Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

SwissCM posted:

Thanks this is just what I've been looking for :shrek:

Pooppoopfart is KK Slider in a human form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk_lNykpHBo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Minimalist stuff in general is good.

Phillip Glass is a classic artist. You got a lot of his stuff in Civ 4 during the modern era music.
John Adams is good too.
Steve Reich, from Sim City 4 as well.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Amazed by the level of detail in this game. If I had only known I could create sexy viaducts from the beginning...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

suddenlyissoon posted:

Those of you with a 4790k, what kind of temps are you seeing? I just got one and with a H100i I am in the mid 70's and hit 81 on my 160k 25-tile city. My other temps seemed normal range of 30-35 idle and 50-60 in other games.

I just got a 4790k, seems like yours is running a lot hotter than mine. My city isn't that developed though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

Those of you with a 4790k, what kind of temps are you seeing? I just got one and with a H100i I am in the mid 70's and hit 81 on my 160k 25-tile city. My other temps seemed normal range of 30-35 idle and 50-60 in other games.

The game really pegs CPUs pretty hard. Not surprisingly considering the complexity of the simulation it has to run.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

suddenlyissoon posted:

Get Prime95 and run blend and small fft tests for a few minutes to check temps. We've had people complaining about high temps here before so I wonder if the game is just really heat-inducing.

Also try multiple programs to check temps. CoreTemp, HWMonitor etc.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Runs great on mac, but then most mods don't work. I am starting to experience some slowdowns at 40k and I'm hoping it doesn't get too much worse. :ohdear:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baloogan posted:

Elevated walkways? Elevated Walkways.

Not exactly like that but here's one monstrosity I created:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone getting mad memory issues with the game in the past few days? When I load a city there is mad stutter lag [not FPS / GPU lag] I have barely a medium city on Passes and i've not been Mod shopping for ages so it would seem like a game issue or mod-update issue.

When I load in, as soon as I move or rotate the camera it locks for about 5-8 seconds. And after that the game has annoying minor stutter.

I've had a larger city before and i've had no problems. Task manager shows cities eating up all of the memory. I have the 25 tile mod and i'm playing passes so maybe it's the map, but I doubt it, this game runs like butter usually.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Start with taking the three N-S four-lane roads and only making one of them intersect the busy E-W road (make it like a trident a few buildings before the E-W road). You have too many intersections on that E-W road.

Then upgrade all the 4-lane roads to 6-lane. They're the same width and handle intersections slightly better.

Regarding the west side, that's a lot of industry. Industry needs to go to other industry (specialized -> generic), commercial, and out of town. Your little red curly-Q north highway entrance ramp is probably almost all goods leaving your city -- if you put a highway exit on the west side (like near where your road crosses over top of the highway) a lot of that traffic won't go "through town".

edit: also in my opinion, just because the road shows red doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. If it's red with no backups, seems ok to me.

Would the intersection problem also be fixed if I only made the south roads connect somewhere where a road from the north already connects? Like this

I think the big roads are already 6 lane roads (the last one before highways), I never built medium roads.

dublish posted:

Too many intersections can slow down traffic (WithoutTheFezOn has pointed out one such location on your map), but too few intersections is forcing all your traffic onto those two 6-lane roads in the west.

If you're going for a proper grid, you'll want something more like this:

The thick black lines are your major arterials, and the thinner black lines are local 2-lanes. I've sketched out a frontage road system in blue that should make it easier for traffic to enter and exit the highway where it wants, though the on/offramps are probably going to be a little cramped in that format.

And the major roads have a bridge over the highway while the frontage road is only connected to the small ones? Won't that make those small ones backed up?
Also, is there any downside to just making every one of those roads 6-lanes?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

GrossMurpel posted:

Would the intersection problem also be fixed if I only made the south roads connect somewhere where a road from the north already connects? Like this

I think the big roads are already 6 lane roads (the last one before highways), I never built medium roads.

And the major roads have a bridge over the highway while the frontage road is only connected to the small ones? Won't that make those small ones backed up?
Also, is there any downside to just making every one of those roads 6-lanes?

Also, you've got short blocks along your main E-W thoroughfares, so lots of traffic lights. In some cases the 6-lane road isn't going to be any better than a medium 4-lane because your traffic will hog the lane to turn right into the grid. Sometimes the 6-lane roads just encourage a bigger bottleneck.

I'd run a couple of interchanges off that highway to the left as well to take the pressure off the route.

And if and when you buy the tile for the highway across top you can probably reconfigure that interchange and maybe drop another one a little further to the left.

