally the only thing I've done is add Barkbusters to it.

How much more time would it take them to dig into the problem, as I said, I'm not really familiar with engines, so I don't know what else they'd have to do/open up etc?

Ahh your quote from DefaultPeanut confused me. My bad man! I totally misread that. I thought you had a YZF that blew up.

If they've already split the cases enough to get the crank out there's not much else to do.. I think finding a used motor is going to be pretty difficult for a one year old Husky but I know nothing about them.

In this case you most definitely should have bought a WR450 like pops but hindsight is always 20/20. Maybe do some ebay'ing and some forums searching for parts. Definitely expect it to be more expensive than sourcing parts for something like a WR.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Ahh your quote from DefaultPeanut confused me. My bad man! I totally misread that. I thought you had a YZF that blew up.

If they've already split the cases enough to get the crank out there's not much else to do.. I think finding a used motor is going to be pretty difficult for a one year old Husky but I know nothing about them.

In this case you most definitely should have bought a WR450 like pops but hindsight is always 20/20. Maybe do some ebay'ing and some forums searching for parts. Definitely expect it to be more expensive than sourcing parts for something like a WR.

Funny you should mention the WR450F, my old man actually has one - definitely should have gotten one, but you're right, hindsight is always 20/20. Also, the bikes four years old, but it's still next to impossible to find an engine, as it's the first of the 'new' engines that Husky brought out.

I've found a line on a the parts from a reseller in Europe (the parts match the part #'s given to me by the shop) and as I said previously, I have got someone to actually do the rebuild for me, so should work out to around $1500 vs $3300 quoted to me by the dealer.

Bikes are so good when they're running...not so much when they're broken down :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Guni posted:

Funny you should mention the WR450F, my old man actually has one - definitely should have gotten one, but you're right, hindsight is always 20/20. Also, the bikes four years old, but it's still next to impossible to find an engine, as it's the first of the 'new' engines that Husky brought out.

I've found a line on a the parts from a reseller in Europe (the parts match the part #'s given to me by the shop) and as I said previously, I have got someone to actually do the rebuild for me, so should work out to around $1500 vs $3300 quoted to me by the dealer.

Bikes are so good when they're running...not so much when they're broken down :(

I'm not so clairvoyant, I just looked at your posts from this thread.

Glad you got a line on parts! Shouldn't be too bad to rebuild, just make sure you and the guy go over everything with a fine toothed comb. Don't skimp on replacing seals, bearings or anything else that could bite you in the rear end later.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Evil the Cat posted:

Cool! I've never shopped at RMMC before so checking that out now. Also turned out that Rekluse do not make YZ baskets but they recommended GYTR so i'll probably go that route. The TORQDrive set from Rekluse looks kool so maybe i'll give that one a whirl.

By the way, does anyone else here ride in upstate NY? Right now its still too much ice/snow to take the bike out, but not enough to snowmobile anymore. So depressing!

I go to CATRA land every once and a while, but that's like a 3h drive from central VT where I am.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

Cool, that's an hour and a half drive from my friends farm where I normally ride so we'll go check it out. Probably only an hour the way he whips his truck around haha. Also, he recently dug this old thing out of storage:

It's a '83 CanAm MX250LC with a fiberglass fuel tank. We tracked down some missing parts and looks like its going to get fixed for him to ride. He is excited and can't stop talking poo poo!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
That's super awesome

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Z3n was in town last weekend so we all went dirtbike riding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAyvknqTmQ
I need to figure out the case situation to fix the wind noise. I bought a new camera (sony as100v). It does image stabilization, which is great for dirt riding, but uses a narrower FOV, making the aiming more critical.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii

Gullous posted:

I need to figure out the case situation to fix the wind noise. I bought a new camera (sony as100v). It does image stabilization, which is great for dirt riding, but uses a narrower FOV, making the aiming more critical.

Oh man, poor Jordan @ around 5 in. lol, "I'll delete it." :boom:

Good conditions though, was a great day!

That thing is bitchin' as hell!

