Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

You know in Kid Icarus: Uprising, you could dodge all you wanted to, but your dodges would get slower and you'd lose invincibility if you spammed it too much. I wonder if a similar implementation could work in Smash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Smash needs heavyweight command grabbers to counter the lightweight swifty bastards.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Slow characters in other games have tools like super armor or a handful of incredibly scary moves (SPDs being the obvious example) whose existence significantly limit the opponent's options. I don't really see either for Smash 4's big dudes. Like Bowser's koopa claw in P:M is armored and leads to a huge amount of damage if it grabs (or a kill) so you need to be careful when you're approaching from certain angles since he can just armor through a lot of approaches. Or DK's throw leading to really scary mix-ups or kills regularly. Ganon is sorta weird because he doesn't really have those sorts of moves (though down-throw is pretty scary), but he has a lot of really fast buttons that can kill, he's just sorta slow otherwise and lacks a lot of good responses to pressure.

I don't think sakurai needs to mimic P:M's solution to the Big Boy Problem but it's a decent start.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly if you want slow characters to actually work then they probably need to be bigger than they are now to work in Smash so they can effectively corner people.

Like as much poo poo as Ridley gets for how big he'd have to be to work, that's basically what it would take for slow characters to have a shot -- that inevitability that comes with letting them close in where you will have to take hits to get space again.

E: DK's custom tornado solves a lot of his problems actually -- it actually pulls you close if you're not careful, giving it extra reach, and since he has super armor you have to take the hit.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't think size is the problem, considering how easy it is to get hits on the slow characters in part because of their size. Thats why I said I wish the game reset to neutral more (mostly to make king of springs mad, but) so big heavies wouldn't get so easily juggled.

Donkey Kong's tornado up b gets a lot of people mad but its exactly the kind of thing a heavy needs

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can I see a video? I want to learn to do this.

this is just from a quick search so there are probably even better examples but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVnuQEC-pyI&t=105s

killing at really low percents will generally only be on stages with low ceilings like halberd or delfino plaza, but even on a normal stage like smashville it kills way earlier than it has any right to. if you want to watch a player to try to learn rosalina from, dabuz is good player to watch

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dabuz is a good player to learn from, if you hate fun and your opponent.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Who do I watch if i hate myself?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Everyone says "everyone should be buffed to the level of the top tiers!" but there are too many characters for that to work. From what I can tell, the majority of the cast is pretty even to each other, its just a few standout characters on both ends that need reworking. It's a lot simpler to just nerf those top characters who just have stupidly good moves.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

mabels big day posted:

Everyone says "everyone should be buffed to the level of the top tiers!" but there are too many characters for that to work. From what I can tell, the majority of the cast is pretty even to each other, its just a few standout characters on both ends that need reworking. It's a lot simpler to just nerf those top characters who just have stupidly good moves.

Sure if you want to suck all the fun out of the game for the people who aren't low tier heroes.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Nerf [That one OP character] and BAM everyone's good :monocle:

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
So what are some Punch Out! characters that are worthy of voting for? King Hippo? Soda Popinski?
Soda Popinski.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jellymouth posted:

So what are some Punch Out! characters that are worthy of voting for? King Hippo? Soda Popinski?
Soda Popinski.

Doc Louis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsXNkcGNBHs

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Jellymouth posted:

Soda Popinski.

Aran Ryan or Disco Kid

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Cut recovery times on all moves in half (except for Diddy and Rosalina)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Slow characters in other games have tools like super armor or a handful of incredibly scary moves (SPDs being the obvious example) whose existence significantly limit the opponent's options. I don't really see either for Smash 4's big dudes. Like Bowser's koopa claw in P:M is armored and leads to a huge amount of damage if it grabs (or a kill) so you need to be careful when you're approaching from certain angles since he can just armor through a lot of approaches. Or DK's throw leading to really scary mix-ups or kills regularly. Ganon is sorta weird because he doesn't really have those sorts of moves (though down-throw is pretty scary), but he has a lot of really fast buttons that can kill, he's just sorta slow otherwise and lacks a lot of good responses to pressure.

