Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Doing this I realized Sims 4 doesn't have any telephones or game consoles that aren't weird 4D poo poo, even as props. I guess it makes sense from a gameplay perspective but I'm going to instead pretend the game is trying to make a point by portraying an opressive Techie future where anything that does not serve functions as easy and convienently as possible is banned.

"What is...art, hyoo-mahn? Does it raise my E-Motion stats???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

Doing this I realized Sims 4 doesn't have any telephones or game consoles that aren't weird 4D poo poo, even as props. I guess it makes sense from a gameplay perspective but I'm going to instead pretend the game is trying to make a point by portraying an opressive Techie future where anything that does not serve functions as easy and convienently as possible is banned.

Someone asked Maxis about the lack of non-mobile phones, and it's simply because they thought landline phones seemed a little antiquated on account of friggin' everyone having smartphones nowadays. They seemed a little surprised by the confused reaction to their absence!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Do any of you actually have a landline irl?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Also a bunch of in-game tv's can be used to play games on with controllers.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Is there a story progression mod for this yet? Can't seem to find it. Any other good mods? Maybe some non-horrible items/clothes packs?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

goodness posted:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/140623/dq140623a-eng.htm

SystemLogoff posted:

Also a bunch of in-game tv's can be used to play games on with controllers.

Why would they add a "techie" career path and then not let you properly RP as the guy that has every single previous-gen console because "emulators just aren't the saaaame"?

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 5, 2015

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

goodness posted:

Yes

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there a story progression mod for this yet? Can't seem to find it. Any other good mods? Maybe some non-horrible items/clothes packs?

This is the mod that's supposed to emulate the reproduction part of story progression that was posted earlier. No one's talked about their experiences using it yet though. Also someone posted some adorable Animal Crossing themed items/wallpaper earlier in the thread. Edit: Here, and some others here.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 5, 2015

Catalina
May 20, 2008

goodness posted:

My parents. For $20 a month they can call anywhere in the United States, and during power outages it can still make calls because it's corded and runs on batteries.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

mycot posted:

This is the mod that's supposed to emulate the reproduction part of story progression that was posted earlier. No one's talked about their experiences using it yet though. Also someone posted some adorable Animal Crossing themed items/wallpaper earlier in the thread. Edit: Here, and some others here.

I also did some more Animal Crossing stuff.

You can grab it from mod the sims if you want it. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551712

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lady Naga posted:

Im also disappointed at the lack of digital alarm clocks. All the clocks in game are old timey analog style ones.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

mycot posted:

Thanks, gf is gonna love those :D

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Please include a fax machine in your next patch, EA.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Lady Naga posted:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/140623/dq140623a-eng.htm

Why would they add a "techie" career path and then not let you properly RP as the guy that has every single previous-gen console because "emulators just aren't the saaaame"?

Oh Canada

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Thanks, gf is gonna love those :D

My "GF" is gonna love those too.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
But can you play without Origin?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I think that's a lost cause at this point.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

goodness posted:

Yeah, basically it's just a hotline for my mother and random Indian "Microsoft support" scammers now.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

goodness posted:

Oh Canada

There's a pretty sizable chunk of a first world country that uses landlines it'd be reasonable to include them I don't know what your point is???

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

mycot posted:

This is the mod that's supposed to emulate the reproduction part of story progression that was posted earlier. No one's talked about their experiences using it yet though.

I have REPEATEDLY posted about the story progression mod. It's not as good as Story Progression in Sims 3, but it's a hell of a lot better than the basic way EA has it, which is nothing. I use it, I like the changes it makes to the basic system, but it's nowhere close to being a full fledged story progression mod.

For example, here's what happened to one household since I turned on logging.

The Sims 4 posted:

Running alarms for Days.WEDNESDAY (3)
Using new retirement home: Landgraab
Moving Geoffrey Landgraab into Landgraab household
Using existing retirement home: Landgraab
Moving Nancy Landgraab into Landgraab household
Geoffrey Landgraab just hit elder. The mod throws elders into their own retirement home, IF you turn on that option. I did. Also it will move sims into homes randomly, but it doesn't check wealth or anything, so you can have houses that aren't abandoned the entire game. If I wanted to move into one of those homes, I'd evict the old tenants and then move into it. So again, I enjoy the mod way more than the basic way Sims 4 has things which is doing absolutely nothing and just making sims and maybe occasionally moving them into a house.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

IAmTheRad posted:

I have REPEATEDLY posted about the story progression mod.

