Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fangz posted:

Right next to Donald Trump, as he types in the PIN for his bank account.

I too would like to get a good look at just how broke he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fangz posted:

Right next to Donald Trump, as he types in the PIN for his bank account.

Spoiler alert: Donald Trump is up to his eyeballs in debt.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'd rather talk about Hitler than about Donald Trump.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

JaucheCharly posted:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Someone [tell] me about the first major battle where handguns/muskets were used on a large scale.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A better strategy would be to spy on some defeated king or Roman patron or other rich guy on the run bury his gold treasure and note the location, then dig it up millennia later. You'd just need a way to relocate it somehow given the changing landscape and lack of gps.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, maybe there are a few numbered Swiss bank accounts full of Nazi gold I can find out the details of?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JaucheCharly posted:

But they didn't have ATMs and PINs in the Reich? But I like the idea of travelling through time to nick Hitler's wallet.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

But they didn't have ATMs and PINs in the Reich? But I like the idea of travelling through time to nick Hitler's wallet.

Maybe Hitler turned to evil because time travellers were harassing him all the time.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

JaucheCharly posted:

I would go back and kill Speer before he met Hitler. We don't want enablers :v: .

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

Maybe Hitler turned to evil because time travellers were harassing him all the time.

Maybe Hitler was a time traveller :shrug:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I don't think Hitler ever though anything he did was evil

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hitler killed Hitler.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

I don't think Hitler ever though anything he did was evil

He definitely knew a lot of people thought it was wrong, including a lot of Germans and even some Nazis, which is enough.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'd see exactly what kind of drugs Ferdinand Porsche and Edward Grote were on.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Hitler killed Hitler.

Eh, we've done that routine already.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'd see exactly what kind of drugs Ferdinand Porsche and Edward Grote were on.

It's what the kids call fire these days.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

http://wardscore.loltools.net/?name=Beluga%20Mariachi&region=na

I'm getting there, I'm getting there...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hogge Wild posted:

For content, I'd go back to experience some cultural event that is completely outside our ability to reproduce. Mozart playing a concert or something like that.

Either that or go back to sit in on the committee that drew up the Oregon state flag. I've always wanted to know how the gently caress someone thought it important enough to put a goddamned golden beaver on the flip side of it. Totally normal flag, turn it over and there's a giant, golden, aquatic rodent.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

For content, I'd go back to experience some cultural event that is completely outside our ability to reproduce. Mozart playing a concert or something like that.

A speech by Cicero or the funeral oration of Pericles or something would be interesting.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Jurgen must be pretty loving fast on the bolt to go "krak krak" on his Kar98k.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Part of the reason I want to go back to try to pick up pre-Columbian linguistics is because it'd be something incredibly lucrative but also because it'd be something that'd pretty quickly show that it worked and back itself up. Any idea on how not to become another theory on the subject even if you're right?

You do realize that there are still huge Maya, Nahua, and, well, basically pick an indigenous language communities still around, right? Like you don't even need to go to Mexico, LA has Tarascan and Nahua cultural events all the time.

Also, I might land on a Spanish treasure ship (that I know hasn't been found) steer it of course somewhere, take navigational readings of where I'm at and then scuttle it. Go back to present time and find it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Lots of WWI re-enactment photos including functional vehicle replicas.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I quite like the look of those old armoured cars.

EDIT: Wow, that is one goony looking French soldier.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 6, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lots of WWI re-enactment photos including functional vehicle replicas.

The first picture of a guy trying to avoid getting his boots dirty, while re-enacting a war best known for its muddy misery sends huge irony flags.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

MrYenko posted:

The first picture of a guy trying to avoid getting his boots dirty, while re-enacting a war best known for its muddy misery sends huge irony flags.

There is also a distinct lack of any sort of trench.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It occurs to me that the great thing about WW1 re-enactments is that it doesn't matter if you're out of shape, since the conscript forces would presumably have included a reasonably healthy group of middle-aged reservists who haven't really kept up with their exercises.

