Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Well yeah, I'd vote Democrat no matter what. Its your goddamn civic duty, why aren't you a Strong D in the vote DBs with a strong record of turnout in the databases?

Its also the duty of a good Democrat to take heart from 9/11 and oppose anything that could result in another 2002 shellacking, even if it means pre-emptive war.

Its the primaries where you're allowed to show your flavor of Democraticism. And, frankly, that flavor should be more Rahm and less Warren, if you want the party to have the capital necessary to win national office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

There's no "I" in "commu"-- in "team."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

I was thinking more in terms of how badly and non chalantly Ted Cruz has no problem at all selling out his party for his own personal goals.

I'm specifically talking about the Republican primaries.

Yeah, he is kind of a smug piece of poo poo and can come off that way but he will make everyone else look like a fool.

Thankfully I don't even think John loving Kerry could lose to him.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I accept the fact that Cruz may actually be a supremely knowledgeable person (dude did go to Harvard and Princeton, after all) but my problem has always been that none of that poo poo matters when you decide to become a Republican presidential nominee*. I mean, what's the benefit of getting a PhD in geology from MIT if you still happen to be an avowed flat Earther?

*or really just anything related to being a Republican in general

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mr Interweb posted:

I accept the fact that Cruz may actually be a supremely knowledgeable person (dude did go to Harvard and Princeton, after all) but my problem has always been that none of that poo poo matters when you decide to become a Republican presidential nominee*. I mean, what's the benefit of getting a PhD in geology from MIT if you happen to be a flat Earther?

You make the mistake of assuming education is equal to intelligence or credibility.

Like 40% of the PhD students from my class are tea partiers.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

I accept the fact that Cruz may actually be a supremely knowledgeable person (dude did go to Harvard and Princeton, after all) but my problem has always been that none of that poo poo matters when you decide to become a Republican presidential nominee*. I mean, what's the benefit of getting a PhD in geology from MIT if you happen to be still be an avowed flat Earther?

Means you know which way the political winds blow to acquire power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

I accept the fact that Cruz may actually be a supremely knowledgeable person (dude did go to Harvard and Princeton, after all) but my problem has always been that none of that poo poo matters when you decide to become a Republican presidential nominee*. I mean, what's the benefit of getting a PhD in geology from MIT if you still happen to be an avowed flat Earther?

Plenty of morons that can memorize text books and answer test questions.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

You make the mistake of assuming education is equal to intelligence or credibility.

Like 40% of the PhD students from my class are tea partiers.

I'm guessing STEM.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Plenty of morons that can memorize text books and answer test questions.

See also, the Chinese and southern educational systems.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
16:42 watch this and you'll get a idea of what he's going to say at the Debates.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?306739-1/texas-senate-republican-runoff-debate

Here's him and Lt. Governor Dewhurst and Ted Cruz.

19:29 is very awesome.

This is where they ask questions of each others. Cruz just straight up calls him out on a payroll tax and then is like " Well, I'm not calling you a liar on that answer but these 20 newspapers are".

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

See also, the Chinese and southern educational systems.

The South has some of the worst test scores in the country, but the South also spends a significant amount of time sabotaging their Public Education to 'prove' that the government is bloated and push for investments into private education (often Christian private schools).

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

shrike82 posted:

I'm guessing STEM.

Nope, International Relations.

Seriously one of these fuckers advocated nuking Hanoi when a Vietnamese exchange student was sitting behind him.

And threatened the president over the internet.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well yeah, I'd vote Democrat no matter what. Its your goddamn civic duty, why aren't you a Strong D in the vote DBs with a strong record of turnout in the databases?

Its also the duty of a good Democrat to take heart from 9/11 and oppose anything that could result in another 2002 shellacking, even if it means pre-emptive war.

Its the primaries where you're allowed to show your flavor of Democraticism. And, frankly, that flavor should be more Rahm and less Warren, if you want the party to have the capital necessary to win national office.

Nah, I prefer to have a bit less cash and a platform that actually gets the base excited.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Campagn.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CaptainCarrot posted:

Nah, I prefer to have a bit less cash and a platform that actually gets the base excited.

Excitement doesn't win elections.

Money wins elections.

Excitement doesn't plaster your face all over TV, it gets you a wikipedia article as a has-been Presidential primary challenger for 1988.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr Interweb posted:

Paul Nitze went to Harvard. McGeorge Bundy and Samuel Huntington went to Yale and taught at Harvard. Walt Rostow went to Yale and was a Rhodes Scholar.
Paul Wolfowitz went to Cornell. Rumsfeld went to Princeton. Paul Bremer went to Harvard and Yale.

I'm not sure what an Ivy Leage education actually means but it sure doesn't mean that the person is in any way competent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

Nope, International Relations.

