Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Disappointing Pie posted:

Pretty much, I'm on a PC.

So far I've just resorted to uploading them to my web server and playing them in safari but I'd rather they be on the actual device.

Also maybe Dropbox?

Give MediaMonkey a try. It syncs with iOS devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Back when I was on Windows, MediaMonkey was what I used to sync my iPods. You need to run iTunes with the devices once AFAIK and then you can use it but maybe just try it anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think like every cloud sync app will play MP3s. You could just play from Dropbox.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What do you guys think of peak finder? Anything comparable? Does it work ok for less popular ranges?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Tsyni posted:

What do you guys think of peak finder? Anything comparable? Does it work ok for less popular ranges?

I use PeakFinder Earth when I go hiking or climbing. Works really well, I'd definitely recommend it. There's also ramblr, but I haven't used it personally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any apps particularly good for paperwork scanning, bonus points for OCR? I want to scan all my old tax documents and get them backed up to ~the cloud~ (per A/T's suggestion) so I can clean out my file cabinet some more this weekend.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Any apps particularly good for paperwork scanning, bonus points for OCR? I want to scan all my old tax documents and get them backed up to ~the cloud~ (per A/T's suggestion) so I can clean out my file cabinet some more this weekend.

Evernote Scannable is awesome and Evernote automatically OCRs/indexes things, but I already use Evernote anyway. IIRC it supports standard iOS 8 share sheets so you can still send it to Dropbox or whatever.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Office Lens maybe ?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

I like Scanbot - Pro upgrade IAP includes OCR and it can automatically upload to Dropbox.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pissflaps posted:

I like Scanbot - Pro upgrade IAP includes OCR and it can automatically upload to Dropbox.

Love this one too!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them all a look tonight. :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ScanBot seems to be the one for me. Just one question about it, can it perform OCR on documents after-the-fact, or does it have to be done at scan time? Still debating on paying for that.

Still, autouploading to Dropbox is seamless and it seems to find document borders very well, so I'm pleased as punch.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Maybe it's just me, but OCR on an iPhone has been nothing but horrible.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Maybe it's just me, but OCR on an iPhone has been nothing but horrible.

Yeah, the only time I've ever had good results with OCR of *any* kind is when I'm using either a quality PDF or a document scanned on a flatbed scanner. If I'm scanning a doc with a phone it's usually so I can review later or want a copy with a signature.

Although I wonder if I can use the OCR built into Devonthink Office Pro on a phone scanned document. I'll have to test it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Issue that's been nagging me for ages...

I _want_ to use Todoist as my todo app. I've used it on and off for years. But it's incredibly inconsistent at popping up an alert for due items; for example, I have 2 tasks that each trigger every day at 6am (to take a certain medication). They are separate items in Todoist. I would like, without fail, an alert to popup on my phone and iPad at 6am for these.

I have notifications allowed across the board for the app, and each task is set to remind me 0 mins before due, so on the due time.

It basically almost never does this. And it also doesn't sync changes on the iPad or web version unless I open the app.

In comparison, the app Due does all of this beautifully, but has a much crappier UI and no web version so I'm SOL when on a PC.

From the rave reviews, it seems like Todoist SHOULD do this just fine. Is there something I'm missing here? Anybody use both apps and see the difference I'm referring to?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm Having the same problems with reminders in todoist. I'm kind of leaning towards just letting it be a todo list which it's great at doing, and admit defeat as far as using it as my reminders solution.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I've tried to use Todoist, I've used Things (I admittedly really like Things), I've used Clear, I've used Due, and I've used Wunderlist, but I honestly feel like these are all strange, liminal solutions and people are either better off with Apple's Reminders or Omnifocus, and everything in between is either not doing enough or customizable enough or complicating poo poo that doesn't need to be complicated.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

I've tried to use Todoist, I've used Things (I admittedly really like Things), I've used Clear, I've used Due, and I've used Wunderlist, but I honestly feel like these are all strange, liminal solutions and people are either better off with Apple's Reminders or Omnifocus, and everything in between is either not doing enough or customizable enough or complicating poo poo that doesn't need to be complicated.

I agree, I've tried them all (except todoist), and settled on Omnifocus. I recommend Omnifocus, but really only for people who are juggling multiple projects and would see value in the contextual views of your tasks. Otherwise Reminders seems to work fairly well for most others.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

flosofl posted:

I agree, I've tried them all (except todoist), and settled on Omnifocus. I recommend Omnifocus, but really only for people who are juggling multiple projects and would see value in the contextual views of your tasks. Otherwise Reminders seems to work fairly well for most others.

