Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

he also give good reviews to the star wars prequals. he is a great critic and the world is less without him but he wasn't right 100% of the time.

also rodger ebert is cool and can say "i love dead puppies" and still be better man then most gamers.

Sorry, the Star Wars Prequels were great, and videogames are garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sorry, the Star Wars Prequels were great, and videogames are garbage.

well now I think about it, jar-jar is a better charater then anything in video games. he was a outcast but he was able to fight off the trade federation and becme a hero to the point that he became a repasenative of his people to the rest of the galaxy. Mario is a fat druggie plumber who kill turtles and force this woman to bake cakes for him. no wonder our children became monsters.

what I am saying is Jar-Jar is a better role modal to kids then Mario.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Please stop posting Cyron.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Calaveron posted:

Please stop posting Cyron.

I think I will disagree.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 5, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How is it that video games wreck up this thread so much?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

"...except for Cosmology of Kyoto"

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

because video games are trash entertainment for trash people

cup and ball is where it's at

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

this is the only place on the forum where Female rights in gaming is talked about normally and it attacts the crazies like me. add in the normal crazies from GBS trolls, gamers and the internet critic fans and you have a drama bomb.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 5, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Do not even ask posted:

because video games are trash entertainment for trash people

cup and ball is where it's at

Not even mentioning chopsticks. What is this, amateur hour?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

In other news, Dan Olsen is a really loving lovely critic. Dear god, that End of Evangelion review is the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen and wonder if anyone who saw the movie actually liked it.

I liked that review. What are your specific problems with it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

I also mentioned things like feminist debate over Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey but sure single out a section of a sentence that was one part about the broadness of a political and cultural philosophy the debates contained with in because the idea that someone can loving disagree with you is loving mindboggling.

Please actually find context from multiple sex positive feminists that slut shaming and expression of female sexuality is only expressed through real people and not consummation of media, but I will quote everyone from Naomi Wolf to bloggers on the internet.

Consumption of media is not the same thing as the media themselves. I think you'll find that people are interested in 50 Shades of Grey because they're interested in the assumptions it has about the world or the ideas it communicates to its audiences. It's interesting because it communicates ideas. Nobody's talking about the choices the lady character makes in it except insofar as they express historically real ideas or assumptions. You can't shame that lady because she's a fiction. Video game characters can't like sex or anything else because they have no consciousness. Every choice a fictional character makes is the consequence of a real person deciding to have it happen that way, so that's what everyone is interested in.

Why do you have such a bug up your rear end about this? Why was it video games that made you interested in feminism?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jack Gladney posted:

You can't shame that lady because she's a fiction.
No, but you can shame real women who relate to her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

No, but you can shame real women who relate to her.

Which is not the same thing and also what actually matters.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Calaveron posted:

So hey I hear that despite of (or due to) his patreon Moviebob owes an absurd amount of taxes
Can we talk about taxes again

Actually, does Patreon count as gift money or some sort of contract payment? If it's the former, as long as no individual is giving you more than 10(14?) thousand a year you shouldn't be responsible for any taxes on it. Unless Patreon counts as the entity being gifted the money, in which case they're just giving the content providers however much a year. Which might be tax free for the first 10(14?)K?

Jack Gladney posted:

Which is not the same thing and also what actually matters.

I think the argument is that by "shaming" the actions of a fiction character you can be seen to be shaming those same actions in the real world.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I watched that Angry Joe video about him abandoning Nintendo videos. I gotta say I love Joe when he's more reserved like this. He still gets his seething anger across but he's not flailing his arms and screaming.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

I dunno, but it sure as hell was the reason I unbookmarked marked this one. Well, that and the Channel Awesome gutter politics reveal. That was a real interest killer for any non-Brad/Lupa/Phelous/Chez Apoc/RLM critics for me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I dunno, but it sure as hell was the reason I unbookmarked marked this one. Well, that and the Channel Awesome gutter politics reveal. That was a real interest killer for any non-Brad/Lupa/Phelous/Chez Apoc/RLM critics for me.

Luckily there aren't any left. Infamous Sphere's videos are good too. I hope she didn't get chased out by all this nonsense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favourite video game is the Ishtar Trailer.

That last stage is a doozy though.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Consumption of media is not the same thing as the media themselves. I think you'll find that people are interested in 50 Shades of Grey because they're interested in the assumptions it has about the world or the ideas it communicates to its audiences. It's interesting because it communicates ideas. Nobody's talking about the choices the lady character makes in it except insofar as they express historically real ideas or assumptions. You can't shame that lady because she's a fiction. Video game characters can't like sex or anything else because they have no consciousness. Every choice a fictional character makes is the consequence of a real person deciding to have it happen that way, so that's what everyone is interested in.

Why do you have such a bug up your rear end about this? Why was it video games that made you interested in feminism?

What are wheatcakes and why do you hate them?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just skimmed the last four pages of this thread and y'all have some massive problems with reading comprehension. Here's a free tip: Read what you're replying to. Preferably before replying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Asuron posted:

What are wheatcakes and why do you hate them?

If I had it to do over again, I would have just had him going Hnnggggghhhh

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favourite video game is the Ishtar Trailer.

That last stage is a doozy though.

I think it's wonderful.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rebochan posted:

I think it's wonderful.

