Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Man computer vassals are stupid as gently caress. In my Byzantium game I took Rome and one of the other counties after fabricating claims, figuring I'd have a de jute claim on the third county in the duchy. So I gave the duchy of Rome to my son and he immediately declared war on the Papacy. The pope is rich as hell and hired about 12k mercenary troops, while my son the King of Croatia kept sending armies of 4k dudes to get annihilated. If he'd consolidated his forces he'd have easily won. Smdh. He has a high martial skill too and the computer tends to consolidate when I fight them so I dunno wtf.

Also I've held Rome for a couple of years and there still isn't a patriarch of Rome showing up on the religion screen. Is that because I gave Rome to a vassal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Just accept the call to war and then don't bother to intervene. Problem solved.

Unless he wants to do something that requires you to be at peace.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Man computer vassals are stupid as gently caress. In my Byzantium game I took Rome and one of the other counties after fabricating claims, figuring I'd have a de jute claim on the third county in the duchy. So I gave the duchy of Rome to my son and he immediately declared war on the Papacy. The pope is rich as hell and hired about 12k mercenary troops, while my son the King of Croatia kept sending armies of 4k dudes to get annihilated. If he'd consolidated his forces he'd have easily won. Smdh. He has a high martial skill too and the computer tends to consolidate when I fight them so I dunno wtf.

Also I've held Rome for a couple of years and there still isn't a patriarch of Rome showing up on the religion screen. Is that because I gave Rome to a vassal?

Do you hold the Bishopric of Rome, or did it stay under the Pope in some weird shenanigans? That's the title in question. Is it held by an Orthodox character? When you took it via fabricated claims it won't have kicked out the pre-existing bishop, so unless you asked him to convert he may well still be Catholic, thus won't be an Orthodox patriach.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hadaka Apron posted:

I caught the white stag.

I CAUGHT THE WHITE STAG!

I didnt even knew that was possible.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Allyn posted:

Do you hold the Bishopric of Rome, or did it stay under the Pope in some weird shenanigans? That's the title in question. Is it held by an Orthodox character? When you took it via fabricated claims it won't have kicked out the pre-existing bishop, so unless you asked him to convert he may well still be Catholic, thus won't be an Orthodox patriach.

Okay that's probably it. Since I have it off to a vassal I guess I can't revoke the title but I've got my Ecclesiarch there to proselytize so it should happen eventually.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Elias_Maluco posted:

I didnt even knew that was possible.

The best is when you catch the white tiger. I finally managed to do it in my Persian empire attempt, right before I got jihaded all the way back to a single duchy.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Okay that's probably it. Since I have it off to a vassal I guess I can't revoke the title but I've got my Ecclesiarch there to proselytize so it should happen eventually.

Yeah. When he dies a random new character will spawn to take over, obviously, but I believe it's random which religion he'll have -- not sure how specifically but either predecessor's religion or province's religion is taken to account, vs their liege's religion. You can certainly stab enough people that you'll eventually get an Orthodox bishop, anyway.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Hadaka Apron posted:

I caught the white stag.

I CAUGHT THE WHITE STAG!

I also got the demon spawn event with the same ruler, and I decided to execute my demon daughter after she gave her older brother a stroke and killed her sister.

What happens when you catch it?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

This saved my dynasty on my Ireland game. The King of Norge wanted my only duchy, Mide, and could easily have annihilated me if he didn't keep sending his many troops over in groups of less than a thousand. Of course, once he'd really worn me down and a group of 4,000 Norwegian troops landed in Ireland, he happily accepted White Peace.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is cool and good.

Please make it so that instead of just being Russians the Ibbenese are actually really hairy motherfuckers. This shouldn't be much more complicated than making it so they only have access to huge beards and long hair and can't be clean shaven.

Well I'm not too sure how to do that as it would actually require editing one of those image files. Not sure what program you use to do it, but it's not GIMP even with the right plugin.
But have some Khaleesi and the only challenging thing I did, the Dothraki. The custom beards and hair don't align with the Turkish mouth and head so you have to offset manually.

If you look close you can see his braid clip into his shoulder.

Hizdhar moz Gaznazazzzazazazaqszaz Reznakh or whatever the gently caress

Some dude who can't close his mouth because he doesn't know anything.

Yarr, a Cthulhu Viking:

And this dude who's no longer playable!