What irks me is that Due proves that reliable alarming IS possible, but these other clowns just can't do it right. Omnifocus is another one; it generally won't fire off alarms until you open the app, rendering it useless for me as far as a DO THIS RIGHT NOW solution.

I've shoved all of these apps into my "ignore" folder for now, hoping maybe they'll update them at some future date, and begrudgingly decided to deal with Due's various UI quirks while also hounding the developers mercilessly about them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually, is there a way to make Reminders make a recurring reminder? Like, I want to be reminded of a few things once a month and my current solution is to just edit the reminder to the next month once it's completed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, open up reminders , click the little i beside the reminder and go to Repeat.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
In a weird move after developing an iOS scanning app, Scannable, Evernote decided to implement virtually all of Scannable's functions into the Evernote app itself. So for anyone curious Evernote does document recognition and scanning now, their OCR is worthless though; it creates a searchable index of the words but as far as I can tell doesn't let you see the rendered text as a document.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is Google play music broken for anyone else now :argh:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Are you on 8.3? To paraphrase Archer, "Do you wan't broken poo poo? Because that's how you get broken poo poo."

Reports coming in from all over, and also from personal experience, a bunch of things might have gotten fixed in 8.3 (yay, wifi sync doesn't disconnect my devices when unplugged), but a bunch of things broke as well (boo, TouchID stopped working for app store). This might be one of them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hehehe yepppp 8.3 I managed to get touchID working in the App Store again by turning it off and on again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hehehe yepppp 8.3 I managed to get touchID working in the App Store again by turning it off and on again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Is there anything similar to Drive Autosync (on Android), where if I connect to wifi it will automatically upload new pics/files to Google Drive?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Didn't work for me, nor did rebooting, hard resetting, nor any other variation of on/off again setting twiddling :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Somebody recommend me a basic note taking application because apparently the default Apple one is a steaming pile of poo poo.

A good browser would also be nice. Safari on OSX is great but on iOS its really really bad.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody recommend me a basic note taking application because apparently the default Apple one is a steaming pile of poo poo.

A good browser would also be nice. Safari on OSX is great but on iOS its really really bad.

The best basic note taking application is probably Simplenote.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Seconded on simple note. Hell, if it had markdown support on both iOS and OSX I probably would switch to it completely from Evernote.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I use Evernote (even though I loving hate its bloated feature set) but Simplenote is really good if you just need plain text and never mess with images or anything else.

There have been some rumors flying recently about Dropbox creating their own Evernote/Onenote alternative, and I'm really excited as I already use Dropbox for everything else and would love to get rid of Evernote.

I'll also say, I've started using Alternote for Evernote on my Mac and it's WAY better. This in conjunction with Drafts means I get Evernote without really ever having to see Evernote.

And Safari is as good as you're going to get on iOS. Your other option is Chrome, but the extension support (1Password, basically) for Safari makes it too useful to give up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RhoA posted:

The best basic note taking application is probably Simplenote.

Thanks, this looks good. Clean and simple is all I'm looking for.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

maduin posted:

I'll also say, I've started using Alternote for Evernote on my Mac and it's WAY better. This in conjunction with Drafts means I get Evernote without really ever having to see Evernote.

Seconding this. Evernote users should really try this app.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What does Evernote do that syncing stuff to Dropbox or whatever doesn't do, anyway?

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Ciaphas posted:

What does Evernote do that syncing stuff to Dropbox or whatever doesn't do, anyway?

I like Evernote because it keeps everything in one place. It's not a bunch of loose files in a folder. And I can tag my notes and search for them which is really nice. The web clipper thing is cool too, especially if you're doing research.

Rye Bread posted:

Is there anything similar to Drive Autosync (on Android), where if I connect to wifi it will automatically upload new pics/files to Google Drive?
I don't think this is possible in iOS.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Mostly image/pdf attachments and providing a singular space that allows for folders in addition to tagging (Dropbox+nvALT only allows for tagging and plain text, for example). It's super bloated though (it has todo lists, location poo poo, contexts that are all kind of hosed up, work chat that CONTINUES to loving pop up when I log in, etc), and the developers continue to build more features into the apps.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Evernote OCRs your documents for full text indexing too, which is nice. I don't bother to name notes but I'm still able to find things by search terms like "2015 W-2" because of the indexing.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Evernote (for better or worse) has such a large, bloated feature set, that it's enabled a ton of wholly different workflows and use cases. For me, the web clipper is really useful to clip searchable code snippets, create notes for my projects in development, and is also a great way to manage my shopping wish list.

That said, the weakest point by far is the actual typesetting. It is an absolute chore to write anything inside Evernote, and there's always a billion features you never care about and just clutters up the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yep. I never have used Evernote for a single actual note. Only scanned documents attached as PDFs to empty notes.