I have put a price of 20,000 dirham on its head.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I found the level progression really strange. It makes me do the second level over again after I finish the third, then I have to do the fourth one twice and I go back to the second again. And--

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Jack Gladney posted:

Luckily there aren't any left. Infamous Sphere's videos are good too. I hope she didn't get chased out by all this nonsense.

Oh thanks! I'm working on a video right now actually, it's about portrayals of bisexual men on TV.
I visit this thread frequently, but it isn't...really going in the direction that I'd like it to go in, to be honest. I usually skim read it.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Cyron posted:

Other M added heels n the zero suit. and the one in smash had rocket boosters, the other M heels are jut there for show so it a tiny bit better.

so yes even bad designs in other games with samus can be rooted back to other M. gently caress that game.

If the zero suit is what she's wearing under her power suit, then she technically shouldn't be wearing shoes at all. The body suit from the nintendo power comics makes more sense.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
To wash over the awful game politics discussion of the last few page, here is a fun breezy look at the call of duty series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvN51r1o1Nc

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

admataY posted:

To wash over the awful game politics discussion of the last few page, here is a fun breezy look at the call of duty series.

Okay, that was really, really long and really, really interesting. While I don't agree with every point made, do yourself a favor and watch at least this part, since his reason why this series is so commercially successful is pretty well laid out.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 5, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Gyges posted:

Actually, does Patreon count as gift money or some sort of contract payment? If it's the former, as long as no individual is giving you more than 10(14?) thousand a year you shouldn't be responsible for any taxes on it. Unless Patreon counts as the entity being gifted the money, in which case they're just giving the content providers however much a year. Which might be tax free for the first 10(14?)K?

Why would it be gift money, you have to pay taxes for any kind of crowdfunding. It would count as tips, and Patreon would have to send out a 1099 form at the end of the year. Bob probably did not figure that and save part of his earnings to pay those taxes. I thought this is why Lindsey made that tax video.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

e X posted:

Okay, that was really, really long and really, really interesting. While I don't agree with every point made, do yourself a favor and watch at least this part, since his reason why this series is so commercially successful is pretty well laid out.

That link sends you straight to the home page.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

TheMaestroso posted:

That link sends you straight to the home page.

Here is the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvN51r1o1Nc#t=1h41m12s

I put a space in the url to prevent the auto format and forgot to remove it. It's fixed now

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

admataY posted:

Yay, a critic video in the critic thread! And a guy I haven't seen before, too, so he's got a bunch of videos for me to check out.

... multiple 40-minute to hour long videos.... thank god I just got fired and have nothing to do for the rest of the week.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

admataY posted:

Dude does not like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Everything he says is wrong. :arghfist::saddowns:

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

The next Animorphs review is up. #43 The Test, the one where Tobias' torturer Taylor returns. It's kind of boring, to be honest.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tarquinn posted:

Dude does not like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Everything he says is wrong. :arghfist::saddowns:

Linkara's going to do a review of Bloodlines, which should be posted tomorrow.

I bought Bloodlines on Steam, but I haven't had a chance to install the patch and play it yet, so I might not watch either review until I can.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Welcome to the Basement reviews... 3.2.3.4.4.2.3. AND

I like their videos a lot, I recommend watching them all. Their film analysis is pretty great and the chemistry between the two is fabulous.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Tarquinn posted:

I like VTMB, but Noah made some really salient points about its major pitfalls. Dude gives respect where it's due, but also critique where it's deserved, and regardless of why that game turned out the way it did, it deserves a lot of critique. I feel like a lot of the garbage that bogged that game down is handwaved just out of the goodwill that Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian built with their much better games, and that's coming from someone who utterly adores them otherwise. Its cringeworthy (sometimes to a genuinely uncomfortable degree, and not in the way they intended) attempts at edginess basically made it the worst-written game from those devs, unless you count Dungeon Siege 3, which was bad by virtue of being :geno:: The Game.

Though I don't think Noah played with the giant fan patches, which do significantly improve the game, I think it's fair that he criticized it as-is, and a lot of his points still stand, even with the massive restoration mod(s).

I'm also surprised this thread hasn't really paid much mind to Noah Caldwell-Gervais, dude has a hell of a talent for well-articulated, long-form analysis, and while he's very honest about his opinions, he doesn't take "honesty" as an excuse to be miserably cynical or gratuitously smug/antagonistic. Just bear in mind that you'll hear a couple line flubs per video and won't see much sync between visuals and commentary, since most of his time is dedicated to the writing, and each video is so long that doing several takes and editing them would be nothing short of a nightmare, especially for a busy working-class dude who has an actual life and poo poo. His Patreon's been doing relatively well, though, and that money's likely gone to his equipment and editing getting better in recent videos. Dude deserves way more recognition and support than he currently has, imho, and it's cool to see he's been getting a bit more lately :unsmith:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jimbot posted:

I like their videos a lot, I recommend watching them all. Their film analysis is pretty great and the chemistry between the two is fabulous.

I'm a real fan of them. Sure, the videos are a bit long (often thirty-forty minutes) but they're very fun.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh thanks! I'm working on a video right now actually, it's about portrayals of bisexual men on TV.

Any discussion of Trailer Park Boys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jimbot posted:

Well, I'm subscribed now. As a commenter pointed out, it's a real injustice that these two haven't done a BOTW with RLM yet. They aren't exactly far away.

• Locked thread