Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Teonis posted:

In summary: Who cares! This is the internet!

This is the correct stance on the issue, yes. I mean, I'm not gonna support the guy and I'd appreciate if other people didn't either, but I can't stop you.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Look guys, just buy the thing and give this guy money! It's the internet, nothing is real! We all live in a land of ghosts and fog so get every playbook possible!

You I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Look guys, just buy the thing and give this guy money! It's the internet, nothing is real! We all live in a land of ghosts and fog so get every playbook possible!

And get them for free!

:filez:

No, not really...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Brb writing an adventure seed for a land of ghosts and fog.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Teonis posted:

Ps, Error, if Rory reachest level 10, I'm going to canger class to oni to reflect his godhood.

Oh really...?

Actually, yeah, its actually a pretty good balance between the miriad powers of a god and hitting things really hard. Even if I hate the design of the character sheet. I can't deny its a pretty sweet playbook.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
My biggest complaint about the Oni Playbook is the title font is awful. Barely legible at all!

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Error 404 posted:

It's not even that, dude's a pretty vocal gamergater and generally a raging shitlord. Other than promoing his stuff he pretty much only rants about the evil sjws. It's why he gets zero of my dollars.
His twitter: https://twitter.com/antiochcow?s=09

I thought you were exaggerating and it'd be a post here or there but holy poo poo that guy is scarily obsessed and/or an actual insane person.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Error 404 posted:

It's not even that, dude's a pretty vocal gamergater and generally a raging shitlord. Other than promoing his stuff he pretty much only rants about the evil sjws. It's why he gets zero of my dollars.

Wow. That's pretty illuminating.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Error 404 posted:

welcome to a world called logaf

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Supreme Court posted:

Wow. That's pretty illuminating.

i clicked that link and apparently i already have him blocked so shruggot

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I saw someone asking about the pariah and honestly after doing the revised playbooks I started school again for physical therapy so I probably won't be doing anymore/any updates. Go hog wild with 'em if you want.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Error 404 posted:

Why oh why did I click that link. :smith:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I am depressed to see this hellthread type stuff in the dungeon world thread, I don't want to read this poo poo. :mad:

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
MFW I brought up Antiochcow regarding a playbook and the conversation turned into GG and JSWs

I had no idea what half this poo poo was. I don't use the internet to advance my agenda online with fake friends on Social Media, so I was not really aware of what was going on.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Teonis posted:

MFW I brought up Antiochcow regarding a playbook and the conversation turned into GG and JSWs

I had no idea what half this poo poo was. I don't use the internet to advance my agenda online with fake friends on Social Media, so I was not really aware of what was going on.

Oh go gently caress yourself.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Teonis posted:

the conversation turned into GG and JSWs

I had no idea what half this poo poo was.

Good Game! Just Shower With Water next time please.

Decoded it for you. You should learn what your friends have to say if you'd like to keep playing with them.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
When I get online, I am either here, or on another RP site, or just doing work. I don't get political, I don't try to make waves. To clarify above, Maltose, I'm referring to Guyll, or anyone else who does this, pushing his ideals onto others and engaging in internet hazing to deny access or service to other individuals. I apologize that my above comment was likely pretentious of me.

Cheap Shot; I don't know what side of the digital fence is what. I tried to read up on GG and I still can't tell what they do or don't stand for. Trade Games is the only part of SA I use for good reason. I keep the drama far from my house, I've got enough going on IRL to be adding anonymous ragers to my list of poo poo.

I came to play, and I thought the Oni was cool. I'm sorry the guy who wrote it disagrees with other people's opinions or is an rear end. If you want to know my stance, its this: Treat other people like decent human beings and generally don't be a piece of poo poo. Another person's life is not effecting your own, so stay out of there business unless you plan on helping them improve their quality of life. Being offended by the way someone else lives is like being offended because someone else is eating a donut while you are on a diet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Actually not giving money to total shitlords is pretty cool. "But he made a cool thing for a game!" Who cares, gently caress him.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I didn't mean to make this a thing, I just wanted to give a heads up about that dude. I'm sorry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Actually not giving money to total shitlords is pretty cool. "But he made a cool thing for a game!" Who cares, gently caress him.

Or, to put it another way, there's nothing you can get from people like that you couldn't get from other people who aren't unrepentant shitlords.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Error 404 posted:

I didn't mean to make this a thing, I just wanted to give a heads up about that dude. I'm sorry.

Heads up very well received. I didn't know he talked like this before hand.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
P.S.

