Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

hobbesmaster posted:

At some think tank making more money than the rest of the class.

Nope, considering his background and his other...propensities he will likely continue wasting away writing angry comments about foreigners and liberals until whatever takes him takes him.

site posted:

Dunno what it is about the people at my school but all the polisci peeps are liberals and all the ir kids are Republicans lol

Realism is for the weakminded.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No lie, I'd take a class on international relations taught by Henry Kissinger.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, me too.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Unzip and Attack posted:

Everyone says this but that's bullshit. CATO and the like aren't just money factories where Teabaggers party and live it up like some nerdy Studio 54. Those places don't hire en masse so I'm thinking Panera Bread is a safer prediction.

Well, you did ask where they think they'll be working.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would too, but I'm pretty sure even Kissinger wouldn't tolerate some of the poo poo Libertarians/Tea Partiers bring to a discussion.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

Yup, just ask President Romney.

Tell me, at what point did R-money have a commanding lead in money?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

....from his own pockets?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

Romney and Romney-associated PACs had a significant funding lead during the summer of 2012, after he clinched the nomination

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Paul Nitze went to Harvard. McGeorge Bundy and Samuel Huntington went to Yale and taught at Harvard. Walt Rostow went to Yale and was a Rhodes Scholar.
Paul Wolfowitz went to Cornell. Rumsfeld went to Princeton. Paul Bremer went to Harvard and Yale.

I'm not sure what an Ivy Leage education actually means but it sure doesn't mean that the person is in any way competent.

What I meant was that most of them are knowledgeable, it's just that they don't give a poo poo about anything they learned.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

I would too, but I'm pretty sure even Kissinger wouldn't tolerate some of the poo poo Libertarians/Tea Partiers bring to a discussion.

What would you call it when they idolize him and yet despise him profusely when he tells them that turning Iran/Palestine into glass would be a bad idea?

Is that what a love/hate relationship is?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alter Ego posted:

Yup, just ask President Romney.

Or Governor Whitman.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

What would you call it when they idolize him and yet despise him profusely when he tells them that turning Iran/Palestine into glass would be a bad idea?

Is that what a love/hate relationship is?

Its called angry sex.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

Romney and Romney-associated PACs had a significant funding lead during the summer of 2012, after he clinched the nomination

Summer of 2012, he didn't have a monetary lead for how many quarters preceding that? 2 Q's of leading versus how many of being behind?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

Its called angry sex.

If the course consists of watching a group of overweight middle-aged white men run a train on Henry Kissinger over the course of a semester then I think I'll just take Game Theory instead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

If the course consists of watching a group of overweight middle-aged white men run a train on Henry Kissinger over the course of a semester then I think I'll just take Game Theory instead.

No seriously, I'd sit in on Kissinger's class. That'd be an interesting experience.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Hmmm , think this would encourage me to take the class even more.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

Summer of 2012, he didn't have a monetary lead for how many quarters preceding that? 2 Q's of leading versus how many of being behind?
Funding was split between the various Republican candidates before then. Once Romney got the nod, he shot out to a funding lead, though it ebbed away to more or less funding parity by the time of the election.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Kissinger invented the term realpolitik and was a driving force for detente and normalizing relations with China so yeah he'd absolutely shut all that poo poo down.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

How about a class on game theory taught by Henry Kissinger? It'd consist solely of games of Diplomacy.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

hobbesmaster posted:

How about a class on game theory taught by Henry Kissinger? It'd consist solely of games of Diplomacy.

God that would be amazing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

:stare: The greatest game session every played.

Even better: Get Kissinger and a bunch of other diplomats in a classroom and have them play Diplomacy together.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Even better: Get Kissinger and a bunch of other diplomats in a classroom and have them play Diplomacy together.

I think that would be a little too revealing when they ended up doing no better than anybody else at it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

For context Kissinger is the one that said in an interview in the 70s that he played diplomacy by mail under pseudonyms. He'd probably clean house just by knowing the rules inside and out. (I want to know if he still does that, but its literally impossible to google for due to his profession and that he authored a book called "Diplomacy")

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Joementum posted:

Or another famous Presidential candidate from Massachusetts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hjgzXFLcrE

You got the wrong video, buddy, and I can't not watch this whenever it's posted so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJJKW7ea1oc

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
As much as I hate to agree with MIGF (who I'm not actually sure is a troll - hawkish, reflexively zionist democrats are relatively rare but more common than D&D might like to think), I do believe there is some merit to the argument that Warren's populism goes too far in a purely tactical sense. While it is inevitable that the Ds are going to have to get into confrontations with corporations, particularly low-wage retailers, manufacturers who outsource or engage in union-busting, etc., there is definitely an argument to be made that they cannot afford to make enemies of the banking and finance world. They may be fellow members of the chamber of commerce, but financiers, like lawyers and other skilled professionals, gravitate as much towards the democratic party as towards the republicans. They may oppose minimum wage and such, but the world of finance has had a much more sedate relationship with the democrats in the Obama years, and indeed was as generous as could be expected in the 2012 campaign season despite Obama being relatively populist. I think it's worth pointing out that the Koch brothers are primarily manufacturing barons, not bankers. This isn't to say that the 'investor class' isn't a danger in the long term - another Lehman bros. could happen any year now. But at the moment, the big confrontation will be over low wages for the working class, and it isn't necessarily the bankers' ox being gored there.

