Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

waitwhatno posted:

The whole thing is a huge joke. The real danger for Bavaria lies in the fact that you might have access to large amounts of very valuable and sensitive research data. But no one asks you about your financial troubles or friends in Chinese state companies.

I don't know about Bavaria, but as someone in the public sector of another Bundesland, I've had to sign a Schuldenerklärung several times in my career so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

I faintly remember how the media dug something up about free love and naked children and somehow this got transformed into pedo-accusations. It just made me slowly shake my head at the entire thing in contempt. But I do confess "They're probably not really pedophiles" isn't a hill worth defending. :shrug:

Affairs like those however made me start writing my own party preambel and looking up how to found your own political organization. But I'm lazy and as long as the Greens are not going off the deep end like the other parties, I'm still forced to vote them.

The Greens still beat the other parties, barely.
A Green vote is a black vote though. And by black, I mean anti-nuclear, massively pro-coal. Also, arguably, nobody else could have led the world into a new era of German international military involvements.

A friend once voted "Grey Panthers" because he thought, cool name, that some Ninja club or what? I am beginning to think he made the right choice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

A Green vote is a black vote though. And by black, I mean anti-nuclear, massively pro-coal. Also, arguably, nobody else could have led the world into a new era of German international military involvements.

A friend once voted "Grey Panthers" because he thought, cool name, that some Ninja club or what? I am beginning to think he made the right choice.

I know people on this forum are getting high on nuclear power like the Radioactive Man, but it is still barely better than chocking coal dust.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Libluini posted:

I know people on this forum are getting high on nuclear power like the Radioactive Man, but it is still barely better than chocking coal dust.

what

this is the sort of statement you're going to have to qualify

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

what

this is the sort of statement you're going to have to qualify

This came up in the Eastern Europe thread a couple times when discussing Europe's dependance on Russian oil and what to do about it. Most people were in agreement about how being anti-nuclear is silly and backwards and makes coal plants automatically appear like some kind of evil magic spell. Also it forces you to buy oil and gas from Russia, which at least is semi-correct if taken out of context.

Posts about alternatives to coal and nuclear power like geothermics and solar were mostly ignored or got a good portion of "And they're bad, too!"-posts. (And no, I'm not bitter. :mad:)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

...conservation of the environment...
...conservatism...

Makes you think.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Libluini posted:

This came up in the Eastern Europe thread a couple times when discussing Europe's dependance on Russian oil and what to do about it. Most people were in agreement about how being anti-nuclear is silly and backwards and makes coal plants automatically appear like some kind of evil magic spell. Also it forces you to buy oil and gas from Russia, which at least is semi-correct if taken out of context.

Posts about alternatives to coal and nuclear power like geothermics and solar were mostly ignored or got a good portion of "And they're bad, too!"-posts. (And no, I'm not bitter. :mad:)

this is really dumb and a complete mischaracterisation of the debate on nuclear energy, you realise

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

The best option being bad still means it can be crucial to pursue it, if we're talking about things on such a massive scale.

But really, this is probably not the best thread to have this discussion.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

this is really dumb and a complete mischaracterisation of the debate on nuclear energy, you realise
I'd argue the it's a decent representation of the debate about nuclear power in Germany, which is almost never conducted rationally.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Buying oil from Russia is good because it strengthens the economy of our reliable partner Russia and posted of the Brits and all those garbage tier countries like Poland and Ukraine that stole our gas before we had the alternative pipelines.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Shutting down coal and gas plants is important because of CO2 emissions and climate change. It's a huge deal, and we are probably already screwed, but we can try to keep the damage as low as possible.

Shutting down nuclear reactors is very bad. They are relatively safe as long as they are not hit by a >9 magnitude earthquake AND a tsunami, which is unlikely hear in Germany. Those reactors were replaced by a mix of fossil fuel plants and renewable energy sources, but if Merkel hadn't decided to abolish nuclear energy, we could have replace coal and gas plants with renewable energy sources and we would produce a lot less greenhouse gases.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am for safe nuclear power in the form of Liquid Salt Thorium Reactors.

