Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

I'm pretty confident in saying there's a considerable amount more behind that book than that. It doesn't read like a popular understanding of history, the popular understanding of history doesn't beat up on Japanese ships for requiring rebuilds to not get wrecked by heavy seas for example, it doesn't tend to criticize small missile boats for having bad sensor fits, and it doesn't tear into things for not having a clear strategic role and rationale.

The fact that he lumps H.M.S. Polyphemus and U.S.S. Katahdin together does not inspire confidence at all. They were vastly different ships built for vastly different purposes and had next to nothing in common except a general similarity of appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is there a time limit on how long you can stay?

Well supposing that you had to return to the same exact moment you left, you would want to stay only long enough that you're aging wouldn't significantly detract from the rest of your life after you returned. So that's something you can determine based on your personal feelings on the matter.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Does drinking count as interacting? If so, the period I study.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Juno Beach, D-Day

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

Does drinking count as interacting? If so, the period I study.

Think like the invisibility stuff in that one TNG movie. Just executed a lot more effectively and without plot holes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

The 1968 Paris Spring was not that far away from outright overthrow of de Gaulle. People forget about it a lot these days, but it was a danger taken very seriously at the time, and successfully navigating out of it is what made Pompidou's career.

Didn't De Gaulle basically coup the 4th Republic? Like they were having some political crisis over Algeria and he was like gently caress this, I'm in charge now, write me a constitution with a powerful presidency that's immune to prosecution please.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Juno Beach, D-Day

It's well-documented. I'd want to pick a time and place that isn't, such as the pre-contact Aztec empire. If I could take videos, I think it's important enough that I'd be willing to give up decades of my life to watch everything from the Arawak culture around 1490, the contact with Columbus and subsequent genocide, and then spend time observing pre-contact Aztecs and the fall of the empire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanine posted:

If you had a time machine that could only travel back in time and return once, and you could only observe and not interact: what is the one time and place you would want to go back to?

Baghdad, 1257 AD. I'd give my eyeteeth to see, and more to record, all that I could from the grand library before the Mongols destroyed it all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Baghdad, 1257 AD. I'd give my eyeteeth to see, and more to record, all that I could from the grand library before the Mongols destroyed it all.

The Library of Alexandria before it was destroyed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chamale posted:

It's well-documented. I'd want to pick a time and place that isn't, such as the pre-contact Aztec empire. If I could take videos, I think it's important enough that I'd be willing to give up decades of my life to watch everything from the Arawak culture around 1490, the contact with Columbus and subsequent genocide, and then spend time observing pre-contact Aztecs and the fall of the empire.

There's a reason it's personal preference :ssh: :canada:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

The House of Wisdom in Baghdad was quite possibly bigger. It was the center of learning in the Islamic world during the Islamic Golden Age. Survivors said the Tigris ran black and red with ink from all the books thrown into the river and blood from the scientists and philosophers killed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The fact that he lumps H.M.S. Polyphemus and U.S.S. Katahdin together does not inspire confidence at all. They were vastly different ships built for vastly different purposes and had next to nothing in common except a general similarity of appearance.

I just basically called it a political hit piece. I'm pretty sure they got lumped together as ships that got passed by by the times because what made them work was based on something that changed. It's very weird and backwards considering the title, but it seems like the ships are chosen more to illustrate various ways the ship design process can fail than actual bad ships (a lot of why I thought it was really meant for political impact with a sensationalist title). After all, as one of the main influences likes to say, a source without context is dirty paper.

Incidentally, in another discussion, the subject of the RN engineering staff's decline in status and lacking sufficient numbers of experienced designers and British ship design came up, do you know much on the subject of WWI-WWII Royal Navy internal politics and engineering?

And I don't care when I go back to, but I'm coming back with Lives of Famous Whores. Jokes aside I think the best I could do is to do my best to turn myself into a pre-Colombian Rosetta Stone.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 6, 2015

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Indus River Valley. Any info I bring back will tell something new, easiest job ever.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Agean90 posted:

The Indus River Valley. Any info I bring back will tell something new, easiest job ever.

Part of the reason I want to go back to try to pick up pre-Columbian linguistics is because it'd be something incredibly lucrative but also because it'd be something that'd pretty quickly show that it worked and back itself up. Any idea on how not to become another theory on the subject even if you're right?

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Kanine posted:

If you had a time machine that could only travel back in time and return once, and you could only observe and not interact: what is the one time and place you would want to go back to?

You guys are missing the point. If you could really do this, the real thing to do would be to try to break the machine and learn about time.

The most obvious thing I can think of is to turn the machine to the earliest time it can go and see what happens.

xthetenth posted:

Part of the reason I want to go back to try to pick up pre-Columbian linguistics is because it'd be something incredibly lucrative but also because it'd be something that'd pretty quickly show that it worked and back itself up. Any idea on how not to become another theory on the subject even if you're right?

