Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I want to set up some kind of monitoring for all the various things we have here at my new place. I've used Nagios and Cacti somewhat before, I'm comfortable setting them up. Are they still good options? Anything else I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
monitoring various things is a pretty open ended idea. You gotta be more specific.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Servers (uptime, CPU, free storage space, specific services), Network devices (load especially), &c.

The kinds of things Nagios monitors.

E: Would be good if it could monitor the health of the servers that ESXi is on, too.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 4, 2015

Pengurawr
Aug 11, 2012
yeah.
I don't know what to put here.
We've started using Cacti at our company. We are pretty far fom setting it up completely, but it monitors all of those. Not so sure about HDD space.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Misogynist posted:

My boss at my last job came from a private hospital in a very wealthy California beach community. He functioned as their Director of IT and earned less than their senior network engineer, who was a CCIE.

A lot of CCIEs also have secondary and tertiary sources of income - teaching, book deals, outside consulting, etc.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Roghie posted:

We've started using Cacti at our company. We are pretty far fom setting it up completely, but it monitors all of those. Not so sure about HDD space.

Nagios does disk space as well

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the CCIE is what people wish college degrees were, a license to swim in piles of money

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Roghie posted:

Cacti is more for having a historical record and graphs so you know what happened when. Nagios is more monitoring knowing if something needs attention and not what the state was at a particular period of time (though it can do some of that). Often people will use the two together.

Personally I have been looking at maybe setting up Icinga in our environment which is one of those systems that started as a nagios fork. The interface is nicer and the configurations are nicer.

Nagios is like the thing that everyone started using because nothing else was there, and it just hasn't changed much in the last decade. Its kinda crappy, but gets the job done so if you get it doing what you want and don't change it much people stick with it. I wanted to check out OpsView but that went commercial. Hard to sell a monitoring till that costs money when we already have one that is doing what we need (just not in a nice/pretty way).

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I'm kind of curious what consulting looks like at a CCIE (not necessarily CCIEs specifically) level. It seems to my pretty inexperienced eye that it would take a fairly significant chunk of time just to get someone up to speed with where the company is at. What kind of projects are handed out, and how do consultants fit in to the day to day workings of an IT department?

Pengurawr
Aug 11, 2012
yeah.
I don't know what to put here.

JHVH-1 posted:

Cacti is more for having a historical record and graphs so you know what happened when. Nagios is more monitoring knowing if something needs attention and not what the state was at a particular period of time (though it can do some of that). Often people will use the two together.

Personally I have been looking at maybe setting up Icinga in our environment which is one of those systems that started as a nagios fork. The interface is nicer and the configurations are nicer.

Nagios is like the thing that everyone started using because nothing else was there, and it just hasn't changed much in the last decade. Its kinda crappy, but gets the job done so if you get it doing what you want and don't change it much people stick with it. I wanted to check out OpsView but that went commercial. Hard to sell a monitoring till that costs money when we already have one that is doing what we need (just not in a nice/pretty way).

Thank you! I will make sure to check those out. Ive barely heard about nagios, but im pretty new to the IT field, my current job is as an apprentice only.. which gives me a chance to "certify" as an IT guy (overall meaning) after 2 years of IT experience

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rafikki posted:

I'm kind of curious what consulting looks like at a CCIE (not necessarily CCIEs specifically) level. It seems to my pretty inexperienced eye that it would take a fairly significant chunk of time just to get someone up to speed with where the company is at. What kind of projects are handed out, and how do consultants fit in to the day to day workings of an IT department?

Not necessarily. A CCIE (as a consultant or an internal employee with billable hours) is usually brought in on projects to either a) create the overall network architecture or b)unfuck a *serious* unforeseen problem that has arisen over the course of the project. They're typically too drat expensive to bring in on anything other than a specific issue. They're usually not brought in for implementation tasks just "how do we build it" and "how do we fix it".

In the first case, the CCIE is given all the assumptions, constraints and requirements needed for the network and is usually done when the architecture is presented to the implementation teams. Sometimes they'll also have a retainer to be consulted for any issues arising as the project progresses.

In the second case, a CCIE doesn't *need* to know the scope of the project. They need to know what's hosed up and what the expectation is for normal functioning. If the CCIE needs more information they will request it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

psydude posted:

A lot of CCIEs also have secondary and tertiary sources of income - teaching, book deals, outside consulting, etc.
Yeah, it's also easier to be a director than a CCIE.

