Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This is a sad day. My 2013 Moto G got 5.1 before my Nexus 4. Haven't had it enough to find out if processes don't get killed when they shouldn't, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Supcase has a bumper case with a clear back that can help protect the leather.

EDIT: You can also get it on Amazon for a slightly cheaper price (and it's Prime eligible, if you have it).

Thanks, but I'm looking for one with no back at all, just the edges.

I want the leather to slowly get a few scuffs and to get worn in from oils on my hands, etc...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

enojy posted:

Do you have auto-backup to Google+ and/or location services enabled in the camera's settings? That's the first thing that comes to mind.

Yes, but you'd hope that wouldn't cause the camera to crash before it even saves the photo locally.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

hooah posted:

This is a sad day. My 2013 Moto G got 5.1 before my Nexus 4. Haven't had it enough to find out if processes don't get killed when they shouldn't, though.

Your 2013 Moto G got 5.1 before your 2012 Nexus 4?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

Yes, the GPE Moto G got 5.1 and the Nexus 4 has not.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I don't know if this is the right spot to ask, but...

So I accidentally butt-texted a contact and I tried deleting the message but it deleted all the messages I sent to my contact (how stupid of me I know). Is there a way to recover that stuff without rooting or am I SOL and this is a "now I know what not to do next time" situation?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Yes, the GPE Moto G got 5.1 and the Nexus 4 has not.

:thejoke:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

. Is there a way to recover that stuff without rooting or am I SOL and this is a "now I know what not to do next time" situation?

You're SOL this time.

Take it as a lesson to start regularly backing up anything you actually care about.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I don't know if this is the right spot to ask, but...

So I accidentally butt-texted a contact and I tried deleting the message but it deleted all the messages I sent to my contact (how stupid of me I know). Is there a way to recover that stuff without rooting or am I SOL and this is a "now I know what not to do next time" situation?
You should be using something like SMS Backup+ to upload and make searchable all your SMS to GMail but failing that, no, unless you were running regular backups with some backup app they are gone forever.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

You should be using something like SMS Backup+ to upload and make searchable all your SMS to GMail but failing that, no, unless you were running regular backups with some backup app they are gone forever.

drat.

Oh well it was just minor stuff anyway.

EDIT: Turns out I have a backup app so it's yay.

EDIT 2: I'm gonna back my texts up more often now.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 5, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-galaxy-s6-edge-battery-life-tests/

Battery is better than the S5 in most respects. Get the S6 if you're getting a new phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

drat.

Oh well it was just minor stuff anyway.

EDIT: Turns out I have a backup app so it's yay.

EDIT 2: I'm gonna back my texts up more often now.
Try that app I recommended. You can set it to upload like five minutes after the last text so it isn't constantly hammering your connection when you're in a back-and-forth conversation, then it's absolutely painless to just go to the GMail app (or the site if you're at a computer) and search if you need specific information from a conversation later. It even properly threads them. It's a wonderful utility that should be built into Hangouts but inexplicably isn't.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Try that app I recommended. You can set it to upload like five minutes after the last text so it isn't constantly hammering your connection when you're in a back-and-forth conversation, then it's absolutely painless to just go to the GMail app (or the site if you're at a computer) and search if you need specific information from a conversation later. It even properly threads them. It's a wonderful utility that should be built into Hangouts but inexplicably isn't.

I'll try that, thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

this_is_hard posted:

I know one's a year older than the other, but it seemed assumed that the N4 would get 5.1. It still might, and Motorola has been doing well with updating phones' software, but it's still surprising to me that a non-flagship beat a Nexus (again?).

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

hooah posted:

I know one's a year older than the other, but it seemed assumed that the N4 would get 5.1. It still might, and Motorola has been doing well with updating phones' software, but it's still surprising to me that a non-flagship beat a Nexus (again?).

Nexus phones have 18 months of guaranteed support. The N4 has had that and then some. That's not to say it won't get 5.1, but whether it does or not is up to Google.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
If the 2012 N7 got it, it's a safe bet the N4 will.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My N5 still hasn't gotten 5.1 OTA so I don't know what the gently caress

e:hey there it is

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 6, 2015

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Part two of anandtech's HTC M9 review

http://anandtech.com/show/9137/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-2

That conclusion. drat it HTC. Luckily I'm still in love with my M7.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Part two of anandtech's HTC M9 review

http://anandtech.com/show/9137/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-2

That conclusion. drat it HTC. Luckily I'm still in love with my M7.

So glad I went with the S6.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yikes. This might do it for HTC. Thanks for the M7, it was amazing at the time and still looks incredible.

