Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nickoten posted:

Why are we comparing Hyrule Warriors to Final Fantasy? :confused:

I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

So I've decided it's time to own a Nintendo console again. The last one I had was the N64, so I completely missed out on the Gamecube and Wii.

I've already got a PS4 for stuff like Bloodborne, TLoU, and CoD/BF. I'm mostly looking for fun stuff like colorful platformers or 3d adventures like Mario 64 or Jak & Daxter, and maybe some A/RPGs. I also want games that I can play co-op with my fiance. She's mostly a non-gamer, but had a lot of fun when I got her to play Little Big Planet 3 with me. She's expressed interest in playing Wii Sports before too.

I've got about $500 pre-tax I can drop on this purchase.I think I'll either get the Mario Kart 8 or Super Mario 3d World bundle. What extra controllers do I have to buy for co-op, and what are some recommended co-op games for the U or the original Wii? And are there any other must-have accessories or games I should pick up? I have zero interest in playing Bayonetta 2. I haven't played any of the post N64 Zelda or Mario games, so I'm not sure which ones I should check out.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If you're cool with buying refurbished stuff, Nintendo's site has a Wii U + Nintendoland + Super Mario 3D World bundle for $225. I bought one and it was brand new, couldn't be happier. There's a surprising amount of content in Nintendoland, and almost all of it is co-op.

They also have Mario Kart 8 with a WiiMote Plus (which you'll want for Wii games) for $60.

Pick up a Nunchuk for the WiiMote as well as a Pro Controller (optional since you'll have two controllers, but it's really nice), and then you'll have all your bases covered. I'd personally suggest grabbing Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, and/or Hyrule Warriors as well. They're all terrific games with lots of co-op, and they feel significantly different from the other titles so you'll have a nice variety of games.

EDIT: If you're looking for traditional Mario/Zelda games I'd say that Wind Waker HD and Mario 3D World + Galaxy are your best bets.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 5, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
^Everything this poster said, + Rayman Legends is good for Co-op and New Super Mario Bros. U is fantastic (also with co-op) specially since you won't get burnt out of it due to not playing its prequels.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Parroting what everyone else said, with emphasis on 3D World, since it's a colourful, 3D Platformer in the vein of Galaxy (and thus 64.)

Nintendoland is pretty fun, Better if you have friends over. Same with Mario Kart 8, but MK8 is still good 2 player, just not quite as good.

Pikmin 3 is super cute and colourful, and while enhanced by the previous entries, does not require them.

Shovel Knight is a must, though it is single-player. Guacamelee is also a fun pick up, but the co-op mode is not great.

Also, no one has told you to pick up the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which is a crime.

Finally, I'd grab 2 sets of Wiimote/Nunchucks, specifically Wii motion plus versions, and a Wii U pro controller. Add more 2 Wiimote/Nunchucks if you plan on regularly entertaining friends.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why don't you want to play the 2014 GOTY?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nickoten posted:

anime

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nickoten posted:

because everyone in it is hot.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moriatti posted:

Parroting what everyone else said, with emphasis on 3D World, since it's a colourful, 3D Platformer in the vein of Galaxy (and thus 64.)
It's kind of halfway between Galaxy and Mario 3. It's great for co-op since it can be pretty casual to just blow through it, or if you really want to you can 100% the game by getting all the stars, stamps, and flagpole tops. I think it's my favorite Mario at this point.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

SRM posted:

It's kind of halfway between Galaxy and Mario 3. It's great for co-op since it can be pretty casual to just blow through it, or if you really want to you can 100% the game by getting all the stars, stamps, and flagpole tops. I think it's my favorite Mario at this point.

But most importantly, you can pick up your friend and throw them off a cliff.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It's hard to underestimate just how fun Mario 3D World is in co-op. It's just an absolute blast with any number of players. A lot of times, co-op modes tend to trivialize the game, or at any rate they're just not balanced around co-op. Not this game. If anything, the presence of your friends makes it harder, since you're all stumbling all over yourselves not to jump off a cliff or into a lava pit or whatever. The later worlds are pretty drat tough, and twice as much so with friends, but I never got frustrated no matter how many times I/we died.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Waltzing Along posted:

Why don't you want to play the 2014 GOTY?

Yep, definitely pick up Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Nickoten posted:

two bad games

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nickoten posted:

Both involve ten year old girls beating the crap out of gods.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I'm going to assume it's been brought up already, but how the hell do you sell out of a digital download?

loving NoA Club Nintendo somehow manages to continue to be the worst. :wtc:

EDIT for Context:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 5, 2015

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm going to assume it's been brought up already, but how the hell do you sell out of a digital download?

EDIT for Context:

I've had this happen before too, just try again the servers are probably just being hammered.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Gorgolflox posted:

I've had this happen before too, just try again the servers are probably just being hammered.

That's what I thought, but it's appeared as out of stock for a good number of hours now.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Has Mario Golf 64 aged well?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ComradeCosmobot posted:

EDIT for Context:

By having a finite number of keys and running out of them?

I mean out of all the possible combinations of characters there has to be a lot more that aren't valid keys than the ones that are, or there'd be a high chance of being able to type in random poo poo and have it work. It's totally possible to run out of keys and have to generate more if something's popular enough.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ComradeCosmobot posted:

EDIT for Context:

Earthbound just isn't popular enough in America to bring over Mother 3. Ignore this and when Ness crashed Gamestop's site.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Suaimhneas posted:

By having a finite number of keys and running out of them?

It was a partly rhetorical question to be sure, but it remains to be seen if they'll actually refill the codes.

EDIT: And it's sorta absurd that Nintendo would have something to automatically dole out codes, but not automatically generate them on demand. If they're that concerned about people hacking codes, they could still have an internal mechanism mint them on request. After all, they have to somehow generate the codes they hand out through Club Nintendo in the first place and it's not conceptually difficult to just connect that mechanism directly to the "request a code" button. Of course given Nintendo's historically subpar online presence, it wouldn't surprise me if someone actually decided to reject that idea for some reason and they deliberately built "must require human to manually copy and paste codes from the generator" into the spec.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 6, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I never realised how short Super Mario 64 is when you're not a kid and know how to get the stars. I downloaded it from the eShop earlier today and got the 70 stars + beat Bowser in like 2:45 according to the daily log thing. The speed runs of this game are probably insane

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

About 1:50 for all 120 stars or five minutes for a glitched zero stars tool assisted run. :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chieves posted:

Has Mario Golf 64 aged well?
The mechanics of Mario Golf haven't really changed much since 64/GBC. Its still an ugly rear end Nintendo 64 game though.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My buddy's getting a Wii U. What's a good list of games he should get?

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I still play Mario Golf with my roommate on our old 64 from time to time. Dated graphics aside, I think it's still pretty fun in vs mode. The controls and handicap features still feel reasonable/challenging. If you're asking if the gameplay seems clunkier with age, I'd say no. It's not a deep set of mechanics at all, and it's pretty easy to get the hang of even if you haven't played in a while.

I'm also a sucker for the taunts.

HURRY UP ALREADY!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

All of them

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I don't think it's ever been said by anyone in this thread yet, but Tropical Freeze is a v good game with v good music.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

All of them.

Short list:
3D World
Smash
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2 (Try demo first!)
Shovel Knight.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pappyland posted:

That's what I thought, but it's appeared as out of stock for a good number of hours now.

It's also a Sunday.

This has happened before, everybody needs to just calm the gently caress down about it. Somebody needs to generate some download codes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Astro7x posted:

It's also a Sunday.

This has happened before, everybody needs to just calm the gently caress down about it. Somebody needs to generate some download codes.

I want my free 20 year old game now dammit!

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Captain Toad. I cannot overstate how madly in love with that game I am. I started by just getting all the gems, now I'm on my way to 100%ing it. It has to be the best game on the console.

It's crazy fun. The graphics are beautiful. It starts off easy and gets nut twistingly hard. Also you can play as Toadette.

People think I'm loving around, but I'm not. CAPTAIN. TOAD.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I see all this praise for Hyrule Warriors and I wish I could enjoy it. Wife and I played the crap out of Pikmin, Mario 3d, new super mario, and Mario Kart. And then I pop in HW and neither of us has any idea what is happening. Do you ever get used to it? I'm completely confused and overwhelmed when I try to play.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Played some Pixel Toad hide and seek with the amiibo on Captain Toad today. The kids thought it was a blast. It is not always easy, and I keep finding that damned 8 bit Luigi they stuck everywhere but he doesn't do anything.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FairGame posted:

I see all this praise for Hyrule Warriors and I wish I could enjoy it. Wife and I played the crap out of Pikmin, Mario 3d, new super mario, and Mario Kart. And then I pop in HW and neither of us has any idea what is happening. Do you ever get used to it? I'm completely confused and overwhelmed when I try to play.

Just hit dudes who are on the enemy side. Sometimes someone will yell at you to go someplace else and hit dudes there. Keep doing that till you win the map.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

I don't think it's ever been said by anyone in this thread yet, but Tropical Freeze is a v good game with v good music.

It's also good for co-op with someone not skilled at games as the second character can jump on DK's back so you can do the tough bits.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Toad is on my gamefly queue, but I keep choosing other stuff instead because I found the 3d world toad levels to be kinda dull. I heard Captain Toad is much better, but the whole "have to move while adjusting camera" thing felt hella awkward.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Moving and adjusting the camera in Captain Toad gets a lot better when you realize that you can use ZR as your run/action button.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FairGame posted:

Just pay attention to what's going on in the dialogue boxes and map. When somebody shouts for help, go help them, and when you see the little red squares on a map overwhelming one of your big blue squares (ie your base) go over there and kill a bunch of them. It gets a bit more complex than that, but not by much, and most people getting started are more likely to fail a mission without understanding why than they are to actually die from an enemy, so just keep afloat of the flow of battle while you're killing dudes and you should be fine.

It'd be easier if Nintendo actually had voice acting in the game so you don't have to rely on dialogue boxes popping up when you're not paying attention to them but :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

FairGame posted:

The main thing to remember is keeping an eye on the map. The red dots (as opposed to the unvariegated red blobs) are powerful or important enemies, and if they're heading towards an important keep you should prioritize running over and taking care of them before they can mess things up. Also, if you pause and go to "Battle Log" you can see who just said what and where they are, which can be really helpful.

• Locked thread