During the Great Depression, Babe Ruth was once asked what he thought about having a higher salary than the President. "Why not? I had a better year than he did."

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

flosofl posted:

They're usually not brought in for implementation tasks just "how do we build it" and "how do we fix it".

This goes somewhat for database consultants as well, which can make serious bank if they know their poo poo in a niche enough area.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

flosofl posted:

Not necessarily. A CCIE (as a consultant or an internal employee with billable hours) is usually brought in on projects to either a) create the overall network architecture or b)unfuck a *serious* unforeseen problem that has arisen over the course of the project. They're typically too drat expensive to bring in on anything other than a specific issue. They're usually not brought in for implementation tasks just "how do we build it" and "how do we fix it".

In the first case, the CCIE is given all the assumptions, constraints and requirements needed for the network and is usually done when the architecture is presented to the implementation teams. Sometimes they'll also have a retainer to be consulted for any issues arising as the project progresses.

Yeah this is my (very limited) experience, too. I used to work as a sysadmin for a medium sized ISP (like 100k customers across a few states) and management brought in a couple CCIE's to look at the network and advise us on "this is where you are, this is what the Big Boys do, this is what we'd change if you plan to get serious and scale up". I wasn't directly involved in receiving and implementing their advice since I was a systems dude and they employed a couple CCNP-level folks on the network side. But my understanding of the relationship is pretty much what you described.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

rafikki posted:

It looks like you're trying to look at it from an operations standpoint, but consulting is a pretty different game. A CCIE in operations is probably the network architect and works closely with the CIO to develop the strategic plan for refreshes or satisfy major requirements or projects. Consultants are brought in by customers working in operations to provide subject matter expertise in an area the customer doesn't have expertise in; they work projects from start to finish to save time and resources that the customer doesn't have; they provide second opinions; and they can make (supposedly) unbiased recommendations on new or existing technologies.

I'm not a CCIE, but here's some of the projects I'm currently working on as a security consultant:
-A firewall/VPN replacement and IPS configuration for a public library
-A security assessment for a nature preserve
-Firewall migration for a data center network upgrade for a commercial customer
-Major data center storage expansion for a federal client

Our CCIEs generally serve as the technical leads on bigger projects. For example, for the data center upgrade mentioned above, a CCIE (R&S) is leading the charge on the overall design and I'm working with him on a piece of the puzzle while he manages the entire picture. He has another R&S dude (specialized in SDN) working with him because it's such a massive project. As flosofl mentioned, they don't really do implementation. The racking and stacking is left up to more junior people (which in this case could very well be a senior-level person).

As for getting someone up to speed: they had me in an internal kickoff meeting on quite literally my very first day at the company. The other security engineer on my team has been sort of shadowing me to make sure I'm following the SOPs correctly, but other than that it's up to me to ask the right questions and do the appropriate research. It's not that they're hanging me out to dry, but rather that the range of projects we get is so diverse that there's really no way to ever be entirely versed in every single thing you'll see. At the same time, it's also why the job is so fun.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 5, 2015

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Interesting, thanks for the replies.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So how many years do people generally have in before they get their CCIE? I know it's a cert, so it matters how much you study for it, but I'm just wondering a ballpark. I'm assuming around 10 years?

I'm most interested in networking, although that might change as I actually get more experience with various technologies. So for now I guess my backup plan if school doesn't work out is CCIE.

Fake edit: :lol:, I just went to Dice to see what people with CCIEs around here make. I didn't find anything, but I did find a NOC position open that lists the CCIE as a "nice to have."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So how many years do people generally have in before they get their CCIE? I know it's a cert, so it matters how much you study for it, but I'm just wondering a ballpark. I'm assuming around 10 years?

I'm most interested in networking, although that might change as I actually get more experience with various technologies. So for now I guess my backup plan if school doesn't work out is CCIE.

