Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

You mean their satellite based Internet? If you enjoy high prices, slow speeds, and ridiculously small quotas, than its the perfect ISP for you!

Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/internet-phone/satellite-internet/

Check out all the fine print.

First, those prices are only with certain TV packages. Then there's a 2-year contract. There's a $10 modem fee and I'm going to bet you can't roll your own modem with their stuff. There's also a possible $300 activation fee :v: You also have off-peak quotas and on-peak quotas.

Satellite internet is basically your last option if you're in the woods or something like that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can I still not register/subscribe to HBO Now?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can I still not register/subscribe to HBO Now?

It's not out yet.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Pillowpants posted:

Isn't HBO $10 a month with cable why would I pay $15?

I think comcast's sticker price is $20 too, but they tend to toss it in as a freebie for lots of things. They also have a internet + ultra basic tv + hbo package that's not very much more than their regular internet pricing, though I forget if that involves a promo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jabro posted:

It's not out yet.

Yeah I know. I just thought they'd let people register by now to get billed starting when it comes out. Hope their servers can handle it all on one day I guess.

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Satellite internet is basically your last option if you're in the woods or something like that.

Or you could just buy a Nanostation.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Superb Owls posted:

Or you could just buy a Nanostation.

I thought Nanostations were for extending voice cell service using hard line internet?

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

I thought Nanostations were for extending voice cell service using hard line internet?

Other way around, mate.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So its PBS the only "premium" AppleTV channel that doesn't require provider activation? I'm trying to watch from Canada so obviously I won't be activating with my "provider" any time soon. Was hoping some of the other channels were just geo-locked and not provider-locked :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Martytoof posted:

So its PBS the only "premium" AppleTV channel that doesn't require provider activation? I'm trying to watch from Canada so obviously I won't be activating with my "provider" any time soon. Was hoping some of the other channels were just geo-locked and not provider-locked :(

It's more the fault of the cable/satellite providers than Apple. Hopefully that rumored streaming service happens and can solve some of your problems. In the meantime, hit up a US friend that has a login you can use.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's more the fault of the cable/satellite providers than Apple. Hopefully that rumored streaming service happens and can solve some of your problems. In the meantime, hit up a US friend that has a login you can use.

Will registering my AppleTV deregister theirs? :aaaaa:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Will registering my AppleTV deregister theirs? :aaaaa:

I honestly have no idea. I would imagine not. The registering process is really just a way to authenticate your device without doing the username/password thing on the Apple TV. If you have a buddy just give it a shot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! They just gave me access to ABC, but they don't sub CNBC which is what I was hoping for so I'll keep hunting for buddies, thanks :)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Roku updated the Roku 3 and Roku2 today.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/6/8351299/new-roku-streaming-boxes-2015-announced

The Verge posted:

Roku is refreshing its very successful line of set-top boxes today. The new players have already appeared a bit prematurely at retailers in recent days, but today they're official. First up, the flagship Roku 3 is gaining voice search, which should put it on better footing against Amazon's Fire TV box.

It's basically what you'd expect; hit the dedicated voice search button on Roku 3's new remote, and speak out the name of a movie, show, actor, or director you're looking for. Results come up instantly, and in a brief demo, the Roku proved very accurate at understanding a spoken name or film title. As usual, you can click through and Roku's software will tell you where you can watch a specified movie or show based on which video services you currently subscribe to. You can initiate a voice search from anywhere (and at any time), though if you do so mid-movie, you'll briefly be taken out of Netflix or whatever app you were watching to see your results. The "new" Roku 3 retains its $99 price point.

Roku voice search

Another new software feature being introduced today, the Roku Feed, aims to give you a heads up whenever movies in theaters right now eventually make their way to on-demand services including Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, Netflix, and others. Add a film like Furious 7 or The Divergent Series: Insurgent to your feed, and Roku will automatically notify you the moment it's available to stream somewhere.

"Follow movies from the theater to your favorite streaming services"

This "Movies Coming Soon" feature is just the beginning of Roku Feed, so it should be interesting to see where else the company takes it. My request would be for the Roku to present users with its own list of movies and shows leaving Netflix and Amazon soon, but we're not there yet. For now, we've still got you covered there.

Roku movies coming soon

But the best announcement today is most definitely the new Roku 2. Roku's middle-of-the-line media streamer isn't really so "middle" anymore. It's been upgraded with the same hardware specs and speedy performance as the Roku 3. The two devices are basically identical now. By going with the Roku 2, you lose out on the 3's fancier voice-capable remote, but since you can also initiate voice search with the Roku smartphone app — also being updated today — that's unlikely to be a deal breaker for most people.

At $69, this much faster Roku 2 is a pretty nice deal when lined up next to the Apple TV and Amazon's set-top box. It's in the same "impulse buy" territory Apple was shooting for with its recent price cut, and I'd probably pick this over Apple's aging box — even if you won't be able to watch HBO Now for a few months. The shortcut buttons that Roku chooses for its remotes change from time to time. On Roku 3, you'll now see Netflix, Amazon, Rdio, and Hulu. On the Roku 2, Sling TV takes Hulu's spot, which should give Dish's internet TV service some nice exposure. Both new players are available starting now. Looking beyond today, the obvious question is when we'll see an even more powerful Roku 4, but the company is keeping quiet on that subject for now.

tl;dr
Roku 3s will now have voice search on the remote in the new product batches but at the $99 price point (explains why they seemed to be getting rid of older stock recently)
Roku app will now allow voice search.
Roku UI will now include a Roku Feed which will let you know when the movies that you are following are going to be stream-able. It could be used to let you know what movies are going off of Netflix and what movies are being added.
The biggest news is that the Roku 2's hardware is being upgrade to current Roku 3 specs and the price point is $69.

