Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Koesj posted:

Also I'm in Qatar right now and it's insanely basic & standard Gulf Arab poo poo.

Suggest a piece of another country's culture for them to buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Def. some more Shia Islam for that extra street-level tension.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Haha, gays. Funny stuff all around.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Prince Ali's bid for FIFA presidency comes to an end. Expect the dirt to mysteriously surface anytime now.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Prince Ali (fabulous he, Ali of Jordan) will win the election so long as Blatter doesn't get hold of Genie and see him transformed back to plain old Aladin before he can win the heart of his true love, football.

Mixing me Disney films here but maybe his true love kiss will bring it back to life?

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
'...the heat never bothered me anyway'

- Sepp Blatter

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Guardian's Said and Done has some funny FIFA stuff.

quote:

US senator Bob Menendez – indicted on 14 federal corruption charges, including eight for bribery, four hours after co-signing a letter advising Fifa on ethics.

quote:

Sri Lanka’s former Fifa executive Vernon Manilal Fernando losing an appeal against his life ban after the court of arbitration in sport rejected his defence: “Fernando did not object to the bribery charges, but considered that the Fifa ethics code should only apply to bribes to third parties, and not to other Fifa officials. This cannot be accepted.”

quote:

Qatar 2022’s communications head Nasser Al Khater, reflecting on the lessons to be learned from the sustained European press coverage of alleged Qatar bid corruption. “It was unacceptable … The media laws in some countries allow you to say anything and call it freedom of expression and the public interest. I think it’s too much. For many of us, it was insulting.”

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Lol all three quotes there are amazing

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
lmaoing the most at the argument that internal bribery should be allowed

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

lol "It is a disgrace that some countries in this world let their journalists act like journalists."

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Blue Star Error posted:

:captainpop: all three quotes are incredible

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blue Star Error posted:

Said and Done is always really good until the bizarre "HAHA look at this stupid slut" bit at the end

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

And the endless "owner says he's not going to sack a manager -> sacks him" bit.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The head of the CAF announced that Africa will vote as a bloc for Blatter in the FIFA elections

Football is dead, salt the earth, etc.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Sounds legit.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Lol look at that photo of em

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Corruption level: Infinity

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I've never found Africans trustworthy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hakuna Matata

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Second story on the same issue: Luis Figo disputes Africa’s support for Sepp Blatter in Fifa presidential race

quote:

“I feel there’s a lot of respect for Caf among all the African federations but I’m positive that [Caf president] Mr [Issa] Hayatou did not speak in the name of the 54 members of the confederation,” said the former Barcelona and Real Madrid midfielder.

“Even when he [Hayatou] announced he would support Blatter, we could notice a difference from past congresses when a statement like that normally is followed by a standing ovation. This time we heard just a normal applause, which confirms my idea that a lot of African countries understand and agree with the need to change for the better of everyone, especially the national associations.

“In fact there were federation presidents who ensured me they would vote for me but they were reluctant to saying this out loud because they feared reactions against them, their federations and even their countries.”

Figo added: “It also to end this kind of atmosphere that I decided to be a candidate. Football should be about a beautiful game and people should be able to express themselves freely and openly.“

e: also,

quote:

The Caf congress in Cairo ended on Tuesday with Hayatou declaring Africa’s complete support for Blatter’s re-election, but on all previous occasions when the Caf chief has promised a block of African votes, many have broken ranks. When Blatter came to power in 1998, Hayatou pledged Africa’s votes to rival Lennart Johansson of Sweden but most defied him to vote Blatter into power.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Its ok, Greg Dyke has given his expensive watch back. Corruption has been removed from the world of football.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

MrBling posted:

Its ok, Greg Dyke has given his expensive watch back. Corruption has been removed from the world of football.

we did it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sunday Times is reporting that Blatter agreed not to question the Qatar 2022 award if Qatar prevented bin Hammam from running against him.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

Sunday Times is reporting that Blatter agreed not to question the Qatar 2022 award if Qatar prevented bin Hammam from running against him.

Hehe amazing

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Hehe

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMPXwqTMto

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/588750817198415872

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32342080

quote:

Sepp Blatter has been likened to Jesus, Nelson Mandela and Winston Churchill as 10 Concafaf members gave their backing to the incumbent for the Fifa presidency elections in May.

The declarations were made at the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf) congress.

Dominican Republic FA president Osiris Guzman compared the Swiss to iconic historical figures, also including Moses, Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King.

"Membership is sending a message that we continue to support Blatter," said Concafaf president Jeffrey Webb.

Some great comparisons, there.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They're 100% correct. Blatter is awesome.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

Well Jesus has had the Christian main deity vote sewn up on a one person shortlist for 2000 years so this checks out.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Brazil World Cup stadiums completed 10 months after event

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The stadiums weren't built with proper crowd control features so police had to go around firing percussion grenades at pitch invaders on the last day of state championship games.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
A German TV program went to Qatar to film working conditions

Unfortunately all the clips are in German so if there's any choice nuggets anyone wants to post, that'd be nice/depressing.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

TheBigAristotle posted:

Unfortunately all the clips are in German so if there's any choice nuggets anyone wants to post, that'd be nice/depressing.

I'd glad someone's keeping up the pressure, I was starting to feel like workers dying of heatstroke was no longer a hot Bhutan topic.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Imagine news of Qatari abuse of migrant workers made it back home to Nepal, it'd send shockwaves through the whole country

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Blue Star Error posted:

I'd glad someone's keeping up the pressure, I was starting to feel like workers dying of heatstroke was no longer a hot Bhutan topic.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Imagine news of Qatari abuse of migrant workers made it back home to Nepal, it'd send shockwaves through the whole country

I'll admit, I laughed, but keep in mind that the people that made that film got detained and had a sizable amount of footage erased (link auf Deutsch: https://presse.wdr.de/plounge/tv/das_erste/2015/05/20150504_die_story_im_ersten.html;jsessionid=881E66E7D3ACFE57928B91F767223525.presse1)

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm not sure how much of it is new information, but the gist is basically: Reporters uncover information about corruption regarding FIFA, ask FIFA to comment -> FIFA: "Nah, we're totally clean."

Here's one quote from Blatter himself when they finally got a chance to ask him one question at a press conference (he ignored their interview requests for 5 months):

The reporter asks him about evidence they've uncovered about one of the FIFA executive committee members being bribed in order to secure a vote for the Qatar 2022 bid.

Blatter: "This is an absolutely disgusting declaration from you. I reject it and will not respond to it. I'm sorry, but I'm talking about solidarity and fair play here."

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Qatar have arrested journalists and wiped their recordings because they were filming how horrible the conditions of the workers building the stadiums were.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32601845

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Can't believe a terrorist funding dictatorship is not okay with free flow of information but enough about FIFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal