Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The implementation of free spells was hosed up beyond all belief but I don't think there's anything inherently bad about "a spell that requires you to pay mana upfront but gives you back the mana if it resolves". It should really be more of a way to help aggressive decks roll out more quickly (but at the cost of having weaker cards and risking overextension) than a "draw your whole deck" mechanic though.

e: actually you really don't want to print too many of them anyway.

They could also just do a smaller version. 2UU spell, untaps two or three lands you control or something. Same general concept, just not totally "free".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm loving Tom Ross' Bant Heroic deck from SCG.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I haven't played Magic too much in the last year, and I haven't followed it at all since right before I quit working at the card shop, so why the hell are Zendikar fetches back down in the 30s? Just decreased demand now that people can play on-color fetches in modern?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Literally The Worst posted:

I haven't played Magic too much in the last year, and I haven't followed it at all since right before I quit working at the card shop, so why the hell are Zendikar fetches back down in the 30s? Just decreased demand now that people can play on-color fetches in modern?

That and people are expecting to be reprinted in the upcoming Zendikar 2.0 sets.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

That and people are expecting to be reprinted in the upcoming Zendikar 2.0 sets.

Word. I was looking to build a big dopey EDH combo deck to goldfish now that I'm making a little extra money and besides duals (lol @ u if you don't proxy duals in a dumb casual format) fetches are almost always the most expensive thing. Good to know poo poo's coming down to affordable levels.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I have the two green fetches from KTK (two Windswept Heath, one Wooded Foothills). Do you think that I'd be able to convert them into blue fetches? Really out of touch with MTG pricing/trading stuff.

VV: True :v: I guess it was more of a general question, but yeah, it probably depends a lot on the people you wanna trade with.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 5, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serperoth posted:

I have the two green fetches from KTK (two Windswept Heath, one Wooded Foothills). Do you think that I'd be able to convert them into blue fetches? Really out of touch with MTG pricing/trading stuff.

Why would you ask the guy who didn't know why prices were so low and are you looking for ally or enemy colors

I mean the short answer is going to be "look at prices and see how close what you have comes to waht you want"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Word. I was looking to build a big dopey EDH combo deck to goldfish now that I'm making a little extra money and besides duals (lol @ u if you don't proxy duals in a dumb casual format) fetches are almost always the most expensive thing. Good to know poo poo's coming down to affordable levels.

When you actually have the duals you don't have to proxy them :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The good news is, now that dickeye is back mcmagic won't get all the heat. Or maybe it'll result in more meta posting, who knows. :allears:

Serperoth posted:

Easily. People will want the green for standard and they'll both be on par in a few months.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

The good news is, now that dickeye is back mcmagic won't get all the heat. Or maybe it'll result in more meta posting, who knows. :allears:

Easily. People will want the green for standard and they'll both be on par in a few months.

"Back"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

The difference in price between the cheapest and most expensive KTK fetches is about $5.

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The implementation of free spells was hosed up beyond all belief but I don't think there's anything inherently bad about "a spell that requires you to pay mana upfront but gives you back the mana if it resolves". It should really be more of a way to help aggressive decks roll out more quickly (but at the cost of having weaker cards and risking overextension) than a "draw your whole deck" mechanic though.

e: actually you really don't want to print too many of them anyway.

There were a couple of spells like that in Mirrodin, something like 2G Instant - Destroy target artifact. Add GGG to your mana pool.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://sales.starcitygames.com//dec...e=NY&country=US

Ctrl+F Aggro

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A new meta is full of aggro decks.

Who knew!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Toshimo invitational token spotted

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Toshimo invitational token spotted

Bring on the foaming at the mouth about how wrong we are!

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Having your opponent Monstrous a Stormbreath and then swing for a net -20 damage because you paid one green to flip a Mystic :feelsgood:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I just saw a player cast Abzan Advantage on Tom Ross. Ross sacrifices Ordeal of Thassa, still gets to draw 2 cards, because of the way Ordeals are worded. I never knew it worked like that, awesome.

Dromoka's Command makes even more sense in Tom's deck now.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Have we been told what sets the new Modern Masters will be covering, or any cards that have been confirmed as included?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Through NPH.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Alris posted:

Have we been told what sets the new Modern Masters will be covering, or any cards that have been confirmed as included?

Eighth Edition up through New Phyrexia, we've seen Tarmogoyf, Etched Champion, Emrakul, and Karn Liberated.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Alris posted:

8th Edition through New Phyrexia (so no Innistrad) . They've previewed Karn Liberated, Goyf, Emrakruel and Etched Champion So far

Edit: If only I was quicker at posting.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alris posted:

We know Goyf, Karn, and Emrakul are in. Etched Champion is in some promo material so it's probably in too. New Phyrexia is the most recent set.

E: Double beaten

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Eighth Edition up through New Phyrexia, we've seen Tarmogoyf, Etched Champion, Emrakul, and Karn Liberated.

When did they show Goyf and Karn, I missed those being announced

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

forbidden lesbian posted:

When did they show Goyf and Karn, I missed those being announced

PAX East Panel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The good: I got to Windstorm 2 Thunderbreak Regents and a Thunderbreak and an Icefall Regent, oh the salt. The bad. I missed top 8 of the IQ on being 1 mana short of flipping an Elvish Mystic with Mastery and gaining 14 life on a mulliganed game 3...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

A new meta is full of aggro decks.

Who knew!

Yeah I think 27 of the top 32 having the "aggro" label is a little much even relative to the usual expectations.

Nevermind that one of those other 5 was Heroic which is also an aggro deck

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah I think 27 of the top 32 having the "aggro" label is a little much even relative to the usual expectations.

Nevermind that one of those other 5 was Heroic which is also an aggro deck

It's obviously SCG getting back at us for the endless bitching of the majority of the meta previously being midrange. Clearly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The definition of "aggro" is being stretched to hell when a deck with the Mystic/Caryatid/Courser ramp strategy is being defined as "aggro" because it wins with swinging creatures.

And the "Abzan Aggro" at #2 is a pretty typical Junk deck. Seriously the differences between it and the Jund Midrange is that the Abzan deck doesn't have 7-drops.

poo poo man all the Abzan Aggros are just Junk decks.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

CVM's deck is mislabeled. It's playing 7-drops, 0 Heir of the Wilds, 0 Rabblemaster, 0 Surrak, and 0 Rattleclaws while running 4 copies of Caryatid and Courser.

That said clearly this shows GR aggro and Abzan aggro are very dominant right now, and the mono R/Rg aggro decks are also a major threat as they are in every format ever. Surrak is better than anyone could have guessed, and Thunderbreak Regent is everywhere as expected.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ultima66 posted:

CVM's deck is mislabeled. It's playing 7-drops, 0 Heir of the Wilds, 0 Rabblemaster, 0 Surrak, and 0 Rattleclaws while running 4 copies of Caryatid and Courser.

That said clearly this shows GR aggro and Abzan aggro are very dominant right now, and the mono R/Rg aggro decks are also a major threat as they are in every format ever. Surrak is better than anyone could have guessed, and Thunderbreak Regent is everywhere as expected.

Again, turns out that a 4/4 for 4 flier, which is already good enough, having bolt an opponent because you targeted it, is really loving good.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The definition of "aggro" is being stretched to hell when a deck with the Mystic/Caryatid/Courser ramp strategy is being defined as "aggro" because it wins with swinging creatures.

And the "Abzan Aggro" at #2 is a pretty typical Junk deck. Seriously the differences between it and the Jund Midrange is that the Abzan deck doesn't have 7-drops.

poo poo man all the Abzan Aggros are just Junk decks.

Abzan Aggro specifically plays Fleecemanes and Rakshasas and Anafenzas, the non-aggro Abzan decks run Caryatid/Wayfinder and Courser instead. The reason you would consider it a typical junk deck is because the midrange Abzan deck has basically totally died out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Again, turns out that a 4/4 for 4 flier, which is already good enough, having bolt an opponent because you targeted it, is really loving good.

Yes, the card is scary as hell but it's a pretty easy deck to fight against if you're ready for it though so I don't really see that GR Aggro deck being a top tier deck for the next few months or so. It's not close in power level to the Jund Monsters decks from last standard.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yes, the card is scary as hell but it's a pretty easy deck to fight against if you're ready for it though so I don't really see that GR Aggro deck being a top tier deck for the next few months or so. It's not close in power level to the Jund Monsters decks from last standard.

Out of curiosity, what would you use to fight it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Goddamn, Todd. You were the one hope I had with Jeskai Tokens making it, but you screwed it up! :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ramos posted:

Out of curiosity, what would you use to fight it?

It's not really fast enough to get under MonoR aggro and it's bad vs control decks with a lot of Board Wipes. It's a deck that just destroys midrange matchups. It seems like it's good vs Abzan decks so it could push them out of the meta for the time being.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's not really fast enough to get under MonoR aggro and it's bad vs control decks with a lot of Board Wipes. It's a deck that just destroys midrange matchups. It seems like it's good vs Abzan decks so it could push them out of the meta for the time being.

Mono Red aggro I agree with, but boardwipe control? We don't really have all that many boardwipes and they're relatively subpar to boot or don't do enough damage to kill the dragon. And counterspells are also eh. It seems to really exist to punish grindier decks without flying creatures.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Who could've guessed that a 5/4 for 4 with a major upside could be good? Although I think Dromoka's Command is a bigger factor, it's super good against rival aggro decks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

There were a couple of spells like that in Mirrodin, something like 2G Instant - Destroy target artifact. Add GGG to your mana pool.

At the same time blue was getting Time Spiral and Frantic Search, Black was getting that version. Guess which one was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Untapping lands is a hell of a lot more powerful than adding mana straight up. Just consider that Cloud of Faeries is in the same set as Miscalculate.

• Locked thread