Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Austria
I don't think Germans care about Switzerland enough to even have an insult for them.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

System Metternich posted:

Schluchtenscheißer (canyon shitters)

making GBS threads into a canyon from the top sounds pretty loving badass actually.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

cebrail posted:

Austria
I don't think Germans care about Switzerland enough to even have an insult for them.

Apparently the Swiss are known by Germans as reckless and constantly speeding drivers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PittTheElder posted:

making GBS threads into a canyon from the top sounds pretty loving badass actually.
I'm imagining something like:

3peat
May 6, 2010

Reminds me of a common German slur against Italians, Spaghettifresser (spaghetti eaters)

Try to guess the nationality these other slurs are aimed at! Shouldn't be too hard.

Inselaffen (island monkeys)
Froschfresser (frog eaters)

In romanian the slur for italians is macaronari (macaroni eaters)

Some others that come to mind:
bozgori - for hungarians (apparently it means "person without a country" in some language, but I bet 99% of the people that use it don't know that; I only found out after I looked it up)
castraveciori (little cucumbers) - for bulgarians
grecotei - for greeks
turcaleți - for turks
jidani - for jews
gălbejiți (yellowed), chinezoi - for asians
țigani (gypsies) - for indians (from India, not from the americas)
cioară, cioroi (crow, big crow) - for gypsies/black people
negrotei - for black people (equivalent of the n word)
negru - it means black and it generally isn't used in a racist way, but its still considered impolite. The polite words to use are de culoare (of color)

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Reminds me of a common German slur against Italians, Spaghettifresser (spaghetti eaters)

Try to guess the nationality these other slurs are aimed at! Shouldn't be too hard.

Inselaffen (island monkeys)
Froschfresser (frog eaters)

'Fresser' comes from 'fressen,' which is how an animal consumes sustenance. 'Essen' is the verb for people eating. In German, to call someone a 'fresser' dehumanizes them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The Jew Exterminators are playing a dangerous game with that naming scheme.

3peat posted:

castraveciori (little cucumbers) - for bulgarians
Is this a jab at their manhood, or lack thereof?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

'Fresser' comes from 'fressen,' which is how an animal consumes sustenance. 'Essen' is the verb for people eating. In German, to call someone a 'fresser' dehumanizes them.

That's really interesting. Afrikaans has the same pair: eet (people eating) and vreet (how an animal eats). I suppose they're probably even the same words, but German had all those funny consonant shifts.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

3peat posted:

bozgori - for hungarians (apparently it means "person without a country" in some language, but I bet 99% of the people that use it don't know that; I only found out after I looked it up.

Is that a reference to the tribes that settled the Carpathian Basin or to when they were part of Austria?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Orange Devil posted:

Apparently the Swiss are known by Germans as reckless and constantly speeding drivers.

Sounds like they are playing against type and overcompensating for the strict speed limits in Switzerland.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Orange Devil posted:

I can understand why they'd want to drive like maniacs, because driving outside the lines in Switzerland will land you with hefty fines and/or in prison.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

That's really interesting. Afrikaans has the same pair: eet (people eating) and vreet (how an animal eats). I suppose they're probably even the same words, but German had all those funny consonant shifts.

Dutch (-> Afrikaans) preserves a lot of these Germanic distinctions that have disappeared in English. Trinken/Saufen is parallel in German, reflected roughly in the English 'to drink'/'to swill'. (My Dutch is pretty bad, but I think it has a similar pair in drinken/spoelen EDIT zuipen.) Anyway, in German, 'fresser' is used with humans to describe bad table manners, or gluttony. It's definitely derogatory.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 5, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TheImmigrant posted:

Dutch (-> Afrikaans) preserves a lot of these Germanic distinctions that have disappeared in English. Trinken/Saufen is parallel in German, reflected roughly in the English 'to drink'/'to swill'. (My Dutch is pretty bad, but I think it has a similar pair in drinken/spoelen.) Anyway, in German, 'fresser' is used with humans to describe bad table manners, or gluttony. It's definitely derogatory.
"Spoelen" is to rinse, what you're looking for is "zuipen", which is the same thing as Saufen.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

"Spoelen" is to rinse, what you're looking for is "zuipen", which is the same thing as Saufen.

Ah, dank je wel.

3peat
May 6, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is this a jab at their manhood, or lack thereof?

No, it's because bulgarians used to be known as vegetable farmers, and they'd come to sell their vegetables in Wallachia.

Ethiser posted:

Is that a reference to the tribes that settled the Carpathian Basin or to when they were part of Austria?

I have no clue, it's a word that gets used just because it sounds like a slur. OTOH the slur that hungarians use for romanians is way more straight forward - budos olah (dirty vlach)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

TheImmigrant posted:

I know, I just couldn't think of a way to easily translate that into English, though.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Jew Exterminators

Now that's a mouthful! :v:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Point out that American football has much more scores per hour of game (either in game clock or actual) and you get a lot of crying about how that doesn't count.