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Finally getting around to a rebuild on my 02 KTM 300exc. This is the stock top end. PO had a horrible old air filter on it, obviously it's sucked some dirt through.

What the hell would cause all this pitting on the crank though, and is it a problem?? After seeing that I expected the rod bearing to be shot, but there is zero vertical play.

Here's what the cylinder and piston look like

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Just got a great deal on an 08 KTM XC 200 W. Problem is I can't get it home from the dealer. Guess I should have bought a truck, whoops!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Just got a great deal on an 08 KTM XC 200 W. Problem is I can't get it home from the dealer. Guess I should have bought a truck, whoops!

You should be able to wheelie that thing back to your house no problem

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

You should be able to wheelie that thing back to your house no problem

Dear god this thing rips. Almost wheelied off the back by goosing it in second. This motor is completely opposite of what I'm used to from my RM.

e: After a couple runs through my little proving grounds I have to say that this bike is the most awesome thing I've ever been on. Now I have to get a way to haul it around so I can actually get it above 3rd gear.

Mikemo Tyson fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 5, 2015

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Gullous posted:

nice quad tracks

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The 2011 250 XC is now ready to go for the year:
We rebuild the top end
replaced the starter motor and completed the 'wet' mod for longetivity (remains to be seen)
replaced the rear brake lever bearings
rebuild the rear master cylinder
added a flywheel weight
New carb hoses (heh)

My '14 250 XCF-W's is ALMOST ready for spring racing:
I adjusted the valves
New chain and sprockets
New grips
Greased the wheel bearings and steering head bearings

The suspension is out for a revalve and a freshening up and I'm considering buying bib mousse this year because I suffered a couple flats last year

I probably have another month of waiting for VT riding, but I hope to head south a few times when the bike is all back together. In the mean time, mountain bike cross training and the last vestiges of back country skiing.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Cross-post from pictures & videos. Babby's first YZ125 is mostly done. Time to crash it and/or blow the engine up so I can justify porting it because I like garbage bikes. I've never ridden on a track before and I'm lucky enough to have an OHV park somewhat close that I can (very slowly) learn on.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Time to don the pink and purple gear. That thing is rad as heck.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii

Yerok posted:

Cross-post from pictures & videos. Babby's first YZ125 is mostly done. Time to crash it and/or blow the engine up so I can justify porting it because I like garbage bikes. I've never ridden on a track before and I'm lucky enough to have an OHV park somewhat close that I can (very slowly) learn on.

That's going to be such a great learning bike. Once you do move up to something more modern you will appreciate it all the more, while still loving that retro little beast.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

PoopSok posted:

That's going to be such a great learning bike. Once you do move up to something more modern you will appreciate it all the more, while still loving that retro little beast.

f learning, 125's are super hard to ride

Where you riding the thing? Moto X or trails or woods or doonz?

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.

VTNewb posted:

The 2011 250 XC is now ready to go for the year:
We rebuild the top end
replaced the starter motor and completed the 'wet' mod for longetivity (remains to be seen)
replaced the rear brake lever bearings
rebuild the rear master cylinder
added a flywheel weight
New carb hoses (heh)

My '14 250 XCF-W's is ALMOST ready for spring racing:
I adjusted the valves
New chain and sprockets
New grips
Greased the wheel bearings and steering head bearings

The suspension is out for a revalve and a freshening up and I'm considering buying bib mousse this year because I suffered a couple flats last year

I probably have another month of waiting for VT riding, but I hope to head south a few times when the bike is all back together. In the mean time, mountain bike cross training and the last vestiges of back country skiing.

Sorry if you've talked about this recently but I haven't looked at this thread in a couple of years - what trials tire are you running? I've tried most at this point and have settled on either the Pirelli or the shinko as the best for me but curious what you think since you race such vastly different terrain than I do. Shinko is kind of hard to find but the cheapest in cost at about 70 bucks. It's a decent compromise between a knob and a tt but still offers terrible side grip. Lasts a lifetime too.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Tape Leg posted:

Sorry if you've talked about this recently but I haven't looked at this thread in a couple of years - what trials tire are you running? I've tried most at this point and have settled on either the Pirelli or the shinko as the best for me but curious what you think since you race such vastly different terrain than I do. Shinko is kind of hard to find but the cheapest in cost at about 70 bucks. It's a decent compromise between a knob and a tt but still offers terrible side grip. Lasts a lifetime too.

