Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zedd posted:

DBZA Gotenks will be both a work of art, and a thing that is going to be so hard for them to keep fresh. Gotenks was annoying as poo poo, on purpose.

DBZA Gotenks will just endlessly quote popular DBZA Lines to show how utterly annoying he is. Also his love of references like with WFF and Volleyball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
At this point, I am looking forward to every new TFS interpretation. They have been consistently amazing with their character interpretations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Onmi posted:

DBZA Gotenks will just endlessly quote popular DBZA Lines to show how utterly annoying he is. Also his love of references like with WFF and Volleyball.

Super Ghost Nappa Kamikaze Attack.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

The problem is that DBZ just kept escalating power and not much else. Frieza was just absurdly strong, and no clever tactics could beat him. Cell raised the stakes by being even stronger and also he could regenerate (but otherwise didn't really do anything interesting). Majin Buu did the same thing but he was even better at regenerating than Cell, oh no!

Yeah the regeneration felt a bit grating to me as well, it just felt like "Did you do X damage with your attack? Yes - He's dead No - He's completely fine try again." and then Cell's self-destruct not actually mattering (and then making him Perfect again) was just mindboggling.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Chucat posted:

Yeah the regeneration felt a bit grating to me as well, it just felt like "Did you do X damage with your attack? Yes - He's dead No - He's completely fine try again." and then Cell's self-destruct not actually mattering (and then making him Perfect again) was just mindboggling.

His regen was better than Piccolo's, so his zenkais were better than the Saiyans'.

But yeah it's bullshit.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

e X posted:

At this point, I am looking forward to every new TFS interpretation. They have been consistently amazing with their character interpretations.

Like Mister Popo, that was an incredible choice. I only hope that they can do Buu and his other forms justice.

... Wait a minute. Super Buu is evil because he absorbs Mister Popo! Or maybe he gets possessed after trying to absorb Popo and Popo is the final villain of DBZA..

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Like Nappa, Popo has been dialed back significantly and that's probably for the best.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rodyle posted:

Like Nappa, Popo has been dialed back significantly and that's probably for the best.

Eh, I think that is more the source material, Mr. Popo has a lot fewer appearances between the Freeza and Cell saga than he has before and afterwards. But I do agree that not following up on the whole "Nappa lives" angle.

e X fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 6, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Popo seems like a mix of them getting a little worried about them running the Popo joke into the ground/going too far with the rapist joke combined with increasingly fewer appearances. It works out well since he's funnier the more rarely he's used.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Like Mister Popo, that was an incredible choice. I only hope that they can do Buu and his other forms justice.

... Wait a minute. Super Buu is evil because he absorbs Mister Popo! Or maybe he gets possessed after trying to absorb Popo and Popo is the final villain of DBZA..

Funnily, as much as they've said they despise GT, the whole thing about Popo and Shenron in Abridged would actually make for a slightly more sensible reason for all the Shadow Dragon shenanigans.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think how much you enjoy each saga reflects on who your favorite character to see in action is. If it's Vegeta then there's a good chance it'll be the Frieza arc since the hulk of it is spent on him. The Saiyans arc is a little bit more evenly spaced between character moments. Cell is more Saiyan characters than anyone, and Buu is hard for me to surmise.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Buu arc is Hercule's arc duh

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
Every time you call him "Hercule" a tear rolls down Mr. Satan's face.

Hail Satan.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Q posted:

Every time you call him "Hercule" a tear rolls down Mr. Satan's face.

Hail Satan.

I'm still unclear on what his name really is, I think its Mark "Hercule" Satan which is what i call him, but Mr. Satan for short

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ekusukariba posted:

I'm still unclear on what his name really is, I think its Mark "Hercule" Satan which is what i call him, but Mr. Satan for short

They're really inconsistent about localizing it; it's Hercule in Xenoverse and Mr. Satan in Battle of the Gods.

Rodyle posted:

The Buu arc is Hercule's arc duh

This is right.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Ekusukariba posted:

His name during the series was Mr. Satan, Toriyama later revealed in an interview that that was only his ring name, with his actual name being Mark(u).

Hercule is an invention of the dub.

e X fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 6, 2015

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i get why vegeta didnt crack it but does anyone know why trunks didnt do the whole "master super sayain" thing in his second year in the time chamber? dude wouldve probably come out of there ss2 by a long shot, OHKOd cell and went home without causing goku to die, himself to die, and the world to almost be ended by a titanic beam struggle

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They tend to use Hercules for anything kids might see and Mr. Satan otherwise AFAIK.

tbp posted:

i get why vegeta didnt crack it but does anyone know why trunks didnt do the whole "master super sayain" thing in his second year in the time chamber? dude wouldve probably come out of there ss2 by a long shot, OHKOd cell and went home without causing goku to die, himself to die, and the world to almost be ended by a titanic beam struggle

Trunks kinda sucks and is afraid of pissing off daddy.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Trunks kinda sucks and is afraid of pissing off daddy.

he was, for two periods of time, the second strongest character on the show. idk wtf him and vegeta did in the time chamber for that second year, or also why goku was insane enough to just say gently caress it to going in again

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

well actually goku is a legit mental retard but his son, the 11 year old, shouldve been like hm dad you mind if i go in and train with trunks or picollo or whatever

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

tbp posted:

he was, for two periods of time, the second strongest character on the show. idk wtf him and vegeta did in the time chamber for that second year, or also why goku was insane enough to just say gently caress it to going in again

That's what I love about the Android/Cell Saga, for a few brief moments, a bunch of characters get to be the strongest on the show

