Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Matthew Beet posted:

i have to play this game

YOU WON'T REGET THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Well, at 45k I can see no difference between the different speeds of simulation, even with graphics turned down/off. I'm wishing for natural disasters (or unnatural ones, like Godzilla) now that I've pretty much worked out the traffic issues and transitioned to primarily office space industry.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Poop death aside, I have a question. I subscribed to a small number of mods on the workshop. Interchanges and game mods are working fine, but building mods aren't showing for me. I've only added a small handful. Rural fire station, box factory, and a recycling centre. For some odd reason these aren't showing in the game for me. The box factory should be growable, the other two are plops.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Poop death aside, I have a question. I subscribed to a small number of mods on the workshop. Interchanges and game mods are working fine, but building mods aren't showing for me. I've only added a small handful. Rural fire station, box factory, and a recycling centre. For some odd reason these aren't showing in the game for me. The box factory should be growable, the other two are plops.

Have you turned them on from the in-game menu?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Have you turned them on from the in-game menu?

Yep. Toggled off and on and still nothing.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I tried to implement the frontage road system to the best of my limited abilities.

Is this how it's suppsoed to be?
And does it matter that both sides (east and west) get access to both lanes or is it enough to connect to the other highway point further south on the map and if the west side wants to export they'll just go there?

Here's how it looks in my old city. I put the frontage roads almost underneath the freeway, so I had to have the ramps merge from the outside:

Or, if you want to avoid weaving, you can have the ramps cross each other. No Texas U-Turns on these though:

Think of the frontage roads as a normal 2-way road that happens to have a freeway running through the middle of it. You want access from one side of the freeway to the other via the overpasses (or underpasses), and you want access from the frontage road to the freeway and vice versa.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The 50% crime unlock is loving hard to get. I read some guides but I just can't quite get it. Anyone manage this? Any tips?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Baronjutter posted:

The 50% crime unlock is loving hard to get. I read some guides but I just can't quite get it. Anyone manage this? Any tips?

If you want to cheese it you can just get the GTA map on the workshop and run it, that got me a few of those instantly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Crime rate is determined by unemployment. Start a new city, get up until about the point when you get police stations or schools. Dezone all your commercial and industrial, rezone commercial and industrial as needed to prevent your city from imploding.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
my bug bear has been the 4% taxes.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dublish posted:

Here's how it looks in my old city. I put the frontage roads almost underneath the freeway, so I had to have the ramps merge from the outside:

Or, if you want to avoid weaving, you can have the ramps cross each other. No Texas U-Turns on these though:

Think of the frontage roads as a normal 2-way road that happens to have a freeway running through the middle of it. You want access from one side of the freeway to the other via the overpasses (or underpasses), and you want access from the frontage road to the freeway and vice versa.

So it's correct that you have to cross to the other frontage road first if you want to hop on the other side of the highway? Good, I think I understood it correctly then.
The idea of almost layering them on top of each other to save a bit of space is nice, highrise buildings right up against the highway look cool as hell.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I kinda miss the no power/water requirements for low density low value housing in the simcity (4) games.

So many newbies I've watched play this game get bankrupted by mistake because of the power/water requirements and building really expensive pumps and power plants.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

I tried to implement the frontage road system to the best of my limited abilities.

Is this how it's suppsoed to be?
And does it matter that both sides (east and west) get access to both lanes or is it enough to connect to the other highway point further south on the map and if the west side wants to export they'll just go there?

Those off/on ramps on the left side are really short. If they lead into a traffic light, one red light could back up multiple cars/trucks into the highway. In my experience, if you have any traffic at all, this will be a problem.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Fishbus posted:

I kinda miss the no power/water requirements for low density low value housing in the simcity (4) games.

So many newbies I've watched play this game get bankrupted by mistake because of the power/water requirements and building really expensive pumps and power plants.

I gently caress it up like 15 times every time I start a new city

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fishbus posted:

The very first time I tried a city, I built 7 windmills because I thought 8 MW didn't sound too much and didn't have enough money left to build roads and pipes.

beerinator posted:

Those off/on ramps on the left side are really short. If they lead into a traffic light, one red light could back up multiple cars/trucks into the highway. In my experience, if you have any traffic at all, this will be a problem.

Good point, I'll make more space there, thanks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I loaded up my city.... it gave me an error message and uhhh something is wrong

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crabrock posted:

i think he's talking about how trains leaving your map, jam up off screen. this goes all the way back into your town, and jams up all your trains. then the whole column only moves by one train at a time.

your interior networks can be separate and fine, but there's no way to stop the clog happening off screen. I'd consider that a bug. Unless the gameplay feature intended is "don't use trains."