Now that I have outed myself as pro-nuclear, I am sure the Austrian police will abseil through my windows any moment now, to punish me for my dissenting views.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Torrannor posted:

Shutting down coal and gas plants is important because of CO2 emissions and climate change. It's a huge deal, and we are probably already screwed, but we can try to keep the damage as low as possible.

Shutting down nuclear reactors is very bad. They are relatively safe as long as they are not hit by a >9 magnitude earthquake AND a tsunami, which is unlikely hear in Germany. Those reactors were replaced by a mix of fossil fuel plants and renewable energy sources, but if Merkel hadn't decided to abolish nuclear energy, we could have replace coal and gas plants with renewable energy sources and we would produce a lot less greenhouse gases.

true story, the energy produced specifically at chernobyl caused about as many deaths per kilowatt hour as the average (i think) european coal plant

i did the maths for this in another thread a while back, it's crazy. fukushima doesn't even register. being categorically opposed to nuclear energy is a purely reactionary policy

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Greens should stop catering to NIMBYs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

true story, the energy produced specifically at chernobyl caused about as many deaths per kilowatt hour as the average (i think) european coal plant

i did the maths for this in another thread a while back, it's crazy. fukushima doesn't even register. being categorically opposed to nuclear energy is a purely reactionary policy

I'm pretty sure that even solar and wind end up with a higher rate of deaths/kWh than nuclear, just through construction and maintenance accidents. Nuclear generators simply put out a completely ridiculous amount of power.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

How can you even calculate something like that, when there is no clear consensus on how many death Chernobyl caused? Trying to establish clear causes for cancer in a lovely and heavily polluted country like Ukraine is probably a real nightmare.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The Greens should stop catering to NIMBYs.

But thats pretty much their core voter group.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

Supporting nuclear power is also dumb, so it equals out in the end

(Of course it's a complete mischaracterisation if you disagree. It's also totally the truth if you agree. Humans.txt)

Cingulate posted:

The best option being bad still means it can be crucial to pursue it, if we're talking about things on such a massive scale.

But really, this is probably not the best thread to have this discussion.

Nuclear is the second worst option right after burning stuff, so it's infact crucial to sabotage it at every opportunity.

Edit:

But really, it's nice to see solar and wind are still the only known alternative forms of energy here. Real informed opinions some of you have there... :allears:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

But thats pretty much their core voter group.
It's also almost the entire German population.
Merkel didn't shut down the plants because she was trying to appeal to Green voters, she did it because everyone in Germany is irrationally afraid of nuclear power.

V. Illych L. posted:

I've come to the same conclusion - coal power kills about as many people per energy produced than does nuclear power, but only when the coat plants are running as planned and the nuclear plants suffer a major accident. Without major accidents, nuclear is so much more healthy that voting Green is literally murder.

Thankfully, Merkel made the CDU also anti-nuclear so now I don't feel bad about not voting for racists-who-hate-the-poor.

waitwhatno posted:

How can you even calculate something like that, when there is no clear consensus on how many death Chernobyl caused? Trying to establish clear causes for cancer in a lovely and heavily polluted country like Ukraine is probably a real nightmare.
I just took the most pessimistic (credible) estimates.

Torrannor posted:

Shutting down coal and gas plants is important because of CO2 emissions and climate change.
Burning coal also puts a lot of other stuff in the air you want there beyond CO2. It's actually much worse than most people think.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

But really, it's nice to see solar and wind are still the only known alternative forms of energy here. Real informed opinions some of you have there... :allears:
Don't ask Germans to be creative about burning stuff.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

I've come to the same conclusion - coal power about as many people per energy produced than does nuclear power, but only when the coat plants are running as planned and the nuclear plants suffer a major accident. Without major accidents, nuclear is so much more healthy that voting Green is literally murder.