I am guessing that a Roku 4 is still a year away.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Nahhhh I'ma get an Apple TV because

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There are already a couple of different (older) Roku2 models. Adding another with much newer specs is sure to decrease consumer confusion.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Wonder if you can buy the new remote for a Roku 3 if you don't want to use the app.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
That's my question, even though I do prefer the app version to the regular remote.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, I was contemplating buying a Roku but I was holding off until they announced whatever it was that they were going to announce.

I guess I'm glad I did because I can save $30 and get the Roku 2. Really, the only difference with the Roku 3 is the remote. Since I was likely going to use my Harmony remote most of the time and I could use voice search from within the app, there's really no reason at all to get the Roku 3 now.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Less than a week from GOT and no news as to when HBO Now is going live. Its a bit irritating because I'd like to know what the quality is like before going for it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You get a free 30-day trial.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I'm thinking of switching from cable to Sling, but the big drawback seems to be lack of DVR. Is there anyway to get around this? What's the prevailing feedback on Sling?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Cornuto posted:

I'm thinking of switching from cable to Sling, but the big drawback seems to be lack of DVR. Is there anyway to get around this? What's the prevailing feedback on Sling?

I'm a fan. It covers nearly every channel I want for a hell of a lot less and they seem to be doing a good job adding channels into the basic package as well as adding good stuff to the add-on packages. Some of the channels let you watch some older episodes but not all.

geera
May 20, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Less than a week from GOT and no news as to when HBO Now is going live. Its a bit irritating because I'd like to know what the quality is like before going for it.
Looks like they just opened up the service. You can sign up for the free trial now at https://www.hbonow.com (and the HBO Now app just got pushed to AppleTVs).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cornuto posted:

Lack of a DVR and poor "on demand" content was the deal breaker for Sling for me, I stuck with cable for now. I don't watch anything live anymore.

I figured I'd check back later this year and see if it had gotten any better.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
HBO Now is available from the app store. You can start your free trial today.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/07/hbo-now-goes-live-apple-tv/

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Sling HBO on-demand package still isn't available, though :mad:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

geera posted:

Looks like they just opened up the service. You can sign up for the free trial now at https://www.hbonow.com (and the HBO Now app just got pushed to AppleTVs).

No you can't, if you click on start your free trial it just tells you to download the app or sign in with an Optimum account.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Guess they heard me, ill shut up.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ProSlayer posted:

HBO Now is available from the app store. You can start your free trial today.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/07/hbo-now-goes-live-apple-tv/

Once I get HBO Now on my iPhone, can it be cast to my Chromecast, or is it ATV only?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

porktree posted:

Once I get HBO Now on my iPhone, can it be cast to my Chromecast, or is it ATV only?

I see no Chromecast option.

Edit: That said, I can log in from my Surface, so for the time being I'll probably just HDMI out to my TV. Not ideal, but I already have too many things hooked up to my TV to consider an Apple TV.

tk fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 7, 2015

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I'm trying to sign up and it keeps saying "something went wrong, try again" when trying to register. I think it went through, but the password I gave isn't working and now the forgot password link appears broken. Smooth so far.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tk posted:

I see no Chromecast option.

Edit: That said, I can log in from my Surface, so for the time being I'll probably just HDMI out to my TV. Not ideal, but I already have too many things hooked up to my TV to consider an Apple TV.

If you can log on via Surface and you have a Chromecast you can just cast a chrome tab.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Caseman posted:

I'm trying to sign up and it keeps saying "something went wrong, try again" when trying to register. I think it went through, but the password I gave isn't working and now the forgot password link appears broken. Smooth so far.

Don't use special characters in your password. I think I read somewhere that this is causing people problems.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Don't use special characters in your password. I think I read somewhere that this is causing people problems.

This is what I get for giving a poo poo about security. Had to open a ticket, just hope it gets answered by Sunday.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Caseman posted:

This is what I get for giving a poo poo about security. Had to open a ticket, just hope it gets answered by Sunday.

You're not in the wrong here. That's just dumb backend.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Medullah posted:

If you can log on via Surface and you have a Chromecast you can just cast a chrome tab.

A lot of the times casting a tab sucks, and the audio/video gets out of sync, becomes choppy for a few seconds etc. Definitely not an optimal viewing experience for a lot of content on the web.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

A lot of the times casting a tab sucks, and the audio/video gets out of sync, becomes choppy for a few seconds etc. Definitely not an optimal viewing experience for a lot of content on the web.

I was going to type something up about how Mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI is a much better solution at this point but then I noticed TK's original post mentioned doing exactly that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Slowhanded posted:

You're not in the wrong here. That's just dumb backend.

HBO Now is cool but it's missing a lot of basic features (watch history, bookmarking system that doesn't just link you to the most recent episode, autoplay, etc) and feels like a rushed product. The password issue is pretty stupid, too. Hopefully they update things over time.