Rethinking using the Irish for the Northerners. Might just make all Firstmen derivatives Norse and use the Irish for something else.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I have a dumb question that's probably me not looking at the game right (or telling me I need to get caught up on DLCs) but when I go looking for a province to start in, southern India just doesn't appear to be displaying right. Chera Raj was pretty noticeably missing a province or two. Also if you choose the 1337 bookmark, the leader of Sri Lanka has been dead since 901. Not sure what that's supposed to mean. I have DLCs up to Rajas (been meaning to pick up Charlemagne and Way of Life) and I'm not running any mods so I'm not sure what I'm seeing. Apologies if I missed it in the last few pages, but is anyone else seeing a messed up India?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Schizotek posted:

Rethinking using the Irish for the Northerners. Might just make all Firstmen derivatives Norse and use the Irish for something else.

Crannogmen. People always say that CK2 Gaelics look like Hobbits, well, the Crannogmen basically ARE hobbits.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How the heck are you supposed to beat prepared invasions?? I can call up 4.5k hard medieval guys in a heartbeat but these barbarians are gathering 10k adventurers or whatever and even feudal vs tribal and defending across a strait i got owned. I could get maybe another 2000k or so in mercs but i doubt that would be enough.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Darth Windu posted:

How the heck are you supposed to beat prepared invasions?? I can call up 4.5k hard medieval guys in a heartbeat but these barbarians are gathering 10k adventurers or whatever and even feudal vs tribal and defending across a strait i got owned. I could get maybe another 2000k or so in mercs but i doubt that would be enough.

Mercs could make all the difference, but it sounds like what you really need is an alliance or two.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I've just had a stretch of insanely bad luck. A few years after I took Rome for Byzantium, the HRE, with whom I had like 3 marriage alliances, declares war to take Rome. I muster all my troops and send about 40k to Rome to defend. That fucker swoops in with about 55k and shreds me. I try to surrender but he doesn't accept until he's whittled my entire levy and retinues down to about 4k.

Because of this, the independence faction in Byzantium is up to about 250% strength and decides this is as good a time as any to secede. If it was crown authority, I'd have probably caved, but I'll be damned if I let these punks leave the Empire. But I'm too weak to face them in open combat. So I gather all my troops in the one revolting county in Italy and start a siege. The bulk of the revolt is in Greece and western Turkey, so I let them roam around a while and temporarily dismiss my fleet and start saving up money to hire mercenaries. I manage to hire enough to crush their armies and I start a lengthy siege and end the rebellion.

At some point during all this, my only son, a capable diplomat and general, was murdered by my daughter. His heir is a total shitheel, no skills above 8. So of course I pass away at age 60 and my shitheel grandson takes over. Fabricated claim on Jerusalem gone. After a couple of years, I notice that the HRE is in the middle of fighting a four way civil war and his levies are down to about 6k. My grandmother has a claim to his throne and my levies have regenerated up to around 20k. I marry the Queen of Rus so that any sons I may have will inherit that kingdom and then I press my grandmother's claim. I easily force the Kaiser's armies out of Italy and start laying siege in a couple of counties. Time passes. I repel all attacks, but my total troops are down to about 15k. At this point, I see a holy roman army of just under 14k headed my way. I don't know how, but it's there. I think I'll probably win the fight, but for good measure I hire about 6k mercs and consolidate and attack on a farmlands so no defensive bonus. All my generals in this army have martial skill around 20. If I win this battle my war score probably hits 90% and some mopping up would win me the entire Holy Roman Empire. And I loving lose. To add insult to injury, my emperor receives a crippling blow to the head and becomes a vegetable for a couple of years before dying, having not produced a son to inherit Rus. And I lose again and again. I'm forced to make a white peace and my brother has taken the throne.

My army is weak, the Ilkhanate and Golden Horde are looming in the east. And now the Fatimids have declared a holy war for Alexandria. Cool.

tl;dr one surprise war from the HRE can gently caress you for a very very long time.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Nuclear War posted:

What happens when you catch it?

You get 200 prestige, IIRC.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

I did a prepared invasion of Pictland and no-one turned up.
I still rolled them over, but c'mon, you Viking chickenshits. At least make a loving effort.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I've only done a prepared invasion once. I called it in the year 807 I think, and after a year and a half I had accumulated 7500 troops and over 100 galleys. Between those guys, my personal levies and my tribal vassals, we must have descended on Frisia with like at least 15,000 vikings, it was amazing. I've never kicked a Karling's rear end so hard.

Maybe the amount of adventurers who turn up depends on how rich and plunderful the target is? Cause that would certainly make Frisia a more alluring target than tribal pictland...

