Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Actually, War Thunder gets away with a lot because you can respawn in arcade mode. I don't think Wargaming's engine can even support that, but it would make playing certain ship classes less frustrating.

I don't know what you mean by 'support' but the World of Warplanes tutorial missions had respawn programmed into them a long time ago. I don't know if they still do and I don't care to check, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Generalissimo posted:

I don't know what you mean by 'support' but the World of Warplanes tutorial missions had respawn programmed into them a long time ago. I don't know if they still do and I don't care to check, but there you go.

Just talking poo poo about WG really, I have no idea.

James Garfield posted:

I think navy field with a crew system, tiering, free-to-play setup and matchmaking like tanks would be really fun. As is, navy field did a lot of stupid things but battleship and carrier gameplay was an awful lot more interesting than in boats.

I assume you mean "better free-to-play setup", because I definitely remember being asked to pay 20 bucks if I didn't want all my trained gunners to die.

I didn't play NF very long after that, I assume the bullshit got worse.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I assume you mean "better free-to-play setup", because I definitely remember being asked to pay 20 bucks if I didn't want all my trained gunners to die.

I didn't play NF very long after that, I assume the bullshit got worse.

I looked at the website a while ago and they were asking :10bux: or whatever to just literally make your guns do more damage.
That game really went whole hog after the whales.

vvv:

Insert name here posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that CV gameplay in NF was better than this game but I strongly disagree; as much issues as CV gameplay has in this game pretty much everything was worse in NF. The automatic AA in NF would tear up planes even faster than in this game and then you'd lose half the survivors due to lack of fuel.
:doh:
I forgot that navy field had automatic AA.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 5, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I played a poo poo ton of CVs in Navy Field and I would never, ever win fighter duels because there was always that one guy on the other team who paid money so his pilots were better than mine, which would then kill off my any of my experienced pilots thus making my planes worse.

Someone earlier mentioned that CV gameplay in NF was better than this game but I strongly disagree; as much issues as CV gameplay has in this game pretty much everything was worse in NF. The automatic AA in NF would tear up planes even faster than in this game and then you'd lose half the survivors due to lack of fuel.

xthetenth posted:

I pretty much used the nose to protect my magazines because they sure as hell weren't armored well enough to take it.
I once managed to spend an entire game dodging every single shell while blasting fools. Feeling all smug, I sailed off, only to have a single shell out of nowhere and land on my forward magazine. :rip:

Also whoever mentioned making AA manually fired (or at least the bigger DP guns manual) I kinda like that idea. I always loved blanketing the sky with flak in Battlestations: Pacific.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 5, 2015

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

cheese posted:

It would never happen and never work. Everyone dreams of playing their glorious BB deathstar.
Put them in a Battleship only battledome or something then.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zettace posted:

Put them in a Battleship only battledome or something then.

You could spawn all the pubbie battleships on land and the game would be no different. They're such a laughable non-factor. I keep seeing Fusos ignore other battleships and try to snipe carriers at max range.

When you think about it, battleships don't actually have a hard counter. Carrier torps are pretty laughable at-tier. If you're any good, you can limit your damage to one torp per run, leaving the poor carrier with a dpm that could rival a Q-ship.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You could spawn all the pubbie battleships on land and the game would be no different. They're such a laughable non-factor. I keep seeing Fusos ignore other battleships and try to snipe carriers at max range.

When you think about it, battleships don't actually have a hard counter. Carrier torps are pretty laughable at-tier. If you're any good, you can limit your damage to one torp per run, leaving the poor carrier with a dpm that could rival a Q-ship.
I have yet to play in a carrier, but I think that the issue is that carriers are just attacking piecemeal and not communicating with anyone. Again bringing up NF, when you would get a group of friends going or if you took part in a coordinated team/clan fight, you could agree with other carriers to all attack the same part of the enemy battle line together. If you managed to keep the enemy airstrike away, and yours went in, you'd have their battle line sailing all over the place to dodge your sides strike, while your BBs are all still sailing in line delivering their blockshots. Even if you got one enemy BB to pull out of the line, you've managed a large advantage for the time that it takes that ship to circle around and catch up to the line.

Unlike real life, carriers in these type of games do not deliver massive sorties from 100km away and wreck the entire enemy fleet without anyone ever seeing each other. In this gameplay, carriers behave like people thought they would in the 1920s, i.e. disrupting the cohesion of the enemy force, but the actual point of conflict was still going to be decided by battleships.

