Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman Eternal and it wrapped itself up pretty good. Problem is though it probably didn't need to be a year long thing and could have easily been a 6 parter if not for all the introduction to other titles. most of which felt superfluous as those titles began as Eternal was still running.
One thing that was shown in the end though, that doesn't have a follow up title is Bluebird and Spoiler. I want a Bluebird and Spoiler superfriends title right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gotham Academy Endgame was amazing and if you don't buy it and the series gets cancelled in 6 months you're a butthead. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

Gotham Academy Endgame was amazing and if you don't buy it and the series gets cancelled in 6 months you're a butthead. :colbert:

Who'd have guessed Headmaster Hammer was actually Van Helsing?

Plus Maps only knows the Joker as the guy who used to interrupt her Saturday morning cartoons :allears:

Also, relevant:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Gotham Academy is the most adorable comic ever, I hope it's selling well and they keep the writer/artist combo on DC forever.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I know they aren't exactly the hardest of all comics to find, but today I picked up The Killing Joke. I purchased it from the original owner who purchased 20 copies in 1988. This copy hasn't even had it's covered opened. I brought it to a store where the guy does unofficial grading (but also sends things to CGC constantly so he has a very good idea of how they would grade it) and he said it would more than likely come back as a 9.8, which didn't surprise me. I think they are still in print, but it's pretty cool that I have a confirmed near mint from 1988. Not sure if it's worth sending down to be graded with my recent pick up of Amazing Spider-Man 121 (of which he also said might be 9.2 or 9.4 depending on some tiny tiny almost non existent corner chips.) because even graded it isn't worth "that much" even as a 9.8. But It was basically the last piece of my Allan Moore collection which makes me very happy. Just need Lost Girls and I have more or less have everything by him. Anyway I thought you Batnerds may like it so here is a picture.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Batman Eternal and it wrapped itself up pretty good. Problem is though it probably didn't need to be a year long thing and could have easily been a 6 parter if not for all the introduction to other titles. most of which felt superfluous as those titles began as Eternal was still running.
One thing that was shown in the end though, that doesn't have a follow up title is Bluebird and Spoiler. I want a Bluebird and Spoiler superfriends title right now.

Yeah, I actually thought it ended pretty well. I liked March's involvement, it was a nice callback to Snyder's beginning with the new 52. One thing I am getting really sick of is Bruce and Selina having "GRR IVE LOOKED THE OTHER WAY BUT THAT ENDS NOW" conversations. It feels like that happens every few days for them and nothing ever comes of it.

But yes it's absolutely criminal that Harper and Stephanie aren't getting an ongoing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I really enjoyed all of Batman Eternal. It was a great sweeping Bat story. I LOVED that it got the entire Bat Family involved and that different issues focused on different characters. Are they going to be doing a 2nd run of Batman Eternal after Convergence is over?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Snyder confirmed a 2nd "season" of Eternal in a Reddit AMA, but there hasn't been any word other than that.

I really liked the final issue, too. The little check-in on all of the different Gotham stories put a nice bow on things leading into Convergence.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gaz-L posted:

This is truth. Seriously, it was amazing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I honestly didn't like the first couple of issues of Gotham Academy but it's definitely gotten better and better over time and this issue is the best to date.

Seriously how can anyone not be buying this?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I had fallen really behind on Eternal, like I hadn't read it since December maybe. I took the advantage of my wife being out of town to hunker down with the huge stack of all 52 issues and read it in one go.

Honestly, overall it was a lot of fun. Most of the little subplots and detours either paid off or left a new status quo for the Bat-books to work with. The Cluemaster stuff definitely didn't seem like it was out of nowhere to me; the guy was constantly being featured throughout. I think the final issue lacked a little bit of the "wow" factor for me because I haven't read any of the Court of Owls stuff, so I had no clue who Owlman really was. One slightly jarring thing about reading it all at once was how when Batgirl #35 hit, Barbara in Eternal all of the sudden appeared to have gotten younger and gotten a breast reduction. Lamest stuff for me was any time Joker's Daughter appeared in a panel. I think my favorite parts were the Corrigan and Batwing stuff beneath Arkham. Does that mean I should be reading Gotham after Midnight?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

I honestly didn't like the first couple of issues of Gotham Academy but it's definitely gotten better and better over time and this issue is the best to date.

Seriously how can anyone not be buying this?

Because I don't have the slightest interest on the characters :shrug:

Gonna pick up the issues with Damian though.

Now, Eternal was just a lovely rehash of Hush with Cluemaster on Riddler's role and Lincoln on Hush's.

