Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Has there been any indicator whether or not the carrier (the Iliad, I guess?) is the answer to the 'what the gently caress happened to the Avengers 1 helicarrier' question?

It explicitly doesn't seem to be a helicarrier and the interior's not set up the same as the Avengers 1 one. I'd assume the government has the helicarrier under lock and key somewhere like they have most of the quinnjets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Suddenly the U.S. Navy is interested in VTOL aircraft carriers and somewhere a Lockheed executive gets a boner

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Ward's brother made a very public press release defending the current iteration of SHIELD so at least their existence is public.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Emerson Cod posted:

Ward's brother made a very public press release defending the current iteration of SHIELD so at least their existence is public.

I don't think SHIELD would be such a surprise, but I think Coulson would be.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Apprentice Dick posted:

I don't think SHIELD would be such a surprise, but I think Coulson would be.

Exactly. They all knew how large SHIELD was, so they would expect splinter groups to continue operating and not be phased by it.

But if they knew Coulson was alive, and was made the new Directory by Fury himself and tasked with rebuilding SHIELD... now that would be quite the surprise. And probably will be when it happens.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Mokinokaro posted:

It explicitly doesn't seem to be a helicarrier and the interior's not set up the same as the Avengers 1 one. I'd assume the government has the helicarrier under lock and key somewhere like they have most of the quinnjets.

The helicarrier is never referred to by a name afaik and the corridors look different and way less high tech so I assumed it was a regular carrier.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, they have submersibles on board, which strongly suggests that it's just a regular seafaring aircraft carrier.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Actually, considering the Project Insight situation the government's probably got that thing REALLY locked up tight or are even taking it apart.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm not sure of the timeline. Does Fury tell Bobbi & Co to rebuild SHIELD at the same time he tells Coulson to rebuild SHIELD? Did he actually tell Bobbi & Co to rebuild or just to blow up the carrier?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
No, he never told Bobbi and Co to rebuild. The last direct interaction he had with them, was telling Bobbi to blow up the carrier. They're rebuilding SHIELD on their own.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Onean posted:

No, he never told Bobbi and Co to rebuild. The last direct interaction he had with them, was telling Bobbi to blow up the carrier. They're rebuilding SHIELD on their own.

Yeah, it was actually a direct violation of Fury's orders. Fury wanted the carrier blown up, knowing that it would kill everyone on board, including SHIELD agents. Bobbi and Co changed their minds, saved the carrier and decided to make it the base of operations for Real SHIELD.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
One thing struck me the other night, as I was rewatching The Winter Soldier. Steve Rogers was SHIELD level 8, and as such should have been privy to Coulson's revival.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ahh yes but Fury's secrets have secrets and Rodgers wasn't a hundred percent onboard with everything.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fanzay posted:

One thing struck me the other night, as I was rewatching The Winter Soldier. Steve Rogers was SHIELD level 8, and as such should have been privy to Coulson's revival.

I assume that just meant he had clearance to know, not that he had been informed about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Levels system of information was always way too simplistic for an agency like SHIELD anyway.

Aww, Fitz is crying a tiny bit when he learns about Mack's betrayal in the server room. I really hope Mack flips back and they get explanations and apologies and hugs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 6, 2015

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assume that just meant he had clearance to know, not that he had been informed about it.

Sure, it's just that there's an offhand comment in the first episode that the Avengers aren't level 7. I guess I'm overthinking it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Even when you have a security clearance you only know things on a need to know basis. That's how it works in the real world. Someone with a top secret can't just pull the area 51 file. Shield levels are probably similar.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There were a couple hundred tradesman who knew about the secret workshop under the Potomac before Cap.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Martout posted:

Skye won't think Coulson put a kill order on her, her suddenly not trusting Coulson implicitly would be a pretty sharp turn in where they've taken both characters and I don't think they'll do that, other than maybe the Inhumans trying to convince her she can't trust any of her old friends and her not falling for it after some introspection or flashback montage or something.

Also, May is the one who warned Skye to run in the first place. Skye should probably suspect there is some schism in the ranks she wasn't aware of before.

Do Gonzalez and the other Real Original Ray's SHIELD people have any idea Fury is still alive? I lost track of the timeline; I thought their last communication with Fury was during the HYDRA uprising in Winter Soldier, but maybe that would already have been after his perceived "death" in Cap's apartment?

Not that it matters, since they actively disobeyed his orders and constantly demonize his practices. But the reality that Coulson was handpicked by a living Fury to run the agency makes NuShield especially mutinous. I hope there's dramatic fallout from that.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Xealot posted:

Do Gonzalez and the other Real Original Ray's SHIELD people have any idea Fury is still alive?

No, they've all pretty consistently said that Fury is dead. I think even other non Shield/Real Shield characters have mentioned Fury being dead. Maria Hill did as well.

