Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Really excited for this. No other book in the line-up became as fast of an instant buy as this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
been out of the DC game since the new 52 started. What's happened since then that's worth picking up?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

been out of the DC game since the new 52 started. What's happened since then that's worth picking up?

Not including launch books?

Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run starting #17, Greg Pak's Action Comics starting #25, Geoff Johns' short Superman run from #31, Charles Soule's Red Lanterns starting #21, same dude's Swamp Thing at #19, Batgirl starting #35, Gotham Academy, Gotham by Midnight, Grayson, Justice League United, Justice League 3000, Star Spangled War Stories featuring G.I. Zombie.

e: I always forget Multiversity. Multiversity.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 4, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Lot of people liked Azzarello's Wonder Woman (I think what I read was well-done, but proceeded from a take on the material I'm not all that into)
Manapul's Flash was real good.
Lemire's Green Arrow got a lot of praise. As did pretty much the whole run of Swamp Thing.
Greg Pak, Geoff Johns and Charles Soule have supposedly been doing a good job salvaging the mess the reboot made of Superman.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Blockhouse posted:

Soule's run on Swamp Thing is amazing. Dial H was great stuff. Morrison's Superman run was great too. Buccellato's Flash run is worth it if only for the Manapul art. All-Star Western was great the whole way through. Demon Knights was really well done high fantasy fun stuff, but the art kinda got bad here and there.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
No one gives it the praise it deserves, but I'm going to keep repping DeMattias' Phantom Stranger run. Extremely underrated gem.

I also highly recommend the current Genevieve Valentine run on Catwoman, if you dug what Brubaker and Cameron Stewart did with that book over a decade ago. Valentine is doing a great job of turning it back into a good little crime book.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 4, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Blockhouse posted:

Of the newer things, Grayson has been a lot of fun and a fresh take on the character by tossing him into a different setting and rolling with it. No trade collections yet. Batman and Robin by Tomasi has been an incredibly solid 40 issue run, which already has a few trades out.

Echoing Wonder Woman by Azzarello and Demon Knights too. The latter is especially one of the most underrated books put out by DC in the beginning of the New 52 and went too soon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Semper Fudge posted:

No one gives it the praise it deserves, but I'm going to keep repping DeMattias' Phantom Stranger run. Extremely underrated gem.

The Blight crossover got me so sick of it, but I liked the DeMattias issues till then.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 4, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

I also highly recommend the current Genevieve Valentine run on Catwoman, if you dug what Brubaker and Cameron Stewart did with that book over a decade ago. Valentine is doing a great job of turning it back into a good little crime book.

I was gonna ask if that was worth looking into. I was hesitant at first, partially because the whole 'daughter of a mafiosi' thing seemed dumb, and I liked the more Robin Hood element of the Bru run, but I also heard snippits that suggest it's going down more of a "Matt Murdock as Kingpin" route, where Selina's running the mob to make sure regular people don't get caught in the cross-fire?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batwoman up until the Wonder Woman team up ends.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You don't think he'd like Andreyko's touching story of lesbian vampire rape and victim blame?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

You don't think he'd like Andreyko's touching story of lesbian vampire rape and victim blame?

yeesh

are any of the GL books worth looking into beyond Red Lanterns?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Sinestro is one of those books that are just good enough, but Sinestro is one of my favorite characters so it finds it's way into my reading pile every month.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

yeesh

are any of the GL books worth looking into beyond Red Lanterns?

New Guardians since #21 is okay and has really nice art. Larfleeze was fun.

I thought Geoff Johns' N52 GL did some neat stuff right at the start with Sinestro and the new lantern, Baz, but it ended with the same boring big baddie stuff over and over like he'd been doing since Blackest Night.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 4, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

I don't even think he'd like Williams' stuff beyond that, where Kate is forced into taking on Batman and the whole thing ends with a muffled fart in an annual after DC dropped a Zero Year tie in where the conclusion should have been.

Not that the conclusion was any good regardless.

I'd also suggest you read some of Snyders Batman stuff, specifically Court of Owls and Zero Year.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

I'm really hyped for this.

Travis343 posted:

I don't even think he'd like Williams' stuff beyond that, where Kate is forced into taking on Batman and the whole thing ends with a muffled fart in an annual after DC dropped a Zero Year tie in where the conclusion should have been.

Not that the conclusion was any good regardless.

I'd also suggest you read some of Snyders Batman stuff, specifically Court of Owls and Zero Year.

Someone just let Rucka write Rene and Kate and let them be awesome. DC why can't you let us have nice things? :smith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Convergence: Justice League preview
http://comicbook.com/2015/04/03/exclusive-dc-comics-preview-convergence-justice-league-1/
Nah.

Convergence: Batgirl
http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2015/04/01/its-a-bat-tle-for-all-reality-in-convergence-batgirl-1/
Nah.

e: Convergence: Batman and Robin
http://www.newsarama.com/24001-convergence-kicks-off-batman-and-robin-1-preview.html
Nah.

Wondercon Convergence panel liveblog (Jeff King, Dan Jergens, Mark Andreyko, Len Wein, Scott Lobdell, Peter Steigerwald)
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/wc-15-dc-comics-convergence-panel-with-king-jurgens-a

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 5, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Huh. Not really what I expected. The thing I liked about Steph, in her own series at least, was that she was kind of a proto-Kamala Khan, and seeing her (and Tim?) be weirdly angsty about their power levels or whatever is...less...that.

Then again, it is a bit more in line with her characterization pre-solo-series.

Well, I guess I'll find out more when I read the rest of it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Can't say I'm thrilled about Batgirl Convergence. The art is spotty and the conversation is pretty bad, especially with Stephanie considering Cassandra as "competition" even though they're best friends.

