Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah I expect it to be a bit tighter this winter, but as long as England continue to suffer from paralysis by analysis I guess the result will be something like 2-1 (either way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The first test sets the tone.. The gabba has played a role in Australia being quite good.

Remember when Australia couldn't bowl out the poms at Cardiff 5 years ago. That was where we lost the ashes.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking of. That was terrible, I was screaming at my TV at 4am for Ponting to bring Hilfenhaus on

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
He was such a bad captain. Not quite Cook level bad but pretty bad.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
That was the most frustrating moment of Ponting's captaincy for me. He wanted to get in as much overs as possible so he was bowling Marcus North ffs, even though Hilf had been bowling really well and we only needed one wicket.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Wasn't he worried about getting suspended for slow over rates?

I love that match. Never before or since have I been pacing around the room vigorously fist pumping at a leave.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel Richie posted:

Wasn't he worried about getting suspended for slow over rates?

I love that match. Never before or since have I been pacing around the room vigorously fist pumping at a leave.

He'd been warned that his next offence would be a match ban for slow over rates. So yes, basically England won the ashes because Ponting wanted to save his own arse.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Wasn't the spinner at the other end Hauritz as well? So he was completely screwed.

But those tests are the best - that's why the Sri Lanka series last year owned. The only ones better are when you have the last batsmen in with a target they could theoretically get - Edgebaston 2005 sort of thing

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Moeen's rear guard against Sri Lanka was like a greek tragedy.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

IceAgeComing posted:

Wasn't the spinner at the other end Hauritz as well? So he was completely screwed.

But those tests are the best - that's why the Sri Lanka series last year owned. The only ones better are when you have the last batsmen in with a target they could theoretically get - Edgebaston 2005 sort of thing

Last day of the last test in saffa last year was great for many reasons including pitch mics turned up too much so you could hear all the sledging and a realistic chaseable total.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

Moeen's rear guard against Sri Lanka was like a greek tragedy.

jimmy's almost heroic 58 ball duck

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
New Zealand Test squad to tour England:

Brendon McCullum (captain), Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell, Mark Craig, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Luke Ronchi, Hamish Rutherford, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Neil Wagner, BJ Watling, Kane Williamson

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Good to see Henry in there. Want to see more from him

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

goatface posted:

New Zealand Test squad to tour England:

Brendon McCullum (captain), Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell, Mark Craig, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Luke Ronchi, Hamish Rutherford, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Neil Wagner, BJ Watling, Kane Williamson

Good selection, Neesham unavailable with injury. Very interesting to see Guptill ahead of Brownlie, my understanding was Guptill was no longer an option as a test opener and was only being considered for the middle order - either things have changed there or we're really pushing ahead with Latham & Rutherford. The IPL players are unavaialable for the first class games so Henry, Bracewell, Wagner will get a head to head crack at the 3rd seamer job.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

There is a dude I've never heard of in our one day side. Think he's a spinning all rounder.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ewar Woowar posted:

There is a dude I've never heard of in our one day side. Think he's a spinning all rounder.

Mitchell Santner from ND, young left arm spinner, hard hitting batsman. Unlikely to play in any internationals, likely just there to gain experience.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Mitchell Santner from ND, young left arm spinner, hard hitting batsman. Unlikely to play in any internationals, likely just there to gain experience.

Why would they bother giving him experience if he was unlikely to ever play.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why would they bother giving him experience if he was unlikely to ever play.

Unlikely to play in the internationals in the current series, a prospect for the future.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Unlikely to play in the internationals in the current series, a prospect for the future.

I figured that after posting, but didn't feel like editing it. It seems like they want a Maxwell, though I've never seen this guy play.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Can't wait for a generation of poo poo bits'n'pieces all rounders to try to emulate Maxwell

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Drugs posted:

Can't wait for a generation of poo poo bits'n'pieces all rounders to try to emulate Maxwell

James Hopes, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, etc. This search for an All-Rounder has been going on long before the Show became Big.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Remember Shane Lee and Ian Harvey? Glorious players.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

BrigadierSensible posted:

James Hopes, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, etc. This search for an All-Rounder has been going on long before the Show became Big.

Voges rarely bowls. :confused:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I challenge people to listen to VVS Laxman on the latest Sky Sport podcast and not want to kill yourself. Holy poo poo I'd rather listen to 5 Shane Warnes talking about pizza.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I hate VVS Laxman. He should never ever be allowed in front of a microphone.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You should read this article. I think you'd enjoy it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

I challenge people to listen to VVS Laxman on the latest Sky Sport podcast and not want to kill yourself. Holy poo poo I'd rather listen to 5 Shane Warnes talking about pizza.

Warney's grouse at commentary.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

goatface posted:

Is Mark Nicholas considered good these days purely because of the utter poo poo that surrounds him at Channel 9?

Atherton is the best cricket commentator though he's got that right.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

goatface posted:

This article triggered me.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I'm fine with Mark Nicholas because I enjoy his writing and found him to be the only CWC commentator who commented on how the match was unfolding. When the other analysts weren't discussing Tuna and Mulligans they tended to focus solely on individual players' form and skill set, ignoring how it all fit within the context of the innings.

The one exception to that was the perpetual debate over whether to double the score after the 30th over or the 35th over. Which is just a fascinating bit of insight isn't it.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Good commentators: Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Russell Arnold, Michael Holding (purely because of his voice), Sourav Ganguly, Ian Smith, Ian Chappell

Alright I guess: Michael Slater, David Lloyd, Shaun Pollock, Wasim Akram

Terribad: Sunil Gavaskar, Nick Knight, Ian Botham, Mark Taylor, Mark Nicholas, Ravi Shastri, Pommie Mbangwa, Ian Bishop

Die in a fire: Ian Healy, Shane Warne, Ian Healy and Ian Healy

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

Good commentators: Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Russell Arnold, Michael Holding (purely because of his voice), Sourav Ganguly, Ian Smith, Ian Chappell

Alright I guess: Michael Slater, David Lloyd, Shaun Pollock, Wasim Akram

Terribad: Sunil Gavaskar, Nick Knight, Ian Botham, Mark Taylor, Mark Nicholas, Ravi Shastri, Pommie Mbangwa, Ian Bishop

Die in a fire: Ian Healy, Shane Warne, Ian Healy and Ian Healy

Bish owns, and rigor is also good. Add Doull and Danny Morrison to Die in a fire. MAke a special category for Brian Lara's weiner voice.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ganguly? What?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Michael Slater is awful and should be in the "die in a fire" category

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ya Ganguly is also bad tier.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Love em or hate em: Leigh Hart, Danny Morrison.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

tanglewood1420 posted:

Alright I guess: Michael Slater

Terribad: Ravi Shastri, Pommie Mbangwa, Ian Bishop

Don't troll

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I thought Pieterson was alright on the radio during the world cup

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Mike Hussey and Rahul Dravid. Also Rob Key, Mark Butcher, Ian Ward, Angus Frasier, David Gower, Bob Willis and Dominic Cork.

Bad commentators: anyone that ever played on a team with Steve Waugh and Grahame 'execute their skills' Smith.

Note: I can't tell the difference between any of the NZ people.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Also Boycott writes amusing stuff in the Telegraph and Alistair Cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Boycott's fine as long as he's with someone who isn't scared to contradict him.