After having my interest piqued by all those images of the armored car, I went to look it up and ended up with an image of what may be the world's first technical.

I also learned that the Belgians apparently sent an expeditionary force of armored cars to Russia, which fought with distinction and ended up getting stranded during the Civil War and blowing their cars to prevent their capture by Bolsheviks. Sounds like the perfect setup for a movie.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Gee, thanks for reminding me that 1914 is still missing something on Samson, the loony who got sent to France as a RNAS airman, but didn't have enough planes to do anything useful, so spent many useful weeks in September and October routing around Flanders in armoured cars to stop the Germans marching through Ypres before the cavalry could get there. :argh: (He's since gone to the Dardanelles and is personally trying to do recon in one of the few serviceable planes without flying it apart.)

100 Years Ago

4th April: Captain Hudelle of the French Army proves himself to be one of those evil militant atheists that modern-day Americans are so scared of, the German Sapper is right in the way of the French diversionary attack at Vauquois, Louis Barthas plays rugby just behind the fire trench, and the reloading operation at Alexandria is finally coming to an end.

5th April: The German Sapper uses some Teutonic ingenuity to bring up ammunition while under heavy fire, his mate threatens a sergeant-major with violence to stop him getting them all killed, the French attack Les Eparges once more. Meanwhile, in the Ottoman Empire, the Armenians are being targeted with a spectacular Catch-22 in order to manufacture evidence that they're about to launch a popular rebellion.

6th April: You'll no doubt be shocked and appalled to hear that the attack on Les Eparges hasn't gone particularly well. Kitchener's Army continues its journey towards soldierhood by making up obscene songs about Tickler's Jam, the German Sapper belches a large number of hand grenades at an annoying French machine gun, the Friendly Feldwebel returns to the Devil's Hole and is immediately ordered to prepare to attack, and the senior British commanders in the Mediterranean are squabbling like cats in a sack.

Tomn posted:

It occurs to me that the great thing about WW1 re-enactments is that it doesn't matter if you're out of shape, since the conscript forces would presumably have included a reasonably healthy group of middle-aged reservists who haven't really kept up with their exercises.

Not just the conscript forces! August 1914 British accounts are full of stories from the regulars about old sweats being recalled to the colours, telling a succession of ever-more-ridiculous stories, and then suffering mightily as soon as the marching starts.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Rabhadh posted:

This is why reddit is so poo poo for history, you have these absolute dopes who feel they're right about all these things just because they can bury any dissenting opinions.

Pages back, but figured I'd mention, the Ask Historians subreddit has been overwhelmingly good, most of the time.

The main history one though, jesus christ it's terrible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trin Tragula posted:

Gee, thanks for reminding me that 1914 is still missing something on Samson, the loony who got sent to France as a RNAS airman, but didn't have enough planes to do anything useful, so spent many useful weeks in September and October routing around Flanders in armoured cars to stop the Germans marching through Ypres before the cavalry could get there. :argh: (He's since gone to the Dardanelles and is personally trying to do recon in one of the few serviceable planes without flying it apart.)

This would be Charles Rumney Samson, Britain's first naval aviator. First Brit to take off in a plane from a ship.

America did it first, though. :smug:

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit
Was kindly directed to this thread by PittTheElder, as well as given a nice, general consensus on Medieval warfare.

"Medieval warfare in particular was dominated by siege warfare, mostly because battles were so risky. With the limited resources at the disposal of most western European rulers, a single defeat would be so damaging that you'd never want to openly fight unless you have to, or because you have a clear advantage and you can manage to force your opponent to give battle somehow. Much of the warfare in the period was conducted through small scale action and siege actions all over the place. Come talk about it in the Mil-Hist thread."

Compared to Medieval history then, were sieges much less common in Ancient History? Were battles like Carthage, with tens of thousands of belligerents, the norm or perhaps it was an outlier for the time.