Building the access roads will help with distribution a bit (personally I think access roads are overkill in most situations and I mainly use them to deal with weaving situations) but they won't really help with the crosstown traffic flow between the east and west grids.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

For traffic issues I am having really good luck by making my residential neighborhoods made up of "F" shapes off a main road.

So like:

FFFFFFF
=======

= is the main road and each line of the F is a regular two way street, seems to be a pretty good use of the space since it's solid residential in there. Even doing high density residential in this shape doesn't cause traffic problems as long as I keep the commercial stuff on the main road or on its own branch.

Also have been using shortcuts to connect commercial directly to industrial when possible which takes a ton of pressure off my roads between commercial and residential if I can get it set up right. Industrial also ends up needing their own private exit onto the highway placed in such a way that no cars would ever consider using it. I wish I could just designate some roads for commercial vehicles only because that's really what I am trying to do.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've just noticed that the Cims only cross the road at intersections, even if it's perfectly clear. If that wasn't the case, magical space walkways probably would not be necessary.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
How do you signify a piece of road as a walkway?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Just got this;

How do i make effective use of the two prongs of the starting highway? it's difficult to connect them and they cause traffic jams.

What doe sit mean when people are complaining about the cost of bottles water?

When is it in my interest to use curved roads?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Sion posted:

How do you signify a piece of road as a walkway?
Paths are under the "decoration" tab (along with parks and trees)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Baron Porkface posted:

Just got this;

How do i make effective use of the two prongs of the starting highway? it's difficult to connect them and they cause traffic jams.

- I usually build a traffic circle on it using one-way roads. The free-form road tool is pretty good for this.

- Water pipes aren't reaching somewhere in the city or your water pump capacity is not enough.

- When you want to smash the orthogonal orthodoxy.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

Just got this;

I usually start it off with a highway roundabout. Draw a straight cross with regular 1-lane 2-way road and then use the free form tool to make a roundabout large enough to have a few on and off ramps. Then as I build my city I leave room for that round about to turn into a full access highway around or through my city.

Works we'll enough that I usually don't need a highway made until I'm touching 5k citizens.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Antti posted:

- I usually build a traffic circle on it using one-way roads. The free-form road tool is pretty good for this.

- Water pipes aren't reaching somewhere in the city or your water pump capacity is not enough.

- When you want to smash the orthogonal orthodoxy.

thread title suggestion since by now people know they should buy it:

Cities: Skylines - Smash the Orthogonal Orthodoxy

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

simosimo posted:

Anyone getting mad memory issues with the game in the past few days? When I load a city there is mad stutter lag [not FPS / GPU lag] I have barely a medium city on Passes and i've not been Mod shopping for ages so it would seem like a game issue or mod-update issue.

When I load in, as soon as I move or rotate the camera it locks for about 5-8 seconds. And after that the game has annoying minor stutter.

I've had a larger city before and i've had no problems. Task manager shows cities eating up all of the memory. I have the 25 tile mod and i'm playing passes so maybe it's the map, but I doubt it, this game runs like butter usually.

I'm 90% sure it's caused by unlocking all the tiles with the 25 tile mod.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The game runs like utter crap on Linux, in case anyone has weird performance issues and happens to run it on Linux. They tried fixing that in the first patch but apparently, it didn't work. Seeing that Linux is being Linux and the Devs seemingly not knowing what the problem could be, I would not expect a fix anytime soon or really at all.

On Windows I get smooth performance with my (aged) i7 860, even in big cities without having my CPU-Fan spin up condsiderably, I did not take temperatures though. I do limit the framerate to 30 though, in order to save some power and have my graphics card not spin up it's fan. No idea if that also puts the brakes on the game logic somewhat. Might be possible.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Do people have different districts for residential, commercial and industrial/offices? I only separate industrial, everything else is more or less all randomly mixed up :shobon:

I figured that looks better and it should spread traffic more or less evenly. Seemed to work ok until 100k people but it's probably not super efficient.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

My residential districts usually have a "high street" with commercial zoned along the high throughput traffic routes so that the trucks don't clog everything up, and then maybe a few corner stores for flavour within residential zones. Office parks are nestled next to residential/commercial zones or mixed into commerce zones, and industry is quarantined to wallow in its own filth with incinerators and landfills.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I think you people are very hung up on heavy traffic sections and what to do about them. I don't think heavy traffic is a problem unless it actually causes backups. I have many areas of my city that show heavy traffic but there are no back ups and traffic flows smoothly. I'll get maybe a block long line when the light is red and then it all clears when the light changes.

