Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Someone I know through Facebook knew this guy RIP

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ow/46802432.cms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Zo posted:

Nah. Hes always the first to pull the plug on his groups climbs, like the season when the canadian lady croaked. Hes the real deal afaict

And to be fair, he hasn't lost a climber yet. That's probably because he's big man on campus with the commercial climb groups so he gets to get his climbers up and down the mountain as early as possible. A lot of the el-cheapo climb groups lean on Himalayan Experience for resources, like doctors, sherpas, and O2. He lost a couple of mates in the 1996 storm*, I doubt he's being cynical about people dying on the mountain. But he's earning a shitload of money in the process, so I say think about him whatever you want.

Picnic Princess posted:

Someone I know through Facebook knew this guy RIP

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ow/46802432.cms

:rip:

DPM fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 4, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Zo posted:

Nah. Hes always the first to pull the plug on his groups climbs, like the season when the canadian lady croaked. Hes the real deal afaict

Bullshit. He criticized the gently caress out of Outdoor Adventures for not somehow wrestling the Canadian woman off the Hillary Steps, when all you need to do is watch the three seasons of his reality show to realize he's had plenty of clients with summit fever he has been unable to turn around.

The difference is he's been super loving lucky and none of them died. Furthermore, he criticizes the gently caress out of people for leaving the Canadian on the mountain, when he straight up told his climbers to ignore David Sharp on their decent and possibly (according to some of his clients) on their way up.

So while I believe he takes client safety seriously, a lot of what he says about other expeditions is windbaggery.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 4, 2015

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ZombieLenin posted:

Bullshit. He criticized the gently caress out of Outdoor Adventures for not somehow wrestling the Canadian woman off the Hillary Steps, when all you need to do is watch the three seasons of his reality show to realize he's had plenty of clients with summit fever he has been unable to turn around.

The difference is he's been super loving lucky and none of them died. Furthermore, he criticizes the gently caress out of people for leaving the Canadian on the mountain, when he straight up told his climbers to ignore David Sharp on their decent and possibly (according to some of his clients) on their way up.

So while I believe he takes client safety seriously, a lot of what he says about other expeditions is windbaggery.

Lol what the gently caress are you talking about? None of this sounds like him secretly praying for climber deaths, which is what i was responding to. I get that you have some kind of strange hate boner for the man but leave me out of it tia

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Zo posted:

Lol what the gently caress are you talking about? None of this sounds like him secretly praying for climber deaths, which is what i was responding to. I get that you have some kind of strange hate boner for the man but leave me out of it tia

No, you were responding to someone who said a lot of what Brice says about other expeditions is about marketing and doesn't really reflect his opinions about, for example, the effort put into rescuing people in serious trouble in the death zone.

To which, you replied Brice is the genuine "artifact."

The claim about Brice celebrating death on the mountain was an off the cuff joke ancillary to the whole conversation.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 7, 2015

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I just saw The Summit on Netflix and feel like I just watched a snuff film.

Apparently, the most recent 20 or so fatalities were all at or around that loving bottleneck with the overhanging serac. Just look at that thing:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is K2 actually technically complex, or is it just unpredictable and its location remote?

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Meatwave posted:

I just saw The Summit on Netflix and feel like I just watched a snuff film.

Apparently, the most recent 20 or so fatalities were all at or around that loving bottleneck with the overhanging serac. Just look at that thing:

I know this is heading in "oxygen tube escalator" territory, but maybe they should shoot the K2 Serac with a howitzer.

According to Alan Arnette, teams are assembling at base camp.

quote:

Latest Everest News – April 3, 2015
The season is rapidly approaching under the scrutiny of the world’s media after the 2014 tragic season which ended early. If you want your blog or team tracked, please contact me.

Everything going smoothly for the majority of teams as the season begins
A few teams to arrive at EBC this weekend
40 teams have received Everest permits from Nepal, total climbers to be determined.
The route is fixed by the Doctors half way through the Khumbu Icefall
Traditional South Side teams are at same client levels as 2014.

And Arnette is going up Lhotse this year, the peak that you climb if you take a right turn at Everest Camp 4.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

midnightclimax posted:

Is K2 actually technically complex, or is it just unpredictable and its location remote?

K2 is actually a technically difficult climb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's really no other way up K2 besides under the death ice?