Bobbi might know due to being on Coulson's team, but it could go either way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hill probably knows but she's sticking to the narrative Fury wants.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Bobbi might know due to being on Coulson's team, but it could go either way.

Doubt it; Fury being alive is being kept 100% secret, Coulson didn't even tell his original Bus team until they had to meet up with Fury directly in the finale.

Mokinokaro posted:

Hill probably knows but she's sticking to the narrative Fury wants.

Hill organised his fake death in Winter Soldier, didn't she? She definitely knows.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MikeJF posted:

Doubt it; Fury being alive is being kept 100% secret, Coulson didn't even tell his original Bus team until they had to meet up with Fury directly in the finale.

I guess that's true.

Which explains Real!Shield more; they just assume Coulson is fronting a parallel SHIELD that's no more legitimate than their own. It'd be cool if they're somehow disabused of that notion. Not only did they actively defy Fury's orders on the aircraft carrier, they're currently straight-up being mutineers against his valid successor.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The only thing that really bothered me with the last episode is the fact that Skye was blocking full-strength close combat attacks with her very-recently broken arms. It's not a huge thing but it took me out of the action because I couldn't imagine that would work out well for her.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Xealot posted:

I guess that's true.

Which explains Real!Shield more; they just assume Coulson is fronting a parallel SHIELD that's no more legitimate than their own. It'd be cool if they're somehow disabused of that notion. Not only did they actively defy Fury's orders on the aircraft carrier, they're currently straight-up being mutineers against his valid successor.

Fury vs. Adama. Make it happen, Marvel.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

PierreTheMime posted:

The only thing that really bothered me with the last episode is the fact that Skye was blocking full-strength close combat attacks with her very-recently broken arms. It's not a huge thing but it took me out of the action because I couldn't imagine that would work out well for her.

If the Flash thread answer is "speed force" then maybe here it can be "vibration powers."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Adama seemed to acknowledge that Coulson was Fury's protege. I think he currently believes
A) Fury is dead.
B) Coulson is his hand picked successor.
C) He don't give a drat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MikeJF posted:

Hill organised his fake death in Winter Soldier, didn't she? She definitely knows.

Yes and they interacted a bunch after his "death". She was the one who brought Widow, Cap, and Falcon to Fury's hidden bunker in Cap 2.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MikeJF posted:

Aww, Fitz is crying a tiny bit when he learns about Mack's betrayal in the server room. I really hope Mack flips back and they get explanations and apologies and hugs.

Every time Mack calls Fitz "turbo" I automatically place nerd at the end of it, changing it from a nice nickname to an insult.

turbonerd

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Xealot posted:

It'd be cool if they're somehow disabused of that notion. Not only did they actively defy Fury's orders on the aircraft carrier, they're currently straight-up being mutineers against his valid successor.

To be fair, their whole thing is that Fury was going about it the wrong way and they needed a new leadership paradigm. I don't know why Fury being alive would make them decide to trust his leadership again, I think they're pretty much done with him as a leader regardless, and they wouldn't give a crap if Fury officially anointed Coulson because he represents 'the old (failed) way'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Electromax posted:

To be fair, their whole thing is that Fury was going about it the wrong way and they needed a new leadership paradigm. I don't know why Fury being alive would make them decide to trust his leadership again, I think they're pretty much done with him as a leader regardless, and they wouldn't give a crap if Fury officially anointed Coulson because he represents 'the old (failed) way'.

Yup. They had issues with Fury keeping secrets, which is exactly what he's still doing.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
A friend of mine is finally getting into the show and was talking about how much she likes Ward just before starting episode 17.

Insert Duck-Hunt-Dog-Snickering here.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Polaron posted:

Insert Duck-Hunt-Dog-Snickering here.

That dog gif is unavailable because Ward shot it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

greatn posted:

Adama seemed to acknowledge that Coulson was Fury's protege. I think he currently believes
A) Fury is dead.
B) Coulson is his hand picked successor.
C) He don't give a drat.

Hell, I'm pretty sure Gonzalez said that he knows Coulson was groomed by Fury to be his successor and he doesn't trust him specifically because of that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Her arms weren't broken. The capillaries were just burst. She was still in a lot of pain but not the kind of pain that would prevent her from unarmed combat.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Her arms weren't broken. The capillaries were just burst. She was still in a lot of pain but not the kind of pain that would prevent her from unarmed combat.

Also her vibration powers were subconsciously working to shunt the most damaging impacts away from damaged areas. Where's my noprize?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

enraged_camel posted:

She specifically had multiple hairline fractures along with the bruising. I'm fine with hand-waving that her powers saved her, but considering how much control she has at this point she threw her arms up knowing she was about to have her arms fully broken or at the very least suffer extreme pain.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

she had hairline fractures throughout her body including her arms and shoulders.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Wait, didn't Fury "die" before Hydra started being open? How'd he give the order to blow up the carrier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It was probably a standing order.

• Locked thread