Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Ali Aces posted:

I will decide what's high importance, thanks:

I had to do that with the one sales manager here. Every email I got from him was marked high importance. I've watched him do it to emails that don't need a response in over a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Recruiters can be really lovely. Out of college I had one call me up and try to get me to move to another state for a part time helpdesk job.

On the other hand I got my current job from a recruiter that started out asking some technical questions to verify my poo poo. They helped me work things out, gave me the names of the people who would be interviewing me early enough that I could memorize them, and talked me through what to expect.

Yeah, my recruiter for this new job has had me covered pretty well. I don't have much experience, but as far as I can tell, a sign of whether a recruiter is any good is whether they give you details about who you're interviewing with and send interview tips. Maybe for less junior positions the interview tips thing isn't going to hold, because they assume that if you've gotten that far up the food chain you know how to interview.

On the other hand, I've gotten maybe five calls for what I can only assume is the same position over the past eight months. They must be having a really hard time finding people to run cable for datacenters in Cheyenne.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

thelightguy posted:

I had to do that with the one sales manager here. Every email I got from him was marked high importance. I've watched him do it to emails that don't need a response in over a month.
I'm the only person I know who uses the low priority flag. :negative:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

gently caress you recruiters!
99% of recruiters are just glorified telemarketers. The person who calls you has probably not even read your resume.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ynglaur posted:

I'm the only person I know who uses the low priority flag. :negative:

I used it for a while. People seemed to reply faster when I did, because it was unusual.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

dissss posted:

You should never specify VARCHAR without also specifying a length.

Unless you're on Postgres and want faster insert performance, since
code:
buttes VARCHAR(255)
is seen by the database engine as
code:
buttes TEXT CHECK (length(buttes) < 255)
(text and varchar are stored the same, see character types in Postgres docs)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Today I found out that my bank uses some hacked together version of XP and what looked suspiciously like IE7 on their branch PCs. :gonk:

I know I shouldn't be suprised but it was still a nasty suprise when the teller swung the screen round.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo not pissing me off: We had a little incident which resulted in a lot of long days and loads of work. My boss said "Ok team, everyone gets a week off - half this week, half next week. If you feel you don't want a vacation, work from home just don't come in to the office".

A week at the beach after working there for 4 weeks, don't mind if I do :toot:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

luminalflux posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: We had a little incident which resulted in a lot of long days and loads of work. My boss said "Ok team, everyone gets a week off - half this week, half next week. If you feel you don't want a vacation, work from home just don't come in to the office".

New pod occupant spotted!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

luminalflux posted:

drat you.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I think our company has hit a point where its like we are expected to fail on a project, but somehow we don't, so the next one is even worse. Maybe if things get bad enough a bunch of us will quit or something, then we can hire more vendors to do our work for more money. I don't know.

Never discount the power of inertia.

My team hasn't had a truly successful project in 5 years. Nothing has changed to fix the long standing issues.

We just change the definition of success to match our outcomes.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

luminalflux posted:

Take note, management: this kind of thing is exactly how you handle crunch/crisis.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Take note, management: this kind of thing is exactly how you handle crunch/crisis.

Not to mention how we were taken care of during it - beyond the normal "catered lunch and dinner every day", since we were working long hours taxis/ubers home were expensed and there was always a coffee station set up in our work area (with HR coming in on weekends to make sure we were fed and caffeinated).

I mean, the crisis sucked but there are a lot worse ways to handle the aftermath.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

luminalflux posted:

I mean, the crisis sucked but there are a lot worse ways to handle the aftermath.

In my experience, the normal way is to pretend it didn't happen and expect everyone to be at their desks on time on Monday. If there was a crisis involved, that Monday is generally taken up by an all-hands meeting to discover who is to blame and browbeat.

Cosmic D
Feb 17, 2015

High priority calls coming in with no name or relevant location information.

" P1 Incident - Zebra printer is down! Please bring back asap!! "

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Cosmic D posted:

Every single ticket at my old job was P1. Nobody seemed to understand that if "everything" is a priority, nothing gets priority.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

meanieface posted:

Every single ticket at my old job was P1. Nobody seemed to understand that if "everything" is a priority, nothing gets priority.

Haven't they seen The Incredibles?

The bad guy had a whole monologue about how if everyone in special, no one will be.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

luminalflux posted:

the normal "catered lunch and dinner every day"

So who do I send my resume to?

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

meanieface posted:

A group within my company have a total of 2000 open tickets assigned to them. Of those, 1800 are P0 which should be "The world/company is ending!" but because they are understaffed (and somewhat hopeless) the only way to have a chance of getting your thing done is to set it as P0 and immediately start sending reminder emails.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

So who do I send my resume to?

Basically anywhere in the bay area but you can start right here

edit: we also do breakfasts T-W-T as well.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 5, 2015

Cosmic D
Feb 17, 2015

luminalflux posted:

.."catered lunch and dinner every day", since we were working long hours taxis/ubers home were expensed and there was always a coffee station set up in our work area (with HR coming in on weekends to make sure we were fed and caffeinated).