Teonis posted:

I came to play, and I thought the Oni was cool. I'm sorry the guy who wrote it disagrees with other people's opinions or is an rear end. If you want to know my stance, its this: Treat other people like decent human beings and generally don't be a piece of poo poo. Another person's life is not effecting your own, so stay out of there business unless you plan on helping them improve their quality of life. Being offended by the way someone else lives is like being offended because someone else is eating a donut while you are on a diet.

Maybe you should tell all this to your friend then because boy howdy does this seem like advice he could use.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Or, to put it another way, there's nothing you can get from people like that you couldn't get from other people who aren't unrepentant shitlords.

What about legally buying the Oni playbook for Dungeon World. :colbert:

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
I'm still trying to figure this thing out... I think my problem with twitter is I think every single post is being sarcastic so I have no clue what they are actually saying.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Teonis posted:

I'm still trying to figure this thing out... I think my problem with twitter is I think every single post is being sarcastic so I have no clue what they are actually saying.

I wouldn't bother. Idiots* on both sides have been arguing about this stuff on twitter over this for what feels like the past year, and it'd be a profound waste of time to delve into this. Just play and read about RPGs and poo poo.

*Proof: They've been arguing nonstop via 140-character limited Twitter, of all things, for this long. Make a drat blog you darn kids. :argh:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

CuddlyZombie posted:

Make a drat blog you darn kids. :argh:

Pssh, yeah, ok grandpa.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Pssh, yeah, ok grandpa.

I feel like a grandpa reading twitter, @this and #that. I write in whole sentences, sorry character limit

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I was thinking about making a playbook based on like the quake or doom protagonist, called Timelost Warrior or Slipgate Traveller, where their gear is kind of lost dimensionally and returns to them gradually over time. I figured it'd be like a gadgeteer type class, but more action-based and with some dimensional weirdness based abilities.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I was thinking about making a playbook based on like the quake or doom protagonist, called Timelost Warrior or Slipgate Traveller, where their gear is kind of lost dimensionally and returns to them gradually over time. I figured it'd be like a gadgeteer type class, but more action-based and with some dimensional weirdness based abilities.

I like the sound of this. Could work for a lot of different video game characters where they get items over time. Could work for Link as well.

Also... WTF, Gamergate is still something people talk about?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Error 404 posted:

What's that? a way to make locations that behave like NPCs and have a distinct death motif?

The Land of Ghosts and Fog

Planar, Hostile, Unstable, Ethereal, Isolated, Cursed, Hazy, Afterlife.

Instinct: To obscure the way and lose them in shifting mists.

Connections:
Specific Gateways to the Living or Afterlives.
It is home to lost ghosts and wandering spirits.

Those that find them in the shifting mists of the LOGAF have little to hope for. The ground under your feet is uneven and shifts unsteadily, but the thick mist boils up so thickly you can never see what you're stepping on. If you reach down to touch the ground, or are barefoot, each person feel something different. It may be dry, shifting sand, or a stinking muddy bog, or soft, freshly tilled loam, or thick grass, or slick, stinking feces.

Any attempt to move through the mists quickly disorient, due to there being little in the way of landmarks. Travelers may rarely come across something old and broken in the claustrophobic featureless void; a dead tree, a broken down old hut, a stranded rowboat, the bones of a large dead animal.

Occasionally, travelers may encounter the spectral inhabitants of the LOGAF, wandering spirits that aimlessly traverse the mists, either individually or in packs. These lost souls may attack or try to talk to the living, hoping to ride them back to the living world.

Location Moves:
Separate them in the Fog
Disorient them with muffled sounds
Present them with a strange sight of decrepit ruins
Harass them with wandering spirits.

madadric fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 6, 2015

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

RSIxidor posted:

I like the sound of this. Could work for a lot of different video game characters where they get items over time. Could work for Link as well.

Also... WTF, Gamergate is still something people talk about?

Yeah I was thinking that maybe instead of having races you could have what sort of world you were originally from, say far future, modern day or parallel fantasy, and that'd determine your item list. Maybe with an advanced move to let you swap one of your items for one from a different list, so link can accidentally get a shotgun.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yeah I was thinking that maybe instead of having races you could have what sort of world you were originally from, say far future, modern day or parallel fantasy, and that'd determine your item list. Maybe with an advanced move to let you swap one of your items for one from a different list, so link can accidentally get a shotgun.

Imo, do time shifted (from futuristic time), slider (parallel universe), plane shifted (alternate dimension/plane).

