Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Fixed.

How does a bashed patch work? I installed wrye bash but I can't figure it out at all.

It seems to be working okay, but I really need to figure out what is causing this:

I turned the game off, turned off all my texture/flora mods then tried again. No change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Fixed.

How does a bashed patch work? I installed wrye bash but I can't figure it out at all.

It seems to be working okay, but I really need to figure out what is causing this:

I turned the game off, turned off all my texture/flora mods then tried again. No change.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Bashed_Patch#Recommendations

The blue trees mean you are missing textures.

Read the STEP wiki. Modding isn't hard but a basic understanding of TES5Edit and Wrye is more or less mandatory. I also suggest you edit your SKSE.ini to use the memory patch and get ENBoost. All of that is on the Wiki.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Sensenmann posted:

Do NOT clean mods that are dirty but explicitly say to not be cleaned, that's not a joke warning.

Adding onto this: You should really, really double check any instruction to clean mods because LOOT may not know which should not be cleaned.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

axolotl farmer posted:

Are bound bows ridiculously overpowered? I'm using SPERG, but no other balancing/fight mechanics mods.

I'm at level 45, archery 90, and can take down dragons in 4-5 shots.

Rather than nerfing the more overpowered aspects of vanilla Skyrim, SPERG tries to bring everything else up to the same level. In this case, bound weapons when maxed out will be competitive with a fully blacksmithed (or enchanted) bow. If you blacksmith and enchant, then your own custom bow will be clearly better than bound. If you don't like this and you don't want to use another balance mod, try turning on hardcore mode and see if it feels better to you. That mode was designed to be more heavy handed with balance with much less regard to how strong things felt in vanilla.

I did a lot of thorough testing to make sure SPERG power levels were internally consistent no matter what type of character you want to play. People still say it's "imbalanced" because vanilla power levels were so high, but balance and difficulty are two different things. Get the difficulty where you want it and SPERG should help a lot in making sure you can play whatever you want without worrying about it screwing up the difficulty curve.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is there a mod that makes quivers go away when I don;t have a bow equipped? I'm sure I had something like that last time I played, it's bloody ugly.

edit: found it. Auto Unequip Arrows.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 5, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Ice spells are like two-shotting me. This is what I get for crafting a bunch instead of leveling up real skills and buying real armor, isn't it :(

OBIS+ASIS really makes the game a lot more fun, though. loving ice spell damage is way high, but everything else is good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've been away from Skyrim for like a year and forever and I wanted to get back in. I want to keep a pretty minimal mod list this time - I've got it mostly worked out except visual mods. What are the current ENBs worth trying?

Ideally, I want one which is easy to install and does not require 47 helper mods or have a required mod list a mile long. Just something I can drop in to a fairly close to vanilla game and call it a day. Not making interiors super dark would be another nice benefit though I guess I'm familiar enough with tweaking Fallout New Vegas ENB profiles to be able to handle that in Skyrim, too.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ice spells are like two-shotting me. This is what I get for crafting a bunch instead of leveling up real skills and buying real armor, isn't it :(
Nah, ice spikes are always nasty. And armor won't even help you against them.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
So, I'm picking up Unique Uniques and Unique Weapons Redone, and want to use them both via Model Manager, but MM only showed Redone on the weapons I should be able to pick between Redone and UU for. I'm assuming this has to do with making a bashed patch, but neither of them are showing up on the options when I'm rebuilding one. Any help?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I feel like an rear end in a top hat asking this since it's no doubt been asked a million times since the game came out, but what is the simplest fix when it comes to shadows behaving generally insane, like the constant flickering and for a lack of better words, passage of time effect occurring extremely fast. Using the forums search and googling gives me a ton of different variations for fixes, but I just wanted to know if there any that were particularly helpful before I just start brute forcing through them.

I've just reinstalled skyrim for the first time in years and cannot remember what I did to fix this issue previously, as I figured it'd be as easy as some simple .ini shadow tweaks but they don't seem to be working quite right and I have the feeling I'm going to drive myself crazy messing with them for a few hours over the next couple of days.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 6, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Fixed.

You've just got a banner crop of deathbell flowers this year is all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, ice spikes are always nasty. And armor won't even help you against them.
Well, poo poo. I mean, eventually I'll get that heavy armor perk that gives me like 30% to negate them, so at least I won't get one-two punched instantly to death as often. But still.

That said? Tough but fair. I can't complain.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, poo poo. I mean, eventually I'll get that heavy armor perk that gives me like 30% to negate them, so at least I won't get one-two punched instantly to death as often. But still.

That said? Tough but fair. I can't complain.