More poo poo that pisses you off: My employer not doing any of those things.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

jammyozzy posted:

Today I found out that my bank uses some hacked together version of XP and what looked suspiciously like IE7 on their branch PCs. :gonk:

I know I shouldn't be suprised but it was still a nasty suprise when the teller swung the screen round.

my local supermarket apparently still uses XP, this is on the 'show offers while queueing at the till' screen:

(I took this pic last week)

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

Cosmic D posted:

Resolution: get a TSC thermal printer. Shoot zebra with shotgun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

spiny posted:

my local supermarket apparently still uses XP

Likewise, a bunch of ATMs here either still or only just changed from eCommStation, which is built on top of OS/2 or some such.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Likewise, a bunch of ATMs here either still or only just changed from eCommStation, which is built on top of OS/2 or some such.

I once saw an ATM showing the Windows XP desktop and running McAfee antivirus. :gonk:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The local Cineworld Cinema that was shut down due to a heavy cockroach infestation had cracked winxp installs on their self serve ticket machines, popping up activation reminders every so often.

Some kids pulled out a rubber strip and plugged in a Bluetooth micro-dongle then remoted in to change the "Thank you for purchasing blahblah" part on every ticket to " U fat oval office!"

It lasted months before anyone noticed even though you could see the blue LED blinking away behind the misaligned trim.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spiny posted:

my local supermarket apparently still uses XP, this is on the 'show offers while queueing at the till' screen:

(I took this pic last week)
Let this be a reminder that some embedded flavors of Windows XP are still in extended support for another four years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
and if you're got microsoft's ear and pile of cash support will still continue!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

And that existing installations of XP don't just stop working, or magically fill themselves with viruses just because mainstream support ended.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sweevo posted:

And that existing installations of XP don't just stop working, or magically fill themselves with viruses just because mainstream support ended.

Well, the lack of security support does certainly increase the chances of them "magically" filling themselves with viruses if used as much more than an appliance. The XP box a machine shop might have hosting a DOS app that runs something old and expensive is probably fine as long as no one's trying to browse the web on it. The XP box still being used as a general purpose computer in the front office of a medical facility, that's a different matter entirely.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sweevo posted:

How many XP machines do you still have deployed in your environment?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I used to work in a very large bank doing Info Sec, and that version of OS/2 was a hardened as gently caress version of a rock solid OS. From an OS perspective, we never had much to worry about OS/2 being much of an attack vector. HOWEVER, it was slowly phased out for business reasons as it couldn't do fancy graphics (like ad-space) or touch-screen. I expect Windows XP to be around for awhile, since banks are extremely conservative regarding change and the validation for ATM OS can take years. I imagine it's similar for Windows XP based POS systems.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sweevo posted:

Magically as in actually-magically, or magically as in "I just opened this email and it started doing this"?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

wolrah posted:

The XP box a machine shop might have hosting a DOS app that runs something old and expensive is probably fine as long as no one's trying to browse the web on it.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. People need to stop freaking out just because OMG the self-service checkout at the supermarket was running XP.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ursine Asylum posted:

Magically as in actually-magically, or magically as in "I just opened this email and it started doing this"?

No, I didn't open that strange email, a wizard must have done it!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sweevo posted:

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. People need to stop freaking out just because OMG the self-service checkout at the supermarket was running XP.

That's a bit different from my example though. A checkout kiosk needs to be interacted with by the public in a public area while connected to a live network and handling financial data, where a machine controller tends to be operated by limited users in a controlled area and may not even need to be networked.

I can see legitimate concerns with the checkout kiosk running an out-of-date and unsupported operating system, though most of them can be handled sufficiently by putting the kiosks on a properly partitioned and restricted network. I'm fine with old stuff as long as it has the absolute minimum amount of network access it can operate with.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Frankly I'd be most concerned about the ATMs. Given how laughably they seem to be secured anyway (there have been a number of high-profile ATM "hacks" which pretty much relied on passwords being left as default) it can only get better when they no longer get security updates.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sweevo posted:

I went to a clothing store with my wife the other day. I was amused/horrified when the cashier was talking about their online shop and swung their PoS around to show me their website, in IE, on what appeared to be Windows 98.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ursine Asylum posted:

I went to a clothing store with my wife the other day. I was amused/horrified when the cashier was talking about their online shop and swung their PoS around to show me their website, in IE, on what appeared to be Windows 98.

That was probably just XP or Vista or 7 set to Windows 2000 shell mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

I used to work in a very large bank doing Info Sec, and that version of OS/2 was a hardened as gently caress version of a rock solid OS. From an OS perspective, we never had much to worry about OS/2 being much of an attack vector. HOWEVER, it was slowly phased out for business reasons as it couldn't do fancy graphics (like ad-space) or touch-screen. I expect Windows XP to be around for awhile, since banks are extremely conservative regarding change and the validation for ATM OS can take years. I imagine it's similar for Windows XP based POS systems.

I work at an FI, and we are just now looking into upgrading our ATM software to Windows 7 from XP. Its a 2 year process, minimum, and we only have ~150 ATMs.
That being said, we have a robust firewall system solely for the ATMs, with port monitoring/lockdown and ACLs.

The only reason the upgrade is being pushed is because Marketing wants to be able to change the branding and advertising for our campaigns. :smith: