Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's really weird how hostile this thread got at the suggestion that maybe we should try to get more people who aren't white or hispanic dudes into the community. :psyduck: Like, it was worded in kind of a confrontational and jargon-y way, but it's not a bad sentiment.

well yeah, but this is goons talking about old first person shooter games here, what did you expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

It's mostly that I saw the word "brogrammer" and rolled my eyes so hard I got a headache.

Brogramming is a real issue though. Startup culture is becoming really chauvinist and based around male models of competition, and that isn't a good thing. See Ellen Pao's lawsuit for just one example, or Shanley Kane's work.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I made various edits with Slade to a pistol start mod to get it compatible with smooth doom, therefore I'm a Doom Modder. I'm also Not White and the best SJW personification in real life (civil liberties attorney) so problem solved! Everything will be ok.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

arivia i'm really not surprised that some weird poe nerd decided to try and own you by spending 10 bucks on what's one of the most boring redtexts ever

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

SilentW posted:

the relative merits of dn3d vs doom level design

I think this comes down to how combat works. It's been said a bazillion times, but Doom centers around agility rather than strength, where most enemies have projectile attacks that can be dodged. Also, there's a lot of overlap in regards to enemy behavior. So like Lost Souls can be used as barriers in front of a Cacodemon, and then there's how infighting works.

Duke's enemies are primarily hitscan, so the objective is to kill them before they kill you, and there's barely any infighting (is there at all? I don't really remember).

So I think Duke can afford to have those "realisitc" (very loose term here. More like, inspired by real places) level design where as that wouldn't work in Doom's favor at all. Count me as one of those Doom players who fuckin' hate those realistic level sets.

In Doom you really need wide spaces in order to move and dodge, and in Duke you can have tight corridors full of breakable scenery to give combat sequences that little bit of edge.

I like both though! Although I'm a huge weiner when it comes to difficulty in games, so Duke 3D has always been a little on the hard side to me. I also feel like Doom levels allocate health a little better than Duke, although Duke has the portable medkit which honestly every FPS should have.

Woolie Wool posted:

Operation Serpent is being held back by the music, not much I can do but yell at Shane Strife to work faster. Please have patience.:)

What did you dislike about Totenhaus? I was aping the style of Laz Rojas, and I did as much as I could to make the level design less repetitive while still recognizable as an homage to the original.

As for Spear Revisited I did make it and I uh forgot to finish testing the ECWolf port. :downs:

FINE I guess I'll wait. :colbert: Shane Strife did the soundtrack for Duke on the playstation/saturn, right? That's awesome. How'd you manage that?

As for Totenhaus, it comes down to the levels feeling samey and just generally too large. Each level felt like a series long rear end hallways with side rooms. Then I'd get a key to a door on the complete opposite side of the map that I totally forgot about. They just weren't very fun to explore. I went back and played the original Totenhaus and that was pretty much exactly how those levels were too, so I can't really fault you for staying true to the source material. v:shobon:v

I think Wolf engine levels can be just as interesting as Doom, despite the technical limitations. To mention Spear End of Destiny again, each level felt fairly distinct and had some nice loops and each did a fairly good job at guiding the player along at a good pace. I only got lost a handful of times, and there was only one level that I outright hated (Run And Gun. Jesus Christ :stonk:)

Spear inspired mapsets are my favorite Wolf 3D experiences. I will fight my way through a Nazi stronghold and steal to the Spear of Destiny until the day I die. So hurry up and test Revisited. I'll give you a dollar on thursday. How's that for incentive?

Elliotw2 posted:

I really bad at Duke 3d because Duke is made of tissue paper.

Yeah the damage output for enemies is pretty fuckin' insane.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 6, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Does war of attrition crash on start-up for anyone else? I miss playing it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I really bad at Duke 3d because Duke is made of tissue paper.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I always loved how fragile Duke is in the game, and the whole tongue-in-cheek feeling that it entailed. It really felt like the developers were laughing at him behind his back the whole time, sticking "shrink me" signs onto him and firing off a few surprise explosions in his face, just humiliating him constantly to try to get him to shut up about how great he was.

The whole game, Duke is popping off stolen one-liners and feeding his monumental ego as he bumbles around urban buildings and alien spaceships. However, consistently he gets his rear end handed to him by lowly cannon fodder, and screams like a shrill girl when his health is low enough. (AKA 90% of the drat time.) It feels like he's just such a fragile egotistical idiot thinking highly of himself despite constantly getting shitcanned. I'm glad this whole concept was ported over well to Manhattan Project with the invention of his ego, which more accurately describes his whole health system.

I can't help but find it utterly ridiculous when the Ultimate Savior of Humanity and Alien Asskicker Duke Nukem has to be reduced to breaking open a toilet he just pissed in to lap up the toilet water to heal his cat scratches.

Doomguy would loving rip and tear through Duke's universe without a hassle. That fucker can take a rocket to the face and keep chugging along. Hell, Duke even needs to chug some roids just to be able to catch up with him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Okay, you horrible people, stop posting and go download and play Hocus Pocus. You don't deserve it, but it'll shut you up.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

RyokoTK posted:

I don't see how any of that is particularly bad.

I like these changes. Whatever it takes to get more people into Quake to replace the toxic 30-somethings that still play it after all these years.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I didn't really see anything in OP, but is there anything going on with the Descent/Descent 2 scene? Or would that be out of scope for this thread?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Arivia posted:

Brogramming is a real issue though. Startup culture is becoming really chauvinist and based around male models of competition, and that isn't a good thing. See Ellen Pao's lawsuit for just one example, or Shanley Kane's work.

Shanley Kane is a neo-nazi

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, it seriously took me until watching cyraptor's Duke lp to realize that you basically need the quick medkit button assigned to your mouse or somewhere quick because of how often you should be using it.

site fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 6, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BexGu posted:

I didn't really see anything in OP, but is there anything going on with the Descent/Descent 2 scene? Or would that be out of scope for this thread?
I'm not sure, to be honest. I know there's fancy source ports out there, but I don't know their scope or feature set.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arivia posted:

That's more of a Silicon Valley or Social Media company problem then general startup culture or programming culture worldwide.

Its definitely an issue, but wrong thread.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

MONKET posted:

Duke is....a total loser.

:psyduck: How did I never realize this? It all makes sense!

Something I've constantly wondered in videogames where you're one person against 100,000 badguys is whether the protagonist is really AWESOME or are the badguys just total fuckin' dopes.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

The Kins posted:

I'm not sure, to be honest. I know there's fancy source ports out there, but I don't know their scope or feature set.
There's one called DXX-Rebirth that works pretty well if you just want to play the games on modern systems with a few concessions to modernity added on. There's also one called D2X-XL that tries to add a ton of graphical bells and whistles, but that one was an awful mess the last time I tried it.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I don't think Duke3d has infighting but the damage scaling makes friendly fire hilariously devastating. Commanders at really long range especially.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LvK posted:

I don't think Duke3d has infighting but the damage scaling makes friendly fire hilariously devastating. Commanders at really long range especially.
It doesn't really have a proper infighting system. It also doesn't really have line-of-sight as much as Doom has - enemies just kind of "feel your gaze" and wake up if you see them before they see you. Or maybe Duke needs to stop wallowing around in toilet water and take a drat shower, if the aliens can smell him coming like that...

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Commander Keenan posted:

I like these changes. Whatever it takes to get more people into Quake to replace the toxic 30-somethings that still play it after all these years.

At this point the cynical side me of says that'll never happen. All of the new players in these types of games bleed off quickly. Even Quake Live's relaunch on Steam quickly reverted to the hardcore players making GBS threads things up after a few weeks.

Then again, what do I care? I only play classic FPS MP with bots these days. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MONKET posted:

I always loved how fragile Duke is in the game, and the whole tongue-in-cheek feeling that it entailed. It really felt like the developers were laughing at him behind his back the whole time, sticking "shrink me" signs onto him and firing off a few surprise explosions in his face, just humiliating him constantly to try to get him to shut up about how great he was.

The whole game, Duke is popping off stolen one-liners and feeding his monumental ego as he bumbles around urban buildings and alien spaceships. However, consistently he gets his rear end handed to him by lowly cannon fodder, and screams like a shrill girl when his health is low enough. (AKA 90% of the drat time.) It feels like he's just such a fragile egotistical idiot thinking highly of himself despite constantly getting shitcanned. I'm glad this whole concept was ported over well to Manhattan Project with the invention of his ego, which more accurately describes his whole health system.

I can't help but find it utterly ridiculous when the Ultimate Savior of Humanity and Alien Asskicker Duke Nukem has to be reduced to breaking open a toilet he just pissed in to lap up the toilet water to heal his cat scratches.

Doomguy would loving rip and tear through Duke's universe without a hassle. That fucker can take a rocket to the face and keep chugging along. Hell, Duke even needs to chug some roids just to be able to catch up with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXb9L8LW4XI

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Hmm. Haven't checked the thread in a few days. Hey, like 150 posts! That's a lot of classic FPS talk goin' on, there! Can't wait to rea-"

:yikes:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Cat Mattress posted:

Okay, you horrible people, stop posting and go download and play Hocus Pocus. You don't deserve it, but it'll shut you up.

whoa

:stwoon:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

:psyduck: How did I never realize this? It all makes sense!

Something I've constantly wondered in videogames where you're one person against 100,000 badguys is whether the protagonist is really AWESOME or are the badguys just total fuckin' dopes.

Honestly, it's one of my favorite things about Duke.
Duke is a total dork who's memorized like a million different B-movies, quotes them as frequently as a DnD tabletop group would quote Monty Python, and gets wasted on a single beer. There's one part in Manhattan project where he goes into a club and snarls "Death before disco!", but at the intermission he's doing the most hilariously pathetic dance trying to impress the crowd.
He's adorable in how cool he's trying to be, and I think that's the appeal of his character--he's the Johnny Cage of the FPS genre.

Then the newer entries in the franchise treats him like some kind of god-king of mankind and it's just :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Yeah, Duke is incredibly full of himself and has been since Duke Nukem 2. He's so vain he enjoys collecting his own merchandise. Any new Duke game needs to keep this poo poo in mind, instead of playing him completely straight.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Casual reminder that Duke wore pink and watched Oprah in his first incarnation.

By the by, I recall somebody in this thread pointing out that Turok's fog obscured how the levels looped over themselves in inherently unrealistic and ridiculous-looking fashions (like, you're in a canyon, but a later part of the level is floating above your head up high in the sky where you can't see it because pea soup). Were there any screenshots/videos illustrating that?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

He was, at least? He worked for you at some point.

I had been experiencing low FPS in software rendered ports for about a year so Blzut3 suggested I download a CPU monitor. My cooler has failed and my CPU has underclocked from 3400 MHz to 800 to avoid redlining itself. It somehow ran Wolfenstein The New Order and Rage just fine though! :shepface:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 6, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TerminusEst13 posted:

Honestly, it's one of my favorite things about Duke.
Duke is a total dork who's memorized like a million different B-movies, quotes them as frequently as a DnD tabletop group would quote Monty Python, and gets wasted on a single beer. There's one part in Manhattan project where he goes into a club and snarls "Death before disco!", but at the intermission he's doing the most hilariously pathetic dance trying to impress the crowd.
He's adorable in how cool he's trying to be, and I think that's the appeal of his character--he's the Johnny Cage of the FPS genre.

