Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I mean if you want him to carve mt rushmore with a toothpick then that's on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

SnoruntPyro posted:

Well, I didn't really want to post the script, but here you go.

Thank you for not renaming my video.

Niggurath posted:

Premiere might not be within his price range to use; it's still a somewhat expensive program.

It's $20.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Premiere's $20? I thought it was more expensive. I'll look into that, then.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

$20/month.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SnoruntPyro posted:

Premiere's $20? I thought it was more expensive. I'll look into that, then.
There's also a free trial, if you were only going to use it for a single video. But yeah, I was confusing the price of Sony Vegas and Premiere; so I apologize for the confusion there.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The problem is the incredible number of overlays, I think. If the videos are sized properly to use StackVertical and StackHorizontal, that's likely to save you some processing power, and if you can use Layer instead of Overlay, that will probably save you a ton.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
my let's play monetization rate cannot compete with the Adobe Creative Cloud help

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

haha jeeesus recording is insanely space intensive, well i dont think im going to do a video game lp because gently caress spending serious bucks on equipment

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eh, you can find a 1 tb hard drive for like 60 bucks these days, that's definitely not that bad. Storage space is definitely the least expensive part (and you'll probably want that space for other things anyway if you play a lot of video games or whatever). One reason I like Nvidia Shadowplay is because the files it captures are very well optimized while retaining their quality, which allows for this:

That's five full LPs' worth of game footage and files (Dead Space 1, Dead Space 2, Dead Space 3, and two super special secret games I haven't posted about doing yet), at least 2 playthroughs' worth for each game. Meanwhile with Fraps that'd only be like one game, maybe.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 6, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Control Volume posted:

haha jeeesus recording is insanely space intensive, well i dont think im going to do a video game lp because gently caress spending serious bucks on equipment

, he said, opening up a tab to start looking at hds with decent write speed

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Shadowplay confuses me. I'm used to recording with FRAPS where my last 33 minute 1080p 30 FPS video went up to 67 GB in size. Shadowplay looks like it can do it at around 9-10GB but at 60 FPS instead. Is there really no discernible quality lost there? I've done a few quick tests and the Shadowplay videos look perfectly fine, I just have trouble believing that FRAPS is so terribly inefficient. I feel like the guys in those videos who are being offered money on the street and refuse because, no way does someone just hand out random money, good things like that just don't happen.

HD speed also isn't terribly important. The average disc can easily get 100+ mb/sec, and my ancient external 1 TB drive has been performing fine, though 1080p 60 FPS from FRAPS is a bit much for the poor thing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shadowplay records to H.264 video while Fraps records to some proprietary codec. You can also adjust the target bitrate for Shadowplay.

Depending on the actual content, 60 fps video might not take much more space than 30 fps video, since the movement (differences) from frame to frame can be much less in 60 fps, so while there's twice as many frames, the amount of data per frame is less. Of course that only holds for low-motion content, if there is heavy motion (e.g. running fast through a complex environment) the amount of new data per frame will be high and 60 fps will have to take up twice the space to keep the same quality.
Regardless of how much motion there is in the content, recording (encoding) 60 fps will require more CPU/GPU and system bus bandwidth than 30 fps, since the data hasn't been processed/compressed yet at that time.

With that in mind, make sure you set an appropriate target bitrate for Shadowplay recordings. High motion video will require higher bitrate to look as good, and higher bitrate equals bigger files.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 6, 2015

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I have an Elgato HD and I've been trying to make it work with OBS. I set up everything and it streams to Hitbox, and while the picture quality is good, it hitches every 5 seconds. OBS isn't reporting any dropped frames. If I stream with Elgato's "Game Capture HD" software, the picture quality is worse, but no hitches. The bitrate is the same and both were set at 720p (downscaled on OBS). Anyone know whether this is some limitation on non-partnered Hitbox channels? Or am I missing some obscure OBS setting? Both buffer and upload bitrate are set the same and the audio quality is lowered so the total doesn't go over my 2.5Mbps limit. The console I was testing was the PS4.

