Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

noirstronaut posted:

sounds like my sex life

There is no way it looks fantastic.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Phosphia posted:

I read the colour options for the New 3DS XL differ between US and EU. Is there any way to know when other colors will be available if at all? I would rather not have to ship from overseas.

Europe gets :

Black (no game)
Blue (no game)
Majora's Mask (digital copy)
Monster Hunter 4 (digital copy)

If you're importing from Europe, you may as well get the (non-xl) New 3DS, which is a lot lighter than the N3DSXL, but has larger screens than the older 3DS and 2DS models, so it's the best of both worlds. It comes in black or white, and uses the same interchangable cover plates as the Japanese model.

Cover Plates availible in Japan :
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_New_Nintendo_3DS_Cover_Plates

Cover Plates availible in Europe :
http://store.nintendo.co.uk/elysium.search?search=cover+plate

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

noirstronaut posted:

sounds like my sex life

Not hard? Well, there's an answer my friend:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is no way it looks fantastic.

Have you seen it?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i'll post my dick for 3ds games

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Rune Factory 4 is weird because it's just relentlessly anime out of the gate, but it actually has a relatively quick tutorial and once you're farming you pretty much have free reign to do whatever you want. It doesn't drip-feed upgrades and mechanics like ANB/SoS.

Then you beat the main story and it pretty much turns into Disgaea with random dungeons, numbers spiraling into the millions, and crafting that boils down to duct-taping dozens of ultimate swords together to make the Most Ultimatest Sword.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

That Snake Eater 3DS port is so good on the new 3DS, and with the actual working 3D and crouch-walking its worth playing through it again even on a small screen.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

sounds like my sex life

Talk of pirating is frowned upon.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is cheating a thing in Mario Golf World Tour? I did an international tournament today on the mountain course, and finished -7 under par, feeling pretty good about it. Then I checked the leaderboards: top 10 are -26 under par. How the gently caress?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

enojy posted:

Is cheating a thing in Mario Golf World Tour? I did an international tournament today on the mountain course, and finished -7 under par, feeling pretty good about it. Then I checked the leaderboards: top 10 are -26 under par. How the gently caress?
I don't think anyone's hacking, the top scores on the tournaments these days are just people that have everything totally dialed in and play the tournaments over and over again until they get an eagle or better on every hole.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How do the tournaments in that game work anyway, I heard that nintendo runs public tournaments with stuff as prizes. Do they still run those or has it stopped since it's so long after release now? As for the rest of the tourneys, are you actually taking turns golfing on the same course with others or are you just golfing through and putting your score up at the end?

Also, how is the DLC?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

How do the tournaments in that game work anyway, I heard that nintendo runs public tournaments with stuff as prizes. Do they still run those or has it stopped since it's so long after release now? As for the rest of the tourneys, are you actually taking turns golfing on the same course with others or are you just golfing through and putting your score up at the end?

Also, how is the DLC?

I've never played the tournaments but everything in Mario Golf is fantastic. I can't find anything to complain about.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thinking of getting Xenoblade Chronicles for the 3DS. Is there any advice as I heard the sidequest stuff can really ruin the game.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Got my New 3DS on Friday, got everything transferred over from the old one fairly easily, and grabbed SM3DL and Mario Golf off Club Nintendo. The 3D really is so good it went from barely being on for me to never being off (I gather this is a common sentiment though).

Mario Golf is so much like Hot Shots Golf it hurts, but like in a good masochistic way. I guess there's really not that many different ways to make a golf game though. Are there really just three 18 hole courses? The dlc adds 6 more? I might have to get that, good move making this a platinum reward Nintendo.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thinking of getting Xenoblade Chronicles for the 3DS. Is there any advice as I heard the sidequest stuff can really ruin the game.

Everything I've seen posted in this thread suggests you WILL get burnt out if you try to complete all the side quests. Do some and then continue on with the main quest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just grab some on the way to do whatever for the story. The only time-sensitive (governed by story events, not gametime) sidequests are the ones in Gaur Plains at the cave and a few midgame. And the usual recommendation to do the first level of Colony 6's reconstruction for all four buildings.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I forgot how much the rubber-banding AI in Mario Kart games pissed me off. It isn't even that the AI suddenly goes faster than it should, it's that I always get bombarded with red and blue shells on lap 3 and it's total bullshit. Red shells that fly through the air and follow me when hang-gliding, red shells that follow insane S-curves, it's relentless. I've started calling it "the inevitable lap 3 rear end-loving".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there any advice as I heard the sidequest stuff can really ruin the game.

