Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I'm just now coming back to One Piece after years away. I discovered One Pace, and am currently in the middle of Punk Hazzard.

And I can't tell if I'm even watching an abridged version, the pacing is that bad. Even the fan edit seems stretched out, like how many times does Caesar need to explain how poison works, or do his stupid laugh for 20 seconds? We get it, you're evil. That said it manages to be only aggravating instead of unwatchable. My heart goes out to anyone who actually tunes in weekly.

It's also a shame that the English dub will never get this treatment.

My apologies if this has already been beaten to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Read The Manga

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Read The Manga

That's what I've been doing until now, but I can't resist the allure of the music.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

F. Lobot posted:

That's what I've been doing until now, but I can't resist the allure of the music.

Music kind of loses its merit when whole episodes consist of running forever and not getting anywhere, mooks repeating what just happened over and over, extraordinarily long shots of static scenes and reactions, or my personal favorite, EEEEEIIIIIISSSSSSUUUUUUU ad infinitum

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pica having a really high voice is hilarious and so very One Piece

A friend got me a collector's plate from when she was in Japan. It's pretty neat

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I just thought of something - how does Pica sound in the manga?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Shadow0 posted:

I just thought of something - how does Pica sound in the manga?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I was gonn a say presumably we would just see peoples' reaction to it, which is hilarious imo. Really enjoying that plot point. Really hoping to see Zoro fight with Fujitora, even just a little bit would be cool as heck.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Holy poo poo that Nickelback song at the end of Movie Z. :stare:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah I was gonn a say presumably we would just see peoples' reaction to it, which is hilarious imo. Really enjoying that plot point. Really hoping to see Zoro fight with Fujitora, even just a little bit would be cool as heck.
Yeah basically this and yes it is hilarious in the manga. Even the battles between him and others are like

:black101: Fuhahaha, you thought you could-
:byodood: WHAT IS WITH THAT VOICE. THAT LAUGH. ARE YOU EVEN A HUMAN BEING

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 23, 2015

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Bisse posted:

Yeah basically this and yes it is hilarious in the manga. Even the battles between him and others are like

:black101: Fuhahaha, you thought you could-
:byodood: WHAT IS WITH THAT VOICE. THAT LAUGH. ARE YOU EVEN A HUMAN BEING

And here I thought the anime might have finally had an advantage, haha.

I kind of feel bad for the guy. He's just trying to do protect his people, and he's getting made fun of even by everyone short of his closest "family". Poor guy can't even talk. Maybe this is what drove him to a life of (presumably) crime. :0
Pretty funny though.

Kind of gives the DQ family some humanity, which is nice to see. They aren't just a cabal of evil people that want to be evil together or something; they actually care about one another. I bet we'll see more of how they came to be in the next episode with Law's flashback.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah Pica is a pica poo poo

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The last One Piece movie was at the end of 2012. Hope we get some news soon. I know Oda doesn't need any more distractions but I do so enjoy them.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just started watching this show a couple of weeks ago, already 100 episodes in and loving it... and it just occurred to me that if there isn't something out there titled "Usopp's Fables", I'm going to be very disappointed.

Edit: The King of Alabasta is great.
Also, I love that this show was able to get me emotionally invested in a talking, shapeshifting reindeer over the course of just a few episodes.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 29, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Also, I love that this show was able to get me emotionally invested in a talking, shapeshifting reindeer over the course of just a few episodes.

If there's something this show is notable for, is emotionally investing you in things you really have no right to. I'll leave it at that for now.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Argh, why does Funimation dub the audio but not the text? I want to know what it's saying after Usopp, Sanji and Nami each beat the Baroque Works members. :\

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 31, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

Argh, why does Funimation dub the audio but not the text? I want to know what it's saying after Usopp, Sanji and Nami each beat the Baroque Works members. :\

They all just say stuff like "North Gate Battle Winner: Usopp and Chopper" except for Sanji's which declares him the winner and also "Spoils of war: A little friendship" which is very :3:

Zoro's new design is cool as hell but I wouldn't be upset at all if he kept the suit and 'tache.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

They all just say stuff like "North Gate Battle Winner: Usopp and Chopper" except for Sanji's which declares him the winner and also "Spoils of war: A little friendship" which is very :3:

Awesome, thanks! :)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Any particular reason why you're watching the dub and not the sub? The dubs decent but they're pretty far behind and the sub really is much better.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

Any particular reason why you're watching the dub and not the sub? The dubs decent but they're pretty far behind and the sub really is much better.