The picture quality isn't the only reason I want to switch to OBS. I want more control over the streams with it, so would really llike to move away from Game Capture HD.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm toying around with Shadowplay to find if there are any problems before I use it to make actual videos. The main thing that seems to destroy all my efforts is audio desync and just audio problems in general. My FRAPS workflow is as follows. I record my microphone with Audacity, video with FRAPS, extract the game-audio with VirtualDub, add it into the Audacity file, sync them up, edit, export, and then comes the whole avisynth/MeGUI part to get the video edited and encoded properly.

If I try this with Shadowplay, the first thing that fucks up is that the audio I extract through VirtualDub is sped up, roughly 3 times too fast. Well, so I tried extracting the audio with a different program. But then the audio was 1 minute 34, whereas the video was 1 minute 35, and when I mux them there's a gradual desync. Apparently Shadowplay has a variable frame rate and things don't play nice with that. The main solution I seem to find is to first run a Shadowplay recording through Handbrake to get a set frame rate, and then encode that again. That seems like willfully wasting quality by first having Shadowplay encode the video, then have Handbrake encode some more, and then have MeGUI throw the final encode on it. Is there any way to fix my audio problems? I like Shadowplay so far, if only I can get it to work with my normal workflow.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
ffmpeg might convert faster. I guess the alternative is to find the video's frame rate and set your frame rate to that, or to choose a video editor that doesn't care about frame rates.

I just put frame rate conversion into my workflow, as blender unfortunately doesn't take non-int values for custom frame rates.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a program or function on MS paint or something similar to have a perfect square box ready? I'm currently manually making perfect square with mspaint for portraits, but it gets really annoying because I have to ballpark what the actual center is.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Tae posted:

Is there a program or function on MS paint or something similar to have a perfect square box ready? I'm currently manually making perfect square with mspaint for portraits, but it gets really annoying because I have to ballpark what the actual center is.

You could always make a template square box and save it as square.png or something and then just open that when you need your box. Or do you want to make square cutouts of art?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Tae posted:

In paint.net you can hold shift to confine the selecting area to a square. And then there is another tool (move selection) that lets you move just the selection area without changing the size of it.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

ProfessorBooty posted:

ffmpeg might convert faster. I guess the alternative is to find the video's frame rate and set your frame rate to that, or to choose a video editor that doesn't care about frame rates.

I just put frame rate conversion into my workflow, as blender unfortunately doesn't take non-int values for custom frame rates.

It's not the conversion that creates problems, I think, it's that I can't find a way to get synced audio from Shadowplay. I've just thrown my shadowplay recording through Handbrake to make it a constant 60 fps, but when I then extract the audio in virtualdub so that I can auto duck it in audacity, the file I get is again a second shorter than the video it came from, which means it's out of sync again when I mux them together.

Shadowplay seems to be great if you just want to record a bit, but I can't get it to play nice with actual editing and avisynth. I'll toy around a bit more but I'll probably stick to FRAPS for now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ChaosArgate posted:

You could always make a template square box and save it as square.png or something and then just open that when you need your box. Or do you want to make square cutouts of art?

The latter.

Major_JF posted:

In paint.net you can hold shift to confine the selecting area to a square. And then there is another tool (move selection) that lets you move just the selection area without changing the size of it.

Alright, I'll try out this program later. Thanks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Doesn't Paint let you do square selects if you hold shift with the select tool there as well?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Fleve posted:

It's not the conversion that creates problems, I think, it's that I can't find a way to get synced audio from Shadowplay. I've just thrown my shadowplay recording through Handbrake to make it a constant 60 fps, but when I then extract the audio in virtualdub so that I can auto duck it in audacity, the file I get is again a second shorter than the video it came from, which means it's out of sync again when I mux them together.