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
A businessman local to my area is making an attempt. The article makes him seem somewhat prepared for it. I await to see what happens

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2015/04/birmingham_ceo_departing_for_h.html

quote:

Having been there, and at least having gotten a taste of it, I'm hoping it'll be different this time," Stewart said. "There's this misconception that anybody can just walk up to the top or pay somebody to carry you, which is just so far from the truth. Everest gets a bad rap for being kind of a tourist mountain, but some of the most experienced climbers in the world struggle with Everest."

"I'm sure there's some notoriety that comes with summitting Everest, I'm not going to deny that. That's a motivating factor, and to climb the Seven Summits, because people have done it, and not that many people over 50 have done it," Stewart said. "There's a lot of that selfish ambition involved. To be perfectly honest, I think everybody who climbs Everest has that."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

There's really no other way up K2 besides under the death ice?
There are several routes, but most of them are considered suicidal.

Here's a brief overview.

I Greyhound posted:

I know this is heading in "oxygen tube escalator" territory, but maybe they should shoot the K2 Serac with a howitzer.

That wouldn't do anything but make it even more unstable. It's loving massive and it's ice not just snow.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Here's a brief overview.

That wouldn't do anything but make it even more unstable. It's loving massive and it's ice not just snow.

I think this says a lot about how insane you have to be to climb K2. Like the south side is for you 'if you're not afraid of avalanches'.. except every route on K2 gives you I think a statistical chance of 25% if you die, of dieing in an avalanche. So the with the south route you have an even higher chance of being killed by avalanche, but hey if you're completely loving insane and not afraid of leaving your life up to complete luck..even more so than all the other routes... this is the route for you

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just hanging out at 7800ft in Big Bend

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Wasabi the J posted:

I thought about it, and you're probably quite right. Dump thousands of tons of snow and ice down into lower atmospheric regions where it's prone to melt and collapse even more randomly? Oh gently caress yeah bud.

Oh K2, you are the Ice Serac of my Heart.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Have people tried portable oxygen concentrators for mountaineering? It seems like one that has been re-engineered for light weight and to run directly off a small gas motor instead of batteries would give a lot more breathable oxygen per kg than schlepping tanks around.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Ogive posted:

I thought about it, and you're probably quite right. Dump thousands of tons of snow and ice down into lower atmospheric regions where it's prone to melt and collapse even more randomly? Oh gently caress yeah bud.

Oh K2, you are the Ice Serac of my Heart.

What hosed everyone in 08 even more than just the serac repeatedly collapsing was the fact that it scattered huge chunks of ice all over the bottleneck. So yeah no good there.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wasabi the J posted:

Here's a brief overview.

I don't get it, the Chinese routes, especially the North Ridge, sound so much easier than the Pakistani routes. Why don't more people take them? Hell, it sounds like if you went up there with industrial equipment (hahaha) you could just put a railing on it and then anyone could climb K2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doesn't China limit who can climb their mountains? I remember hearing it's (or was) really hard to get a permit to climb the Chinese side of Everest (Tibet).

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Frozen Horse posted:

Have people tried portable oxygen concentrators for mountaineering? It seems like one that has been re-engineered for light weight and to run directly off a small gas motor instead of batteries would give a lot more breathable oxygen per kg than schlepping tanks around.

I don't think that exists yet. If you could make one small enough to fit in a pack and just use white gas same as your cooking stove, then it might be an option.

Some enterprising goon up to the challenge?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

mistressminako posted:

Google has set up a Virtual Trek of the Khumbu region complete with videos and popup information on the areas in and around Everest.

The ambient sounds and walkarounds in the museums and temples in this are so cool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't think that exists yet. If you could make one small enough to fit in a pack and just use white gas same as your cooking stove, then it might be an option.

Some enterprising goon up to the challenge?

Burning fuel and using up oxygen to concentrate oxygen is kinda :psyduck:

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't China limit who can climb their mountains? I remember hearing it's (or was) really hard to get a permit to climb the Chinese side of Everest (Tibet).

Pretty much this, although at K2 it's not Tibet on the other side. China does not rely on alpine tourism bucks like Nepal and Pakistan do, so they really drag their feet on this stuff.