Then the newer entries in the franchise treats him like some kind of god-king of mankind and it's just :v:

So he's like the Han Solo of videogames? An enormous lovable tryhard dork who everyone thinks is the ultimate badass? :v:

Shadow Hog posted:

"Hmm. Haven't checked the thread in a few days. Hey, like 150 posts! That's a lot of classic FPS talk goin' on, there! Can't wait to rea-"

:yikes:

I'm trying! :ohdear:

It's not exactly classic FPS talk, but I am very much looking forward to Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. Probably moreso than the New Order. I really enjoyed TNO, but it was kinda missing...something in regards to its atmosphere. It didn't really feel like that sorta hokey WWII weird fiction, probably due to being set in the 60's. My favorite part of TNO was the beginning assault on Deathshead's compound. Especially when you actually get into his castle, it felt exactly like old school Wolf brought into the modern era.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

At least Duke stepped up to the plate to stop those alien bastards. By the time Duke3d starts, everyone save for a few stray hookers has evacuated and the aliens act like they own the place.

Of course Duke would be treated as a godking of mankind afterwards, he basically took on an alien invasion solo and WON.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Looks rad, tell me more :allears:

Shadow Hog posted:

By the by, I recall somebody in this thread pointing out that Turok's fog obscured how the levels looped over themselves in inherently unrealistic and ridiculous-looking fashions (like, you're in a canyon, but a later part of the level is floating above your head up high in the sky where you can't see it because pea soup). Were there any screenshots/videos illustrating that?

I remember somebody asking for this but I don't think anybody actually posted it.

Some of it though wouldn't really be clear in a screenshot, like a level which feels like one continuous space is really a series of separate floors using teleporters, things like that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Starhawk64 posted:

At least Duke stepped up to the plate to stop those alien bastards. By the time Duke3d starts, everyone save for a few stray hookers has evacuated and the aliens act like they own the place.

Of course Duke would be treated as a godking of mankind afterwards, he basically took on an alien invasion solo and WON.
And before 3d he fought them twice before and won. I think he earns the right to think of himself as badass.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Duke 3D was forever ruined for me by the fact that I got Quake 1 well before I got to try the demo of Duke 3D.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
My theory is that the Duke Nukem of I and II was a legitimate badass, but the Duke of Duke3D is one of his many bastard sons desperately trying to fill in the shoes of dear ol' dad.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Let's be honest, his enemies in the first two games weren't exactly dangerous. DN1 had like, those frog hopper dudes. And the flying drones that obliterate themselves if you so much as look in their direction. And those Master Blaster lookin' mother fuckers who didn't do anything at all.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Nintendo Kid posted:

Duke 3D was forever ruined for me by the fact that I got Quake 1 well before I got to try the demo of Duke 3D.
Yeah, it's always been a little annoying to me when people directly compare Doom and Duke3D, when Duke3D was far later. Hell, the Duke3D shareware was released less than one month before QTest.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

laserghost posted:

One of the two folks teases upcoming changes to Quake Live, and it doesn't look pretty: http://www.esreality.com/post/2725400/syncerror-teases-upcoming-features/

Other folk here, what do you not like about this? The goal is to replace the stuff that Steam does better than us (which frankly nowadays is pretty much everything) and add a few features that we've always wanted but couldn't afford the lengthy dev cycle for.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Linguica posted:

Yeah, it's always been a little annoying to me when people directly compare Doom and Duke3D, when Duke3D was far later. Hell, the Duke3D shareware was released less than one month before QTest.

It's really easy to forget this looking back, and Blood/Shadow Warrior get even more of this than Duke 3D does. Blood came out the same year as Quake 2, it's really no wonder that it sold like garbage.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

spongeh posted:

Other folk here, what do you not like about this? The goal is to replace the stuff that Steam does better than us (which frankly nowadays is pretty much everything) and add a few features that we've always wanted but couldn't afford the lengthy dev cycle for.

Because I might understood something wrong... can you expand on the DLC issue?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

spongeh posted:

i mean i dont see what the problem is i like quake live and i'd like it to be on steam and i'd like there to be gibs in.

also for people asking about the dlc thing its like, a game can be rated T, but dlc for that game can be M rated because its a seperate product, so that M rated content can be in the game but the base game can retain its T rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Selling blood and gibs for $0.50 avoids needing to get the game re-rated by the ESRB or getting it put behind an age lock on Steam.