Try opening the MP4 directly with Audacity.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

The MP4 is the recorded video file from the Shadowplay recorder, Audacity won't accept that. Regardless, thanks for trying to help, cause it's made me more persistent in trying to get this working and I think I figured it out.

I think my problem was that directshowsource is a piece of garbage that I shouldn't have been relying on. Switching to FFMS2 instead and opening an avisynth file in VirtualDub gets me a proper length extracted audio-file. Now the only problem I still might have is that I'm not sure whether convertFPS(60) is going to convert the variable frame rate video to a constant frame rate video without trouble. There don't seem to be anymore audio issues so far at least.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Fleve posted:

The MP4 is the recorded video file from the Shadowplay recorder, Audacity won't accept that. Regardless, thanks for trying to help, cause it's made me more persistent in trying to get this working and I think I figured it out.

Oh, I don't have problems with Audacity opening Shadowplay MP4's, but it might be because I do all my editing in linux. Sorry I wasn't able to help.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place to ask, but I'm trying to do something a little fancy for an OP of an LP I'm planning.

Is there any way to remove the white space between each image, or is it basically hardcoded into the forum? I want to make it so they look like one big image.

EDIT: Cool, it only has the spacing in preview mode. Thanks for making me look insane, forum.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 6, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Danaru posted:

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place to ask, but I'm trying to do something a little fancy for an OP of an LP I'm planning.

Is there any way to remove the white space between each image, or is it basically hardcoded into the forum? I want to make it so they look like one big image.
That only happens when you preview a post, it looks fine when it's actually posted.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Danaru posted:

Thanks for making me look insane, forum.

Says the man who willingly paid money for Sonic 2006. :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Edward_Tohr posted:

Says the man who willingly paid money for Sonic 2006. :v:

Well, MORE insane, anyway

Niggurath posted:

That only happens when you preview a post, it looks fine when it's actually posted.

The test poster has the spacing too, so when the actual post didn't have them, I panicked trying to figure out what I did right :v: Looking dumb is better than not being able to do it at least

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fleve posted:

I think my problem was that directshowsource is a piece of garbage that I shouldn't have been relying on. Switching to FFMS2 instead and opening an avisynth file in VirtualDub gets me a proper length extracted audio-file. Now the only problem I still might have is that I'm not sure whether convertFPS(60) is going to convert the variable frame rate video to a constant frame rate video without trouble. There don't seem to be anymore audio issues so far at least.

Processing variable framerate (VFR) video in Avisynth is tricky. There are two ways to approach it, either convert it to constant (CFR), or keep it variable and be careful with editing.

Avisynth does not understand VFR video!
This is the most important point to remember, Avisynth does not have a concept of VFR, all video is assumed to have a single, constant framerate, which can be expressed as a rational fraction.

To work with VFR video you need the video source filter to understand VFR and handle it correctly. FFMS2 is VFR-compatible, and the correct thing to use.

Turning a VFR video file into CFR with FFMS2 requires adding two arguments to the invocation:
FFVideoSource("d:\lp\video_file.mp4", fpsnum=30, fpsden=1)
Since fpsden defaults to 1 you can leave it out for integer framerate targets, but if you need NTSC color framerate 29.97 you'd have to specify it as 30000/1001 since that is the actual fractional framerate used for NTSC.
When you specify a framerate to FFVideoSource it'll simply duplicate and decimate frames from the input video to match the requested rate and give you a proper CFR video. If you want some sort of frame blending (please don't) specify a too high framerate and then use another Avisynth function to convert it down.

If you instead want to keep the VFR, you will need to have a timecode file written, FFMS2 can also do that:
FFVideoSource("d:\lp\video_file.mp4", timecodes="d:\lp\video_file.timecodes.txt")
That instructs FFMS2 to write the named file with timecodes for all frames in the input video. If you don't add, remove or reorder frames in your video you can feed the same timecodes file back into the video muxing process (usually MKVMerge) and get a VFR file back out.
If you do cut your video in Avisynth but want to keep the VFR, you'll have to keep track of the cutting yourself and write a new timecode file by hand. Or program some tool to make it for you.
Lastly, because Avisynth and most other filters will treat the video as CFR, if you make fades or other time-dependent filtering it might come out uneven. One filter that does handle VFR is TextSub for hardsubbing rear end or SRT subtitles, it also takes a timecode argument (named vfr) pointing to a timecode file it'll then read and use.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 6, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

nielsm posted:

Paragraphs of distilled helpfulness!