Cluemaster plan was massively stupid, the thing was dragged down with too many plots that didn't mattered in the end, characters were written horribly and the art was all over the place.

And Tynion really, REALLY needs to stop using Jason as proxy for Dick, the romance was Barbara was stupid and goes against how the both of them are written on their respective books.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Maybe they're hoping to give their least popular batfam member a bump by trying to put him in a relationship with their currently most popular member?
That's the only explanation I can think of.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KaosMachina posted:

Maybe they're hoping to give their least popular batfam member a bump by trying to put him in a relationship with their currently most popular member?
That's the only explanation I can think of.

Unlikely because Stewart and Tarr Babs is a very different character and is by far the most popular version of the character right now and Jason while not as high profile as Babs it has a considerable fanbase. And again, is has nothing to do with how he's written by Lobdell, Pak or even Bedard.

I've noticed that Tynion tends to put on his scripts all the stuff he likes but most of the time in detriment of the story itself. His run on RHATO had a running theme of destiny and legacy very reminicent of Star Wars, he keeps writing Jason as a second bin Dick Grayson and his view of the mystical take of magic is very influenced by Supernatural

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 4, 2015

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Jason's Considerable Fanbase.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Mods, please.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

view of the mystical take of magic is very influenced by Supernatural

Which was influenced by Hellblazer and Sandman

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Which was influenced by Hellblazer and Sandman

Those include the bit about using salt to ward off evil?

Still, he has referenced the show outright.

Probably Magic posted:

I'm a big fan but RHATO sure as hell didn't survived this long with my purchases alone :v:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

the art was all over the place.

I thought the art on Eternal was pretty amazing at times, there were a lot of distinct styles going on. In particular, the series turned me on to Ian Bertram, Aco, Juan Ferreyra, and Javi Fernandez, all of whom I will keep an eye out for.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

chime_on posted:

I thought the art on Eternal was pretty amazing at times, there were a lot of distinct styles going on. In particular, the series turned me on to Ian Bertram, Aco, Juan Ferreyra, and Javi Fernandez, all of whom I will keep an eye out for.

Oh there were some great artists on there that is for sure, but not all the artists were at the same level and the artstyle changes between issues were very jarring at times.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Those include the bit about using salt to ward off evil?

Still, he has referenced the show outright.

That is a belief that is much older than comics and the tv show.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, throwing salt over your shoulder comes from that. And there's something about vampires and salt from way back when too, I think?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Having picked up Gotham Central in a Comixology sale a while back, I used the Easter weekend to tear through it and yes, it's really good and it's a pity there aren't more, or that Gotham isn't just a straight adaptation of it.

Regarding the ending: Aw, man, not Cris. And while Renee did the right thing, there's part of me that really wishes she went to town on that bastard Corrigan. Yeah, it would have been wrong but hardly like he didn't have it coming it, drat it. gently caress that guy.

Did the New52 change much regarding the MCU guys? I only read Batwoman till Williams left so obviously Maggie was around but just wondered what the deal was with the rest of them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Did the New52 change much regarding the MCU guys? I only read Batwoman till Williams left so obviously Maggie was around but just wondered what the deal was with the rest of them.

Apparently this is Renee, back in July for some Robo-Batman squad. I'm hoping Det turns into a cop comic for a while. That sounds like fun.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't think most of them have even been mentioned in the New 52. Like he said Renee is coming back and after the ending of Batman Eternal Maggie is now the Commissioner but as far as the others, I haven't read anything with them in it.

Bullock's been around of course.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Having picked up Gotham Central in a Comixology sale a while back, I used the Easter weekend to tear through it and yes, it's really good and it's a pity there aren't more, or that Gotham isn't just a straight adaptation of it.

Regarding the ending: Aw, man, not Cris. And while Renee did the right thing, there's part of me that really wishes she went to town on that bastard Corrigan. Yeah, it would have been wrong but hardly like he didn't have it coming it, drat it. gently caress that guy.

Now read 52

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Because I don't have the slightest interest on the characters :shrug:

Gonna pick up the issues with Damian though.

Now, Eternal was just a lovely rehash of Hush with Cluemaster on Riddler's role and Lincoln on Hush's.

Cluemaster plan was massively stupid, the thing was dragged down with too many plots that didn't mattered in the end, characters were written horribly and the art was all over the place.

And Tynion really, REALLY needs to stop using Jason as proxy for Dick, the romance was Barbara was stupid and goes against how the both of them are written on their respective books.