:stare: Who teaches the class? MacArthur? Kissinger?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Continental...

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

The professors are competent but somehow they admitted Rush Limbaugh Jr. into the PhD program.

It's pronounced champagne.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

Money wins elections.
The Democrats cannot out-shill the Republicans. To do so only leads to inevitable compromising and betrayal of their own platform. The best alternative is left populism.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah no poo poo. My IR classes were pretty much +90% liberals. What kind of idiot teabagger gets a PhD in IR anyway? Where the gently caress do they think they'll be working?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

The Democrats cannot out-shill the Republicans. To do so only leads to inevitable compromising and betrayal of their own platform. The best alternative is left populism.

Money can buy you a shill from any place. When you want your money to purchase some sanity, you give to Democrats.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah no poo poo. My IR classes were pretty much +90% liberals. What kind of idiot teabagger gets a PhD in IR anyway? Where the gently caress do they think they'll be working?

John Bolton's campaign?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Unzip and Attack posted:

CATO, probably.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Radish posted:

Kill all dogs.
Kiling all kittens is already the NYC plank for the GOP.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's always possible that he could come off totally smug and unlikable in those debates, right?

Depends. Is he going to come out and set a Birthday Cake on the podium and answer each question by shoveling it into his mouth while keeping eye contact with the camera?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Money wins elections.
Yeah, Crossroads just dominated the field in 2012.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hollismason posted:

16:42 watch this and you'll get a idea of what he's going to say at the Debates.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?306739-1/texas-senate-republican-runoff-debate

Here's him and Lt. Governor Dewhurst and Ted Cruz.

19:29 is very awesome.

This is where they ask questions of each others. Cruz just straight up calls him out on a payroll tax and then is like " Well, I'm not calling you a liar on that answer but these 20 newspapers are".
Cool, thanks. I'll have to watch this later.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anyway , if want a idea of what Cruz is going to be saying in the future watch the debate because he's going to keep this rhetoric of being a defender of the constitution.

49:00 , issue Groping by the TSA

Ted Cruz " WE do a body Cavity Search of a 90 Year old Nun and Obama allows that".

Oh and then the whole Obamacare thing Cruz basically states what he's going to do in 2013.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 6, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Unzip and Attack posted:

One of them actually was State Dept. at one point though who knows how the hell that relationship was severed though to be fair the guy was kind of decent. Except he was pretty racist and had some deplorable opinions.

The other is just balls to the wall nuts however, and regularly would shout down anyone who disagreed with him and often caught poo poo for swearing and yelling at people in academic discussions.

I honestly have no idea.

For the most part the program comprises of a lot of international students and otherwise sane people though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Well, it comes from the French campagne and only officially got the 'i' in English usage with Samuel Johnson's dictionary in 1755.

For example, Samuel Pepys in his diary of June 28, 1667:

quote:

At table, my Lady and Sir Philip Carteret have great and good discourse of the greatness of the present King of France--what great things he hath done, that a man may pass, at any hour in the night, all over that wild city [Paris], with a purse in his hand and no danger: that there is not a beggar to be seen in it, nor dirt lying in it; that he hath married two of Colbert's daughters to two of the greatest princes of France, and given them portions--bought the greatest dukedom in France, and given it to Colbert; and ne'er a prince in France dare whisper against it, whereas here our King cannot do any such thing, but everybody's mouth is open against him for it, and the man that hath the favour also. That to several commanders that had not money to set them out to the present campagne, he did of his own accord--send them L1000 sterling a-piece, to equip themselves.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Where the gently caress do they think they'll be working?

At some think tank making more money than the rest of the class.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Well, it comes from the French campagne and only officially got the 'i' in English usage with Samuel Johnson's dictionary in 1755.

For example, Samuel Pepys in his diary of June 28, 1667:

Oh god it's John Kerry all over again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Or another famous Presidential candidate from Massachusetts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hjgzXFLcrE

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dunno what it is about the people at my school but all the polisci peeps are liberals and all the ir kids are Republicans lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Or another famous Presidential candidate from Massachusetts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hjgzXFLcrE

Mon dieu :monocle: 'E is, 'ow you say, une fille 'omme...a ah...."little girly man", n'cest pas?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Hillary Clinton did such a bang-up job as Secretary of State that she left with all her emails in order to make room for John Kerry

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

At some think tank making more money than the rest of the class.

Everyone says this but that's bullshit. CATO and the like aren't just money factories where Teabaggers party and live it up like some nerdy Studio 54. Those places don't hire en masse so I'm thinking Panera Bread is a safer prediction.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CommieGIR posted:

No lie, I'd take a class on international relations taught by Henry Kissinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Money wins elections.

Yup, just ask President Romney.

• Locked thread