Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Rick posted:

Yeah, just the fact that strapless heartrate monitors all seem to be in the $200 range is probably part of how I'd justify the purchase to myself if I decide to go for it. The truth will be I have a gadget-sized hole in my heart but whatever.

Here's one with 4.5 stars for $80.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QSRQ0R6?psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It's bullshit that this thing isn't a neuromancer-esq implant.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Apple EyePhone: What Could Be More Retina Than YOUR Retina!

Retail price: One (1) Eyeball.

Pretty sure I saw a futurama about that.

losermeme
Oct 26, 2014

Using my new apple watch

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

an article posted:

We don’t trust ourselves anymore. The act of exercise is no longer a mind-to-body experience but rather a mind-to-fitness-tracker-device-to-body phenomenon.

Instead of listening to our bodies—when we need a glass of water instead of food, need a nap instead of a coffee, or become suddenly hangry after processing the 42 grams of sugar from a Starbuck’s classic chai tea latte (inducing a severe attack of hypoglycemia)—we turn to our Fitbit, Garmin, Nike Fuel Band, Jawbone or one of the many other fitness trackers, or MyFitnessPal.

Here’s my problem with fitness trackers and food calorie counting apps: They all rely on very limited metrics (steps taken, movement when you sleep, calorie tracking, heart rate monitor in some, and distance traveled with the movement) giving you a very skewed analysis about your health. Your health, however, is not so black and white, just like the colors of your fitness tracker. Two hours on the row machine, like Frank Underwood does, will not cancel out the pizza you ate during your House of Cards binge.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/05/the-dark-side-of-your-fitbit-and-fitness-app.html

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Woah, between this article and the dude who's proclaimed that smart watches are a fad I'm canceling my preorder and the Apple Watch is sure to be a failure!

This article is pretty ridiculous. The great majority of people who use fitness trackers use it as a way of getting additional information on top of listening to their bodies, not instead of listening to their bodies. If I feel like I need a rest day I take one, I don't force myself to push through to please an app or a device. The app or device does provide me with a lot of additional information that is useful and interesting for me in addition to what my body tells me though.

The whole premise of the article is completely flawed.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

"I'm angry that people think they can derive as much personal satisfaction out of fitness without making it the center of their identity like i have!"

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

monkeu posted:

Woah, between this article and the dude who's proclaimed that smart watches are a fad I'm canceling my preorder and the Apple Watch is sure to be a failure!

This article is pretty ridiculous. The great majority of people who use fitness trackers use it as a way of getting additional information on top of listening to their bodies, not instead of listening to their bodies. If I feel like I need a rest day I take one, I don't force myself to push through to please an app or a device. The app or device does provide me with a lot of additional information that is useful and interesting for me in addition to what my body tells me though.

The whole premise of the article is completely flawed.

Yeah he is a bit cunty about the whole thing but I wouldn't say a completely flawed premise. Though I can't speak for your "great majority" I know many people with never used yoga mats and weights and even gym memberships. So yeah, it's a tool not a miracle. I didn't find the fitness part of my Band (which I returned) particularly convincing (though the GPS was quite nice for a couple runs I guess), I was more interested in notifications which it did terribly. "Fitness" is not high on my personal list though ymmv.

Also don't forget calorie counting.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Mr Funkface posted:

Yeah he is a bit cunty about the whole thing but I wouldn't say a completely flawed premise. Though I can't speak for your "great majority" I know many people with never used yoga mats and weights and even gym memberships. So yeah, it's a tool not a miracle. I didn't find the fitness part of my Band (which I returned) particularly convincing (though the GPS was quite nice for a couple runs I guess), I was more interested in notifications which it did terribly. "Fitness" is not high on my personal list though ymmv.

Also don't forget calorie counting.

The type of people who've never been on a yoga mat or to a gym (or exercised in general) weren't listening to their bodies in the first place. So owning a fitness tracker isn't causing some problem by making them stop listening to their bodies. In fact if owning a fitness tracker is the thing that finally starts getting them interested in doing some sort of regular physical activity then I really struggle to see how that's a bad thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I know quite a few fatties that say things like "my watch says I burned 500 calories doing Zumba today so I earned this milkshake!" I think it's hilarious.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I have never seen a fit person use a fitness app. I see a lot of out of shape people who buy them thinking they will magically help them lose weight. Counting your steps and heart beats, big whoop. What do you do with that info? What does that translate to.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
I lost 30 pounds last year( from statistically overweight to statistically healthy) after being "inspired" by Fitbit. It lead me to calorie counting, running, eventually with a hr monitor, to lifting weights. I'm no bodybuilder, and not swole, but the difference in my photos is quite noticeable. The gadgets helped me set goals, and motivated me to continue to beat them. I'd tried running before but seeing more accurate numbers really motivated me to try and improve bit by bit.