But even if you were to open up the gates on the Chinese route, logistically, it'd be worse than Everest, as the camp sites are ridiculously small. You would have to get dozens of people coordinated very well to not be literally stepping over each other on a single ridge. You normally get one or two shots at the summit a year, so it would be chaos with more than a handful of climbers.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 5, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

midnightclimax posted:

I'm pretty sure K2 has the high technical difficulty level of D6 (this depends on the scale you use)--extremely loving difficult. From what I recall the easy part of the summit attempt is a 45 degree ascent.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Any consensus on what is the best book on K2? I just finished Touching the Void and Into Thin Air and I'm starting Annapurna: The First Conquest of an 8,000-meter Peak tonight. I need more.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Any consensus on what is the best book on K2? I just finished Touching the Void and Into Thin Air and I'm starting Annapurna: The First Conquest of an 8,000-meter Peak tonight. I need more.

Ed Viesturs' K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain is pretty good, he talks about his K2 climb a little but most of it is about the history of K2 and some of its most famous climbs and attempts. It's a fun and exciting read and Viesturs is himself one of the top climbers ever over 8000 meters, so he writes from a position of expertise. I'm sure that there are some fantastic books about individual years and climbs but Viesturs covers the whole history and you can go from that to find more detailed stuff on specific noteworthy climbs like Americans in '53 or whatever.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 5, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Frozen Horse posted:

Considering it doesn't exist, no, no one has tried a portable gas powered oxygen generator.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If there was an easier way of getting oxygen on the summit besides oxygen bottles, I'm sure some rich moron would have done it. At some point in the future, someone will probably build the pressurized escalator to the top. For a few thousand dollars, be carried to the top to the observation dome and watch climbers die in real time. People might even climb to the top of the observation dome just to get even higher.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 6, 2015

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
I don't think an oxygen concentrator would function in the environment on Everest. They have a lot of sensitive components.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Happy Hedonist posted:

I liked Buried In The Sky, it's about the '08 disaster from the point of view of Sherpas and Pakistani HAPs.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_about_K2

anything by someone who was there

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If any of you all like theatre, the play "K2" is a short, good read. It obviously isn't a super technical text but is still a good read. There is also a play called "Terra Nova", which is about the Scott expedition to the Antarctic. It is also a very good read if you are into this stuff.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
I really want someone to find Malory and Irvine's camera, and I want it to be the case that these crazy fuckers summitted an 8000m peak, and the tallest one at that, in 1924.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

ZombieLenin posted:

I really want someone to find Malory and Irvine's camera, and I want it to be the case that these crazy fuckers summitted an 8000m peak, and the tallest one at that, in 1924.

This has come up a couple times, but unless they find it on the summit under 90 years worth of snow and ice, I don't think it would help much. There is no way the undeveloped film would last that long in the elements.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Gripen5 posted:

This has come up a couple times, but unless they find it on the summit under 90 years worth of snow and ice, I don't think it would help much. There is no way the undeveloped film would last that long in the elements.

Actually my understanding is that Kodak scientists have studied the possibility of developing film from 1924 found on Everest and concluded it should be possible.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

ZombieLenin posted:

Actually my understanding is that Kodak scientists have studied the possibility of developing film from 1924 found on Everest and concluded it should be possible.

Interesting. I hadn't heard such a thing. Either way. I would definitely like more certainty on Mallory's accent, but I have a feeling we know about as much as we ever will.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Madcosby posted:

This isn't a gopro but it is people falling off a mountain

in the zaniest way possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uBFwqI4TlM

one dude die, last i heard, the other was seriously injured and may die, but that's the news from like a week after I saw this

lmfao I am going to hell

I laughed until I got cramps

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gripen5 posted:

Interesting. I hadn't heard such a thing. Either way. I would definitely like more certainty on Mallory's accent, but I have a feeling we know about as much as we ever will.

I'm pretty sure it was Received Pronunciation.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Gripen5 posted:

You are probably right; however, it's such a good mystery and you, or me at least, really want to believe that these guys made it to the top since it cost them their lives.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

lmfao I am going to hell

I laughed until I got cramps

I'm glad I have a hell-buddy. I was intensely ashamed at how much I laughed at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I used to think about maybe one day climbing some big mountains - not Everest or K2, but maybe the Matterhorn or Kilimanjaro. Then I went to Zermatt and took the cable car up to the Klein Matterhorn at a relatively measly height of 3820m. Under no physical strain at all I still felt very uncomfortable, like I was on the verge of being sick or passing out, or both. I can't imagine dealing with that feeling at even higher altitudes while doing physically demanding tasks, so I'll just leave that to other people and I'll just continue reading about it/watching movies about it.

• Locked thread