Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
i think you'll find that die was cocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
drat youre right mine is cocked

can I shake yours instead?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Baaaaahahahaha so FMCs arriving via deep strike have to be swooping. A summoned bloodthirster can't assault anything for two turns. *throws Daemonkin codex in bin*

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

spacegoat posted:

Baaaaahahahaha so FMCs arriving via deep strike have to be swooping. A summoned bloodthirster can't assault anything for two turns. *throws Daemonkin codex in bin*

It has been pointed out that using the Blood Tithe ability happens before the movement phase, so while it arrives in Swoop mode, you can immediately switch modes and assault on the turn following its arrival (which is pretty much standard for such units.) Does leave you pretty vulnerable to guns still, tho.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
While I'd prefer that were the ruling (praying to not mishap and then sitting around for one turn is bad enough) but why would the rule exist at all? Deep striking units can't assault anyway so why else would they force a flight mode on you?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because he flies in? :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Remember when I posted bad cell phone pictures of my models? Well, I finally re-took them using my DSLR setup. None of these have any post-effects. Despite that, it's basically a transmogrification.

I also won 'Traitor Of The Month' over on Bolter & ChainSword for my breacher squad. They asked me to take shots of the whole army. I'll only make you suffer through the breachers since this thread has put up with my poo poo for far too long anyway. They are the best and worst things I’ve ever painted: the worst because they took me the longest, but the best because they took me the longest.

Here are closeups of my favorites. I feel the conversions really help bring these guys to life instead of making them look like a static wall:

Here's my Vexillari (or "standard barer" in sperg). Of all my models, I spent the most time on these two. They're the best infantry models I’ve painted to date.

I also started a lovely blog if you're into bad puns. All my tutorials, image dumps, and libertarian rants are there- so you don't have to dig through my post history (lets face it, nobody wants to dig through 100 pages of BULBASAUR poo poo posts).

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 6, 2015

dimi
Oct 15, 2014

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Can someone give me a hand finding a bit? I'm looking for a space marine right arm that is able to hold something (I'm going to put a book in there). There's lots of left hand options for things like holding bolters but no luck otherwise. Any help?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BULBASAUR those are some amazing tiny mans

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo that's a lot of pictures. Amazing poo poo though, dude. Everything's really well done and the amount of effort is obvious.

I'm going to be real interested to see what you do with Perturabo when he's eventually released.

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

dimi posted:

Can someone give me a hand finding a bit? I'm looking for a space marine right arm that is able to hold something (I'm going to put a book in there). There's lots of left hand options for things like holding bolters but no luck otherwise. Any help?

If you can't find one from a space marine, this canoness has a bit that might work.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Those Iron Warriors are loving boss, dude. The better camera makes a huge difference in the coloring.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
So, opening games on the new table.

First game was my Ork trash mob against ShadowDaishi's Wolves for the TheChirurgaign. I was obligingly demolished, and my killa kans extended their run of "games played without scoring a meaningful hit" to 3.

Second was more interesting. We decided to play 750, as a test run of our lists for the next round of TheCampirurgaign in a couple of weeks.

Dark Angels:
librarian
10 tactical mans, plasma gun, rhino
5 tactical mans, plasma gun, rhino
5 bikes, 2 meltas and a combi-melta
5 devastators, 4 missile launchers
Land speeder, heavy bolter and assault cannon

Space Wolves:
10 Blood Claws
10 Grey Hunters
wolf lord with power sword
Vindicator
3 thunderwolf cav, regular bolt pistol/CCW
long fangs, 2 missiles and a lascannon

I took one picture, during my first turn:

You can sort of guess my strategy from that, but: I went first, hid the speeder and the rhinos behind terrain, and scout moved the bikes as far as possible to try and blow up the Vindicator before it got to shoot. That loving thing has kicked my rear end all back and forth across the table, and blowing it up would free my tacticals from having to hide in their rhinos, and let the missiles worry about his long fangs. Plus it made him kinda mad, probably, which rules but is why I stopped taking pictures - didn't want to seem like I was gloating (also I forgot).

The bikes charged up, rolled two glances and a penetrating hit (which turned into an explosion that killed one of the bikers - which is why the list says five and the picture has four). The missiles took out most of his long fangs, but they left one of his missiles firing, which took out a couple more guys over the course of the game. His turn, the wolves ran in and murdered my bikes, which is fine, I'm not super thrilled but I'll make that trade.