Yeah, that is the problem. I haven't messed around with double, much less triple, railroad lines but I can see how my short triangles could be contributing to the problem. The main problem is the trains backing up of the map into my main rail network and messing up my freight and commuter trains. Really hope this problem gets fixed soon because it's really annoying and I'm just starting to get good at the game.

edit: my strategy for dealing with traffic is to have traffic for a large area flow in a loop from one end of a highway interchange to another, coupled with the traffic trident and dual one-way streets in the busiest areas. Try and put in overpass-bypasses if you have a busy intersection. Adding lanes goes a huge way towards solving problems but only if you know how to use them and make traffic diverge into as many lanes as possible. Add loops off of loops and put most of the small roads off of those secondary loops to avoid intersections on the main trunks.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 6, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eifert Posting posted:

my bug bear has been the 4% taxes.

Is it counting up at all? You have to let it run for a looooong time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but even with a million in funding I have trouble stopping poo poo from going pear shaped while making 33% of my normal income.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah but even with a million in funding I have trouble stopping poo poo from going pear shaped while making 33% of my normal income.

You can just go into massive debt.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Crime rate is determined by unemployment. Start a new city, get up until about the point when you get police stations or schools. Dezone all your commercial and industrial, rezone commercial and industrial as needed to prevent your city from imploding.

I'm going for this now with a city with over $3 million in the bank just seeing what happens if I burn it all. So far I got the oppression office, but crime sits stubbornly in the mid-20s.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
One of the achievements is to have -1 money. Does it just mean negative or do you have to have exactly -1?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Subyng posted:

One of the achievements is to have -1 money. Does it just mean negative or do you have to have exactly -1?

It just means "go negative after you unlock that tier of uniques"

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Hmm..I have the mod achievement enabler and have gone negative and I didn't get the unlock.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I uploaded some smaller plaza parks to the workshop, nothing fancy, except for the fancy theme of the parks themselves. No new models or anything and default stats. I might make some more in different smallish dimensions in the next day or two: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=419745533

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Pile of Kittens posted:

Well, at 45k I can see no difference between the different speeds of simulation, even with graphics turned down/off.
Same here but at around 80k. I checked my CPU load and it's not even maxing out though - it's around 75%. What gives? :(

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

My latest monstrosity. Up to 65k now with minimal traffic jams. I was honestly only going for "not grids" but it ended up working really well. The "percolators" and 6 way intersections in the industrial areas are especially useful.

Whoever suggested using highway onramps to feed the cargo harbor, THANK YOU! poo poo moves so fast that I usually have 3-4 boats overlapping haha

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Not sure why these virtual people are complaining about traffic, I live in houston, so the worst this game has to throw for traffic is actually pretty normal. #houston #htown #nimby

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 6, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fargin Icehole posted:

Not sure why these virtual people are complaining about traffic, I live in houston, so the worst this game has to throw for traffic is actually pretty normal. #houston #htown #nimby

You should download the mod that removes agent teleportation.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
Without the hyper aggressive traffic and a percentage of your population dying on the roads it can't be Houston.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Barn Owl posted:

Without the hyper aggressive traffic and a percentage of your population dying on the roads it can't be Houston.

Now that I think about it, my Oil industry district is pitifully small, and only a few major roads are so packed, instead of everywhere else.

That and the Crime rate is just shy of 6%, but that's probably because there's no scenario where a neighboring state suffered a hurricane or something, so forget what i said.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not Houston until a bus full of senior citizens dies because you refuse to open contraflow lanes.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I made a bus loop that was completely separated from any roads, it only connected to pedestrian paths.

Not long after I added it, I saw a car zooming along so I paused and checked things out. It was a cim going to work at the bus depot. Not taking the bus to work and somehow warping their car into the bus only road. :argh:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mr. nobody posted:

I made a bus loop that was completely separated from any roads, it only connected to pedestrian paths.

Not long after I added it, I saw a car zooming along so I paused and checked things out. It was a cim going to work at the bus depot. Not taking the bus to work and somehow warping their car into the bus only road. :argh:

Cims can take cars out of their pockets.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
^^ Can confirm, had a bunch of cars magically appear when a train unloaded it's passengers into a sudden massive traffic jam.

mr. nobody posted:

How did your buses get into the city?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bel Monte posted:

They're probably part of a busway ftw

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Bel Monte posted:

^^ Can confirm, had a bunch of cars magically appear when a train unloaded it's passengers into a sudden massive traffic jam.

Bus depot.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

So has anyone modded in a gondola system for public transport yet? I basically want ski lifts for transport

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv0Br87tVKw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i'm actually kind of sad that they don't have helicopters in the game as the final tier of fire/police/medical. I want my services to skip all the traffic.

RELEASE THE TRASHCOPTER