I don't think sakurai needs to mimic P:M's solution to the Big Boy Problem but it's a decent start.

actually he does

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

F. Lobot posted:

You must play a character with a bad matchup against Rosalina for you to crusade against her after she got nerfed from top tier to upper-mid.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Jellymouth posted:

Soda Popinski.

Bald Bull for the taunts

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

TenaciousJ posted:

You must play a character with a bad matchup against Rosalina for you to crusade against her after she got nerfed from top tier to upper-mid.

Every character has a bad matchup with her because she's a boring character to fight under any circumstance

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

rosalina is beautiful...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dizz posted:

Nerf [That one OP character] and BAM everyone's good :monocle:

More like, [Those five or six OP characters]

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Ruggington posted:

Every character has a bad matchup with her because she's a boring character to fight under any circumstance

Zero just won NCR with Captain Falcon in Grand Finals and there was no Rosalina anywhere in top 8. She's too good!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

TenaciousJ posted:

Don Flamenco for the taunts

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

While we're talking Punch-Out, am I the only one who doesn't like the design of Little Mac in Smash as much as the one on the Wii? He just looks too angry and serious all the time, even when he taunts or wins a match.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Don Flamenco doesn't have anything on those Bald Bull grunts from the NES.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Bluff Buster posted:

While we're talking Punch-Out, am I the only one who doesn't like the design of Little Mac in Smash as much as the one on the Wii? He just looks too angry and serious all the time, even when he taunts or wins a match.

He looks more smug than angry to me.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

TenaciousJ posted:

Zero just won NCR with Captain Falcon in Grand Finals and there was no Rosalina anywhere. She's so great.

It's good that no one is playing that dumb boring character I agree

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

F. Lobot posted:

I know it's a different kind of recovery than you're talking about, but I'd like to see characters less able to recover from absolutely ridiculous distances. It's not just Villager, I've seen more than one Luigi (not singling him out, just an example) make it back from the very bottom-left corner of the blastzone, taking magnifying damage and everything. Which was impressive, if not somewhat ridiculous.

While I'm glad that nearly everyone has a superior recover now (goodbye forever tether recoveries, you won't be missed), it feels like if your opponent doesn't knock you past the blastzone and your name isn't Little Mac or Ganondorf, you'll be able to get back 99% of the time. Which is good but maybe drags fights out a little longer than they could be, especially if your character doesn't have a very strong offstage game.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

TenaciousJ posted:

Don Flamenco doesn't have anything on those Bald Bull grunts from the NES.

He has a rose and a sweet toupee.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Actually I'd nominate Piston Honda as a Smash character but isn't he an Assist?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TenaciousJ posted:

Zero just won NCR with Captain Falcon in Grand Finals and there was no Rosalina anywhere in top 8. She's too good!

yeah both the guys in grand finals were diddy mains and they both decided to play their other fun characters instead.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

mabels big day posted:

yeah both the guys in grand finals were diddy mains and they both decided to play their other fun characters instead.

And that's evidence that anyone but Diddy is too good? Buff some characters like Bowser Jr so they aren't worthless for people who are good at the game instead of nerfing the good characters unless you want 10 more years of melee.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TenaciousJ posted:

And that's evidence that anyone but Diddy is too good? Buff some characters like Bowser Jr so they aren't worthless for people who are good at the game instead of nerfing the good characters unless you want 10 more years of melee.

/me says in really badass voice "I do."

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TenaciousJ posted:

What are you even on about dude.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

TenaciousJ posted:

The Japanese tier list disagrees.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
^^^
Japan only plays on FD. Stages have an effect on matchups.

I'll just step back and be glad SA has almost no say in balancing a Smash game because you'd be the only ones left playing it in a year.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Jellymouth posted:

So what are some Punch Out! characters that are worthy of voting for?

Aran Ryan's my favorite, but let's be real here. It's time to release the bogus.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TenaciousJ posted:

^^^
Japan only plays on FD. Stages have an effect on matchups.

I'll just step back and be glad SA has almost no say in balancing a Smash game because you'd be the only ones left playing it in a year.

lol if you think people wouldn't be playing The Newest Smash until the next game came out regardless of the quality, even competitively

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

The Japanese tier list disagrees.

yeah dude the Japanese meta is like 100% FD all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

"Yeah, the character I main, I'd say they're mid tier." - Everyone

• Locked thread