Then were was two turns of his dudes hiding in that middle piece of terrain and me chipping wounds off with the speeder, while our heavy weapon squads pinged krak missiles off each other. The real goal here was me trying to stay out of assault range, and him trying to stay out of LoS for shooting.

Turn 4 I piled out of the rhinos and double-tapped into the Grey Hunters, who got rekt and fell back a bit, and then killed one of his thunderwolves with overwatch, which hosed up his charge and took the game from "maybe he can do some punching and make it a close loss" to "I kind of feel bad about how bad you got demolished and should send your family a card expressing my condolences". We called it then.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this list, and with the fact that, for once, I bothered to think about what my mans were up to, instead of just like, running around and getting punched in the face (like, I couldn't think of a good thing to murder with the speeder turn one, so I just kept it in the backfield where at least it would not get murdered). Though, really, the only reason I got away with that is because he didn't think about how dangerous scouting bikes with meltas are, and if the Vindicator were a couple inches further back or positioned so I couldn't get front armor, it never would have worked - I'm fairly certainly I'll never get away with that trick again.

I suggested to Daesh that he cram a rhino into the list if he can, use it to screen the wolves as they move up the field, and I'm not sure about the long fangs - it's good that he finally has some long range shooting, but I'm not sure the 2 missiles 1 las (which he planned to split-fire out, if I hadn't murdered the thing the top of turn one) layout really works? I'm not sure what he really could have done there, after the vindicator blew up, since I wasn't going to oblige him wanting to murderpunch my dudes, and he didn't have anything that could open up the rhinos.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whilst we're posting 30k stuff, here's my first completed VIII legion Terror Squad

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cataphract posted:

Whilst we're posting 30k stuff, here's my first completed VIII legion Terror Squad

I don't know why but the middle one reminds me of Sylvester Stallone.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Irate Tree posted:

Looks more like Jack Black to me.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Irate Tree posted:

It's the slack bit of the face, I think.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
BULBASAUR, your Iron Warriors look so loving good.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ANAmal.net posted:

I murdered my friend

Yeah, a lot of what contributed to your victory will likely never happen again. Provided you rolled to go first and he deployed second, his deployment created several vulnerabilities which he will probably learn to avoid from now on.

As for the Long Fangs, they're not a bad idea at all and are one of the nice differences that Space Wolves have compared to standard Space Marine armies, but like every other Heavy Support non-vehicle unit if there's no cover they're essentially hosed. Your table looks nice but without any Ruins or ForestsTWISTED COPSES any unit that must remain stationary is screwed. A vehicle screen isn't a terrible idea but it doesn't really resolve the fact that on that table if they want a decent shot at things they have to be on high (open) ground.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, a lot of what contributed to your victory will likely never happen again. Provided you rolled to go first and he deployed second, his deployment created several vulnerabilities which he will probably learn to avoid from now on.

As for the Long Fangs, they're not a bad idea at all and are one of the nice differences that Space Wolves have compared to standard Space Marine armies, but like every other Heavy Support non-vehicle unit if there's no cover they're essentially hosed. Your table looks nice but without any Ruins or ForestsTWISTED COPSES any unit that must remain stationary is screwed. A vehicle screen isn't a terrible idea but it doesn't really resolve the fact that on that table if they want a decent shot at things they have to be on high (open) ground.

Yeah, he's a real quick study and rarely makes the same mistake twice (dude has been playing 40k for like less than a year and routinely trounces motherfuckers - he's also the brains of the outfit when we play MWO or Payday and Hearthstone or whatever), so I don't doubt that if we played this game again I'd get pantsed. His deployments are usually good, but this was an unusually open table. Mostly because I'm still in the process of building out terrain for it, but we wanted a break from the city fight table downstairs that we use all the time, and the only good purpose-built "put heavy weapons here" piece was on my side - he had his long fangs on the two-step hill in the top left, but they got blasted in my first round of shooting. He deployed entirely on one half of the table, and when he pulled the cavalry out of position to murder my bikes, they ended up too far away to support anything for the rest of the game. The combination of his corner deployment and low mobility (other than the cav) kinda hosed him over, and unfortunately for me, he knows it.

If nothing else, I've got two more sheets of foam to work with, and a gigantic box of Mantic terrain to build out, so it should be less punishing on assaulty armies going forward.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ANAmal.net posted:

... Plus it made him kinda mad, probably, which rules but is why I stopped taking pictures - didn't want to seem like I was gloating (also I forgot). ...

Turn 4 I piled out of the rhinos and double-tapped into the Grey Hunters, who got rekt and fell back a bit, and then killed one of his thunderwolves with overwatch, which hosed up his charge and took the game from "maybe he can do some punching and make it a close loss" to "I kind of feel bad about how bad you got demolished and should send your family a card expressing my condolences". We called it then.

Catachan Beer guy and you make the best battle reports, you guys get it (I don't). I really need a bunch of beer before I remember to just shove models across the table and roll dice.

Long Fangs are still a bit overpriced, as far as I know, but they're one of the few fire support options that Space Wolves have. Aren't the four buddies of the leader required to take heavy weapons? That was the worst part: a squad of 5 where all 5 are vital in some way, they were previously far worse since even heavy bolters were kinda pricey.

As far as cracking open the Rhinos, he could have charged them so long as he could reach them. Decimated Longfangs and RIP Vindicator did mean he had few things to cover them, but it's a small board. Assaulting a transport full of shooty dudes is a hazardous plan, but be a Space Wolf and hope that hugemanatee ensues his next turn if the Dark Angels get pinned in their burning wreck.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Is Bitz Barn a reliable source nowadays? It looks like they're the only place I can order the Hector Rex parts from, but I've never dealt with them before.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
BULBASAUR those look sick! Really love the subtlety you get with the oils.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR: Models looking great as usual. The new camera is a huge improvement. What's your setup like?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

RECOVER MY GENE-SEED, BROTHER

BROTHER, WAIT

WHERE ARE YOU GOING

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Those Iron Warriors are loving boss, dude. The better camera makes a huge difference in the coloring.

Bulbasaur - Was it all the camera, or better lighting and post production? (I'm genuinely curious.) Also, what was your setup?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

http://www.powerfisted.com I also started a lovely blog - (lets face it, nobody wants to dig through 100 pages of BULBASAUR poo poo posts).

As someone who has done exactly that, I welcome this new optimized method.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 6, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, my second tournament is at the end of the month, and the points allowance has been dropped to 1250. Some things I took away from the last tournament were that army quality, balance, and sportsmanship are just as important to victory on the table, at least by this tournament's standard. With this in mind I want to try to make the most balanced list I can, while still being able to be competitive. Every game I lost was usually a result of not being able to get objectives in time, or being hosed by the tactical objectives deck. My collection is set to expand immensely due to a big Ebay purchase(which will likely involve no small amount of reselling, so if someone wants to snag some well painted Ultramarines, let me know @uroboros1985@hotmail.com, and I will let you know what extra I end up with). That being said here are my options, but keep in mind force balance, which specifically mentions using every force Org unit type at least once, and have a majority of my points going to troops choices:

HQ options -
Marneus Calgar(not allowed)
Chief Librarian Tigurius
2x Regular Librarians
Chaplain
Chaplain w/ Jump Pack
2x Captains
Chaplain Cassius

Troops -
60+ Bolter Marines w/ any combination of special weapons needed, I will even have some Sergeants with special weapons such as powerfists.
10x Scouts - Half with Sniper Rifles, half with Bolters, and Scout Sergeant Telion

Dedicated Transport Options
5x Drop Pods
8x Rhinos - 4 of which can become Razorbacks

Elites
15x Terminators w/ 2 Assault cannons, 1 Cyclone Missile Launcher
5x Assault Terminators w/ 3 Hammers, 2 Claws
25x Sternguard
3x Assault Centurions(shared weapons with Devastator Centurions)
1x Dreadnaught w/ either Multi-Meta, Powerfist, Lascannon, or Missile Launcher
1x Contemptor Mortis (forgeworld barred from tournament)

Fast Attack
10x Assault Marines w/ powerfist on sergeant
1x Stormtalon w/ either Lascannon or Skyhammers
4x Land Speeders w/ 2x Multi-Meltas, Typhoon Missile Launcher, and a Heavy Bolter/Assault Cannon combo.

Heavy Support
1x Land Raider Redeemer or Crusader
3x Centurion Devastators
1x Tri-Las Predator
4x Lascannon Marines, 6x Missile Launcher Marines, 2 Plasma-Cannons, 2 Heavy Bolters, 1 Multi-Melta.
1x Stalker

Misc
Aegis Defense Line with Quadgun(unsure if this is allowed)

Here is a list I came up with before my purchase pretty much doubled my current available points to nearly 6,000.

