Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

AsInHowe posted:

Michigan is now playing exclusively Mixhigan-related music at the spring game. A great idea.

I dunno. It doesn't seem like Sufjan Stevens would transfer to the football field that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

kittenmittons posted:

I dunno. It doesn't seem like Sufjan Stevens would transfer to the football field that well.

Yeah, the Illinois album is much better.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yes, last time I was there I stayed in the wonderful Aloft on the Flats with its scenic views of brownfields and a freeway. It was near Cleveland's vain attempt at a Hipster District and the best sign of a thriving downtown: large surface parking lots https://goo.gl/maps/cMaoR

Everyone was surly, but that's expected of anywhere that gets Lake Effect. Good food and good beer is what every location says about the location they are, but so far I've yet to find anyone that can actually deliver on either.

Nice convention center though. Putting it underground was inventive. Made it a bit hard to find, but inventive. I'm assuming the long term plan is to also put a parking lot on top of it.

Cleveland is a crappier version of Pittsburgh, which is a crappier version of Philadelphia, which is a crappier Boston, which is a crappier New York, which is a crappier London, and since that's our best city it makes us a second rate planet.

That's right, I went all the way and said Earth sucks.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
In what is not remotely a shocker now that they've hired people under the age of 60 to work for the program, VT is embracing technology. They've been using Snapchat to send a bunch of practice stuff through and used Periscope(mobile streaming app) for today's open scrimmage.

This probably isn't amazing for those of you who are fans of programs based in the 21st century but VT fought everything kicking and screaming while Frank really ran the ship. Ever since Whit arrived it seems like they've done everything they could to connect to fans and do some stuff you'd expect from a modern day program.

Our AD understands technology and social media and is actively involved in the wellbeing of the athletics department he controls, y'all. :3:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Raku posted:

Not while we have future Heisman winner JK Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtk_6RttVC8

I will be looking forward to an LSU kick six in next years game.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

Yes, last time I was there I stayed in the wonderful Aloft on the Flats with its scenic views of brownfields and a freeway. It was near Cleveland's vain attempt at a Hipster District and the best sign of a thriving downtown: large surface parking lots https://goo.gl/maps/cMaoR

Everyone was surly, but that's expected of anywhere that gets Lake Effect. Good food and good beer is what every location says about the location they are, but so far I've yet to find anyone that can actually deliver on either.

Nice convention center though. Putting it underground was inventive. Made it a bit hard to find, but inventive. I'm assuming the long term plan is to also put a parking lot on top of it.

Cleveland is a crappier version of Pittsburgh, which is a crappier version of Philadelphia, which is a crappier Boston, which is a crappier New York, which is a crappier London, and since that's our best city it makes us a second rate planet.

London? What are your criteria? Grime plus high prices?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spacemonkey57 posted:

London? What are your criteria? Grime plus high prices?

Because my actual favorite city is Singapore, but for very dark reasons. London seems like a safe bet because its the throne of the West and all its majesty, success, corruption, and everything.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Is it the ultra-low crime rate due to the ever present threat of severe corporal punishment or the insanely high income inequality due to the lack of a minimum wage?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sash! posted:

Because my actual favorite city is Singapore, but for very dark reasons. London seems like a safe bet because its the throne of the West and all its majesty, success, corruption, and everything.

I hope this dark reason has something to do with your long lost love that you met during WW2.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's because it's illegal to chew gum there

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

soggybagel posted:

Blah blah blah Blah BLAHHHH *SHITS PANTS* blah blah

Nobody ever lived in Austin till ~2007.

To make this vaguely football related, gently caress TEXAS.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Can we not discuss stadium tunes? It triggers me

WVU still plays cotton eyed joe

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
When I was in 5th grade we had to do a project where we picked a song and then described what it was about in terms of themes or something. I picked Cotton Eye Joe. I did not get a very good grade if memory serves me right.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
In 3rd grade I got a D on my vikings panorama and then insult to injury the teachers pet cockroaches got lose and chose my shoebox as the one they wanted to poop in.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

Is it the ultra-low crime rate due to the ever present threat of severe corporal punishment or the insanely high income inequality due to the lack of a minimum wage?

First one, then the other, then this

Alouicious posted:

it's because it's illegal to chew gum there

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

Good food and good beer is what every location says about the location they are, but so far I've yet to find anyone that can actually deliver on either.

You're either not as well-traveled as you let on or you've got a lovely palette.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well, Jerrod Heard hasn't immediately ascended to starting QB, so ... fire Charlie Strong?