Don't worry, in my experience Ice Spike doesn't have poo poo on Ice Storm. It snares the hell out of you, goes through lots of solid objects and can be chain-gunned by assholes like Malkoran.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Sivek posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat asking this since it's no doubt been asked a million times since the game came out, but what is the simplest fix when it comes to shadows behaving generally insane, like the constant flickering and for a lack of better words, passage of time effect occurring extremely fast. Using the forums search and googling gives me a ton of different variations for fixes, but I just wanted to know if there any that were particularly helpful before I just start brute forcing through them.

I've just reinstalled skyrim for the first time in years and cannot remember what I did to fix this issue previously, as I figured it'd be as easy as some simple .ini shadow tweaks but they don't seem to be working quite right and I have the feeling I'm going to drive myself crazy messing with them for a few hours over the next couple of days.

Skyrimprefs.ini , change this under [Display]

fShadowBiasScale=1.0000

Anything below 1 makes the shadows outside look like poo poo.

Skyrim.ini , add these under [Display]

fSunShadowUpdateTime=.25
fSunUpdateThreshold=1.5

The higher the first value, the slower the sun moves.
The lower, the faster.
0.1 for both would be almost real time and most likely come with FPS drops.

To get real "real time" change the timescale to 1 via the console.

Like so: set timescale to 1

Be warned, tinkering with the timescale might break your game, so only do this if you are 100% sure or for testing.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 6, 2015

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

Be warned, tinkering with the timescale might break your game, so only do this if you are 100% sure or for testing.

Changing the timescale shouldn't break the whole game. What it can do it screw up NPC behaviour. Their schedules revolve around the ingame time and if you set it too low most NPCs won't appear to do anything. Also they'll start having problem figuring out doors.
And certain scenes depend on the timescale being 20 (I think there are two: the execution scene in Sollitude & Camilla walking with you to the bridge during the Golden Claw quest). If you set the timescale to 1, then people in Sollitude will spend about half an hour of real-time minutes staring at Roggvir's corpse instead of wandering of after just a minute.

Personally I wouldn't set the timescale to below 6 and make sure to set it back to 20 when you come up those two scenes.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Changing the timescale shouldn't break the whole game. What it can do it screw up NPC behaviour. Their schedules revolve around the ingame time and if you set it too low most NPCs won't appear to do anything. Also they'll start having problem figuring out doors.
And certain scenes depend on the timescale being 20 (I think there are two: the execution scene in Sollitude & Camilla walking with you to the bridge during the Golden Claw quest). If you set the timescale to 1, then people in Sollitude will spend about half an hour of real-time minutes staring at Roggvir's corpse instead of wandering of after just a minute.

Personally I wouldn't set the timescale to below 6 and make sure to set it back to 20 when you come up those two scenes.

Yes, I meant to say it might break quests. :)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I half-remember there being a mod that changes the timescale to the default for scenes like that and then sets it back to whatever you had.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
It's all over:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64466/

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks for all the shadow tips, things seem to be under control now. Now it's time to start modding this game into an endless string of infinite loading screens and CTD's :getin:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

I was going to ask why this was such a big deal in a setting that already has werewolves and giant cat and lizard people, but then I clicked the link and it warned me that this was adult content so consider my question retracted I guess.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raygereio posted:

Whoops :downs:
Guess that's why I kept having trouble with Camilla. I've been setting my timescale to 18 to slow things down just a tiny bit and didn't realize that could be loving some stuff up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ok, how do I limit my FPS? Every time I enter a building or town, poo poo flies off the shelves and it's getting annoying trying to hunt down vibrating plates.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ENB is the most common frame limiting solution.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Nvidia Inspector or the AMD equivalent will work as well.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Every time I enter a building or town, poo poo flies off the shelves

The true Skyrim experience is walking into a interior cell and not knowing whether or not the bookcase filled with clutter is benign, or a armed and ready to fire anti-dovahkiin area denial claymore.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Mzbundifund posted:

I was going to ask why this was such a big deal in a setting that already has werewolves and giant cat and lizard people, but then I clicked the link and it warned me that this was adult content so consider my question retracted I guess.

I'm not a big fan of that mod, or anything werewolf-related, or anything that stinks of furrydom... but it is made by one of the better mesh/texture artists on the scene, who was also super nice about it when I wanted to use some of her resources one time, so I gotta call foul on the haters. The "adult content" is just because it's based on some widely-used nude body mods, which aren't even required. And that's just because no self-respecting mesh/texture artist works with vanilla resources when there are such better alternatives freely available.

I don't think anything is inherently gross about this mod, except that it's wolf-people, and I'm pretty racist against wolf-people.