But all those coal death balance out by the Green's firm stance on participating in questionable military adventures that result in thousands of deaths, right? :ohdear:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

But all those coal death balance out by the Green's firm stance on participating in questionable military adventures that result in thousands of deaths, right? :ohdear:
WE HAD TO PREVENT ANOTHER AUSCHWITZ

waitwhatno posted:

Maybe I should have gone into more detail on this - but basically, while this is hard, it's also not something people haven't tried before. Basically, you compare levels of various radioactive materials over time to how many people die, and then calculate "excess deaths". It's not clean and you get numbers with huge margins of error, but basically, it would not be possible for something on the order of hundreds of thousands or more excess deaths to go unnoticed, even tens of thousands can be confidently excluded, so you're looking at a number in the range of zero to a few thousand, probably something between 50 and 2000 (for Chernobyl).
For reference, while this is terrible, you easily get more deaths for major accidents in chemical plants.

Recently there's been arguments that irrationally extreme fear of Chernobyl is actually causing more physical suffering than the actual accident ever did, though I never dug too deeply into these numbers.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 6, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also, to be fair, the SPD is probably even more pro-coal because they also have an active interest in that stuff, unlike the Greens who just ignore that it's the consequence of achieving their aims.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

waitwhatno posted:

i took a median estimate out of the ones i found, did the same with deaths pr. kilowatt/hr from various sources and compared it to an estimate of chernobyl's lifetime energy output.

the coal plants in question were not the very "cleanest" ones, and they may have been, like, the global average rather than the european average, I can't remember. caveat that this isn't my field, and it was for a forums post so i wasn't as thorough as i would have been if i was doing it for work, but i feel pretty comfortable in basing a belief off that work. there's some forbes article that does something similar, but tries to estimate deaths pr. KWh for all major energy production methods, here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/06/10/energys-deathprint-a-price-always-paid/

to be clear, this was where i started, i did investigate the sources and, to my eyes (again, this isn't my field, so I could only spot the most obvious bullshit) it all check out. i then did my own thing.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
An extinction level event would cause 7 billion deaths, but these events happen on average once in 100 million years, so when you calculate the per year impact, extinction events are really less than 0.01% as deadly as measles. :v:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wayfinder posted:

An extinction level event would cause 7 billion deaths, but these events happen on average once in 100 million years, so when you calculate the per year impact, extinction events are really less than 0.01% as deadly as measles. :v:

we should, in our policy, expend more resources towards combatting measles than preparing for an extinction event, yes, i agree

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wayfinder posted:

Of course, in this case, the choice is between an extinction-level event (climate change ... stay with me) AND the measles (regular plain old air pollution), versus neither. Well, neither plus a lot of stress-related ... stresses. Stress-related stresses, or whatever you get for worrying about nuclear.

Though of course I'm actually really happy we're this paranoid about this stuff, because it is precisely this why nuclear is extremely safe; people worry, so politicians enforce harsh regulations, which in turn make this inherently dangerous thing so much more secure. So I'm still thankful for what the Greens people did in, like, the 80s.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Cingulate posted:

I'd argue the it's a decent representation of the debate about nuclear power in Germany, which is almost never conducted rationally.

Pretty much.

In anecdotal evidence, most of the people I encountered throughout highschool/the military/early college categorized the following as a deeply troubling image and a key argument in the anti-nuclear-power debate:

Then, after Fukushima, the same people revived the "Atomkraft? Nein Danke!", slapped it on everything, and ended up patting themselves on the back, going "Job well done!".
I may quite possibly be able to recall every single friend of mine that was even willing to stipulate that it's a complicated issue and that our Lastabwurf auf Null in nuclear power may not have been the smartest, most nachhaltig or vorbildlich course of action.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Is there even a single party in Germany that's pro nuclear power?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

waitwhatno posted:

Use the numbers put out by sane anti-nuclear groups/researchers who use something resembling coherent methodology to estimate deaths. If these numbers end up in the ballpark of "nuclear not worse than renewables", then more power to the mighty atom (protip: this is the case).