Those people are big dumb babies. Just follow your heart and you'll do fine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Brightman posted:

Mario Golf is so much like Hot Shots Golf it hurts, but like in a good masochistic way. I guess there's really not that many different ways to make a golf game though. Are there really just three 18 hole courses? The dlc adds 6 more? I might have to get that, good move making this a platinum reward Nintendo.

The developers of Mario Golf were the original developers on Hot Shots golf, the similarities aren't a coincidence.

Yeah, the DLC is all 18-hole courses based on courses from the N64 game. There is (was?) a trial tournament that lets you sample them without putting any money down.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The developers of Mario Golf were the original developers on Hot Shots golf, the similarities aren't a coincidence.

I... I had no idea. I actually feel bad for not knowing that now, for holding back from buying it because I was waiting for some kind of response from the HSG team. I am a bad fanboy. Click Click Rectified.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fix posted:

I... I had no idea. I actually feel bad for not knowing that now, for holding back from buying it because I was waiting for some kind of response from the HSG team. I am a bad fanboy. Click Click Rectified.

Well, when I say they were the original developers I was being literal; they (Camelot) made the first couple games and then Sony gave the franchise to a different studio (Clap Hanz) that's been making the Hot Shots games ever since. They announced a new one for PS4 a few months ago, I think.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So this isn't Clap Hanz? Because they do good work. Are they owned outright?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Camelot only did the first Hot Shots before they started making Mario Golf games, but the first Hot Shots was the best one anyway, and Mario Golf is Sick.

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, how is the DLC?
Tournaments are leaderboard based, you get a week to put in scores at your own pace, and it shows ghosts of what other players are doing as you go. If you place high enough you get a trophy to put in your trophy room, and an invite to the next quarter annual invitational for a chance to win an even bigger trophy to put in a special trophy case + rare gear. I'm kind of out of the loop on where tournaments are at right now, the game came out last May so the final invitational of the circuit is probably coming up, idk if they're going to do another season after that, I don't see why not, it takes zero effort on their part. There are also user made tournaments that work the same way.

The DLC is insane and almost doubles the number of holes and challenges in the game.

edit: maybe I'll post another Mario Golf thread since people are interested in it again and the last one went to archives

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 5, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Camelot only did the first Hot Shots before they started making Mario Golf games, but the first Hot Shots was the best one anyway, and Mario Golf is Sick.

Tournaments are leaderboard based, you get a week to put in scores at your own pace, and it shows ghosts of what other players are doing as you go. If you place high enough you get a trophy to put in your trophy room, and an invite to the next quarter annual invitational for a chance to win an even bigger trophy to put in a special trophy case + rare gear. I'm kind of out of the loop on where tournaments are at right now, the game came out last May so the final invitational of the circuit is probably coming up, idk if they're going to do another season after that, I don't see why not, it takes zero effort on their part. There are also user made tournaments that work the same way.

The DLC is insane and almost doubles the number of holes and challenges in the game.

edit: maybe I'll post another Mario Golf thread since people are interested in it again and the last one went to archives

For tournaments, can you only play as your mii or can you play as any character? Also, are the DLC characters and courses any good, and has the dlc ever gone on sale?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

For tournaments, can you only play as your mii or can you play as any character? Also, are the DLC characters and courses any good, and has the dlc ever gone on sale?
There's 2 modes, one is a quasi-RPG thing (but not to the extent of the previous games) where you wander around a country club as your Mii, and the other is like a freeplay mode where you can select your character. There are tournaments in both of them, but only the country club ties into the trophies/invitational stuff and freeplay is where user tournaments and the weirder gimmick events happen. A lot of the goon tournaments disabled Miis entirely in the interest of fairness, actually.

The DLC courses are the best and also some of the hardest in the game, with the exception of the tournament variants of the vanilla courses that come out during cups, and the DLC characters are a ton of fun. Their stats are pretty much in line with the existing characters but they all have exaggerated characteristics that are really distinctive, Rosalina lofts like crazy, Nabbit has the biggest draw shot in the game, Toadette doesn't have much power but punches super accurately, and Gold Mario is just Mario but gold and impossible to control. They all have incredible animations too.

