Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Like 60% through the game or so, you can get an optional Monado art from a sidequest, called Monado Armour. This is useful for ether arts as well as party-wide (rather than single-target) physical arts, since it's a party-wide percentage damage reduction. Until then, Shulk can't do too much about ether arts - but as mentioned, a. you don't see them all that often in visions in comparison, b. they're usually not as threatening in the first place, and c. there are other people besides Shulk who could possibly bust out a more useful response.

Also, you can totally level up every art to max if you really want to (though the AP costs get pretty beefy). It's not like you stop getting AP or SP when you hit the level cap. The issue at hand is more that you get normal AP/SP for killing enemies near your level, bonus if they're above your level, penalty if they're below your level. If you blast your way to the level cap (or even do some powerleveling things like having Melia kick level 70+ mobs off cliffs in Bionis' Leg, or hell, even just excessive sidequesting), you'll find that most of the things you're actually fighting will be below your level, thereby penalizing you. But there will always exist things at least around your level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
The latest series of tweets have confirmed an aesthetic-only clothing option for after the 'ending' (of the main story, I'm guessing), and implying that you may be able to change your avatar after the beginning.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Well the replies has the same idea as me. Why leave that until after you've experienced every major cutscene the game has to offer? Not much point in coordinating your gear when there's no cutscenes to make use of it. NG+?

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/584989514487070721

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
We all went too far with mixing underwear, hipster glasses and cosmic drama in Xenoblade.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Hello Makna...

:fap:

The only thing better than playing fashion dress up and shipping your party is megaheating kick rear end gems

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 6, 2015

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I'm a hardcore WRPG fan. Like, I'd campaign Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone to be canonized if they were catholic. I'm gorging myself on Pillars of Eternity as we speak.

For some reason Xenoblades really intrigues me. I swore off JRPGs after the umpteenth Final Fantasy starred yet another metrosexual teen protagonist. I hate grinding. I hate incomprehensible JRPG plotlines. But Xenoblade has a really interesting setting and I've heard countless good things. I'm seriously considering grabbing this game with a new 3ds XL.

As a WRPG devotee, is there anything about this game I'll really love?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The fact that this game defies pretty much every single JRPG problem in the last decade of JRPGs

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

NTT posted:

The fact that this game defies pretty much every single JRPG problem in the last decade of JRPGs

The story is also pretty badass and the world is fully explorable on a scale i've never encountered in an RPG before.

Oh and the combat system is fairly deep.

Basically, if you like taking a guy with a sword from level 1 to 100, you wont find a better game to do it in.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Consumables are a thing of the past since you fully recover all HP/status effects after every fight, fast travel to important locations in every zone is available immediately, british voice acting is surprisingly great, battle system is fun and enjoyable, you have unreal amounts of sidequesting and XP gains are weighted relative to what you're fighting so if you ever feel like grinding its usually just grinding out 1 level because the odds of the enemy hitting you are directly tied to your agility/level. Mastery of gameplay elements lets you take huge shortcuts, you can literally just do sidequests for XP and never have to grind for a challenging fight ever again, the game has like 100+ gameplay hours, The loving Monado, Legend of Dragoon style active battle QTEs, save whenever you want, no game overs, Literally Level up from falling to your death

play xenoblade

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Radio Talmudist posted:

So I'm a hardcore WRPG fan. Like, I'd campaign Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone to be canonized if they were catholic. I'm gorging myself on Pillars of Eternity as we speak.

For some reason Xenoblades really intrigues me. I swore off JRPGs after the umpteenth Final Fantasy starred yet another metrosexual teen protagonist. I hate grinding. I hate incomprehensible JRPG plotlines. But Xenoblade has a really interesting setting and I've heard countless good things. I'm seriously considering grabbing this game with a new 3ds XL.

If you're sick of typical JRPG protagonists, I think you'll appreciate Shulk, yeah. Actually, character motivations in Xenoblade Chronicles in general are pretty understandable and Not Stupid. The plot is... all kinds of mindfuck, but in a good way!

Grinding doesn't really happen, since the game vomits EXP at you in the form of dozens (maybe hundreds?) of side quests, and even gives you EXP for exploration. You have no MP; your skills are on a cooldown. There are no inns, or potions. Your health regenerates whenever you're not in battle. You can fast travel to any major location. If you die, you just get sent back to the last Landmark you passed, which will cost you a few minutes of your time. If that.

Oh and also the voice acting is delightfully British and it's the best thing.

Basically yeah, if JRPGs have driven you crazy in the past, Xenoblade is for you!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Radio Talmudist posted:

Probably the fact that it's completely real time, with no random turn based encounters.

Also the idea that monster, item and challenge quests you complete automatically reward you on the spot, so you don't need to return to the dude who gave you the quest to get the reward from it. Sidequests involving named NPCs don't do that, but they've got their own storylines so whatever.

Oh, and there's a huge amount of customization in the gear, and the armour and weapons will actually be equipped on your characters, even in cutscenes.