Medieval/Ancient history newb here!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

drat, Meade's got an awesome memorial sculpture in DC.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

Also, I might land on a Spanish treasure ship (that I know hasn't been found) steer it of course somewhere, take navigational readings of where I'm at and then scuttle it. Go back to present time and find it.
I was going to say that you shouldn't ruin their state budget for that year, but then I remembered that you could do them no worse damage than they did to themselves.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Spain has successfully sued to get sunken treasure returned, so best to keep it on the down low.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

P-Mack posted:

Spain has successfully sued to get sunken treasure returned, so best to keep it on the down low.

What was their argument? "That was ours when it sank 400 years ago and the state entity which had claim to it has long since disappeared for a variety of reasons and those coins aren't even going to be considered legal tender but since it was us at the time we claim that loot" or more of a national history antiquities thing?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pages back, but figured I'd mention, the Ask Historians subreddit has been overwhelmingly good, most of the time.

The main history one though, jesus christ it's terrible.

Speaking of that, I just looked into it and there's a Jesus or bible question on like every page.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

esn2500 posted:

Compared to Medieval history then, were sieges much less common in Ancient History? Were battles like Carthage, with tens of thousands of belligerents, the norm or perhaps it was an outlier for the time.

That's a tough question given that 'ancient history' covers so many diverse cultures over such a large span of time. Consider that this:

was built around the same time as these:

(no, not the scaffolds next to the Sphinx... those are from a later era)

We are chronologically as close to Roman Republic as those guys were. Even if we narrow this down to a specific era and culture it's not easy to say what the norm used to be as any figures at all are hard to find and all figures by contemporaries or near-contemporaries (hey, a guy writing about an event 300 years before him is nearly an eye witness, right?!) need to be scrutinized carefully.

But we can tell that battles the size of Carthage weren't unheard of at least during the Roman era. Cannae and Alesia are around that scale, as is Gaugamela (Macedonia vs Persia). Sieges also happened all the time, eg. Caesar's double siege in Alesia or Alexander's siege of Tyre, but how common they were must have varied greatly and depended on campaign, ditto how long such sieges would last. People didn't build walls around towns, or in the case of Athens around the road from the city to the port, or flee to hard to reach retreats like Masada, just to increase the feeling of togetherness. In all likelihood we will never have a full picture of this. Think of the siege of Mount Sinjar in Syria recently: people have sought refuge from places like that throughout history but there seldom has been anyone to even write a footnote about their fates. If they perish, woe is unto them. If they survive they resume life after the raiders have gone away.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

What was their argument? "That was ours when it sank 400 years ago and the state entity which had claim to it has long since disappeared for a variety of reasons and those coins aren't even going to be considered legal tender but since it was us at the time we claim that loot" or more of a national history antiquities thing?

Legal continuity of states has been a thing for a long time, mostly so people couldn't just say "Lol we're now a republic/monarchy/theocratic communist people's meritocracy, all the past treaties our country made are null and void and so is our debt, later guys!"

It's only fair that applies to other topics as well. Plus, you know, cultural heritage and stuff. Imagine if it wasn't a Spanish treasure ship but a ship from the Empire of Mali and modern day Mali would very much like to have that stuff for their own museums instead of seeing it sold on the open market.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FAUXTON posted:

The cargo in question was aboard a Spanish warship sunk in international waters which due to various laws and treaties had sovereign immunity from arrest by US courts.

Odyssey Marine Exploration, Inc. v. Unidentified Shipwrecked Vessel, 657 F.3d 1159 (11th Cir. 2011) cert. denied, 132 S. Ct. 2379 (2012).
Brief.
Full Text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiqAAuoL3_A

A friend got this declassified. Not super exciting but still! For the truly arcane nerds there's a report that goes with this that I'll post as soon as he scans it.

• Locked thread