Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Ramos posted:

Remind me what kcw is short for, please.

king cobweb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ramos posted:

Krark-Clan Ironworks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

krark clan ironWorks

Because I'm Iron-deficient.

(It should be KCI)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Thanks everyone. :D

But yeah, it's perfectly understandable why it didn't need the card. It doesn't actually have much use usually outside of being a sac outlet and the deck already has one of those.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ramos posted:

Kind Cheese Wizard

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

But yeah, it's perfectly understandable why it didn't need the card. It doesn't actually have much use usually outside of being a sac outlet and the deck already has one of those.

What?

The thoptersword combo reads as:

sacrifice an artifact to start this, 1: gain 1 life put a 1/1 thopter token into play and attach sword of the meek to it

the point of ironworks is to be able to gain mana in that engine instead of being capped per turn by your mana pool so it generates infinite thopters and infinite mana

sac outlets are actually fairly useless since the only thing you want to sacrifice sword to is foundry. You usually never even cast sword since you'd thirst to dump it into your bin and sac another onboard artifact to start it.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 6, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't really think Thopter Combo is all that bannable if Splinter Twin is considered okay (since Splinter Twin is just about as easily disruptable as Thopter Sword, kills you even faster and has 4 different enabling cards). I think what you should really brace for ins't Sword of the Meek being unbanned, its Splinter Twin eventually getting banned. Its happening sooner or later, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to weaken Twin first by banning Deceiver Exarch though.

Then again, Thopter Combo being banned is probably (like Bitterblossom), people with bad memories of old extended decks. I think the dominant Thopter deck was a combination of two different currently banned combos - Dark Depths/Hexmage and Thopter/Sword.

Ramos posted:

Sac outlet? No, it instantly wins you the game if you have it up with the other two. You gain arbitrary amounts of mana, 1/1 fliers and life. But yeah, if Thopter Foundry-Sword of the Meek didn't do anything without KCW, it wouldn't be banned because three-card combos are much easier to disrupt.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 6, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
guys
http://twitter.com/magicprotour/status/585159119385927681/photo/1

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

What's up with the black Nicol Bolas?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm saying Ironworks is largely useless because by the time you get the Sword Thopter combo going, you're probably going to be so far ahead in terms of board and life advantage that the only thing that lets the other person feasibly win is if you were crunched in the first place or they go infinite. In both cases, Ironworks probably wasn't going to save you anyway (due to a lack of mana or drawing it at a point in the game where you could have used something else, etc) and does little but serve as a dead card draw a good majority of the time.

So yeah, it technically makes it better, but it doesn't necessarily make it more practical, which is the important part.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Why did they make a hoodie that looks like a pigeon poo poo on your chest?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
thopter depths - a deck with two really strong combos that won w/ jace the mind sculptor's ultimate

man I miss 2010 extended.

Also thoptersword and hexmage depths were separate decks and then GerryT usually is credited with coming up with / doing well with the first brews with both cards that or he just really liked the list.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Why did they make a hoodie that looks like a pigeon poo poo on your chest?

The fact you hate it does a lot to bolster my opinion. I almost want to dash out and get one myself, but that seems a bit to formidable for me to get there since it is in Brussels. Hopefully I'll be able to exploit ebay to get one or two, even if I have to sacrifice some time to do it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

thopter depths - a deck with two really strong combos that won w/ jace the mind sculptor's ultimate

man I miss 2010 extended.

Also thoptersword and hexmage depths were separate decks and then GerryT usually is credited with coming up with / doing well with the first brews with both cards that or he just really liked the list.

I never played it but when I saw it it made me laugh. All of the win conditions are banned in modern plus part of the mana base (Chrome Mox).