Honestly the game plays far more like a WRPG than a typical JRPG, but it's still got enough of a JRPG in it to be completely different from basically anything you'd play on PC. One example would be the plot, which, unlike WRPG's, has less to do with politics and backstabbing and more to do with individuals fighting impossible odds and BURNING PASSION!

If I were to compare this game to, say, Witcher 2, then the main differences would be having additional characters in your party rather than just one dude for the whole game, the world map being loving huge and a joy to explore, combat being more automatic but also more involved since you need to pay attention to things like positioning and what your other party members are doing, quests from NPC's being both less involved (the rando quests that auto-reward you in the field) and more involved (the affinity quests, Colony 6), and rewards are so bountiful that you're more or less constantly upgrading your equipment and mixing around gems and characters in your party for the whole game, which makes combat feel very dynamic as you learn the ins and outs of each character and how they all work together.

Also, I suggest you collect pretty much every sidequest in the game but only complete the ones you feel motivated to complete. There are tons of quests and trying to do them all will burn you out.

It's great, go play it.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 6, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Also don't go overboard on side quests because there are a lot and a lot of it is time related and stuff like that and you'll find yourself in a cycle of sidequests and oh god it will never stop.

It's a great game if you manage sidequest to mainquest ratio imo

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That's true; I like to burn through the main quest for a bit, then as soon as hit the zone boss, I just sidequest as far back as I can, trying to be methodical with it, until I feel like fighting the boss that is in front of me. I enjoy backtracking a lot too because more often than not you'll find a monster thats 3 or 4 levels higher than you but ISNT a story boss so its a nice test of your ability to fight to try to kill a unique boss monster a few levels higher than you.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
A lot of times in games it feels like your objectives are just being dictated to you by a third party, but this game does a really good job at making you feel like the protagonist and friends are taking their adventure by the horns and making these decisions by themselves, and it was a really refreshing change of pace.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Everyone's said good things about this game already so I don't really have a point to this post other than to repeat that the game is all types of great.

Davinci posted:

A lot of times in games it feels like your objectives are just being dictated to you by a third party, but this game does a really good job at making you feel like the protagonist and friends are taking their adventure by the horns and making these decisions by themselves, and it was a really refreshing change of pace.

Every character has a huge stake in the adventure too, even when their recruitment quest ends, which really helps make them all feel important. Except maybe Riki, but who doesn't want a Heropon getting their back? Riki is friend to friends!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yeah Riki is obvious comic relief which is fine

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Riki is fighting so that his Littlepons will continue being fed. He is a good father with a noble cause to join our adventure. :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Riki is Team Dad #2 and is great at it

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The only time it swings back to the bad side of JRPG standards is when Shulk finds out who Metal Face is. As insane as the late game will get, that's where the likeable protagonist kind of goes off the deep end of insufferable dumb rear end developing a strange knee-jerk pacifism.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I need to get around to finally playing XC.

Quick question though. Are there sidequests that you can get locked out of if you don't do them early enough? And, if so, is there a list of them somewhere?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Quick question though. Are there sidequests that you can get locked out of if you don't do them early enough? And, if so, is there a list of them somewhere?

Nearly all of the perma-missable ones are in a single area, that area being the kingdom of Alcamoth. Most of those sidequests are also goddamn terrible and can be safely skipped, with the exception of one or two that are part of a much longer, game-spanning chain.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yes, and you don't really need a list because it's pretty much 2 blocks of quests and they will tell you which are timed. I believe the game will even tell you when you're going past the point of no return for both blocks that you're doing so. It's a non-issue.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

TheMadMilkman posted:

Time sensitive sidequests will have a clock symbol next to them in the log. No need to check any lists or anything, unless you're planning for a 100% run or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oops!

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 7, 2015

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Xenoblade 3DS has hooks for DLC quests, apparently.

Speaking of is it worth grabbing the 3DS version or should I just try and use Dolphin?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jesus Christ. When I think of games that could use more content Xenoblade isn't anywhere near that list.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

What do you mean by hooks? I wasn't going to pick it up since it'd be my third time through but if they add in DLC..

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sorry, I misread - it's Xenoblade X that'll be getting paid DLC quests, which we pretty much already knew.

Anyway, while I was looking up, I found this. Is it news?

quote:

In the original game, auto-attacks worked on a fixed-point system. Depending on your level, your auto-attack would range between two different numbers, the lowest amount of damage possible for your level and the highest possible. For example, Shulk has an auto-attack range of 1200 to 1600 points. The problem is, a bug never made it possible to dish out more than 1299 points of damage. This bug took the lowest base damage and added 99 points to the value every time. That means you could never hit the 1600 point value without critical or special attacks.

The 3DS version has remedied this issue, making it possible to deal out somewhere within the full range of your character's abilities. This means you could use your auto attack and hit 1600 points, 1200 points or anywhere inbetween.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Not just auto-attacks, it applied to anything that used weapon damage in the formula (which is basically everything offensive that isn't flat-rate fixed damage). Granted, some things are multipliers on weapon damage, so instead of 100-199 you'd get 3 * (100-199) or 300-597, or whatever.