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If I remember right doesn't Cell say something about how Vegeta probably DID figure out the bulky SSJ form but didn't bother because he would have seen the flaw of the speed downgrade for the crippling factor it was?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Rodyle posted:

If I remember right doesn't Cell say something about how Vegeta probably DID figure out the bulky SSJ form but didn't bother because he would have seen the flaw of the speed downgrade for the crippling factor it was?

yeah im not talking about that though, i mean when goku and gohan come out in perma ssj, trunks and vegeta go in again.. but neither of them think "boy maybe they were on to something". vegeta makes sense okay maybe he didnt wanna copy goku, but trunks shouldve figured it out and mastered the form and with all that extra time (remember goku wasted like 6 months or hwatever training gohan to become like, passable) he couldve gone ss2 and they wouldnt have to bother with forcing gohan to learn the form mid-battle

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Chucat posted:

I loved that Cell came back after the big "sacrifice" by Goku. It's like, everyone is going "PHEW, Goku saved us again :allears:" and then Trunks chest blows up and a smug as gently caress Cell returns and goes SSJ2. It was an awesome suprise back then I thought

Then it of course culminates in that awesome kamehameha battle with gohan

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rodyle posted:

Yeah but he's talking about Goku and Gohan's "we're just always Super Saiyan" thing.

And what the gently caress ever happened to that, by the way? They seemed plenty capable of living normal life like that without having some world-of-cardboard problem. I could understand Gohan not wanting to stand out at school or something, but you'd think Goku would love it because he could train even harder.

tbp posted:

yeah im not talking about that though, i mean when goku and gohan come out in perma ssj, trunks and vegeta go in again.. but neither of them think "boy maybe they were on to something". vegeta makes sense okay maybe he didnt wanna copy goku, but trunks shouldve figured it out and mastered the form and with all that extra time (remember goku wasted like 6 months or hwatever training gohan to become like, passable) he couldve gone ss2 and they wouldnt have to bother with forcing gohan to learn the form mid-battle

I thought part of it was like, learning to be relaxed while still Super Saiyan. Seems difficult with Vegeta around.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah but he's talking about Goku and Gohan's "we're just always Super Saiyan" thing.

And what the gently caress ever happened to that, by the way? They seemed plenty capable of living normal life like that without having some world-of-cardboard problem. I could understand Gohan not wanting to stand out at school or something, but you'd think Goku would love it because he could train even harder.

I thought part of it was like, learning to be relaxed while still Super Saiyan. Seems difficult with Vegeta around.

I think they took the fruits of that training, which was being so comfortable in Super Saiyan that it was no longer a power drain anymore, and since they'd masted that they didn't need to stay in it all the time. I mean, when Vegeta goes Super in the early Android saga, he's chowing down on senzus constantly because of the power drain, but that never comes up again post cell, and Goku doesn't even realise hes transformed in BoG.

I mean, the Doylesian answer is just "Toriyama forgot" but y'know.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

yeah i kinda like that you can see the effort it takes to transform early on then later its like one flush of energy and theyre there

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A little off topic, but is there a place I can order Dragon Ball Kai season 1 on blu-ray for a good price? Amazon been "1 to 4 weeks" for a while now and every other place is sold out of the set.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

I think they took the fruits of that training, which was being so comfortable in Super Saiyan that it was no longer a power drain anymore, and since they'd masted that they didn't need to stay in it all the time. I mean, when Vegeta goes Super in the early Android saga, he's chowing down on senzus constantly because of the power drain, but that never comes up again post cell, and Goku doesn't even realise hes transformed in BoG.

I mean, the Doylesian answer is just "Toriyama forgot" but y'know.

I thought he was chowing down because he shot off a bunch of big energy blasts and got a good chunk of his energy stolen by an android.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
How does the uncut dub handle Hercule/Satan's name, exactly? When I was watching the Cell saga uncut a while back I could have sworn they kept calling him Hercule, but I turned on an episode from the Buu saga not too long ago and he was Mr. Satan. Is it just inconsistent or is my memory fucky?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

How does the uncut dub handle Hercule/Satan's name, exactly? When I was watching the Cell saga uncut a while back I could have sworn they kept calling him Hercule, but I turned on an episode from the Buu saga not too long ago and he was Mr. Satan. Is it just inconsistent or is my memory fucky?

Hercule is exclusively a broadcast change. Anything Funimation puts out on home media in English, at least in recent memory, calls him Mr. Satan. The games might be more inconsistent though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, that's weird. I was watching Cell with the Faulconer score and Buu with the original, that may have affected it.

e: either that or I just mentally replace it and my brain forgot to for that time, because I also remember Hercule being the name in BoG

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Freeza was swirlied one time too many in space high school, grew up to be a massive space dick.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To be frank, Hercule is a better name for the character than Mr.Satan.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Covok posted:

To be frank, Hercule is a better name for the character than Mr.Satan.

"Mark Satan" is loving hilarious and if you disagree, I will think you have bad taste.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I will never be able to not call him Hercule.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xibanya posted:

"Mark Satan" is loving hilarious and if you disagree, I will think you have bad taste.

I am willing to live with your judgement because I very much like the name Hercule more than Mark Satan. Maybe it's because it's the name he had when I was a kid, maybe it's because of other reasons. Regardless, I think it fits better.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mark Satan is great. Mark "Hercule" Satan is the best.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's just like Eggman/Robotnik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Mark Satan is the best because the japanese for Mark is something like Ma-a-ku, which is an anagram for Akuma, which means Devil, and the Japanese loving love their name puns.

Hail Double Satan

• Locked thread