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
It depends on the max levy of your target for sure, and I'm pretty sure the difference between yours and your target's. So if you can already call up an overwhelming force you don't get as many dudes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

*snip lots of Alfred P getting his rear end kicked*

That is ye olde X-Com, baby!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Could someone give me some tips to just starting out? I read the read before you play wiki entry, but it's sparse. I havent played a game like this before, but reading stories in the pyf things in games thread convinced me. Ill take anything to do with general game mechanics, any AI poo poo to watch out for, whatever. Also which dlcs are worth it? The viking one looks fun

Btw I was told ireland is a good place to start your first time and to try to unify it

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Could someone give me some tips to just starting out? I read the read before you play wiki entry, but it's sparse. I havent played a game like this before, but reading stories in the pyf things in games thread convinced me. Ill take anything to do with general game mechanics, any AI poo poo to watch out for, whatever. Also which dlcs are worth it? The viking one looks fun

Btw I was told ireland is a good place to start your first time and to try to unify it

Someone with way more knowledge of this can correct me if I'm wrong but I think starting in Ireland these days is a good way to experience the game at a very slow pace. In the early years it remains very stable for a very long time so you can slowly kind of build up and move at your own leisure. The game will suggest one of the Spanish kingdoms for first time players because it starts you off in a good spot and gives you access to a lot of base mechanics that you'll use in future games -- technology points, armies, and holy wars for the Muslims in the south. Plus, I think in the 1066 start there are like 4 Spanish kingdoms and they're all owned by brothers of the same dynasty so with a little bit of trickery there's the opportunity to amass them all for yourself.

I am very bad at this game and I marvel at seeing some of these LPs where people's kingdoms expand overnight since mine tend to grow incredibly slowly. As a terrible player, my best advice is to just dive in and roll with whatever the game throws at you. Lose a war, assassinate your liege, start a heresy, just pretty much do anything and as long as you have one person alive with a county title in your family left the game will keep chugging on. That's the thing I always fail to keep in mind. If you form the kingdom of Ireland and the peasants revolt or England wants to take a bite out it, and at the end you wind up as a vassal of Norway with just one county to your name, as long as it's your family controlling it the game will keep on keepin' on and you'll have the opportunity to breed yourself back into power.

I also don't have the latest two DLCs (Charlemagne and Way of Life) but all of them up to this point have been completely worth it. I hear Charlemagne and WoL are also pretty great. And you're right, The Old Gods is some of the best fun you can have if you like being a murderous viking prick.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Waroduce posted:

It's true. Just start playing. Pick a duchy in Ireland and aim to unify it. Every time you want to figure out how to do something, google it. Start with looking up "Casus Belli".

Just jumping in is how I learned to play the game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
New patch released, 2.3.4:

quote:

MAJOR:
- Fixed CTD issue caused by character flags not being saved properly

MINOR:
- Now unborn children of dead popes no longer inherit a claim on the papacy when they are born.
- You no longer feel bad for having a romantic relationship with your spouse.
- Added console command 'add_lover'
- Fixed a problem with delayed events having the exact same random seed as the firing scope
- Seduction Focus: AI will not try to seduce targets that already have lovers (unless lustful, etc)
- Seduction Focus: AI seducers less likely to acquire multiple lovers
- Seduction Focus: Married women and concubines are less likely to fall for seduction if they like their husband better than the seducer (unless lustful, arbitrary, etc.)
- Seduction Focus: Toned down AI seduction attempts of player spouses and concubines even more
- Seduction Focus: It takes much longer to attempt seduction of distant targets
- Seduction Focus: More personality checks for married women and consorts
- Seduction Focus: Added missing "Seduction in the Wild" event (WoL.431)
- Intrigue Focus: Spying on an adulterer (your spouse, consort or the other party) can now uncover the affair
- Players can no longer see other lovers of their spouses and concubines in the interface without using the 'charinfo' console command
- Hunting Focus: Fixed a bug with duplicate events fired (from WoL.5066)
- Fixed bug where only the last character was visible in the end game list of played characters
- Fixed bug where the AI did not always build buildings.
- Fixed an issue with the trade route chain that could create the trade route for the other party instead.
- Toned down courtier lover creation event (456)
- Seduction events: Fixed some issues where execution would break incorrectly
- Fixed the broken 'remove_claim' effect when used in CB's like depose anti-pope.
- Added events to attain the Strategist trait through War focus.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

- You no longer feel bad for having a romantic relationship with your spouse.

lol paradox

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Yeah that confused me a bit. You're having a love affair... with your spouse, and later, you get the option to break it off because "seeing someone else behind my spouse's back is bad blah blah"

Are you putting a mask on your wife/hubby and pretending they're the pope or something?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

quote:

- Now unborn children of dead popes no longer inherit a claim on the papacy when they are born.