It'd definitely be your background regardless and likely affect what sort of special tags your gear gets with advanced moves to access other tags.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Is there a good guide to creating new classes anywhere? I'm finding it difficult structuring and balancing my ideas.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's probably a few but what I do is just take a look at basically every other class fitting the theme you're looking for (also look outside the theme and play around with their ideas too!) and start swiping stuff you like. Play with wording to change how it interacts with fiction, swap some moves around, play with your failure categories, all that. Everything is going to be pretty slap-dash no matter what you do until you really start playtesting the class, but having some data that's already established to work pretty well makes a good leaping point.

Here, feel free to use whatever you want from this playbook I made back when I was working actively on my sci-fi hack.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

There's probably a few but what I do is just take a look at basically every other class fitting the theme you're looking for (also look outside the theme and play around with their ideas too!) and start swiping stuff you like. Play with wording to change how it interacts with fiction, swap some moves around, play with your failure categories, all that. Everything is going to be pretty slap-dash no matter what you do until you really start playtesting the class, but having some data that's already established to work pretty well makes a good leaping point.

Here, feel free to use whatever you want from this playbook I made back when I was working actively on my sci-fi hack.

Awesome, thanks!

I'm having trouble deciding on the mechanics of the weapons. Obviously a link style guy is gonna have more swords than guns, which kind of makes me feel they need a whole different balancing mechanic. I was gonna go with daily recharging ammo for the guns, so they'd be powerful but limited, and the concept of ammo respawning after a while goes with the whole FPS theme. I'd probably flavour it like since you're dimensionally displaced, other dimensionally displaced stuff is drawn to you like a lightning rod, and so ammo and stuff just turns up in your possession.

But obviously that doesn't really make sense for swords. Outside of final fantasy they don't usually need ammo.

While I was looking through stuff, I came with an idea for a horror movie Slasher based playbook. It'd be a melee dude with fear and bad luck based abilities, and a choice between a tankier STR+CON monster slasher, ala Jason, or a STR+CHA more human killer, like Patrick Bateman.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Awesome, thanks!

I'm having trouble deciding on the mechanics of the weapons. Obviously a link style guy is gonna have more swords than guns, which kind of makes me feel they need a whole different balancing mechanic. I was gonna go with daily recharging ammo for the guns, so they'd be powerful but limited, and the concept of ammo respawning after a while goes with the whole FPS theme. I'd probably flavour it like since you're dimensionally displaced, other dimensionally displaced stuff is drawn to you like a lightning rod, and so ammo and stuff just turns up in your possession.

But obviously that doesn't really make sense for swords. Outside of final fantasy they don't usually need ammo.

Magic energy that recovers

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Magic energy that recovers

That's a good idea, thanks!

I wrote this move for the slasher, I'm looking for feedback on it, balance wise. I can't decide if it's too good, or if the -2 penalty is too harsh.

quote:

Sometimes They Come Back (Again)

Every good slasher movie has a sequel. When you die, you rise again after an hour or so. On hitting 0 hitpoints, roll +CON *On a 10+, your hit points are set to one-half your maximum *On a
7-9, your hit points are set to 1d8 *On a miss your hit points are set to 1d8, but it takes a longer, GM determined amount of time for you to return to life, and there may be complications.

In any case, you take -2 ongoing until you kill the thing that killed you, or a number of other living beings equal to your level.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Is there a good guide to creating new classes anywhere? I'm finding it difficult structuring and balancing my ideas.

I've made a few classes and am making my own PBTA game, so I can talk about the process I use. Other PBTA veterans like Gnome, Supreme Court, and LemonCurdistan may also be able to give you some great advice.

I usually start with the core concept, and look at fiction that embodies that kind of archetype.

For the sort of character you're talking about, I see two big fictional hooks. The origin of where they came from, and the progression as they find bits of their equipment. These concept start with a cipher, a blank slate that gains more context as they travel on.

Consider combining the two, as the character finds more of their lost gear that gives them new abilities, they also gain more insight into their past, where they came from and who they were. This gives them a more interesting fictional hook than "I got a grapple gun" or "I got a missile launcher". Another thing to consider is that a lot of these games introduce new abilities and way to enter new areas or move differently. Think of the metroid games as an example. Many of the abilities the character gains is about reaching places they couldn't before. Growing stronger becomes about this broadening of skill and not just getting bigger guns.

A big question for this class is working out how you organically work the character's gear into the setting and what this gear scattered about the world implies. Do they just get the new gear when they level up? do they have to find the gear in the world first? Do they have a way to introduce he gear into the world? What happens if an enemy is using the gear?