4 Dark Depths
1 Ghost Quarter
3 Island
4 River of Tears
4 Sunken Ruins
2 Swamp
2 Tolaria West
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

4 Dark Confidant
4 Vampire Hexmage

4 Chrome Mox
1 Compulsive Research
1 Duress
1 Echoing Truth
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Muddle the Mixture
2 Repeal
2 Smother
2 Sword of the Meek
3 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Thopter Foundry
4 Thoughtseize

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Madmarker posted:

The fact you hate it does a lot to bolster my opinion. I almost want to dash out and get one myself, but that seems a bit to formidable for me to get there since it is in Brussels. Hopefully I'll be able to exploit ebay to get one or two, even if I have to sacrifice some time to do it.

wear it to your wedding

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

wear it to your wedding

Yeah, but I hate dragon the rest of my clan anywhere, let alone to a wedding.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I never played it but when I saw it it made me laugh. All of the win conditions are banned in modern plus part of the mana base (Chrome Mox).
4 Muddle the Mixture

This is honestly my favorite part of the deck. Also when it ran Beseech the Queen that was pretty sweet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, but I hate dragon the rest of my clan anywhere, let alone to a wedding.

nevermind please wear it to your funeral

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Madmarker posted:

You forgot Rebound. :goonsay:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

You forgot Rebound. :goonsay:

Agh, my prowess eludes me yet again.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I hope that article of clothing outlasts these posts or at least I hope for some ferocious moderation.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Madmarker posted:

Agh, my prowess eludes me yet again.

Get band.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

I hope that article of clothing outlasts these posts or at least I hope for some ferocious moderation.

It will, I'll make sure there's never a raid on my wardrobe.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

These puns are ferociously bad.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
You folks are delving pretty deep for these puns!! :iamafag:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What maindeck modern cards can disrupt a resolved Thopter/Sword other than Abrupt Decay? Twin/Exarch can at least be hit by removal spells.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

These puns are ferociously bad.

Do puns manifest themselves in any other way?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What maindeck modern cards can disrupt a resolved Thopter/Sword other than Abrupt Decay? Twin/Exarch can at least be hit by removal spells.

Fewer things, but the payoff is also significantly less than that of Twin.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Well, Splinter Twin, for starters.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Also, Scavenging Ooze.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's true that it would probably lose to Twin, but I don't think modern has any particular need for a deck that says "play GBx or an infinite combo or lose to me".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

It's true that it would probably lose to Twin, but I don't think modern has any particular need for a deck that says "play GBx or an infinite combo or lose to me".

Yeah I guess we should probably get rid of Infect

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I mean, Tron plays O-Stone, Infect doesn't care about your life total and neither does Bloom Titan with Hive Mind. I've given you 4 different valid things that straight up beat Thopter-Sword in an environment where it doesn't even exist. People might make slight adjustments to beat it, but that would require it to be legal.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The blue, red or green hoodies might be cool actually, nice.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I mean, Tron plays O-Stone, Infect doesn't care about your life total and neither does Bloom Titan with Hive Mind. I've given you 4 different valid things that straight up beat Thopter-Sword in an environment where it doesn't even exist. People might make slight adjustments to beat it, but that would require it to be legal.

Thopter Sword existing would force people to respect graveyards a little more too, which would be an interesting change for the format

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Any instant speed Artifact hate right? Sacrificing the Sword is part of the Thopter activation cost, so destroying the Foundry in response to a single activation stops the combo, right?

So basically everything you would side in against Affinity is good?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

Any instant speed Artifact hate right? Sacrificing the Sword is part of the Thopter activation cost, so destroying the Foundry in response to a single activation stops the combo, right?

Hurkyl's Recall is also a blowout.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

qbert posted:

If they have another artifact to sacrifice they can continue the combo in response

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

If they have another artifact to sacrifice they can continue the combo in response

True, but then that would be a 3 card combo, and who gives a poo poo about those. Also the combo isn't infinite, so while they might get an extra 3-4 tokens that turn, the Foundry still ends up dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Hurkyl's Recall is also a blowout.

how so? They just replay their poo poo and go again, they already gained a ton of life

stony silence and damping matrix are the main hate cards. on top of that leyline/rip are good too.

• Locked thread