HQ
Chief Librarian Tigurius - 165

Elite
8x Sternguard w/ Rhino and Heavy Flamer - 236

Troops
10x Marines w/ Rhino and Flamer - 180
10x Marines w/ Rhino, Plasma-Gun, Combi-Gun - 200
10x Marines w/ Rhino, Multi-Melta, Melta-Gun, Combi-Gun - 205

Fast Attack
StormTalon w/ Skyhammers - 125

Heavy Support
Tri-Las Predator - 140

I realize I now have way more options for stream-lining this force. I feel like a punk bringing Tigiurius again, but I opted to drop the Cents, and was wondering how effective the Chief Librarian rolling around with Sternguard giving them rending attacks, ignore cover, rerolls, or overwatch at full BS would be. This list at least hits every slot, and puts the largest point expenditure in troops, and covers most threats.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 6, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

Each individual squad within the Platoon is a separate unit and is treated completely separately (unless you choose to use the Combined Squads option with the Infantry Squads in the Platoon.) You don't have to keep them anywhere near each other if you don't want to; the fact that they are "associated" only has any meaning during army construction.

Missed this earlier - thanks. So Combined Squads is where I'd combine all of the troops in a platoon into one giant mass?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Missed this earlier - thanks. So Combined Squads is where I'd combine all of the troops in a platoon into one giant mass?

All the infantry squads. The platoon command squad, and heavy or special weapon teams are always separate units.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the kind words dudes. It’s been a labor of love.

As an aside, I chose a specific god to ‘influence’ them, even though they’re marked as undivided, and sprinkled hints at who exactly throughout the models. Some dude on B&C already guessed correctly so apparently its less subtle than I thought.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Bulbasaur - Was it all the camera, or better lighting and post production? (I'm genuinely curious.) Also, what was your setup?

It’s all camera and diffused lighting. I just imported them to photoshop and then made sure the white balance was correct and the temperature felt right.

I’m using x3 150W daylight bulbs, two on each side bouncing off the back and a 3rd one bouncing off the top of a white lightbox. My desk is frosted black glass, which has been the best thing to stand them on. It bounces back just the right amount of light. I use a tripod and a really low ISO, so my exposure is ~1-2 seconds. It’s the only thing that’s worked for this particular paint scheme.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Minis are cool and all, but I need to read these libertarian rants...

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
36% done with rebasing my IG army. 64 models to go. May the emperor have mercy.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Ugh, I picked up some Agrellan Earth and I like it because it takes zero effort, but my attempts to kind of dry brush highlight the cracks turned out to look like poo poo...

Kind of half the reason I was never keen on basing my guys was because I didn't want to end up with a bunch of mixed bases, when atleast the pure black makes them match, this is not the case now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

sounds fun

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks for the kind words dudes. It’s been a labor of love.

As an aside, I chose a specific god to ‘influence’ them, even though they’re marked as undivided, and sprinkled hints at who exactly throughout the models. Some dude on B&C already guessed correctly so apparently its less subtle than I thought.

I think it's Nurgle. Rusty, green accessories, lots of skull with halo imagery like deathguard

Loving your stuff dude.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Uroboros posted:

Ugh, I picked up some Agrellan Earth and I like it because it takes zero effort, but my attempts to kind of dry brush highlight the cracks turned out to look like poo poo...

Kind of half the reason I was never keen on basing my guys was because I didn't want to end up with a bunch of mixed bases, when atleast the pure black makes them match, this is not the case now.

I've found a brown ink wash works quite well, and I'm using matt varnish to stop the Big bits coming loose

All Very much WIP, but Red guys, just Agrellan Earth, Blue guys with a wash as well:

Renfield fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 6, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
All the black and white makes me think it's something dumb like Malal.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

All the black and white makes me think it's something dumb like Malal.
Malal's the best. I was trying to describe him to a friend on the way to a tournament a few weeks back and settled on "he's the Chaos God of loving up Chaos."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Renfield posted:

I've found a brown ink wash works quite well, and I'm using matt varnish to stop the Big bits coming loose

All Very much WIP, but Red guys, just Agrellan Earth, Blue guys with a wash as well:

Those are some pretty cool looking better game models right there :smug: (Except the malifaux models in the background. gently caress that game)

• Locked thread