Personal preference.

Subs are a lot less practical if you want to, say, watch it while cooking.

And half of the fun has been in recognizing all of the different VAs from the Fullmetal Alchemist dubs!

I tend to watch subs more often for movies instead of tv shows.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 31, 2015

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

thexerox123 posted:

And half of the fun has been in recognizing all of the different VAs from the Fullmetal Alchemist dubs!

This. Hearing Alphonse voice Dende in Dragonball Kai was just the coolest thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kingnothing posted:

The only thing wrong with the dub is that they refuse to translate any text.

I guess they also don't understand the many complexities of Nakima that one can only glean through subs.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

This. Hearing Alphonse voice Dende in Dragonball Kai was just the coolest thing.

I was pretty amused by the fact that One Piece had Roy Mustang's VA playing another character with fire abilities. Haha.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 31, 2015

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

I was pretty amused by the fact that One Piece had Roy Mustang's VA playing another character with fire abilities. Haha.

Luffy's Hawkeye too, which is pretty funny by itself but fits even better with Ace.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

I don't know what version of the dub you guys are watching, but I just checked my DVDs and they translate text while playing the dub:

I can see a lack of translated text getting confusing soon though, since the next arc introduces a major character who I'm pretty sure is only named through text: Blackbeard

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
TBH, just watch the sub, before you're done with all the 7 billion episodes you'll be fluent anyway.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Don't bother, the dub has already done like 70% of the actual good episodes of the anime. Just switch to the Manga when you're done with the dub.

Rage McDougal posted:

I don't know what version of the dub you guys are watching, but I just checked my DVDs and they translate text while playing the dub:

I can see a lack of translated text getting confusing soon though, since the next arc introduces a major character who I'm pretty sure is only named through text: Blackbeard

Oftentimes, when watching something streamed online the DVD subs don't appear because they are separated from the video on the DVD. Or you have the wrong sub option selected, I'm not near my DVDs but I think there are 3 tracks (no subs, text only and full) though I thought that text only was the default setting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rage McDougal posted:

When aired on TV they never translate the text for the dub. This is a constant complaint in the Toonami thread.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

On the latest episode

Zoro is just the baddest mother, can't wait till he annihilates Pica. Also it seems like Law might fight Doflamingo rather than Luffy which makes much more sense to me. It just makes for a much more fun match-up. Can't see Oda not having Luffy be the one to beat the villain though. Also next week it looks like we get Sabo Vs Fujitora which is so cool! I hope we don't get a 'Aokiji vs Doflamingo' or 'Fujitora vs Doflamingo' pulled on us though.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Gyges posted:

When aired on TV they never translate the text for the dub. This is a constant complaint in the Toonami thread.

Huh. That's pretty dumb.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Truga posted:

TBH, just watch the sub, before you're done with all the 7 billion episodes you'll be fluent anyway.

Or, "how I learned toni kaku was a word and not a person."

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Remember when the Funimation dub first started on Toonami and they weren't lazy?

It's laughable how they try to justify lack of localization as "uncut and uncensored!!".

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

F. Lobot posted:

Remember when the Funimation dub first started on Toonami and they weren't lazy?

It's laughable how they try to justify lack of localization as "uncut and uncensored!!".

What's this now?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

What's this now?

what funi would do would be to clean up the art and script but not change the regional refrences like they did when they broadcast things in the afternoon
(i.e. sake being tea in tenchi muyo and sending someone to the next dimension instead of killing them)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

AkumaHokoru posted:

what funi would do would be to clean up the art and script but not change the regional refrences like they did when they broadcast things in the afternoon
(i.e. sake being tea in tenchi muyo and sending someone to the next dimension instead of killing them)

On the other hand attempting to localise traditional Japanese things for Western audience just can't be done. Awkward Zombie did a great comic on it

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

AkumaHokoru posted:

It's more that the post implied that they weren't localizing a lot of things in the Funi One Piece dub anymore when they used to, which I haven't heard about (though granted I've only got until like Water 7, I think on DVD). The episodes I've seen have a bunch of appropriate localisation, using different terms for booze when appropriate, using terms like "Navy" and "Seven Warlords" and so on.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I see. fair enough. I thought he was talking about the early dub run for things.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Saw this on someone else's phone the other day. Though you guys might get a kick out of how terrible it is.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Kingnothing posted:

Saw this on someone else's phone the other day. Though you guys might get a kick out of how terrible it is.

I think it's kinda cool albeit terribly mis-proportioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
His pants didn't fit right so he stretched his legs down.