That said, I see a lot of people wearing them that aren't being helped. It's a matter of attitude.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Congrats on your weightloss, truly. I personally just don't see how looking at your heart rate after a good work out or during is going to make that change. Calorie counting and stuff is great (if used correctly and kept up with and sustainable)but that's all on the phone side of things, not the watch.

I also feel like I was misconstrued last time I was in here. Sorry if I seemed like I was trolling or whatver. I think smart watches are great. My only complaint is that apple isn't delivering the best stats they could but charging like they are. They could be giving you more for your money but they aren't, they're holding back for v2, etc. And cool, you're ok with that, I just personally think we vote with our $ and if we held out they would have to get past the "we're apple, they'll buy whatver we put out."

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 6, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

I couldn't get much fitter without quitting my job and becoming a professional athlete. I don't think a watch is going to make me dramatically healthier.

I like the idea of participating in research that may benefit mankind in the future though: https://www.apple.com/researchkit/

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 6, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A lifestyle and usability company would be stupid to focus on chasing features rather than making something that could be a clunky dorky warning sign into something that is envied, discrete and accomplishes their goal of reducing interactions to the level of thoughtlessness.

The AppleCar wont do 200mph or go 800 miles to the charge either, same as their mp3 player was not an all-formats wunderkind like the vastly superior and now-dead Cowon players.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

rear end Catchcum posted:

I also feel like I was misconstrued last time I was in here. Sorry if I seemed like I was trolling or whatver. I think smart watches are great. My only complaint is that apple isn't delivering the best stats they could but charging like they are. They could be giving you more for your money but they aren't, they're holding back for v2, etc. And cool, you're ok with that, I just personally think we vote with our $ and if we held out they would have to get past the "we're apple, they'll buy whatver we put out."

You've made your position that Apple is some evil company that's purposely neutering their own products to the benefit of nobody (and not that they're delivering the best that's technologically possible while still maintaining their desired form factors, prices point and profit margins) abundantly clear. Over and over and over again in fact. Unfortunately for you it's pretty clear that a huge number of people disagree with your continually regurgitated belief, as evidenced by the ridiculous amount of success Apple has had over the past decade and the millions upon millions of products that they sell.

It gets to a point where hanging around a thread about a particular product just desperately trying to convince people that they shouldn't buy one because of your personal beliefs is in fact trolling. The fact that you've now moved on to feebly and ineffectually trying to claim that there's no possible point in tracking your fitness isn't really helping your "I'm not trolling" claims either.

monkeu fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 6, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's more that you keep saying this over and over and over while offering no evidence beyond Apple saying they're not opening the APIs yet and "well I think it could be better!"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This whole appointment thing seems like such a pain. I'd just like to try the drat thing on and see if I like it and if I do, which size I would want. The same kind of thing I do with the various other Apple products in the store.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Congrats on your weightloss, truly. I personally just don't see how looking at your heart rate after a good work out or during is going to make that change. Calorie counting and stuff is great (if used correctly and kept up with and sustainable)but that's all on the phone side of things, not the watch.

For a cardio workout the goal is generally to get your heart rate up into a certain range and keep it there. Personally I expect I'll keep using my wireless chest strap heart rate monitor since with a decent amount of cardio gear at the gym it can automatically adjust resistance or elevation to maintain the heart rate (and the Apple Watch isn't likely to support that protocol), but I could see if not using that gear or chest strap being able to see your heart rate during a cardio workout being important. Also tracking the heart rate/calories burned for motivational purposes if nothing else.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

smackfu posted:

This whole appointment thing seems like such a pain. I'd just like to try the drat thing on and see if I like it and if I do, which size I would want. The same kind of thing I do with the various other Apple products in the store.

I'm just not sure what else they could do without having a bunch of watches (main unit or bands) being stolen from the stores everyday. Easy to have a security tether on an iPhone or iPad. Not so easy when you have to have one for the main unit and another two for each side of the bands. Where would you even attach the thing on the unit without covering the screen or making it awkward to try on?

There's really not a good answer so they picked the classic watch buying experience with appointments required so it's not a mob. But agreed, it is a pain.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Maybe the Apple Watch will be different, but I've tried a couple devices with optical HR sensors and I've found them to essentially be random number generators. It was wrong both at rest and during a workout.

If you want to use HR to keep your workout at an appropriate intensity then maybe a chest strap is going to be best for you, regardless.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

monkeu posted:

(and not that they're delivering the best that's technologically possible while still maintaining their desired form factors, prices point and profit margins)

Unfortunately their crazy profit margins have hampered their ability to deliver the latest technology has to offer. There was some pretty crazy battery technology at CES (organic batteries, 2,000 mAh recharge in 3 minutes!), but it would eat up so much money. I understand that they have shareholders to answer to, but so much more could be done if they cut those margins.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Appointments are also there to curb resellers. Which is a good thing

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Karki posted:

Easy to have a security tether on an iPhone or iPad. Not so easy when you have to have one for the main unit and another two for each side of the bands. Where would you even attach the thing on the unit without covering the screen or making it awkward to try on?

