Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Tom morrow, I become an even more hateful Libertarian rear end in a top hat appealing to the Tea Party"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Republican Primaries are going to be loving amazing. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Jeb Bush, Cotton maybe?

loving fantastic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Will he have a catchy song like his father?

I'm sure they are trying to find one that ironically espouses the exact opposite positions as Rand that will also result in the artist asking for the Paul campaign to stop using the song.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

The Republican Primaries are going to be loving amazing. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Jeb Bush, Cotton maybe?

loving fantastic.
I wish I knew what the Dems' was going to look like other than Hillary Hillary Hillary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish I knew what the Dems' was going to look like other than Hillary Hillary Hillary.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If Obama works a 'the next six months will be critical' into it I'll bump his presidential ranking above Lincoln.

So he'll be even more hated among Republicans than he already is? :v:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

hobbesmaster posted:

Will he have a catchy song like his father?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

loving fantastic.

What about Scott Walker? Or he too busy pissing on the ashes of Wisconsin still?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Defeat the Washington machine. Unleash the American dream.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

What about Scott Walker? Or he too busy pissing on the ashes of Wisconsin still?

walker will be a very boring debate presence compared to the rest of the field.

he will cower in one corner while Very Serious NeoConservative Man frantically tries to fend off the various foaming-at-the-mouth attack dogs. Scott Walker don't really register when you've got a Paul, ted cruz, huckabee, santorum, carson, carly fiorina, chris cristy

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Jim Webb baby.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/run-2016/2014/12/30/whats-driving-jim-webbs-potential-bid-for-president-in-2016

And my favorite quote about Jim Webb:

quote:

“His constituency is people who feel like they’re getting screwed,”

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 6, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

I love Twitter for its ease in getting people to say stupid things and let it proliferate.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
This is going to be an amazing primary season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

I love Twitter for its ease in getting people to say stupid things and let it proliferate.

Rubin has the WaPo oped page for that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:drat:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

VitalSigns posted:

Time value of money refers to the fact that it is almost always preferable to have money now rather than later. The poor should (and do) rationally apply an even greater discount rate than the affluent because as you note, penalties and late fees on bills are going to exceed any potential gains from investing that money.

So it's not "you should always lock up your money in investments, poors", it's actually the opposite. It's "only lock your money away if the returns you get exceed the benefits of having use of your money right now". For affluent people that's true, and they can benefit from investment. For the poor, they can't do this because the money is critical right now. One of the many traps of our system that keep the poor impoverished.
Awesome, thank you for the clarification!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Remains the scariest goddamn song in that show.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

quote:

“He’s been thinking about it since 2013,” says Dave “Mudcat” Saunders, a Democratic political hand in Virginia who says he chats or emails with Webb several times each week. “He thinks – deep, deep, deep, deep thinker. The guy’s regal, man. He’s a drat hero. I’m doing whatever I can to help him.”

:suspense: oh god i love southern democrats

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

:stare:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

PupsOfWar posted:

:suspense: oh god i love southern democrats

I know, they're so ridiculous.

They did make an interesting point there that a lot of Democratic hopefuls are waiting for Hilary to announce or not because so much of the money is waiting on Hilary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Judith MIller has a new oped in the WSJ about :qq:

quote:

Years would pass before U.S. soldiers found remnants of some 5,000 inoperable chemical munitions made before the first Gulf War that Saddam claimed to have destroyed. Not until 2014 would the U.S. learn that some of Iraq’s degraded sarin nerve agent was purer than Americans had expected and was sickening Iraqi and American soldiers who had stumbled upon it.

By then, however, most Americans had concluded that no such weapons existed. These were not new chemical arms, to be sure, but Saddam Hussein’s refusal to account for their destruction was among the reasons the White House cited as justification for war.

It's all lolworthy but especially the assertion that degraded chemical weapons that the Bush administration knew about before the fact but determined that they would not be a useful argument in favor of invading Iraq were the WMDs we were after.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

It's all lolworthy but especially the assertion that degraded chemical weapons that the Bush administration knew about before the fact but determined that they would not be a useful argument in favor of invading Iraq were the WMDs we were after.

The WMD's were Iranian. We succeeded at forcing them to halt their WMD programs. Now, in order to preserve the dignity of the United States, our duly elected Congress must force Iran to own up to their past weapons programs before any sanctions relief is applied.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

whitey delenda est posted:

is this what the news used to be like??

Absolutely not.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uhhhh

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
They meant to say "There's no 'I' in Hillary Clinton.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

quote:

But relying on the mistakes of others and errors of judgment are not the same as lying.

Ah, the "I'm not a liar, I'm just terrible at my job" defense.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

The WMD's were Iranian. We succeeded at forcing them to halt their WMD programs. Now, in order to preserve the dignity of the United States, our duly elected Congress must force Iran to own up to their past weapons programs before any sanctions relief is applied.
I like your jaded yellow dog Democrat character more than your hawkish Zionist one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Ah, the "I'm not a liar, I'm just terrible at my job" defense.

It's like she saw all the controversy over the RS piece and was like, hey, you think THAT'S questionable journalism?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ted Cruz is going to loving destroy in those debates. Seriously, I'm not joking. He's a trained debater and a really really good lawyer. He's insane and I disagree with everything he stands for because he's a goddamn sociopath but he's a good debater.

There's no one in the debates that's been announced so far that is even in the same ballpark of his skill.

Ted Cruz is terrifying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah presidential debates aren't really about "good arguments" or "skill".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

I like your jaded yellow dog Democrat character more than your hawkish Zionist one

...yellow dog democrat? Is that some kinda race thing?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hollismason posted:

Ted Cruz is going to loving destroy in those debates. Seriously, I'm not joking. He's a trained debater and a really really good lawyer. He's insane and I disagree with everything he stands for because he's a goddamn sociopath but he's a good debater.

Now I am not going to outright say that Ted Cruz is the anti-Christ, but he was born of occultist parentage that regularly performed ritual sacrifices. Makes you think.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Hollismason posted:

It's always possible that he could come off totally smug and unlikable in those debates, right?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was thinking more in terms of how badly and non chalantly Ted Cruz has no problem at all selling out his party for his own personal goals.

I'm specifically talking about the Republican primaries.

Yeah, he is kind of a smug piece of poo poo and can come off that way but he will make everyone else look like a fool.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

Basically someone willing to vote the Democratic party line regardless of the situation, to the point where they'd vote for a yellow dog instead of a Republican if the dog was running as a Dem.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't wait for the primaries because one way or another the "Ted Cruz is a super genius and a master debater" thing being true will be settled.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's an old-school term that basically means straight-ticket partisan (used to describe good-ol' boy Democrats of the South before realignment).

Edit: Goddamn you, JT Jag.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kill all dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hollismason posted:

I was thinking more in terms of how badly and non chalantly Ted Cruz has no problem at all selling out his party for his own personal goals.

I'm specifically talking about the Republican primaries.

Yeah, he is kind of a smug piece of poo poo and can come off that way but he will make everyone else look like a fool.
Yeah, it feels like that was his idea all along too.

Has anyone dug up recordings of his old debates? I'm sure he's had to do some political debating since he ran for senator, and I'd be interested to see how he does in those.

• Locked thread