But, I haven't studied it much so I'm quite possibly wrong in what this means for the simulation. I'm mainly going by what the traffic engineer guy showed with his island valley map where he had heavy traffic but no backups.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Traffic piling up leads to degradation of services which can cause a rapid depop and the end of your city. I don't like seeing the "a dead body needs picking up" zots everywhere either.,

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Nitrousoxide posted:

Minimalist stuff in general is good.

Phillip Glass is a classic artist. You got a lot of his stuff in Civ 4 during the modern era music.
John Adams is good too.
Steve Reich, from Sim City 4 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZCQpcDkQ0o

I remember a room-mate putting this on in college and me suddenly realizing SimCity 2k music was just Miles Davis homage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elman posted:

Do people have different districts for residential, commercial and industrial/offices? I only separate industrial, everything else is more or less all randomly mixed up :shobon:

I figured that looks better and it should spread traffic more or less evenly. Seemed to work ok until 100k people but it's probably not super efficient.

Honestly, it's probably better your way given the actual mechanics of the game, but I separate my heavy commercial/offices to a kind of CBD region because I tend to want to make it more like real cities.

This game doesn't really have specific NIMBY/YIMBY for different types of zoning to incentivise that; SimCity 4, for example, would have plazas and certain rewards having a better effect on commercial and parks having more of an effect on residential, so you'd kinda wanna have a CBD so you could stuff it full of plazas.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, it's probably better your way given the actual mechanics of the game, but I separate my heavy commercial/offices to a kind of CBD region because I tend to want to make it more like real cities.

This game doesn't really have specific NIMBY/YIMBY for different types of zoning to incentivise that; SimCity 4, for example, would have plazas and certain rewards having a better effect on commercial and parks having more of an effect on residential, so you'd kinda wanna have a CBD so you could stuff it full of plazas.

Commercial definitely produces noise pollution, though. For my "mixed-use" districts, the houses next to the shops are always complaining about noise.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This is how I like to set up my zones. Main central thoroughfares are zoned with offices, exterior roads lined with commercial, everything in the middle residential. Offices and commercial don't complain about noise pollution, so putting them on larger roads is a good idea. At the same time offices need as many, if not more services, than your residential, so putting them in central locations is generally a good call. Commercial, on the other hand, needs almost nothing to level up, so it's always safe to put them on the outside and still max them out easily. Of course sometimes I just put my offices in chunks if the demand for industrial calls for enough.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Hubis posted:

Commercial definitely produces noise pollution, though. For my "mixed-use" districts, the houses next to the shops are always complaining about noise.

Yeah, this is why I usually have a bit of a buffer or just tell them to suck it up. I've used commercial as a noise buffer as well, but if anything it seems that a commercial zone generates more noise pollution than a barriered up highway. But it's another good reason to put commercial next to the busiest thoroughfares.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I love it when a cim complains about the noise and I click on them to zoom and see what the problem is and they are in the middle of a high density commercial zone shopping for 12 hours.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I never have major issues with noise pollution after I take care of everything else. Get fully upgraded residential right next to major streets or commercial. Enough parks and schools will override it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419861445&searchtext=rail

Well, I think I know what map my next city will be on, just for shits and giggles.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Alkydere posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419861445&searchtext=rail

Well, I think I know what map my next city will be on, just for shits and giggles.

This owns. Closest to a sci-fi biodome world. :3:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

This stupid train had not only been floating here for (in game) years, it was blocking my trains the entire time. I have to delete all the rails around this area to get rid of it.

Also, the eden project may as well be a cheat piece.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I tried to implement the frontage road system to the best of my limited abilities.

Is this how it's suppsoed to be?
And does it matter that both sides (east and west) get access to both lanes or is it enough to connect to the other highway point further south on the map and if the west side wants to export they'll just go there?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Antti posted:

- I usually build a traffic circle on it using one-way roads. The free-form road tool is pretty good for

Could you clarify what this entails? Still cant figure out what the opening move for the highway connections is.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Whoops. I was too busy planning a new industrial district I wasn't paying much attention to what I was doing plumbing wise. "gently caress it, pump water in from the lake!" A few minutes later I needed an outlet, "gently caress it, dump it into the lake!" Forty-four thousand dead CIMS later...

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Whoops. I was too busy planning a new industrial district I wasn't paying much attention to what I was doing plumbing wise. "gently caress it, pump water in from the lake!" A few minutes later I needed an outlet, "gently caress it, dump it into the lake!" Forty-four thousand dead CIMS later...

i have to play this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Matthew Beet posted:

i have to play this game

It is really really good!