Justice League looks like it'll be fun, if just for the cast of characters they chose to use. Couple A-Listers and a few B-Listers and it''s always fun to mix things up.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, for gently caress's sake. 'The Love song of Stephanie Brown'? This is going to be full of Tim & Steph angst. I didn't sign up for that! I signed up for Steph being awesome & Tim being awesome & Cass being awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

But does she get to pee?! :ohdear:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I don't like Cass's dialogue in that preview, but I haven't liked her dialogue basically since her series ended and I probably never will again. It's like people write her as some weird combat robot. I guess I still have some hope for that book, but a lot of my enthusiasm waned once I realized that the theme is going to be "Steph is not as competent as her friends but she's the best Batgirl because she has HEART or something."

Also, those Chip Kidd variant covers are the definition of putting in minimal effort.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I guess they're going for that saying "The more you learn, the less you know." I can buy Steph getting good enough that she starts to realize how much better the others are, but that happened like, a decade ago. Did they forget they weren't writing the new 52 Steph who hasn't been doing this almost as long as Tim has?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Awkward conversation about pissing and then Catman shows up. What a great start to a comic.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That's pretty much how all my favorite comics go

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

That's pretty much how all my favorite comics go

Gail Simone parachute account spotted

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So this is a thing

Star Trek/Green Lantern The Spectrum War

EDIT: And fromt the Convergence Panel

quote:

A reader who came to DC with the New 52 asked what Convergence will do to that continuity following the event. "What we're looking forward to post-Convergence is that any version of any character will be available to us," said King.

Lobdell said the post-Convergence reality will mostly follow on from where the New 52 left off. King said the New 52 brand "will give way to something new." The continuities and characters will mostly continue.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 5, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So this is a thing

How was the Star Trek/Legion of Superheores crossover? I've been seeing it around at my local comic shop. I mean, obviously they can't be anywhere as good as the Star Trek/X-Men trilogy, but they can certainly try.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The entire X-Men crossover was done solely for the Dr. McCoy joke

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been saying that since it came out!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So this is a thing

Star Trek/Green Lantern The Spectrum War

EDIT: And fromt the Convergence Panel

:stare: Is that Christopher Plummer's Klingon General character from Undiscovered Country????? Cause any Klingon that starts chewing scenery going on about Shakespeare while making fear constructs and blowing up the Enterprise is totally awesome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jiro posted:

:stare: Is that Christopher Plummer's Klingon General character from Undiscovered Country????? Cause any Klingon that starts chewing scenery going on about Shakespeare while making fear constructs and blowing up the Enterprise is totally awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, I wanna read Jeff Lemire's Atom stuff before the Convergence Atom issue. I could get it all on Comixology through the comics it was backed up in, except for the freakin' opening and ending specials, and it was apparently never collected.
What a world!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 5, 2015

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BrianWilly posted:

...Huh. Not really what I expected. The thing I liked about Steph, in her own series at least, was that she was kind of a proto-Kamala Khan, and seeing her (and Tim?) be weirdly angsty about their power levels or whatever is...less...that.

Then again, it is a bit more in line with her characterization pre-solo-series.

Well, I guess I'll find out more when I read the rest of it.

My memory of Stephanie Brown was even during her solo series, she did angst a lot about how she wasn't a combat robot like Cassandra and how she came to terms with that by focusing on her strengths (her inventive mind, how she was charasmatic and built up a network of friends.)
So it's natural that when her name gets drawn out of a hat and she's told she is in a life or death fight, of course she'll complain about it. She's put in the worst type of environment for her.
It seems totally natural and in keeping with her past depiction.

As for the Tim/Steph interaction, that seems stilted and forced. But Tim and Steph's interaction always came off that way. Like how Steph seemed to be genuinely attracted to Tim and wanted to work at a relationship. While Tim, just wasn't bothered. It always came across as Tim figured he had to be seen with a girlfriend, but he had no desire to be with her. It always seemed to me that Tim was written as a closeted gay Superhero, in denial about his sexuality.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, I wanna read Jeff Lemire's Atom stuff before the Convergence Atom issue. I could get it all on Comixology through the comics it was backed up in, except for the freakin' opening and ending specials, and it was apparently never collected.
What a world!

It was really bad, don't bother.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They're doing recap pages for the Convergence minis. That's nice!
http://www.theflashpodcast.com/news/the-flash-podcast-exclusive-character-pages-for-convergence-speed-force/

e: Convergence: Speed Force preview
http://insidepulse.com/2015/04/05/dc-comics-convergence-spoilers-speed-force-1-brings-wally-west-the-flash-as-family-man-back-via-preview/

Convergence: Nightwing and Oracle
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-preview-convergence-nightwing-and-oracle/1100-151871/
Hawkman and Hawkgirl beating up on Justice Riders(?) Beetle and Gardner. Fun.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 6, 2015

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Seeing presumably several years worth of comics summarised in a matter of fact way like this really rams home how ridiculous their plots often are.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

vegetables posted:

Seeing presumably several years worth of comics summarised in a matter of fact way like this really rams home how ridiculous their plots often are.

It also reminds me that in an attempt to distinguish between Wally and Barry they gave Wally a costume designed to look like the costume from the 1990's TV series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

vegetables posted:

Anytime I read summaries of Flash storylines I feel like I'm losing my goddamn mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

It also reminds me that in an attempt to distinguish between Wally and Barry they gave Wally a costume designed to look like the costume from the 1990's TV series.
It's not really the same as any other costume he's had before and is really just a tweak of what he was wearing before Barry returned.

• Locked thread