Also yes, bring in more crew for the ship. In Navyfield, as people are talking about, you'd have a crew member per "position", so you'd have the captain, then a gunner per turret, AA gunners for your secondaries, a comms officer, a repair team, a doctor, pilots, etc. I think WoWS would have enough of a playerbase that it wouldn't fall into a pay2win deathspiral of falling revenue like NF.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I have yet to play in a carrier, but I think that the issue is that carriers are just attacking piecemeal and not communicating with anyone. Again bringing up NF, when you would get a group of friends going or if you took part in a coordinated team/clan fight, you could agree with other carriers to all attack the same part of the enemy battle line together. If you managed to keep the enemy airstrike away, and yours went in, you'd have their battle line sailing all over the place to dodge your sides strike, while your BBs are all still sailing in line delivering their blockshots. Even if you got one enemy BB to pull out of the line, you've managed a large advantage for the time that it takes that ship to circle around and catch up to the line.

Unlike real life, carriers in these type of games do not deliver massive sorties from 100km away and wreck the entire enemy fleet without anyone ever seeing each other. In this gameplay, carriers behave like people thought they would in the 1920s, i.e. disrupting the cohesion of the enemy force, but the actual point of conflict was still going to be decided by battleships.

Also yes, bring in more crew for the ship. In Navyfield, as people are talking about, you'd have a crew member per "position", so you'd have the captain, then a gunner per turret, AA gunners for your secondaries, a comms officer, a repair team, a doctor, pilots, etc. I think WoWS would have enough of a playerbase that it wouldn't fall into a pay2win deathspiral of falling revenue like NF.

The problem with NF's crew system is that you quite literally had to pre-plan your crew from day 1 to have a decent one ready for when you get out of the cruisers.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Panzeh posted:

The problem with NF's crew system is that you quite literally had to pre-plan your crew from day 1 to have a decent one ready for when you get out of the cruisers.

Don't forget that higher level crewed weighed more, could be lost when you paid to upgrade them further and that they would die and be permanently lost when the ship was critically hit.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Of course, I don't mean to import all the annoying things like your crew dying etc. into the game either.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Max Manus posted:

All I can do now is imagining people :spergin: over how to min-max crews for optimal performance :allears:

Then getting killed quickly anyways because all they do is dick around with their crews :v:

Having an exact ingame breakdown of crew losses as you get hit / lit on fire / try to manage damage control would be pretty drat amazing though.

"The entire engine crew has died from noxious fumes? Uh... quick! Send the cabin boysgunnery officers to man the engines!"

And a little minigame where your medical station tries to patch people up as quickly as possible... hell just make it like Faster than Light :v:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is a good 4th skill for the Cleveland? I have accelerated repair, turret traverse speed and sixth sense. I've narrowed it down to fire shot, AA range and torp spotting since I won't be taking this captain into a carrier.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

What is a good 4th skill for the Cleveland? I have accelerated repair, turret traverse speed and sixth sense. I've narrowed it down to fire shot, AA range and torp spotting since I won't be taking this captain into a carrier.

The AA on the Cleveland is pretty good and you should improve it further. Torp spotting, at this stage of the game, would probably violate causality by allowing you to spot torpedoes before they were fired.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Has there been a patch on the eu server yet? What did they change?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Is there a way to get into the beta I'm not seeing currently? Like buy a booster pack, or use the p2w currency, or some other terrible freemium bullshit like that? I kinda want to try it out.

E: vv alright, thank you

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 5, 2015

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You have to get lucky getting a key, just wait for the open beta.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
Is it worth getting the torp upgrade for the Minezake? +3 distance is nice but 11 knots slower seems a tough penalty to pay.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Zhanism posted:

Is it worth getting the torp upgrade for the Minezake? +3 distance is nice but 11 knots slower seems a tough penalty to pay.

No the spotting distance of the new torps sucks, so no point to the longer range.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

The problem I see is that the crew system in tanks is kind of painful because you get 3-5 skills all at one after a long wait. Commanders are a big upgrade because it gives more frequent new stuff, which is very nice. Maybe if they split them up into tiers with cheaper stuff available too that might work.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, capping apparently yields crazy rewards xp- and credit-wise. Capped the base virtually alone in this one:

Also, dumbest Ranger driver in a while. So our fighters are way out of position and there's a non-covered BB right there. What does he do with his torp bombers? Throw them into the Pepsi's woodchipper. Flies em right over me, turns around to attack from the other side and by then most of em are dead and the drop does jack poo poo and the rest of em get mowed down as they cross right over me again. So three minutes later, the second wave. He does *the exact same thing* yet again and another two TB sqaudrons get completely butchered for nothing. :v:

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

Asehujiko posted:

Why would you take sixth sense over the skill that improves your AA skill?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Add game types like this to matchmaking:

Jutland: BB's only.
Savo Island: Cruisers and Destroyers only.
Coral Sea: Carriers and Cruisers and Destroyers only .

Also, shooting needs to be more interesting either adding having to find range manually or controllable secondaries / AA or something.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Pimpmust posted:

"The entire engine crew has died from noxious fumes? Uh... quick! Send the cabin boysgunnery officers to man the engines!"

And a little minigame where your medical station tries to patch people up as quickly as possible... hell just make it like Faster than Light :v:

Meanwhile you are wondering why half of your fleet is ramming each other or beaching themselves...

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

demonR6 posted:

Meanwhile you are wondering why half of your fleet is ramming each other or beaching themselves...

Just give each team one ship for the entire team to attempt to control, make the remaining ships on each team AI.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

Having an exact ingame breakdown of crew losses as you get hit / lit on fire / try to manage damage control would be pretty drat amazing though.

I'm sure the average botes player could manage that just fine. Or... do you intend to go with the full 1300 crew experience? Either way the lag might be an issue. :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It would be all kinds of sweet having ten dudes run a battleship on voice comms.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013
Have piasters happened yet or are we all still waiting? Trying to find the urge to log in and get the Gearing but the urge ain't there.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

Add game types like this to matchmaking:

Jutland: BB's only.
Savo Island: Cruisers and Destroyers only.
Coral Sea: Carriers and Cruisers and Destroyers only .

Also, shooting needs to be more interesting either adding having to find range manually or controllable secondaries / AA or something.

Actually, Jutland had BBs and BCs in significant numbers, with armored cruisers and predreadnought battleships to back them up. In fact, the Brits lost several tier 2 and 3 cruisers, and the Germans a tier 3(?) battleship:sperg:

We also need pearl harbor: BBs on one side in confined spaces, CVs on the other. Or Samar: destroyers and light carriers vs everything Japanese post-1930.

Please shoot me.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 5, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Match low-tier vs high-tier carriers for the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.

Match Japanese ships versus randomly spawned torpedoes and mines for Pacific Theater Realism Mode. Halfway through the match you run out of fuel.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Match Japanese ships versus randomly spawned torpedoes and mines for Pacific Theater Realism Mode. Halfway through the match you run out of fuel.

If you pilot a carrier, it doesn't have any planes on it, right where the fuel shortages start. Only the Yamato gets shells.

Kriegsmarinespiel: there is exactly one battleship hidden by one of a hundred islands. Any ship is fair game, except for the Hood.

Serious post: does anyone think that camouflage ever going to have a real significance? For example, island camo will make it harder to find a ship waiting in ambush, but gently caress you if you're actually moving at sea. Opposite: grey and blue are great for cruising, b:t actually make sticking to land an awful idea. Blue decks might make it a bit more difficult for planes to spot you (:crowdfund:). Or dazzle cam outright fucks with spotting range at lower tiers. Or :effort:

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 5, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Missing Name posted:

If you pilot a carrier, it doesn't have any planes on it, right where the fuel shortages start. Only the Yamato gets shells.

And the Yamato runs out of fuel five minutes in.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

It would be all kinds of sweet having ten dudes run a battleship on voice comms.

I think you could do this on WWII Online, but only in one of the trashy destroyers.

Cythereal posted:

And the Yamato runs out of fuel five minutes in.

Yamato and an Agano vs. 10 Carriers of every tier.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
WOW the anime nuts and poney fuckers on the beta forums, is it always this bad on there? Why... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX4c61ZZGFc :barf:

God I hope this is a troll, plz let it be a troll.

e: ^^^ nope still no gold, check back next year.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 6, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

xthetenth posted:

I think it tops out at 6(?), but that game more or less exists.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209080/

Crash74
May 11, 2009
BF1942 :smugbert:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

RVT posted:

I think it tops out at 6(?), but that game more or less exists.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209080/

I think Guns of Icarus Online tops out at 4, but it's still hella fun. I still don't get why it's not more popular than it is.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Probably because it's one of those games where you actually have to have multiple friends interested in playing it with you.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
I have been playing the BB line and getting the Kongo was awesome, and then got into the Fuso and so far I have not been impressed. The guns just don't cluster up worth a drat it seems! I am constantly getting shots straddling the ship but rarely ever hitting. Does this thing get better with the second set of guns or is it always like a shotgun?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Lee Outrageous posted:

I have been playing the BB line and getting the Kongo was awesome, and then got into the Fuso and so far I have not been impressed. The guns just don't cluster up worth a drat it seems! I am constantly getting shots straddling the ship but rarely ever hitting. Does this thing get better with the second set of guns or is it always like a shotgun?

I've gotten some good salvoes off, but I have gotten frustrated and stuffed the accuracy upgrade into it, so take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

xthetenth posted:

I've gotten some good salvoes off, but I have gotten frustrated and stuffed the accuracy upgrade into it, so take that as you will.

Ya, putting that on was one of the first things I did. Still feels like they fly off anywhere but where I need them to go. I kind of have a feeling that some of it has to do with that reticule, it's kind of awkward to use. What's that one that a couple of goons have posted screenshots of? That seems like it would be much better.