Trivial, just find their graveyards and trash dumps and mark them down on a map, then talk to some geologists to see where that volume of dirt is now. If nothing else you greatly increase your credibility. Of course, I think that simply presenting recordings of speech to linguists specializing in the current dead and dying languages of the continent would be sufficient in your case.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 6, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
You know, this would be an interesting question to track against all the various academic disciplines, not just historians. A biologist for instance would probably want to either go back to see dinosaurs, or to the primordial soup to observe the beginnings of life. A physicist would probably want to go all the way back to the Big Bang. An astronomer would probably pick any period with interesting but badly-documented cosmic phenomena. An engineer, maybe go back to Tesla to see what the hell he was on about with some of his wackier claims. And so on!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

chitoryu12 posted:

Go back and copy Lives of Famous Whores

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can't think of anything particularly valuable to the advancement of knowledge. I want to ride shotgun with Stanhope Ring and yell at him for a while for getting hopelessly lost.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Keldoclock posted:

You guys are missing the point.
Sure it is a waste but I was really jonesing for that crystal pepsi.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kanine posted:

Does not interacting mean I can't be killed? I'd pick the Chicxulub Impact. :getin: e: Actually no, I pick the formation of the moon.

pre-history, but whatevs. If I have to stick to actual history, it'd probably be the Aztecs during the fall, or late Republican Rome, just to see how well we actually understand the most studied period in ancient history. While I'm there, copy Lives of Famous Whores and watch a legion fight.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A lot of you would get pretty squeamish the first time you have to crap in a pot. But I'm sure it just gets easier and easier.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

im pretty sure wiping your rear end with your hand would cause more problems

After all, what is a toilet but a pot with running water?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cythereal posted:

200 books of Arabic puns.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Agean90 posted:

Hey now, my subjects belong to the modern age, they wouldn't dream of wiping their asses with their hands.
They use their shirttails.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

A lot of you would get pretty squeamish the first time you have to crap in a pot. But I'm sure it just gets easier and easier.

Is this an intentional dysentery joke?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

cheerfullydrab posted:

You've never been on a long hike and felt the call? It really isn't so bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agean90 posted:

After all, what is a toilet but a pot with running water?

I feel like I might get red text'ed for this, but wiping your rear end with your hand is only as bad as the lack of soap and running water and the modern nail clipper.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PittTheElder posted:

You've never been on a long hike and felt the call? It really isn't so bad.

I've been on some quite long trips in the woods.

Milhist answers about time travel, go to all the sleepy villages and farms that had incredibly decisive battles on them, buy the land for very little, then travel forward in time to an appropriate place where you can sell the land to people who want to set up hotels and tourist attractions and stuff. Or to governments who want to build monuments.

edit: this strategy only works when you'll be assured that a legal framework enabling you to keep your legal title to the land will exist after whatever horrible battle happens on it

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
People remember the stipulation of you being invisible and essentially a ghost, and only being able to go back and forth once.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Amelia Earhart's plane on her final voyage. Because D-day is a bad choice apparently.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wheres the guy with the admittedly male nipples text? Cuz I bet I know where he'd like to go.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I'd go back to late 1930s Germany with a modern camera and a male and a female prostitute and prove once and for all what was Hitler's skin colour and sexual orientation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hogge Wild posted:

I'd go back to late 1930s Germany with a modern camera and a male and a female prostitute and prove once and for all what was Hitler's skin colour and sexual orientation.

Don't forget to count his balls.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If I had to pick just one, I'd be following Gaius Marius on the campaigns that made the man.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'd go to Yalta summit and see if Churchill really did assassinate Stalin by slipping poison into his pipe. All photos of Stalin after February 1945 have his face wrinkles a little smoother, suggesting he was replaced with a body double.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

JaucheCharly posted:

If I had to pick just one, I'd be following Gaius Marius on the campaigns that made the man.

This but Julius Caesar in Gaul and after.

I'd consider saying Napoleon but we already know a poo poo load about that with much greater certainty.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The Mongol Invasion into Europe would also be something to behold.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Amarna, during the eponymous period.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sullat posted:

Didn't De Gaulle basically coup the 4th Republic? Like they were having some political crisis over Algeria and he was like gently caress this, I'm in charge now, write me a constitution with a powerful presidency that's immune to prosecution please.

Well, sort of. The 5th Republic emerged during the reaction phase to the algerian crisis, as you say, with De Gaulle basically stepping forwards and presenting himself as a saviour of the country (again), basically sacrificing the French colonial empire and parliamentary supremacy in favour of domestic political stability. A bunch of leftie intellectuals (most prominently one Jean-Paul Sartre) were furious, but there was nothing they could do - the implicit threat of a military coup was hanging over everyone's heads, and people trusted De Gaulle. Sartre's essay "The Frogs who Demanded a King" is very good reading, and it's set almost precisely at this juncture.

So, yeah, a kind of soft coup. French political history is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Right next to Donald Trump, as he types in the PIN for his bank account.

• Locked thread