Fake edit: :lol:, I just went to Dice to see what people with CCIEs around here make. I didn't find anything, but I did find a NOC position open that lists the CCIE as a "nice to have."
10 years' experience for the CCIE is easily doable, 7 years is probably a good number in decent metro areas where it's easy to get a good amount of exposure to the technologies, and you can do it inside of 5 if you're a very motivated person with the right means. The youngest person to pass the CCIE was 18 years old and had been studying for three years, but I don't get the impression they were actually working in industry, and I can't imagine they retained much of what they learned after the fact.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

7-10 years. Depending on your environment. You won't get there being a network admin of a small company but if you start in a big ISP and work your way up and they have actual labs you can use then it's doable in that time.

Worked with a guy that did his first in 7. I think he's on to his 2nd or 3rd now. He did it at Rackspace so your results may vary.

Rhce is considerably easier. You can take a 1 week boot camp if you actually know and use Linux and pass it. I got my rhce after using Linux as a desktop for a year and a 1 week internal camp.

Rhca is a bit harder but possible with 2-3 years of full redhat system experience.

E: remember there's like 6 kinds of ccie. Some are harder than others.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 5, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's no cert prerequisites and no experience one either. THAT BEING SAID, you really really need to know your poo poo and a CCNA and various CCNP will help you measure your knowledge. Cisco says you should have 3-5 yrs of extensive experience before you attempt. Plus it's not cheap to take (although most employers will re-imburse success) at $315 for the written exam and $1400 for the lab practical.

A CCIE R&S can expect north of $125,000/yr depending on the market. It's not unheard for some to pull down more than $200,000.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

7-10 years. Depending on your environment. You won't get there being a network admin of a small company but if you start in a big ISP and work your way up and they have actual labs you can use then it's doable in that time.

Worked with a guy that did his first in 7. I think he's on to his 2nd or 3rd now. He did it at Rackspace so your results may vary.

Rhce is considerably easier. You can take a 1 week boot camp if you actually know and use Linux and pass it. I got my rhce after using Linux as a desktop for a year and a 1 week internal camp.

Rhca is a bit harder but possible with 2-3 years of full redhat system experience.

E: remember there's like 6 kinds of ccie. Some are harder than others.

I'm assuming you mean RHCSA then RHCE in difficulty. If you can cram the CCNA in a month im sure you could do the same for the RHCSA.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I'm assuming you mean RHCSA then RHCE in difficulty. If you can cram the CCNA in a month im sure you could do the same for the RHCSA.

Nope. Rhce. Rhcsa is like Linux +. If you use Linux and its redhat you can pass it. Just cram the day before.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

Nope. Rhce. Rhcsa is like Linux +. If you use Linux and its redhat you can pass it. Just cram the day before.

jaegerx posted:

I want to make sure I've got this straight:
RHCSA (Systems Administrator) Cram for it the day before
RHCSE (Systems Engineer) 1 year experience + 1 week boot camp
RHCA (Architect) 2-3 years experience

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If that's true, the sounds like the second fastest way to six figures (the first is Ruby on Rails).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If that's true, the sounds like the second fastest way to six figures (the first is Ruby on Rails).

Bump.

This is way too good to be true.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I want to make sure I've got this straight:
RHCSA (Systems Administrator) Cram for it the day before
RHCSE (Systems Engineer) 1 year experience + 1 week boot camp
RHCA (Architect) 2-3 years experience

Pretty much but you need some basic Linux for rhsca. Just install centos and grab a book. The other 2 really require some experience.

E: now rhca is a pretty big cert and you have to pick a speciality. I'm not calling it easy but you can do it much quicker than a ccie since your lab can just be virtualized. Ccie requires real hardware and a huge network. Rhca openstack you can do in your basement.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 5, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but what do you need to run a virtual red hat environment? Could I do it on an I5 laptop? What about an I3 desktop? Or would I have to shell out the relatively minor cost of a new motherboard and processor?

I know I sound fickle, but at this junior point in my career I want to learn at least the basics of as many technologies as possible. Also I want to make a ton of money so that I can give it away to make myself feel less guilty about having so much money.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

$5/mo for a droplet on DigitalOcean will get you far

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but what do you need to run a virtual red hat environment? Could I do it on an I5 laptop? What about an I3 desktop? Or would I have to shell out the relatively minor cost of a new motherboard and processor?

I know I sound fickle, but at this junior point in my career I want to learn at least the basics of as many technologies as possible. Also I want to make a ton of money so that I can give it away to make myself feel less guilty about having so much money.