I can imagine a core move that lets the player say that an enemy has a piece of their gear, and what it does, giving the enemy that ability, but allowing the PC to claim it after they defeat the enemy. "That goblin is using my ice-beam!"

Once you have your core concepts, think of the types of things these characters do fictionally. Write triggers for the moves that describe how those kinds of fictional actions start off.

From here, I usually consider if there's going to be a core mechanic, gimmick, or economy for the class and play with the concept, seeing which triggers will feed into it. From here I'll start fleshing out the moves. Moves can reference other moves and mechanics, but try to have them reference the fiction directly in their triggers and consequences as much as possible. This is the hardest balance to strike, and is what takes the most practice to do. Once I have the basics, it's an iterative process, rewriting moves to make them more balanced and focused.

quote:

Sometimes They Come Back (Again)

Every good slasher movie has a sequel. When you die, you rise again after an hour or so. On hitting 0 hitpoints, roll +CON *On a 10+, your hit points are set to one-half your maximum *On a
7-9, your hit points are set to 1d8 *On a miss your hit points are set to 1d8, but it takes a longer, GM determined amount of time for you to return to life, and there may be complications.

In any case, you take -2 ongoing until you kill the thing that killed you, or a number of other living beings equal to your level.

Hmm, I'd make it more simple.

Sequelitis
Who can resist a sequel to a successful scary story? When you die, and fail your Last Breath roll, roll+Con

On a 10+, you find a way to slip Death's bonds to spread your terror again., choose 1. On a 7-9, you struggle and claw your way free, but it costs you dearly, choose 2.

-You lose a part of yourself. Mark a condition. You can never be cured of that condition.
-This is your last chance, cross of this move. You can never use it again.
-You gain a weakness to something common or mundane.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

madadric posted:

Sequelitis
Who can resist a sequel to a successful scary story? When you die, and fail your Last Breath roll, roll+Con

On a 10+, you find a way to slip Death's bonds to spread your terror again., choose 1. On a 7-9, you struggle and claw your way free, but it costs you dearly, choose 2.

-You lose a part of yourself. Mark a condition. You can never be cured of that condition.

I agree entirely with your advice, with a couple notes on this move:

1. It's not a great idea to have a roll require another roll. So instead of triggering on a failed Last Breath, I would make this take the place of Last Breath, further distinguishing this character from others "you may or may not die, I just keep coming."

2. This is more a matter of personal taste and opinion, but choosing 2 on a 7-9 feels a bit harsh to me. I'd drop it to 'choose 1' and have you choose 2 on a 6-.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

madadric posted:

Hmm, I'd make it more simple.

Sequelitis

Thanks for all the great advice on the equipment guy class, I'm about to leave the house atm so I don't have time right now to write up a proper response, but I definitely want to work on some of those ideas with what you suggested.

With the slasher move, I agree it needs to be simplified a bit, and I've been working on a few ideas, but I don't know how I feel about making it in some way permanently weaken the character. I looked over a bunch of other classes with similar moves, mostly undead sorts of classes, and they don't tend to weaken the character irreversibly.

Since coming back to life for ridiculous reasons is kind of a key slasher trope, I'm erring more on the side of time or resource based inconvenience to bring them back to life, rather than a statistical weakness. Jason's been back like 15 times now, he's been burned, dismembered, exploded, turned into a child again by sewer goo (???) but he always comes back later as tough as he always was.

I was thinking of rewriting it with a modifier based on how you were killed (arrows to the chest probably won't slow you down much, but being burned and having your ashes scattered will) and with the fail condition basically being that your friends/people who kill stuff with you/mischievous teens in a haunted house have to perform some kind of ritual to bring you back.

I should probably share the rest of the class, there's other balancing factors I've been trying to work into it to make it not just ridiculously overpowered. At the moment it's basically slashers are great at killing, but lovely at not making people run in terror from them all the time. Or if you want to be a more human slasher, you lose out on a lot of the toughness based powers.

edit: screw it, here it is in all its WIP glory - The Slasher

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
A friend of mine has challenged me to run a few fantasy demos, and the first game on the list is Dungeon World. I'm a little nervous because while I have read a few PBTA games, this is the first time one is going to hit the table.

The OP looks like it will help a lot, but it's fairly old so I was wondering if anyone could touch on significant things that have happened to the game since then. Any other tips or ideas welcome as well. Thanks in advance!