-- Well that's the point of new characters. You don't start out with interest in them, you read the book and learn to like them.

-- I don't know how Jason is written in RHATO, but I will say that it the end scene with Jason in the bar felt kind of silly. I mean he and Barbara interacted like... what twice, maybe, over the course of the series? When they were in Brazil and when they stopped Mad Hatter, IIRC. And he kind of flirted with her in Brazil. And then suddenly he's ready to confess his love out of the blue ? Just felt forced.

-- I guess since so many people liked the end though and I actually find myself in agreement with you I should just go ahead and buy my tit avatar and join the unpopular opinions club.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Now read 52
:wiggle: See what happens!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What is talking so long for the last part of Endgame?!?!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They had to remove all scenes of Joker doing anything evil so people on the internet wouldn't get mad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

-- Well that's the point of new characters. You don't start out with interest in them, you read the book and learn to like them.

-- I don't know how Jason is written in RHATO, but I will say that it the end scene with Jason in the bar felt kind of silly. I mean he and Barbara interacted like... what twice, maybe, over the course of the series? When they were in Brazil and when they stopped Mad Hatter, IIRC. And he kind of flirted with her in Brazil. And then suddenly he's ready to confess his love out of the blue ? Just felt forced.

-- I guess since so many people liked the end though and I actually find myself in agreement with you I should just go ahead and buy my tit avatar and join the unpopular opinions club.

-I tried the first issue and it didn't catched my eye, maybe having Damian involved will make me a fan.

-Exactly, Jason and Barbara never had that much of a interaction before or after the reboot (on the N52 Barbara actually hated Jason's guts) so the whole thing comes incredibly forced and poorly written. I mean, I've read fanfictions with better romances.

SalTheBard posted:

It seems Capullo couldn't finish on time. When he visited Mexico a few weeks ago he was still working on the thumbnails for the issue.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 6, 2015

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jiro posted:

:wiggle: See what happens!

Nice try, you scamps but I am wise to your mischievous ways. :colbert:

Or at least I vaguely recall you all saying one of 52 or Countdown was terrible and one of them was the other done right.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

52 is loving great and Greg Rucka returns to tell Renee Montoya's part in it.

e: and it bridges to Batwoman.

ee: Then you could pick up the upcoming Convergence Question mini, which is Rucka's first DC thing since Batwoman Elegy. It's very exciting :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 6, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sentinel Red posted:

Or at least I vaguely recall you all saying one of 52 or Countdown was terrible and one of them was the other done right.
According to Mark Waid, not-forums-poster Dan Didio did say that "Countdown is 52 done right".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SalTheBard posted:

Am I wrong or aren't we not getting the regular books for two months now that Convergence has begun? I thought that was the deal from the first announcement.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sentinel Red posted:

52 (and Countdown) are both made up of multiple narratives.
At the time they came out, I sort of hated 52 because it would alternate between stories I loved and really cared about and I es I out and out hated. By the end it averaged out at being okay by virtue of having a really strong ending.

Countdown, at the time I was reading it, seemed devoted to a really strange series of awful plot turns and since I wasn't a huge DC fan I loved it. (Albeit for the wrong reasons. It has a storyline that is essentially the long and painful death of Character X Karate Kid. Which was great for me as I hated Character X. But if you were a fan, then the whole thing would have been a kick in the nuts.)
But Countdown seemed to flow or read better as a weekly than 52 did, so maybe Dido was right about it being "52 done right. "

I will say I recently re-read 52 in collected form and it is a lot better. It still has some problems with structure and narrative, but it didn't annoy me on the second read through. I haven't gone back to read Countdown.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

According to Mark Waid, not-forums-poster Dan Didio did say that "Countdown is 52 done right".
This hasn't been confirmed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Lets take a look at the writers.
52 was written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, and Mark Waid, with layouts by Keith Giffen.
Countdown was written by Paul Dini, Jimmy Palmiotti, Sean McKeever, Tony Bedard, Adam Beechen, and Justin Gray

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets take a look at the writers.
52 was written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, and Mark Waid, with layouts by Keith Giffen.
Don't forget the Dan Didio ghostwritten issue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Travis343 posted:

Am I wrong or aren't we not getting the regular books for two months now that Convergence has begun? I thought that was the deal from the first announcement.
A few books got delayed in March and plan to release at the end of April. Batman 40, Justice League 40 and Superman 40 are among these titles. I think Wonder Woman's Annual #1 which wraps up the Finches first storyline is in that pile too.

• Locked thread