But yes, max weapon damage was absolutely capped at min weapon damage + 99 (or listed max weapon damage, if that's closer than 99 points from the min). Being a bug, this wasn't documented anywhere in the UI, so the game absolutely made it look like you could bust out a bigger range of damage than you actually could.

If that's fixed in the N3DS version, that's pleasant news to me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Riki is Team Dad #2 and is great at it

He's giving parenting advice to other party members. Riki is #1. :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Is there any way to guarantee a weather change if a monster only appears during a storm?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Stormgale posted:

Speaking of is it worth grabbing the 3DS version or should I just try and use Dolphin?

Try using Dolphin. If you can get it running full speed with no audio glitches it becomes a loving beautiful game, but if the frame rate doesn't get up to full or the audio likes to stutter alot, it'd probably be a better idea to get the Wii or 3DS versions. I've just started a replay on my new HDTV and honestly, it's still a great looking game.

Vil posted:

Not just auto-attacks, it applied to anything that used weapon damage in the formula (which is basically everything offensive that isn't flat-rate fixed damage). Granted, some things are multipliers on weapon damage, so instead of 100-199 you'd get 3 * (100-199) or 300-597, or whatever.

But yes, max weapon damage was absolutely capped at min weapon damage + 99 (or listed max weapon damage, if that's closer than 99 points from the min). Being a bug, this wasn't documented anywhere in the UI, so the game absolutely made it look like you could bust out a bigger range of damage than you actually could.

If that's fixed in the N3DS version, that's pleasant news to me.

That's great news! It'll be interesting to see if this affects the game's pacing at all, since you'll actually be able to hit harder than in the original game.

Also, which other stat was glitched? I think it was Ether? Ether Defense? I can't remember...

Motto posted:

Is there any way to guarantee a weather change if a monster only appears during a storm?

Change the time with the menu clock. Doesn't matter what to. Weather has a random chance of changing when you do. After you get the desired effect, save your game in the area the monster is supposed to spawn. Reloading your game should get you the same weather effect and will randomly respawn the monster. Note this only really matters if you've already beaten it once before, if it's your first encounter it should always show up at the right spot with the right weather.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 7, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Oxxidation posted:

Nearly all of the perma-missable ones are in a single area, that area being the kingdom of Alcamoth. Most of those sidequests are also goddamn terrible and can be safely skipped, with the exception of one or two that are part of a much longer, game-spanning chain.

There are a few sidequests that have different ways of completing them, too, and sometimes those options can lead into another small sidequest. It happens pretty rarely, though; I can only really think of a couple examples and I only remember them because I looked through the list of quests on the wikia and saw some I'd never gotten and found out why.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

There are a few sidequests that have different ways of completing them, too, and sometimes those options can lead into another small sidequest. It happens pretty rarely, though; I can only really think of a couple examples and I only remember them because I looked through the list of quests on the wikia and saw some I'd never gotten and found out why.

I think this only happens for sidequests that have a vision attached to them, (not counting the visions you get for collecting a future fetch quest item). Also, in addition to what Shadow Ninja said, some of the completion methods will also give you more or less affinity for that particular zone, so if you're particular about that sort of stuff then you may want to look that quest up when you come across it or maybe even ask about it here..

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I think I'll do a blind playthrough and then play it again with a 100% guide. Probably the safest way to see everything but still enjoy the first play as much as possible.

Or maybe a blind playthrough on the wii and a 100% on the 3ds after I buy a new one.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I think I'll do a blind playthrough and then play it again with a 100% guide. Probably the safest way to see everything but still enjoy the first play as much as possible.

Or maybe a blind playthrough on the wii and a 100% on the 3ds after I buy a new one.

That sounds like the best. Just experience the story the way you want and don't stress those side quests.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'd forgotten just how good Xenoblade was.

I'd also forgotten just how many different systems the game has going on. Gems, arts, affinities (party, npc and locations), landmarks, sidequests, monster hunts, collectibles, materials, all with a day/night cycle and variable weather). It's kind of wonderful and absurd at the same time.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 7, 2015

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Don't forget Skill links and skill trees

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Silver Falcon posted:

If you're sick of typical JRPG protagonists, I think you'll appreciate Shulk, yeah. Actually, character motivations in Xenoblade Chronicles in general are pretty understandable and Not Stupid. The plot is... all kinds of mindfuck, but in a good way!

Grinding doesn't really happen, since the game vomits EXP at you in the form of dozens (maybe hundreds?) of side quests, and even gives you EXP for exploration. You have no MP; your skills are on a cooldown. There are no inns, or potions. Your health regenerates whenever you're not in battle. You can fast travel to any major location. If you die, you just get sent back to the last Landmark you passed, which will cost you a few minutes of your time. If that.

Oh and also the voice acting is delightfully British and it's the best thing.

Basically yeah, if JRPGs have driven you crazy in the past, Xenoblade is for you!

Sadly the plot is pretty bog standard JRPG for the last third of the game or so. As a WRPG fan you'll probably really enjoy how it mostly subverts your expectations for the genre for a while, only to be sorely disappointed by the ending. It's still really fun overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
or you can just enjoy the video game instead of sperging about it

• Locked thread