Thanks! I just went and recorded an entire 30 minutes as a test, this is definitely going to help keep me sane while I try to make a real video out of it.

Edit: ↓ More thanks! I looked through my old avisynth files and it looks like I've usually used changefps(30), luckily, and on occasion assumefps(30), but that was just for showing some images or text I think.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 6, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
In addition to the above,

Fleve posted:

convertFPS(60)

ConvertFPS is never the right thing to use, as it blends frames. You want ChangeFPS for changing the framerate of a video within an Avisynth script.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I'm trying to do an LP with live commentary, but the only method we could find was through Twitch. We also tried screen sharing through Skype but couldn't tell if the audio was getting through. But then Twitch was having its own issues first with a huge delay (approximately minutes) and later failing connections (though this could have been just on my friend's end with his computer). If there are more reliable methods of sharing live footage for commentary LPs, what would be recommended. I'm using a Mac by the way if that's important.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ShichiNoBushi posted:

I'm trying to do an LP with live commentary, but the only method we could find was through Twitch. We also tried screen sharing through Skype but couldn't tell if the audio was getting through. But then Twitch was having its own issues first with a huge delay (approximately minutes) and later failing connections (though this could have been just on my friend's end with his computer). If there are more reliable methods of sharing live footage for commentary LPs, what would be recommended. I'm using a Mac by the way if that's important.

You'd want to use a program like Voicemeeter to pipe game audio over Skype, but I don't know if there's a Mac version. I don't think there is. You could always try streaming through Hitbox since it has a delay of maybe 10-15 seconds. Screen sharing is practically instant and if you don't need game audio to go through, then you should try that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ShichiNoBushi posted:

I use Hitbox, personally. At my best I've gotten a three second delay, and my internet is smoking hot trash. I've always had trouble with screen sharing being awful (like, 2 fps), so I prefer the delay to not being able to see what's happening. It'll all depend on your setup and your internet speed.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Alright, I set up a Hitbox account, though I had to download a broadcasting software. Since Xsplit is apparently Windows only, my only other option (at least offered by Hitbox) was OBS which seems to still be in alpha, so I can't expect it to be stable.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Soundflower and LineIn will let you send system audio on Skype on OSX; it's not as neat as Voicemeeter, but it does work. I don't have the time to find the tutorial links at the moment, but it's easy enough to Google it.

If you go for the Hitbox method, grab CamTwist and either FlashMediaLiveEncoder or CocoaSplit. Which of the latter two you need to get will depend on the version of CamTwist you get. If it's before version 3, you can use FMLE to stream; if it's 3 or later, it'll need to be CocoaSplit.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 7, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I use JACK for audio routing, maybe see if it works for Mac? If so, I can help you set it up.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
How do I listen to audio and record using 2 USB headsets at the same time?

I will buy a condenser mic later, but in the meantime I would like to try this.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Big Scary Owl posted:

How do I listen to audio and record using 2 USB headsets at the same time?

I will buy a condenser mic later, but in the meantime I would like to try this.

You mean record two different audio sources? I'd attach one to a computer in another room, or another house entirely, and play the video on both computers at the same time, record each commentary track separately, and merge them all in post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Soundflower or JACK on mac, JACK on Linux, Windows ... I'm not sure if there's any good free applications for Windows.

Edit: If you're really good at syncing/merging audio, then recording using a separate computer/laptop is an option, but I find the merging to be extremely frustrating. There's also hardware options for recording two separate mic sources.