Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Castlevania 1 is probably the best.

ban this sick filth

It's not even the best platformer CV Rondo beats it by miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

*refreshes this webpage* What a horrible night to have a curse...

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Nerf holy water.

"uh duhhh... holy water is fine no need to nerf it":goonsay:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

qnqnx posted:

the 3DS version has the objectively better single player gamemodes

Now this... this is the truth.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If you don't think Order of Ecclesia was one of the best games ever, you are retarded in the head.

PS Albus for Smash 4.

Lessail posted:

I'll be the one to say it: subspace emissary was boring

I never touched it in Brawl but honestly I feel like the 3DS version could have really used a single player mode like Adventure mode from Melee.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it would be cool if classic mode was in smash bros for wii u

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

F. Lobot posted:

drat, you're right. Will a Reddit tier list suffice for now?

Customs off:

Customs on:

There still seems to be a huge amount of movement and variation in these tier lists. The only part that seems really consistent is the top handful of characters.

It's awesome that Nintendo is still up for some more balance tweaks because there are super blatant issues. It is straight up nonsensical how unbelievably bad Samus's down smash is. It can't kill until near200% even though it is not uniquely fast or low risk or anything. It's made extra annoying by how sweetspot dependent her forward smash is and how bizarrely difficult it is to land her up smash.

In terms of OP moves I hate: those dumb down special kicks ZSS and Sheik do.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cicadas! posted:

This was such a depressing result :smith:
This was the funner match anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1AveMj6xE

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
The Mario Party but insanely confusing and dumb Wii U mode is way worse than smash run, but the 3DS version ain't got event mode or the hand order things, which are cool.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

qnqnx posted:

the 3DS version has the objectively better single player gamemodes

Mostly true. But, I do love me some Crazy Orders.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Whatev posted:

The Mario Party but insanely confusing and dumb Wii U mode is way worse than smash run, but the 3DS version ain't got event mode or the hand order things, which are cool.

Events for Wii U Smash is mostly frustrating, especially when you're gunning for the rewards. The best Events tend to be the All-Star Battle ones anyways.

As for Master and Crazy Orders, Crazy Orders is good but it doesn't really reach the goodness of 3DS Classic Mode (both modes handily beat Wii U's Classic Mode).

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The amount of companies that have publicly made it known that want their characters in Smash is something else. Everything from Konami retweeting Snake4 Smash tweets, to the Shantae Shovel Knight, to the Cave Story guys and even Super Meat Boy.

I get that it probably boils down to massive exposure for their character/franchise, but part of me wants to think, that at some level, everyone enjoys playing Smash Bros and wants to see their characters in them.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Whatev posted:

There still seems to be a huge amount of movement and variation in these tier lists. The only part that seems really consistent is the top handful of characters.

thats because they get more play then anyone else. the lower tier characters aren't set in stone at all especially this early on

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

sharrrk posted:

thats because they get more play then anyone else. the lower tier characters aren't set in stone at all especially this early on

I can feel it. Now is the time for Wii Fit Trainer's slow ascent to SSS-tier

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ruggington posted:

I can feel it. Now is the time for Wii Fit Trainer's slow ascent to SSS-tier

my condolences

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

once she becomes the new diddy and goes hollywood she won't have much time for me anymore, but at least I'll know she's doing well

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

maybe one day I'll pass by her on the street and we'll give each other a knowing glance; we're different people now, we've moved on, but we both yearn for a time when things were simpler, together

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Okay real talk in regards to this fighter ballot, why haven't I seen anyone voting for the Hornet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JprslmK5X8

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What up now it's time to vote for the biggity Buck Bumble

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Cave Story man would actually be a great addition (after banjo kazooie)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sharrrk posted:

this is just from a quick search so there are probably even better examples but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVnuQEC-pyI&t=105s

killing at really low percents will generally only be on stages with low ceilings like halberd or delfino plaza, but even on a normal stage like smashville it kills way earlier than it has any right to. if you want to watch a player to try to learn rosalina from, dabuz is good player to watch
Thanks, I'm bad at finding specific Smash Bros. plays.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The amount of companies that have publicly made it known that want their characters in Smash is something else. Everything from Konami retweeting Snake4 Smash tweets, to the Shantae Shovel Knight, to the Cave Story guys and even Super Meat Boy.