KaneTW posted:

(a spin-off of) the Pirate Party, which is somewhat goony :lol:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 6, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Libluini posted:

Nuclear is the second worst option right after burning stuff, so it's infact crucial to sabotage it at every opportunity.

Do tell us what is so bad about nuclear power.

quote:

Edit:

Geothermal energy pfffft

Wave power takes up too much coast (all of it)

Further expanding hydro is an ecological catastrophe, and so are the hundreds of Pumpspeicherkraftwerke we will get thanks to our dumb misconceptions about risk and sustainability

Biomass is sort of ok as long as you actually only put waste that couldn't go into animal feed instead into the power plants but that's not much and even at the current level it encourages pointless land use and irresponsible agriculture (also terrible for the environment)

tl;dr put some amount of mixed renewables into our grid if you insist but put it on a nuclear backbone instead of a Biogasanlagen and storage backbone

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 6, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
P. sure burning biomass is bad for the climate regardless of how long the stuff has been in the ground before.

blowfish posted:

tl;dr put some amount of mixed renewables into our grid if you insist but put it on a nuclear backbone instead of a Biogasanlagen and storage backbone
I'd say it's almost a straw man to even make this point, as every pro-nuclear person I've ever heard really likes more renewables, they just dislike fossil fuel.

It's a strategy mistake to even make it about renewable energy; it's about fossil fuels, which we need to get rid of, for which the only realistic option is a mix of nuclear and renewables.

Also, one of the best German words is certainly "Verspargelung", a term used by overwhelmingly anti-nuclear people to complain about wind power towers.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

KaneTW posted:

LaRouche! LaRouche!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

blowfish posted:

Do tell us what is so bad about nuclear power.

The waste is bad, the buildings are contaminated for centuries, and there is the slight chance of a catastrophic event. If we can replace every nuclear power plant with renewable energy sources, we should. After we got rid of coal and gas. But that's a medium to long term issue, the pressing concern is over the burning of fossil fuels.

The scientists should hurry up with nuclear fusion research!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Forget fusion. It's way too complicated. Fission is significantly easier.
Just burn Thorium instead. It has hardly any waste and you can't make any bombs out of the waste.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Let's say we would use the money spend on renewable energy to save children in Africa (metaphor for saving live at the cheapest marginal cost per life) and used nuclear power instead. How many lives would that have saved? How many Fukushimas would be needed to balance it out again?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

Let's say we would use the money spend on renewable energy to save children in Africa (metaphor for saving live at the cheapest marginal cost per life) and used nuclear power instead. How many lives would that have saved?
In the long run? Probably a negative number.

That's a thing leftists occasionally do, think in the long run. It sometimes sounds strange to those not on the left, ie., badwrong people.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 6, 2015

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GaussianCopula posted:

Let's say we would use the money spend on renewable energy to save children in Africa (metaphor for saving live at the cheapest marginal cost per life) and used nuclear power instead. How many lives would that have saved?

Depends on whether we're counting the deaths due to desertification and rising tides that result from global warming

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Riso posted:

Forget fusion. It's way too complicated. Fission is significantly easier.
Just burn Thorium instead. It has hardly any waste and you can't make any bombs out of the waste.

Other things that are way too complicated and shouldn't be bothered with : Powered flight (what's wrong with ships and trains?), internal combustion engines (Horses are significantly easier to work with and have an existing infrastructure supporting them), electric lighting of cities (gas works just fine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
No seriously, it is significantly easier to just use Thorium power. It is a common element that would last us about 14 billion years and is a byproduct of rare earth production.

Plus the Chinese will have a working powerplant in the next five years. Fusion? Crickets.