:allears:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just started a weird game. Played as Sigurd Ring in Sweden from Charlemange start. Denmark immediately took over most of Norway and Finland, while I was gobbling up Sweden. I used my Pagan CB to subjugate the Kingdom of Denmark, and when I won all I had was the title of King of Denmark, but only the counties in Norway and Finland. The old King of Denmark is now the Jarl of Denmark, and isn't my vassal. I thought that was weird enough, and then I noticed Saxony. They have control of a good part of Brittany, as well as chunks of northern Francia, Poland and a bunch of places South of Finland. 60 or so years in, and they're still holding on, despite being at war with basically everyone Slavic, and the Franks.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Did they fix the problem with some of the events not working (because of non-breaking spaces or something)?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Waroduce posted:

You should also note that Ireland was much easier a few patches ago. You could form and usurp duchies with just 50% of the lands. That meant you could fabricate a claim on a county in a two province duchy, conquer the county, usurp/form the duchy and use you de jure casus belli to conquer the other couty in the duchy. That made it very easy to get enough provinces to form Ireland, which gave you CBs to get the rest of the Ireland and left you in a strong starting position. Since they change the requirements to form and usurp titles to have at least 51% of the provinces, Ireland became a much slower start.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What the gently caress is a Paradox account and why do I have to do it to read the forums again?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

nekoxid posted:

Did they fix the problem with some of the events not working (because of non-breaking spaces or something)?

They did not.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

SelenicMartian posted:

What the gently caress is a Paradox account and why do I have to do it to read the forums again?

basically their DRM, the way it works out is if you don't have a key you don't get access to mods or tech support.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kilonum posted:

basically their DRM, the way it works out is if you don't have a key you don't get access to mods or tech support.
But that's exactly the way the old forum worked. Now I have to re-register for some reason.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

SelenicMartian posted:

But that's exactly the way the old forum worked. Now I have to re-register for some reason.

After you do that, it lets you merge accounts. Confused me for a bit too.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

They did not.

Oh. I guess I'll grab the goon made fix then.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just started playing this game a couple months ago and I think I have a firm grasp on it after running an Ireland kingdom for a bit and mass pillaging Scandanavia in the Old Gods DLC. I'm just worried I'm not playing the game correctly. Like here are some questions if anyone can help me out:

- I spend a lot of time on 3x just waiting for events to happen. Should I be doing other stuff at this time?

- Most of my intrigue is assassinating nearby rulers who have good martial scores. Should I be focusing on inter-realm stuff more, like killing pesky vassals and rival siblings?

- I invite a lot of courtiers to my court to try to land high scoring guys for my council. Should I be doing marriages instead to lure people? I also can't figure this out as I buy debutantes to try to lure good courtiers to my court, but they just end up moving to the other guys court and the guy never wants to come over, even at high influence scores.

- Everyone in my family always wants a fief to govern but they always end up fighting my heirs for control of the kingdom, or just plain revolt every chance they get. Should I just ignore their requests and give all the extra demense to my heir like I do now?

- Why do my promising betrothals and marriages always end up with the girl dying of pneumonia or having the most gormy face imaginable when they come of age?

- Does fulfilling wishes do more than just increase how much your courtiers like you? I could swear I saw one of them have their diplomacy go up after I fulfilled their request for a marriage.

- Is there a guide anywhere that describes how people inherit? I had my daughter married off to the second oldest son of the King of Lotharingia with a matrilineal marriage. I killed the older son and it showed the second son as the heir, but when the king died it went to this random duke in Lotharingia and I have no idea why.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Doltos posted:

- Why do my promising betrothals and marriages always end up with the girl dying of pneumonia or having the most gormy face imaginable when they come of age?

Middleages.txt

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Started an Ironman Ireland (Eireman?) game. Took me about fifty years to get enough of Ireland to create the kingdom title, and during the last ten or so, Pictland was getting slammed with revolts and Norwegian conquests. It got so bad that at one point the entirety of their territory was covered in diagonal stripes. I even asked the Pope if I could take time out from my busy raiding-and-fabricating schedule to invade them myself. He said no. :(

Finally, it wound up with this smug rear end in a top hat in charge after the longest religious revolt I've ever seen:

Seriously, look at that gently caress. If the church goes back to a vow of poverty, then who the gently caress am I gonna raid, huh? Think of someone besides yourself, you inconsiderate prick. He got the entirety of the kingdom, minus a few bits that had peasant revolts break off beforehand and whatever the Uibs failed to conquer from Northumberland.