Offseason optimism is creeping in for me. I mean, these guys made Teddy Bridgewater, right? I bet Tyrone Swoopes is loving amazing by now.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Sash! posted:

This is incorrect because the best city on the planet is Tokyo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Offseason optimism

The fanbase in Ames is so jaded and angry that I don't think anyone is even bothering to watch the videos the AD is putting out about spring practices. And any comments from the coaches about guys performing well are met with anger and resentment because we fell for that the past couple of years. It was a really stupid decision to keep Rhoads around this year. Talk about a fall from grace. ISU fans don't even demand that much. Just beat your FCS opponent, be competitive in most games, and win a couple. Basically as long as we're not in last place nobody is gonna mind much. But we've been in last place for two years now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

Can we not discuss stadium tunes? It triggers me

WVU still plays cotton eyed joe

You haven't lived until you've heard the cotton eye joe/gangnam style mashup. It's like the worst stadium music, mixed together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Q9sFsa8cQ

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Thoguh posted:

The fanbase in Ames is so jaded and angry that I don't think anyone is even bothering to watch the videos the AD is putting out about spring practices. And any comments from the coaches about guys performing well are met with anger and resentment because we fell for that the past couple of years. It was a really stupid decision to keep Rhoads around this year. Talk about a fall from grace. ISU fans don't even demand that much. Just beat your FCS opponent, be competitive in most games, and win a couple. Basically as long as we're not in last place nobody is gonna mind much. But we've been in last place for two years now.

honestly when your FCS opponent is North Dakota State you should really be prepared to lose

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Alouicious posted:

honestly when your FCS opponent is North Dakota State you should really be prepared to lose

Sure, but they lost to Northern Iowa the year before so have a two game losing streak against FCS. And also lost to Kansas last year. If they'd lost to NDSU and won 4-5 games nobody would care much. But the only teams ISU beat last year were Iowa and Toledo.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Which coaches are leaving their schools soon due to age or failure?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thoguh posted:

Sure, but they lost to Northern Iowa the year before so have a two game losing streak against FCS. And also lost to Kansas last year. If they'd lost to NDSU and won 4-5 games nobody would care much. But the only teams ISU beat last year were Iowa and Toledo.

Does beating your in-state rival three out of the last four years not count for much, then? :v:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pakled posted:

Does beating your in-state rival three out of the last four years not count for much, then? :v:

It certainly doesn't hurt. And it would make a 4 or 5 win season way more bearable. Mainly because it shuts up most of the shittalking you'd otherwise get from said rival's fans. But 3 and 2 win seasons are pretty tough to swallow no matter who you beat, especially when a couple years ago there was a lot of excitement that ISU might finally be taking the next step. Or at the very least not about to take a huge step backwards.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Alouicious posted:

Ohio State beat Oregon...but I'm not sure they've got what it takes to beat the Bison.

pillsburysoldier posted:

- Depends on how patient Colorado is, but Mike MacIntyre could be out soon. I mean, he has to resurrect Colorado from the dead, in the Pac-12 South. But they fired the last guy in two years, so whether they have patience is unclear.
- Mike Leach is probably safe, but if they turn in a complete garbage season he might be out at Wazzu.

I'd imagine in the Big Ten that Pat Fitzgerald, Kevin Wilson, Tim Beckman, and Darrell Hazell are all on the hot seat. I'd add Kirk Ferentz but we all know Iowa will never fire him. If the bottom falls out at Maryland Randy Edsall could see the door but it strikes me as unlikely.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C2C - 2.0 posted:

You're either not as well-traveled as you let on or you've got a lovely palette.

Anywhere can have good food and bad food. A location that only has good food or a preponderance of good food seems to be an impossible thing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

pillsburysoldier posted:

Sigh

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Cleveland is cool and really cheap which is nice and good

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

pillsburysoldier posted:

I wish

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

surrender posted:

This is incorrect because the best city on the planet is Tokyo

goons.txt

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Cleveland is cool and really cheap which is nice and good

Cleveland has about 2 cool streets.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I hope to move to Cleveland someday and fully embrace my existential depression.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sash! posted:

A location that only has good food or a preponderance of good food seems to be an impossible thing.

Houston fits that description.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Houston fits that description.

It also is immediately disqualified because Texas sucks.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Strobe posted:

Texas sucks.

I'm moving to Fort Worth soon so I'm expecting to hear this a lot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm moving to Fort Worth soon so I'm expecting to hear this a lot.

Tarrant County does, in fact, suck.

Houston is the Jacksonville of Texas, so it sucks even more. Almost as high as its possible to suck without collapsing in on itself.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor released their post-spring depth chart today.

No huge surprises - Seth Russell is the official starter at QB, but that's been expected for months. I will say that between this and general insider reports, there's a bunch of young guys all over the defense who seem to have been making major strides and vying for some quality minutes - which is exactly what I was hoping to see, especially in the secondary. Seeing Tion Wright listed as a co-starter with a not-terrible veteran starter DB in Ryan Reid seems like a good sign to me, with some of things I've heard about our secondary getting gassed or playing through injury because we didn't feel comfortable playing the guys behind them too much. I also really like the Jefferson/Zamora/Coleman trio at kick returns - that's some speed. Offensively the skill positions will be absurd and the left side of the line will be pretty formidable. Won't be a bad place to groom a new QB, that's for sure. I also kind of want us to run power some with some two-tight end sets featuring Armstead and McGowan - that's going to be just a wall of muscle.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 6, 2015

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

God bless noonkick http://www.noonkick.com/category/2015-spring-games/

Texas Tech, Duke, Michigan.

More as they get aired. University athletics' youtube channels get updated all the time with stuff too.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Sash! posted:

Los Angeles is arguably the worst region in the country not named St Louis

Sash! posted:

New York is better than London because its a 24 hour city. London even the majority of the underground is closed by midnight. Its lame.

In other news, Jerry Kill is untouchable. He's now in the media as a coaches coach anda ll that crap. I hate it.

• Locked thread