Edit: True story, I use console hacks to add myself to the Silver Hand faction, because gently caress a werewolf.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nerd Of Prey posted:

because gently caress a werewolf.

That's probably the idea :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

As far as objectionability goes, you don't need to look any further than "optimized for Shlongs of Skyrim".

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
A year or two ago I remember cleaning Update.esm and the DLC .esm files using TES5Edit. Is this still recommended when reinstalling?

GunnerJ posted:

I half-remember there being a mod that changes the timescale to the default for scenes like that and then sets it back to whatever you had.

I think it was this?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Anyone know which mod could be causing everyone in Candlehearth Hall to have a loving group meeting in my room every time I sleep? It's not a huge issue, but annoying as gently caress.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ok, how do I limit my FPS? Every time I enter a building or town, poo poo flies off the shelves and it's getting annoying trying to hunt down vibrating plates.

Install a shitload of graphics mods :haw:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you run an enb: shift + enter and setup FPS limiter to 60 and activate it (you can see the FPS counter by pressing * (star)).

If not, erm, I think you can enable vsync through your GPU controller or skyrim's config ini.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

scamtank posted:

As far as objectionability goes, you don't need to look any further than "optimized for Shlongs of Skyrim".

Whoa, regulate your dick shaming. Nothing wrong with a spicy dong to go with those chiseled Skyrim manfaces.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Duck and burger posted:

Whoa, regulate your dick shaming. Nothing wrong with a spicy dong to go with those chiseled Skyrim manfaces.

Loverslab wants more people like you.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
Welp, it looks like aMidianBorn Book of Silence Landscape has been hidden, anyone know what's up with that?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
It must be a technical impossibility, that no one has sought to fix the horrible jump controls and animations that are completely unnaturallistic and completely unresponsive if you brush against a wall, and that you slide off into space if you collide with an enemy during the forward step of a power attack?

Also I'm trying Requiem and I'm completely baffled. Mob levels are completely random. lv. 1 skeletons, lv. 1 bandits, lv. 20 bandits, lv. 27 vampires, lv. 45 priests... I've found 20+ level spreads in pretty much every group I've seen, with no rhyme or reason. Open roads, Markarth, Whiterun, rumor quests, wherever. Also all spells are useless and cost more than double your mana pool the second you hit Lv. 2. Also regen rates on everything are so low it takes minutes to recover from a 20 second skirmish. And just walking around in light armor costs stamina. I wanted a challenge, and I was psyched for this, and when it works it's actually great, but I'm like two hours from writing it off as retarded nonsense by and for lunatics.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How do you take a steam screenshot in Heavily Modded Skyrim? I assume it's something to do with the mod manager and SKSE...can I fix it.

edit: changed my button from numpad / to the default and it works now...wtf.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Duck and burger posted:

It must be a technical impossibility, that no one has sought to fix the horrible jump controls and animations that are completely unnaturallistic and completely unresponsive if you brush against a wall, and that you slide off into space if you collide with an enemy during the forward step of a power attack?

Also I'm trying Requiem and I'm like two hours from writing it off as retarded nonsense by and for lunatics.

Nope. Movement and animations are pretty deep in the engine. People have only just started on weapon animation stuff and last I heard it was pretty janky.

A few goons really love Requiem and say after the first 20 hour slog its very rewarding. Most everyone else hasn't spent as much time before deciding its stupid nonsense. Skyrim is essentially unbalanceable for a lot of reasons. Become a god and suplex a dragon to death.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is there a mod that eases up the building requirements in hearthfire? I always get bored once I slog through the game to build a house and I just wanna skip that part this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there a mod that eases up the building requirements in hearthfire? I always get bored once I slog through the game to build a house and I just wanna skip that part this time.

How so? Remove the Jarl approval requirement? Or getting the building materials?
Could make a .txt file in your Skyrim dir with all the console commands you need. Say, 2: Jarl.txt and house.txt.
Have jarl.txt contain the console commands that advance you ahead once you get the courier letter to having killed the bandits and spoken back with the jarl. Get the letter, then console command "bat jarl". Boom. Go see the steward and buy the land. Now have house.txt contain all the commands for the materials you need for poo poo in your house: tons of nails, hinges, clay, straw, whatever. Get to your land, "bat house", theres your building supplies.
Those files come in handy sometimes. Once i get thieves guild master status, "bat prowler" for Prowlers Profit (no gem hunting). During Discerning the Transmudane, "bat blood".
Making the .txt files is easy, just enter the console commands one after the other, as if you were in the game. UESP can help you find the correct console commands you need.

• Locked thread