Lastly, don't forget that there is a mirror image to the phenomenon of dumb fundamentalist rednecks voting for republicans who will then slash the services they depend on; there are a great many wealthy, successful white folks in cities and on the coasts who are within the tax brackets Republicans want to fellate, but donate to the democrats instead because they detest the GOP's lurch towards crazy religious fundamentalism. Consider that for all his faults, Obama has been vastly better for vulnerable minority groups than the alternative of a McCain or Romney presidency; keep that in mind when you're talking about how Obama should have soaked the rich more. In the short term, the smartest thing to do politically probably WAS to keep taxes on the rich shamefully low, and instead to pay for increased services through the national debt, which is much less likely to disrupt an economic recovery in the short term.

Don't get me wrong; I'm actually glad Warren is running, so she can hopefully force Hillary to move to the left. But I'm inclined to agree that making her the actual candidate is a risk the democrats probably can't take.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I must have missed that, when did Warren announce she's running?

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

site posted:

I must have missed that, when did Warren announce she's running?

Nope, didn't happen.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

hobbesmaster posted:

For context Kissinger is the one that said in an interview in the 70s that he played diplomacy by mail under pseudonyms. He'd probably clean house just by knowing the rules inside and out. (I want to know if he still does that, but its literally impossible to google for due to his profession and that he authored a book called "Diplomacy")

According to the internet, Jack Kennedy also played it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Liberal_L33t posted:

As much as I hate to agree with MIGF (who I'm not actually sure is a troll - hawkish, reflexively zionist democrats are relatively rare but more common than D&D might like to think), I do believe there is some merit to the argument that Warren's populism goes too far in a purely tactical sense. While it is inevitable that the Ds are going to have to get into confrontations with corporations, particularly low-wage retailers, manufacturers who outsource or engage in union-busting, etc., there is definitely an argument to be made that they cannot afford to make enemies of the banking and finance world. They may be fellow members of the chamber of commerce, but financiers, like lawyers and other skilled professionals, gravitate as much towards the democratic party as towards the republicans. They may oppose minimum wage and such, but the world of finance has had a much more sedate relationship with the democrats in the Obama years, and indeed was as generous as could be expected in the 2012 campaign season despite Obama being relatively populist. I think it's worth pointing out that the Koch brothers are primarily manufacturing barons, not bankers. This isn't to say that the 'investor class' isn't a danger in the long term - another Lehman bros. could happen any year now. But at the moment, the big confrontation will be over low wages for the working class, and it isn't necessarily the bankers' ox being gored there.

Lastly, don't forget that there is a mirror image to the phenomenon of dumb fundamentalist rednecks voting for republicans who will then slash the services they depend on; there are a great many wealthy, successful white folks in cities and on the coasts who are within the tax brackets Republicans want to fellate, but donate to the democrats instead because they detest the GOP's lurch towards crazy religious fundamentalism. Consider that for all his faults, Obama has been vastly better for vulnerable minority groups than the alternative of a McCain or Romney presidency; keep that in mind when you're talking about how Obama should have soaked the rich more. In the short term, the smartest thing to do politically probably WAS to keep taxes on the rich shamefully low, and instead to pay for increased services through the national debt, which is much less likely to disrupt an economic recovery in the short term.

Don't get me wrong; I'm actually glad Warren is running, so she can hopefully force Hillary to move to the left. But I'm inclined to agree that making her the actual candidate is a risk the democrats probably can't take.

I don't know if I'd call well-off people who aren't bigots a mirror image of hateful rednecks. That assumes that, like poor republicans, they're voting against their own interests, but I'd argue that when you make enough money you have the luxury of having interests beyond paying your bills.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

hobbesmaster posted:

Good Lord

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Nope, didn't happen.
K, good. That seemed like something that would have been Big News.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Surprised no prankster tried to get a crowd of Tea Partiers to sing that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ted Cruz has one weird trick to stop same sex marriage, the Supreme Court hates it!

Just take away the federal courts' jurisdiction for cases on the issue!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

site posted:

Ted Cruz has one weird trick to stop same sex marriage, the Supreme Court hates it!

Just take away the federal courts' jurisdiction for cases on the issue!

I'm sure the SCOTUS would love that, wouldn't possibly align SCOTUS against you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Kissinger invented the term realpolitik and was a driving force for detente and normalizing relations with China so yeah he'd absolutely shut all that poo poo down.

The far right hated the poo poo out of detente in it's day, so there's a precedent.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It would not surprise me in the slightest for Ted Cruz to get more involved with the Supreme Court on Gay Rights at some point in the near future.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 6, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

One of my professors actually did use that game as a teaching aid. It was a class on early 20th century European history, and the professor repeatedly used the game to illustrate the diplomatic/military clusterfuck that lead to WW1 and then WW2.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

It would not surprise me in the slightest for Ted Cruz to get more involved with the Supreme Court on Gay Rights at some point in the near future.

I hope RBG beats him with cue stick until he has detached retinas.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/531/got-your-back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I am amazed at how sane Ted Cruz has made Rand Paul look by comparison.

• Locked thread