I think you'll find that's a cultural factor unique to America. No other country has the whole super competitive school sports stuff growing up and you being the HQ of capitalism and all that makes you reaaaallllly like winners. And the more you're scoring the MORE winning. Everyone else just cares about the final verdict. Which is why no one outside America really gets the whole obsession with soccer's low scores. Either the teams draw or someone wins. Who gives a gently caress about how much the win by?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Vlach was often used as a slur for Orthodox Christians on the Balkans by Austrians. (Hell, it's even in the official records often. My ancestors were recorded as "Vlachs" in Austrian documents when they fled from the Ottoman Empire) I imagine actual Vlachs don't find that amusing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Regarde Aduck posted:

No other country has the whole super competitive school sports stuff growing up and you being the HQ of capitalism and all that makes you reaaaallllly like winners.

Uh we never had super competitive school sports when i was growing up, probably because I don't live in one of those hellholes where high school stadiums seat 50,000.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh we never had super competitive school sports when i was growing up, probably because I don't live in one of those hellholes where high school stadiums seat 50,000.

You sound awfully intolerant of cultural differences.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheImmigrant posted:

Not having any real teams around so you have to put up with the high school kids or nothing isn't a "cultural difference", it just sucks.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

Having brutal gladitorial-style blood sport played by teenagers not capable of understanding the risks involved and having massive pressure focused on them by their community and peers is our culture, please respect it

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not having any real teams around so you have to put up with the high school kids or nothing isn't a "cultural difference", it just sucks.

That is not the reason why people like high school sports in large parts of the country. You are like perpetually incorrect about everything.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nintendo Kid posted:

High school sports are most popular in Texas which has plenty of professional and big-name college teams though?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Like, kewl.

Which high school has a stadium that seats 50,000, out of curiosity?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I misread that German name for the Swiss as Crayon shitters at first and was really confused.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

3peat posted:

No, it's because bulgarians used to be known as vegetable farmers, and they'd come to sell their vegetables in Wallachia.
Kinda cute nickname then.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Of course, there is the rare case where the goal difference in Association Football does matter: when there's a draw in a group stage, such as the FIFA World Cup group stage, the winner/2nd place is decided using the goal difference.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Of course, there is the rare case where the goal difference in Association Football does matter: when there's a draw in a group stage, such as the FIFA World Cup group stage, the winner/2nd place is decided using the goal difference.

A proper biscotto is the best thing that can happen in international football.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Dutch (-> Afrikaans) preserves a lot of these Germanic distinctions that have disappeared in English. Trinken/Saufen is parallel in German, reflected roughly in the English 'to drink'/'to swill'. (My Dutch is pretty bad, but I think it has a similar pair in drinken/spoelen EDIT zuipen.) Anyway, in German, 'fresser' is used with humans to describe bad table manners, or gluttony. It's definitely derogatory.

Yes, vreet is used the same way in Afrikaans, thanks for explaining.

And we kept the 'drink/suip' pair too. There are a lot of these pairs of human/animal terms for body parts as well like 'mond/bek' (mouth/animal's mouth). Talking about a person's 'bek' is definitely an insult. But some of them are collapsing. For example, the Dutch I think still say 'hoofd/kop' (head/animal's head) but we just say 'kop' and you usually only see 'hoof' metaphorically, like' hoofstad' (head city = capital city).

Does German keep separate terms to distinguish animal body parts from human ones?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

VitalSigns posted:

Does German keep separate terms to distinguish animal body parts from human ones?

The only example I can think of is Mund vs. Maul (mouth). Then there are several words for things only particular animals have or do, e.g. äsen (eating for deer) or Löffel (ears of a rabbit, also means spoon).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

Then there are several words for things only particular animals have or do, e.g. äsen (eating for deer)

Oh wow that's adorable :3:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Honj Steak posted:

Then there are several words for things only particular animals have or do, e.g. äsen (eating for deer) or Löffel (ears of a rabbit, also means spoon).

There are similarly specific words in English. For example, the only thing that can palpitate is a heart. You don't say "I palpitated my little brother" even if you did beat him rapidly. :toughguy:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's a map of Europe.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Are you curious about the history of Europe?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Yes, vreet is used the same way in Afrikaans, thanks for explaining.

And we kept the 'drink/suip' pair too. There are a lot of these pairs of human/animal terms for body parts as well like 'mond/bek' (mouth/animal's mouth). Talking about a person's 'bek' is definitely an insult. But some of them are collapsing. For example, the Dutch I think still say 'hoofd/kop' (head/animal's head) but we just say 'kop' and you usually only see 'hoof' metaphorically, like' hoofstad' (head city = capital city).

In Dutch there's of course benen vs poten (human legs vs animal legs). This one and the hoofd/kop one are weird because they lead to discussions with horse fans/riders. They argue that, (traditionally) horses were seen as Noble Animals, so it's considered disrespectful to use the animal anatomy terms to refer to their bodyparts.

It's really silly when you think about it.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

There are similarly specific words in English. For example, the only thing that can palpitate is a heart. You don't say "I palpitated my little brother" even if you did beat him rapidly. :toughguy:

You can palpate a lot of the things, tumors for one. It's a medical term.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

TURN IT OFF! posted:

You can palpate a lot of the things, tumors for one. It's a medical term.

The only intransitive usage for 'palpitate' is with a heart.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Palpation is the process of using one's hands to examine the body, especially while perceiving/diagnosing a disease or illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Yes, that is the transitive usage of the word. The intransitive usage is much narrower.