I can't speak for Red Hat but I've run a Windows server lab (DC, DHCP, DNS, SCCM, Win 7&8.1) on both a i5 laptop and desktop. I imagine Linux won't be nearly as demanding. I think you'll run into a bottleneck with RAM before you do with a decent iCore.

Edit - using Hyper-V on a Win8.1 Pro platform.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No one is going to pay you megabank if your resume consists of certs and little else

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You can virtualize centos 7 on just about anything.

The RHCSA may require a little more than cramming the day beforehand, since it still wants you to do stuff that's handled in most environments (automount homedirs from LDAP, for example), but it's a gimme if you've spent some time with RHEL or centos or fedora. It is a lot harder than Linux+

RHCE doesn't require a fast track training course, and "one year of experience" means "one year of experience as an admin", maybe. 2-3 years is a more reasonable timeframe from the start of your career.

RHCA, like CCIE, isn't a coverall cert. Take two courses after RHCE (openstack and rhev or selinux or whatever) and you can get a RHCA.

I wouldn't call this the fastest path to 6 figures because experience and projects are still king. In the same way as you look at an 18 year old CCIE or a 16 year old MCSE, certs aren't the end all be all.

Job reqs looking for a RHCE (instead of "RHCE is a plus") or a RHCA are comparatively rare outside of government, and I'd trade a RHCE for 2 years of experience looking at a candidate. I'd guess that most of the people making 6 figures working with Linux don't have certs at all, and if they do, it's because their employer paid for it. Like the VCDX, a nontrivial amount of RHCAs are at Red Hat, because the certs and training are free for us. Same for RHCEs, because we require our sales people to get them so they're not just talking poo poo.

It is not a substitute for hands-on experience with real world projects and production problems, which you need for 6 figures. The answer to "how do I get paid more" is "work hard, read a lot, switch jobs every 2 years to get raises, and learn business processes", unless your goal is some unreasonable number. There is no easy way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

It is not a substitute for hands-on experience with real world projects and production problems, which you need for 6 figures. The answer to "how do I get paid more" is "work hard, read a lot, switch jobs every 2 years to get raises, and learn business processes", unless your goal is some unreasonable number. There is no easy way.

This is the core of it for every specialization in IT. Everyone I know in a senior position is there because of experience and overall skill level, not because they have a certification. Certs are a gatekeeper much the same way X years of experience is for CVs. It's an additional filter point for people evaluating candidates. It's more along the lines of "we asked for 6 years, but they've got 4 years experience, but they do have cert X. They're worth doing a phone screen."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
After saying all that I am pretty sure a legit early 20's something CCIE is probably going to make drat near close to 100k in any large city in the US, experience be damned. Someone with that kind drive and talent is a valuable commodity.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

Someone with that kind drive and talent is a valuable human being.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Methanar posted:

valuable human being

What if they are actually a really terrible human being?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sickening posted:

After saying all that I am pretty sure a legit early 20's something CCIE is probably going to make drat near close to 100k in any large city in the US, experience be damned. Someone with that kind drive and talent is a valuable commodity.

I have always heard that CCIE without experience is a red flag for employers, given that the CCIE, unlike a lot of "high-level" certs, has no prereqs. Dumps exist for the practical.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alain Post posted:

I have always heard that CCIE without experience is a red flag for employers, given that the CCIE, unlike a lot of "high-level" certs, has no prereqs. Dumps exist for the practical.

Yeah, but the lab is hard to cram for. That being said, I agree. A senior level cert without the work experience to back it up would probably make me raise at least one eyebrow.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Alain Post posted:

That is why I said "legit". People with dumped certs are about the easiest people to screen out in an interview.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sickening posted:

I worked with an early 20s senior storage admin who was making 100k in Mississippi so I'd certainly hope a CCIE could manage the same in a large city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You probably could on a I3 but an I5 would be better. I have a 2500K (Sandy-Bridge) and I'm able to spin up numerous with VM Workstation. Your bottlenecks are going to be RAM, Storage.

I don't know what would the maximum VMs you could have but you can get a lot of done with a SSD and 8GB+ RAM. Virtualbox is awesome free virt. Somethings may be slow but for a lab it's awesome.

luminalflux posted:

$5/mo for a droplet on DigitalOcean will get you far

How does this work exactly?