So, being the good Catholic that I am, I declare a holy war. During this war, I go to the southern parts of Ireland and tell those guys, "Hey, be my vassal, come punch Picts." Unsurprisingly, they all agree (One of the Mumus was a little reluctant because I'd literally just got done burning down his poo poo for the gold leaf). With the holy war done and the Isles firmly in my True Christian Knightly grasp (Seriously, this is the best character I've ever had in an Ironman game), I debated long and hard with myself before declaring a second one. I wasn't the only one jumping on the Waldensians, I was already going to have a hard row to hoe getting half the country, and I didn't want to leave what's-his-face alone for ten years to actually build up military strength (He had available levies of 228 when I declared the first one, and immediately called in his tribal vassals with their combined strength of 0 :histdowns: ). Lost around 2000 prestige calling the second one, and the diplomacy penalty dropped me to merely above-average.

End result of all six ( !! ) holy wars on Pictland:

No more Pictland. The Isle of Man is still ruled by a Waldensian and there's pockets left in Alban and Kent (Seriously, the orange is Kent, some inheritance thing with Teviotdale :iiam: ), but everything else is back in Catholic hands. The kingdom title was destroyed in the aftermath of the Waldensian revolt, created again during my second holy war, then destroyed again shortly after the Northumbrian holy war.

Meanwhile in the rest of the world, Charlemagne was crowned Emperor of Francia, holds Asturias and bits of Saxony as well (Did hold all of Saxony, but lost most of it somehow. There's now a bit of Saxony in the middle of the French coast). The kingdom of West Francia is rebelling against Francia's tyranny, I don't know the actual cause of that. I'm marrying into the Karlings and Lombards, as well. The Umayyads are going through a bunch of revolts, the Zunists have changed dynasties, but made inroads into India (As have the Abbasids), and I don't know what the gently caress is going on in Scandinavia.

e: 51% of Ireland: 50 years. 35% of Scotland: 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Doltos posted:

- I invite a lot of courtiers to my court to try to land high scoring guys for my council. Should I be doing marriages instead to lure people? I also can't figure this out as I buy debutantes to try to lure good courtiers to my court, but they just end up moving to the other guys court and the guy never wants to come over, even at high influence scores.

If the marriage isn't Matrilineal then the woman moves to the man's home court, always (unless she holds a landed title). If it IS Matrilineal then the man moves to the woman's court (unless he holds a landed title). Generally any man with a high score in any category will be on his liege's council and thus the liege will refuse to marry him matrilineally. So trying to get councilors through marriage generally won't work. You'll have better success finding someone with a high stat who dislikes his liege, giving him a small bribe (usually :20bux:) and inviting him to your court. Usually he will accept if he likes you by exactly 89 or more points more than he likes his current liege (if his opinion of you is 100, he will accept your invitation if his opinion of his liege is 11, but not 12.)

Doltos posted:

- Everyone in my family always wants a fief to govern but they always end up fighting my heirs for control of the kingdom, or just plain revolt every chance they get. Should I just ignore their requests and give all the extra demense to my heir like I do now?

Depends on your succession law, but as a general rule you should never ever give land to any son who might inherit later. You'll lose influence over his decisions and by the time he inherits he'll be a Slothful Gluttonous Cruel Kinslayer married to a 54 year old hag and whose only son is already also Slothful, Cruel, Arbitrary and Cynical.

Doltos posted:

Jaramin is right: because middle ages. People in the middle ages didn't give a poo poo what their son's wife looked like and assumed he'd have some hot courtiers around to bang, and so should you.

Doltos posted:

Does fulfilling wishes do more than just increase how much your courtiers like you? I could swear I saw one of them have their diplomacy go up after I fulfilled their request for a marriage.

Nope. If that happened it was coincidental and happened because they seperately but concurrently fired an event that gave him a +diplomacy trait or somesuch.

Doltos posted:

Is there a guide anywhere that describes how people inherit? I had my daughter married off to the second oldest son of the King of Lotharingia with a matrilineal marriage. I killed the older son and it showed the second son as the heir, but when the king died it went to this random duke in Lotharingia and I have no idea why.

Probably because Lotharingia was on Elective succession. Either that or the random duke was the dead older son's son (under Gavelkind and Primogeniture the eldest son's sons inherit before his brothers). Just hover over any title's shield to see what its succession law is and who the top three in line to the title are.

• Locked thread