I'm sorry, I must have missed those posts.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, now that maxis is dead, is it worth purchasing this?

Probably not going to purchase it anyway, because i am a smart man clearly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Sims hasn't been handled by Maxis since the launch of The Sims 3,do not fear.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fargin Icehole posted:

So, now that maxis is dead, is it worth purchasing this?

Probably not going to purchase it anyway, because i am a smart man clearly.

If you like The Sims, yes it is.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

While I recommend getting The Sims 4 over 3 at this stage, you guys are giving 3 way too much poo poo. It's a great game and the huge amount of content is actually really nice. I have over 100 hours in that game and still haven't done everything it has to offer.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
My painter was abducted by aliens.
Made her watch one of her angry paintings and made her paint a new emotional painting.
She made a $ 4700 masterpiece with a level 9 modifier.

goodness posted:

No, my ADSL is just a string of angels whispering one and zeros to each other in the thin wires.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I just picked up the expansion today and for some reason GAME emailed me a second different activation code to the one in the box.
I have no idea if this code works, but free Get to Work code for whoever puts it into Origin first!

(two)YLQ-BEHM-KPTP-4H7H

Let me know if it works.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Veotax posted:

I just picked up the expansion today and for some reason GAME emailed me a second different activation code to the one in the box.
I have no idea if this code works, but free Get to Work code for whoever puts it into Origin first!

(two)YLQ-BEHM-KPTP-4H7H

Let me know if it works.

Redeemed it. Thank you.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Aww, I really wanted that. Either way, thanks for sharing that - you're awesome. And grats on grabbing that, SkySteak.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Origin's not that bad anymore.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Origin's not that bad anymore.

Agreed. It's no Steam but it's also not a nuisance.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

At least it's not uPlay.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I never knew how much I wanted the MySims dolls in game lifesized until now. :3:

Grab from here, does not replace, just adds a bunch of deco.

I'm also trying to reblog as many ports from the Sims2/Sims 3 to Sims 4 that look decent as I can. In case anyone wants it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SystemLogoff posted:

I never knew how much I wanted the MySims dolls in game lifesized until now. :3:

Grab from here, does not replace, just adds a bunch of deco.

I'm also trying to reblog as many ports from the Sims2/Sims 3 to Sims 4 that look decent as I can. In case anyone wants it.

Can the dolls not be resized like other decorative objects? I never tried to, haha.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

They can be, but I want to be able to use them for building without cheating and unlocking everything. Half the fun for me is finding all the items. :3:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyvkLju7tg

LGR Plays the toilet store.
-

quote:

Running alarms for Days.SATURDAY (6)
Started pregnancy for Summer Holiday with Clay Hsieh.
Set household name = Hsieh
Started pregnancy for Liberty Lee with Sheldon Kelsey.
Set household name = Kelsey
More on the virtual story progression mod. These are the important updates. Summer and Liberty just hit the adult life stage. Their last names have been changed too.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 7, 2015

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

a7m2 posted:

While I recommend getting The Sims 4 over 3 at this stage, you guys are giving 3 way too much poo poo. It's a great game and the huge amount of content is actually really nice. I have over 100 hours in that game and still haven't done everything it has to offer.

I've logged something like 300-400 hours playing the game and I have physical copies up to Ambitions before I rebought everything on steam.

I really did love the game but towards the end the game was a horrible shambling Frankenstein. It runs fine if it's just the base game and three, maybe four expansions, but yes, the loading times and hang ups and crashes were that bad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I will say that so far nothing has made me laugh as hard as Sims 3 stories.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
In the scientist career I was assigned a task (translated) "write a research on the computer".

I clicked on the computer, clicked on "writing" and saw only these interactions. Write a Children's Book and Exercise Writing.
Do I have to level up the writing skill before I can write a research? (I am not playing TS4 in english, so it may be hidden somewhere else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirinith
Oct 21, 2010

limaCAT posted:

In the scientist career I was assigned a task (translated) "write a research on the computer".

I clicked on the computer, clicked on "writing" and saw only these interactions. Write a Children's Book and Exercise Writing.
Do I have to level up the writing skill before I can write a research? (I am not playing TS4 in english, so it may be hidden somewhere else).

The writing button is pretty much solely for the writing skill; a lot of jobs with writing requirements have their stuff under "Career"; you may have to click More Options for it to show up.