And Nintendo DLC never goes on sale.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Xenomrph posted:

I forgot how much the rubber-banding AI in Mario Kart games pissed me off. It isn't even that the AI suddenly goes faster than it should, it's that I always get bombarded with red and blue shells on lap 3 and it's total bullshit. Red shells that fly through the air and follow me when hang-gliding, red shells that follow insane S-curves, it's relentless. I've started calling it "the inevitable lap 3 rear end-loving".

This drives me up the wall when I'm trying to get 10 coins and 3 stars. You can drive perfect for 2 and a half laps and then you get completed bombarded at the end, still win the race, but nope, no 3 stars for you mister!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So World Tour has stopped giving me title-screen notifications of new tournaments. I can still play new ones in the Quick Play or Club menus, and the numbers have incremented (I think we're at World Tournament 19 now?) but I think we've officially cycled back around to the beginning of the tournament pool now that we're not quite a year out from release. I can't decide if I want to keep my streak of 'never having missed a tournament' going, or not...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Atlas Hugged posted:

This drives me up the wall when I'm trying to get 10 coins and 3 stars. You can drive perfect for 2 and a half laps and then you get completed bombarded at the end, still win the race, but nope, no 3 stars for you mister!

Really glad in Mario Kart 8 they made stars based only on your number of points.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Did they keep doing those Callaway tournaments in Mario Golf? Those ended up being my favorites but I remember they stopped happening for awhile.

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!

Brightman posted:

Are there really just three 18 hole courses?

I was actually really confused about this when playing the other day. Good word of advice to anybody picking it up, there are like ten courses but they aren't unlocked by doing the standard tournaments in the castle club, they're unlocked by going into the freeplay mode and doing the challenges.

But yeah, I picked up Mario Golf: World Tour as a platinum reward and I have been absolutely loving it. It was a bit of a riddle how to putt at first but once you get a feel for it it's really satisfying to make the ball go where you want it to go. Definitely the recommended pickup if you have platinum status and a 3DS.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The game is broken down into many massive areas that are all connected to eachother in a semi-linear path.

The main plot will take you through these. Think of the sidequests as reasons to explore/sight-see each area (which all more or less look amazing).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mario golf world tour plays more like the n64 version than the GameCube version, which is a good thing in my mind.

Also manual mode always for maximum enjoyment.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Xenomrph posted:

At least you get banana peels and green shells to counter the red shells. It's the multiple blue shells, lightning bolts, and cpu players draft boosting off thin air that are the real problem.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

raditts posted:

At least you get banana peels and green shells to counter the red shells. It's the multiple blue shells, lightning bolts, and cpu players draft boosting off thin air that are the real problem.

You can use the horn to fend off pretty much anything, including blue shells. I just learned this this morning completely by accident and it made me giddy since I finally found a defense against those stupid blue shells.

Edit: Nevermind, this isn't in MK7, only in MK8. I should pay attention to which Nintendo thread I'm in.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

You can use the horn to fend off pretty much anything, including blue shells. I just learned this this morning completely by accident and it made me giddy since I finally found a defense against those stupid blue shells.

I think the piranha plant might eat them too (I love when someone sends out that God damned squid and the plant just gobbles it up). But you get those things so rarely when you're in 1st - 3rd that it's hard to test for that kind of thing.

(and yeah, that's just in mk8 too)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

greatn posted:

Really glad in Mario Kart 8 they made stars based only on your number of points.
I had to look up what the 3-star criteria even was in Mario Kart 7, because the game itself is not at all transparent about it.

raditts posted:

Wait seriously? I can't believe I never thought to try that. That might make the red shells a bit more manageable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Wait seriously? I can't believe I never thought to try that. That might make the red shells a bit more manageable.

You never thought to use items defensively?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

You never thought to use items defensively?

How cute, an actual Mario Kart babby who probably never lost friendships over original SNES battle arenas.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

One of my best MK8 moments was when going for 3 stars on whatever cup the downhill ski slope is in, is in 2nd on the final stretch and no chance of passing the leader, got no items to help me... and then a blue shell comes out of nowhere, takes out the leader and lets me cruise over the finishing line first. That almost made up for all the times I got hosed over in the final 10% of a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Was a date given for the Codename STEAM fast forward patch? I'm planning on picking it up, but not until I can fast forward.