I use the Pirelli simply because the one pictured has over 20 races on it. They last for god drat ever. I don' really use them myself though unless I'm Turkey Running or dual sporting. Knobby for racing for me.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.

VTNewb posted:

I use the Pirelli simply because the one pictured has over 20 races on it. They last for god drat ever. I don' really use them myself though unless I'm Turkey Running or dual sporting. Knobby for racing for me.

Well that's good to hear. I'm using the Pirelli currently but it's the first time I've tried it. Hooks up about the same as the others but I don't have enough rides on it to speak to its life span yet but if you've put that kind of pressure on to the one in the picture then I guess I have nothing to worry about. Makes me wonder what the hell dunlops deal is cause you're lucky to get 300 miles on to one of theirs before the chunking begins.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Kansas City highways are boring, and I'm thinking about selling my street bike and getting my first dirt bike. Would this be worth the 4 hour drive to pick up?

2003 kdx220 for $1650
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4962936023.html

Or this more local one for $1800
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4933116282.html

What about a 250 dual sport? The closest trails are about an hour away, this would save me the hastle of renting a trailer or something and I could still ride around town a bit.

2003 DRZ-250 for $2,200
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4966453378.html

2008 CRF230L for $2600
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4914607481.html
or this one for $2450
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4966635385.html

I'd like to keep expenses under $2,500 so I can pretty much cover it selling my current bike.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 14, 2015

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

While I'd normally say a real dirt bike is dramatically different experience than a dual sport, a KDX 200 has the same 'problem' that the dual sports have - dramatically undersprung front ends. For a beginner I wouldn't worry about it.

Your big decision point is whether or not you want real offroad grip when riding trails. Dual sport tires are a pretty hairy compromise. If you want to ride around on the road, it's a compromise you have to make.

Either way, those bikes are bound to have something wrong with them somewhere. I can almost guarantee the chassis bearings in the KDX are toasty. A good way to save money is to put the bike on the stand and verify which ones are bad, then talk the guy down $150 bux for each bad bearing.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks, VTNewb. You said a KDX200 has the dual sport "problem", did you mean the 220? When you say chassis bearings you mean swingarm bearings? Would I just check for any play?

I put my 2002 SV up on CL last night and already had a guy offer to trade a 2007 klx250s, if it's in good shape that might be hard to turn down.

Edit: Is there something else I should be looking for as a starter bike in my price range?

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Dutymode posted:

Thanks, VTNewb. You said a KDX200 has the dual sport "problem", did you mean the 220? When you say chassis bearings you mean swingarm bearings? Would I just check for any play?

I put my 2002 SV up on CL last night and already had a guy offer to trade a 2007 klx250s, if it's in good shape that might be hard to turn down.

Edit: Is there something else I should be looking for as a starter bike in my price range?

All of the last generation KDX (200 or 220 from 95-06) share noodly front forks. I've owned five or six KDX's over the past 10 years and due to their age you can expect to need to replace:
Wheel bearings
Swingarm bearings
Linkage bearings
Steering head bearings
Reeds
Expansion pipe hardware(flex joints) and O-Rings
Silencer packing
Sometimes crank seals

And of course the chain/sprockets/brake pads/cables

The engines can very seriously do 30,000 miles on a top end with proper lubrication.

That sounds like a lot, I'd argue you're likely going to have to address at least 3 of those things on the list immediately. All of these things can be checked prior to purchase except the reeds and crank seals.

Any bike in your price range is subject to a similar list. Spend $1,400-$1,800 on a good KDX and the rest in getting it shod with new tires and the regular maintenance items - life will be good.