Agreed that it's difficult, but the bands don't have to be removable on the display models. And the whole left side is available for some kind of custom security cable to be attached.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

Agreed that it's difficult, but the bands don't have to be removable on the display models. And the whole left side is available for some kind of custom security cable to be attached.
Eh, being tethered to a table isn't really a great experience for figuring out if you'll be comfortable with a thing you'll be wearing all day.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Super Dude posted:

Unfortunately their crazy profit margins have hampered their ability to deliver the latest technology has to offer. There was some pretty crazy battery technology at CES (organic batteries, 2,000 mAh recharge in 3 minutes!), but it would eat up so much money. I understand that they have shareholders to answer to, but so much more could be done if they cut those margins.

There's also the question of timing. Asking for something that was just shown at CES to be manufactured at apple-scale in April is…probably impossible.

edit: even if you were talking about poo poo from CES 2014, considering the level of vaporware for the really neat stuff it's probably the same problem.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Eh, being tethered to a table isn't really a great experience for figuring out if you'll be comfortable with a thing you'll be wearing all day.

True but seeing it while an Apple store employee hovers over you isn't much better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

True but seeing it while an Apple store employee hovers over you isn't much better.
It actually is much better since you won't have a table pulling at your wrist and making its fit all weird. It's not *ideal*, I agree, but I would much rather have an Apple employee hover over me than be attached to a table.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

Except it is.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Not really. My biggest complaint about Apple stores are that the employees won't leave me alone. I understand a few of them asking if I need help with something, but it's usually every few minutes, usually the same couple of people.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Why not just have dummy units out on the floor to test weight and feel and if you want to get into the actual usage of apps and whatever you can make an appointment?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Goon's hating social interaction, imagine that. Any idea when we'll start seeing reviews pop up from various news media?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Bottom Liner posted:

Goon's hating social interaction, imagine that.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

MrBond posted:

There's also the question of timing. Asking for something that was just shown at CES to be manufactured at apple-scale in April is…probably impossible.

edit: even if you were talking about poo poo from CES 2014, considering the level of vaporware for the really neat stuff it's probably the same problem.

I agree, more of an issue of scalability than margins. If margins were the only issue, every other company who doesn't care as much about margins (Amazon, Google) would be producing vastly better products at the same prices. (They aren't. Latest Android phones are roughly even with iPhones in terms of performance/capabilities. Please don't turn this into an iPhone vs Android debate).

Most recently this bit them in rear end on sapphire screens. Couldn't get enough to make iPhone screens, tried to scale up by pumping money into a small producer, still couldn't make it happen. Organic batteries aren't going to go from 1 tech demo to 100mil a year very soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Why not just have dummy units out on the floor to test weight and feel and if you want to get into the actual usage of apps and whatever you can make an appointment?
This is a good idea, and one I'd be surprised they didn't consider, but I imagine the thought process is that it would leave them as the only non-working devices in the store, which is probably *not* what they want for their newest, latest item - especially one that people don't necessarily know what they'd do with.

Karki posted:

Most recently this bit them in rear end on sapphire screens. Couldn't get enough to make iPhone screens, tried to scale up by pumping money into a small producer, still couldn't make it happen. Organic batteries aren't going to go from 1 tech demo to 100mil a year very soon.
Yeah, they actually built factories for Samsung to produce flash memory for them way back when flash storage was still becoming a thing.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

Goon's hating social interaction, imagine that. Any idea when we'll start seeing reviews pop up from various news media?
Probably not until days before release (so the ~21st).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Super Dude posted:

Not really. My biggest complaint about Apple stores are that the employees won't leave me alone. I understand a few of them asking if I need help with something, but it's usually every few minutes, usually the same couple of people.

I have the opposite experience at Apple stores. All the blue shirts are always busy helping customers that it was almost impossible to find somebody to check me out. The new Apple Store app to self pay for purchases was a great feature to help alleviate that problem.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Endless Mike posted:

This is a good idea, and one I'd be surprised they didn't consider, but I imagine the thought process is that it would leave them as the only non-working devices in the store, which is probably *not* what they want for their newest, latest item - especially one that people don't necessarily know what they'd do with.

Yeah I thought about that as soon as I posted. A dummy watch might not give the best first impression. Especially how lovely dummy items look when you see them at cell store kiosks or best buy or whatever. Granted I know Apple would give them a lot more love, but still probably not worth it from a customer AND business point of view.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

gret posted:

I have the opposite experience at Apple stores. All the blue shirts are always busy helping customers that it was almost impossible to find somebody to check me out. The new Apple Store app to self pay for purchases was a great feature to help alleviate that problem.
It's cool/weird just picking something up off the shelf and walking out of the store with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it depends on the store. Of the three I've been to in my area (of, like, six?), two have a lot of foot traffic (one being in a huge mall and the other in Georgetown) while the third doesn't get quite as much. The third is generally easiest to get someone to help at. I've never really felt like I'm being bothered too much at any of them, though.

• Locked thread