:smith:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
You had one loving job HTC, and when you had a near-hit on your hands you decide to go run with it all the way into the ground.

At least with all of this the M10 is guaranteed to be different, assuming it is released at all.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
$189 for a new, unlocked 32GB LG G2 with AT&T bands: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-G2-Latest-Model-32GB-GSM-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone-Brand-New/171569243169

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Could someone recommend a screen protector for a Nexus 5? The one I have cracked. I got the phone used so I'm not sure what it is but I like it a lot. It's one of the glass ones.

Looking on Amazon maybe Tech Armor or intelliGLASS?

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
I have an upgrade coming this or next week. With all the stuff I've seen about the M9, I'm guessing I should just go with an M8 instead then? I really like the One's design and feature set, but the M9 is seeming really disappointing. The only real positive I see is Sense 7, and that's coming on the M8 anyway right?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gotenks0053 posted:

I have an upgrade coming this or next week. With all the stuff I've seen about the M9, I'm guessing I should just go with an M8 instead then? I really like the One's design and feature set, but the M9 is seeming really disappointing. The only real positive I see is Sense 7, and that's coming on the M8 anyway right?

Go for the M8. If you want something else that's flashy and new the S6 isn't a bad choice.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
My buddy apparently just demolished his Droid Maxx screen. He doesn't have insurance through Verizon or whatever. He's not very technical/handy so I think him replacing the screen on it's own is out of the question. What are his options for getting the screen fixed? I don't think he's had the phone for a year yet, but probably more than 6 months.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Is the LG G2 comparable to the nexus 4, or the nexus 5?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Require More Fire posted:

My buddy apparently just demolished his Droid Maxx screen. He doesn't have insurance through Verizon or whatever. He's not very technical/handy so I think him replacing the screen on it's own is out of the question. What are his options for getting the screen fixed? I don't think he's had the phone for a year yet, but probably more than 6 months.

Motorola will do it for about $179.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Is the LG G2 comparable to the nexus 4, or the nexus 5?

Nexus 5 except it has a way better camera and battery

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I've got my droid turbo and I'm trying to figure out how to increase the battery life. I downloaded the Battery Doctor App and it seems to be able to identify and turn off a bunch of things(70+ apps) that are running in the background, but apparently they don't stay off. Maybe they are on some kind of auto update mode or something, I dunno.

Can anyone tell what I can do to increase battery life? Maybe an app or some settings I can change?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

-Blackadder- posted:

So I've got my droid turbo and I'm trying to figure out how to increase the battery life. I downloaded the Battery Doctor App and it seems to be able to identify and turn off a bunch of things(70+ apps) that are running in the background, but apparently they don't stay off. Maybe they are on some kind of auto update mode or something, I dunno.

Can anyone tell what I can do to increase battery life? Maybe an app or some settings I can change?

What is your battery life like if you don't fiddle with any of that stuff? Mine is usually at ~60-70% after a day of normal usage. That's Very Good™ for most Android phones as far as I know.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Battery apps are almost universally more trouble than they are worth.

What kind of battery life are you getting on the Turbo? Even with very heavy usage I can almost certainly squeeze out a full day (18+ hours) on mine. Granted I don't do too much gaming or use apps like Facebook.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

-Blackadder- posted:

I'd start by uninstalling that terrible app and hoping it puts everything back the way it was when you do

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is there a consistent way to remove something like Google play music from the notification shade? It's sitting in there and I'm not listening to anything, but when I swipe right on it it just bounces back and stays. Won't let me do anything.

E: Immediately after posting this I just pressed the pause button in the shade and it disappeared

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nerve posted:

Is there a consistent way to remove something like Google play music from the notification shade? It's sitting in there and I'm not listening to anything, but when I swipe right on it it just bounces back and stays. Won't let me do anything.

E: Immediately after posting this I just pressed the pause button in the shade and it disappeared

If it is paused and it's still there, there should be an 'X' on the right to close it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

nerve posted:

I think notifications like that only go away if Android thinks they are idle so yeah, it's there unless there's no media playing. Once in awhile PocketCasts' notification won't get the memo that I stopped the media stream and the notification stays stuck there until I hit the pause/play button on the shade.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

-Blackadder- posted:

This just came out : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anrapps.pixelbatterysaver&referrer=utm_source%3D42matters.com%26utm_medium%3DWidgetWeb

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

for the love of god don't use this

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

for the love of god don't use this

Why not, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

-Blackadder- posted:

Turn your brightness down a bit