I get that it probably boils down to massive exposure for their character/franchise, but part of me wants to think, that at some level, everyone enjoys playing Smash Bros and wants to see their characters in them.
Everyone wants to see their character stand next to Mario. It doesn't matter who you are, if you're in games, you want that.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Kazuo Hirai buzzes his secretary "No calls for the next hour, please". He pulls out the key he wears on the chain around his neck, and unlocks his top drawer. He pulls out a Little Big Planet plush and...what's this? A Mario amiibo? He lays them next to each other in the centre of his wide, empty desk, and a smile begins to tug at the corner of his mouth.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aston posted:

Kazuo Hirai buzzes his secretary "No calls for the next hour, please". He pulls out the key he wears on the chain around his neck, and unlocks his top drawer. He pulls out a Little Big Planet plush and...what's this? A Mario amiibo? He lays them next to each other in the centre of his wide, empty desk, and a smile begins to tug at the corner of his mouth.
This happens in game development offices across the nation every day.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In the Naughty Dog offices there's a giant wall mural that depicts Crash teaching Mario how to do his spin attack. They're both laughing. They are friends.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
bomberman collecting dust in a locker. it's owner, dead from being overworked.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dizz posted:

bomberman collecting dust in a locker. it's owner, dead from being overworked.
Bomberman was already in a game with Wario. He had his chance.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I had Wario vs Bomberman on the GB, it was quite fun and Wario fused together with his clones to form evil bosses.

Everyone's being p. harsh on Konami lately but if they push to have Snake back in Smash I will forgive them. But make it Big Boss this time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I must play Samus different than most people, but I do not see her as bottom tier. Not top either, but I can pretty consistently wreck shop with her.

She's got a great ranged game and easy-to-connect kill moves like screw attack. Her throw sucks ballz though. With a good throw she'd be A or B tier for me.

Voted for Karnov

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Aston posted:

Cave Story man would actually be a great addition (after banjo kazooie)

Quote for truth

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Trent posted:

I must play Samus different than most people, but I do not see her as bottom tier. Not top either, but I can pretty consistently wreck shop with her.

She's got a great ranged game and easy-to-connect kill moves like screw attack. Her throw sucks ballz though. With a good throw she'd be A or B tier for me.

Voted for Karnov

Yeah I regularly destroy even good players in For Glory with Samus. I think the reasons tournament players shy away from her are:

-slow, wierd grab
-slow, wierd roll that is very easy for some characters to punish
-slow, wierd air dodge that is very easy for some characters to punish

Because otherwise she's pretty good.

Then there's also the fact that simply playing a character not many people play/fight against can give you a leg up. I play a very nasty Dedede and most people don't seem to know what to expect from him and get completely flattened.

Frankly, though, I put little stock in tier lists. With the exception of Wario, everyone I play is listed as pretty crappy and I still do very well. You could say that the characters tournament players win with the most are probably the best, and this likely has some truth to it, but you have to remember that tourney players are playing primarily to win, and are more likely to pick a character they already know is good than to experiment with someone commonly believed to suck. If you were trying to win money or make a name for yourself in, say, racing, would you use a car design that has won championships for the last 8 years or something that just came out 6 months ago that nobody's really messed with much? I know what I'd choose, and I think something similar happens with the pro community in games.

Just my 2 cents. Plus, for the vast majority of us who don't play the game at the highest level, the tier list, even if 100% accurate, would mean very little, since it describes how the characters relate to each other in power when played drat near perfectly. For most matches, even 1v1 For Glory, something other than the tier of the characters will determine who wins. Someone could be more familiar with the map, or not know a certain match-up. I've fought players on For Glory, for instance, that I just couldn't get a win out of playing as Wario or Robin, but that I repeatedly 2-stocked as Dedede or Samus.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Trent posted:

I must play Samus different than most people, but I do not see her as bottom tier.

Then you play people that aren't good, Samus is really really bad.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Then you play people that aren't good, Samus is really really bad.

Basically this. I've mained Samus since forever and I do pretty well with her in Smash but that's just a mixture of me being pretty good with her, my opponents probably not being tournament level, and a lot of people not knowing what to do against her since she's not that commonly used. As mentioned earlier, her up and down smashes could both do with some improvements, and I feel like the charge shot could have a bit more oomph to it as well. One time in For Glory I encountered a really good Mario in KOed me pretty early into the match, then I managed to get rid of one of his lives while he kept wailing on me but couldn't land a decent kill move. I finally beat him while he was edge grabbing because he didn't realize a fully charged Power Beam could hit him there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/05/nintendo-of-america-representative-says-any-video-game-character-is-eligible-for-super-smash-bros/

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Yes but can I vote for "The Game" Hunter Hearst Helmsley

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Ruggington posted:

Yes but can I vote for "The Game" Hunter Hearst Helmsley

I don't know... was he in Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role for the Playstation 1? Of course he was dumbass. he was on the freaking cover.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd rather have had a non-freeform poll just so I could see what the results were like.

PS: Hitler was in Wolfenstein, right? JW. No reason.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Who the gently caress wanted Issac in over Wonder Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Simon Belmont isn't there, Reddit is full of Broke Brains, news at 11.

• Locked thread