Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Require More Fire posted:

My buddy apparently just demolished his Droid Maxx screen. He doesn't have insurance through Verizon or whatever. He's not very technical/handy so I think him replacing the screen on it's own is out of the question. What are his options for getting the screen fixed? I don't think he's had the phone for a year yet, but probably more than 6 months.
A few banks and credit unions offer phone insurance if you pay your phone bill with their credit card. Wells Fargo is the big one, but check and see if it's offered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ahahahaha yeah, let me get a few more hours of anime in by making my phone look like its on the other side of a screen door.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Ahahahaha yeah, let me get a few more hours of anime in by making my phone look like its on the other side of a screen door.

Wouldn't this shorten the life of the lit parts of the screen, eventually ensuring that the screen door effect would be permanent?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

-Blackadder- posted:

So I've got my droid turbo and I'm trying to figure out how to increase the battery life. I downloaded the Battery Doctor App and it seems to be able to identify and turn off a bunch of things(70+ apps) that are running in the background, but apparently they don't stay off. Maybe they are on some kind of auto update mode or something, I dunno.

Can anyone tell what I can do to increase battery life? Maybe an app or some settings I can change?
You can disable the verizon installed apps in settings>apps>All if you like. There's not a ton that runs on there and it won't actually save you any space though. Your initial battery life will improve once the phone's done with syncing google poo poo so I'd just give it a few days. Certainly don't use that battery doctor thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've mentioned in other threads here that the display on my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 (rooted, custom recovery and Lollipop ROM installed) has died. Too much dropping damage, I suspect, but I went inside checking for loose cabling, reattaching the video cable, etc. and no dice. So I'm just gonna recycle the thing, but there's a problem: all my data is still there on the internal storage. I don't care about recovering it, but I do want to wipe it out. Is there any way I can do that with a broken display? Over PC or something? (I imagine just formatting the Internal Storage drive via Windows wouldn't work :v:)

(ed) Just to be clear, the phone does still seem to work--at least when it's powered on, volume controls etc. respond as does vibrate. If I hadn't already upgraded to another phone it would probably ring, too. Just no display or touch screen response.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 7, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

sleepwalkers posted:

Wouldn't this shorten the life of the lit parts of the screen, eventually ensuring that the screen door effect would be permanent?

I suspect that unless you have the screen on 24/7 or something similarly exaggerated over normal use, the rest of your phone will become obsolete before partial burn-out on your screen becomes a concern.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm going to be upgrading soon from a Galaxy S3. I'm holding out for the Microsoft Lumia 640 XL, but in the off chance I just get tired of waiting or change my mind, I've a quick question:

What's the general consensus on the S6? I'm kinda on the fence between the 5 and 6 if I stick with Android.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shinjobi posted:

I'm going to be upgrading soon from a Galaxy S3. I'm holding out for the Microsoft Lumia 640 XL, but in the off chance I just get tired of waiting or change my mind, I've a quick question:

What's the general consensus on the S6? I'm kinda on the fence between the 5 and 6 if I stick with Android.

You're holding out for a Windows Phone? Why?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

isndl posted:

I suspect that unless you have the screen on 24/7 or something similarly exaggerated over normal use, the rest of your phone will become obsolete before partial burn-out on your screen becomes a concern.
AMOLED displays are typically power limited and when some pixels are dimmed or off, the display will use the saved power to brighten lit pixels. Seems like this would make the lit pixels burn out even faster unless the program changes the mesh regularly.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8795/understanding-brightness-in-amoled-and-lcd-displays

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Shinjobi posted:

I've seen some pretty diehard Samsung haters raving about it, particularly the Edge. Some excellent reviews in this very forum, even.

isndl
May 2, 2012

butt dickus posted:

AMOLED displays are typically power limited and when some pixels are dimmed or off, the display will use the saved power to brighten lit pixels. Seems like this would make the lit pixels burn out even faster unless the program changes the mesh regularly.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8795/understanding-brightness-in-amoled-and-lcd-displays

That assumes that you're still feeding the same amount of power into the display, though. I would assume that if you're running an app to reduce the number of lit pixels in an attempt to conserve power, you're also cutting the amount of power being fed in.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Got my Moto X today, still doing some setup stuff.

Either it or my old phone didn't want to do the "tap to transfer poo poo" thing, but the auto Android backup does a good enough job of getting back most of my stuff.

Now, maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the 2014 X was on 5.0.1? Is that not true? My drat One M7 has it, why can't a phone released 18 months later have it?

Though to be honest, I don't know what was added in 5.0.1.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443727355"]
You're holding out for a Windows Phone? Why?

I've been suckered into being kinda interested to see how Windows 10 works between devices. App support isn't a major deal breaker, since I can't say I use a ton.

That said, I'm not 100% sold on it. I just didn't see a majority opinion on how the Galaxy held up on the 5 and 6. Lots of divided opinions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
5.1 on my GPE Moto G seems to be doing pretty well. Things occasionally fall out of memory, but at least not when I'm using them (i.e. BeyondPod), but I can definitely tell the difference between 1 and 2 GB of RAM. The battery life is loads better than my N4, though, which is nice.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

DrBouvenstein posted:

My drat One M7 has it, why can't a phone released 18 months later have it?

Because there were too many issues with the pre 5.1 releases that Motorola wants to skip to 5.1 instead.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got my S6 in the mail this afternoon. Phone is slippery as poo poo but thankfully I had some grip tape lying around and it's perfect now :downs:

Seriously though, buy a case or something for this phone.

e. Also I haven't had much time to play with it but I can see that I can't charge the phone on the Vu if it's sitting vertically. I have to turn the phone on its side and then it charges lol.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Skeezy posted:

Got my S6 in the mail this afternoon. Phone is slippery as poo poo but thankfully I had some grip tape lying around and it's perfect now :downs:

Seriously though, buy a case or something for this phone.

e. Also I haven't had much time to play with it but I can see that I can't charge the phone on the Vu if it's sitting vertically. I have to turn the phone on its side and then it charges lol.

I don't find it slippery in 3 days of use, but to each their own. However, it is a bummer to hear about the vu not working 100% with it since I just ordered one :eng99:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't find it slippery in 3 days of use, but to each their own. However, it is a bummer to hear about the vu not working 100% with it since I just ordered one :eng99:

It does work with it, it's just that I have to turn it to the side but it charges. As long as it charges I'm fine.

isndl
May 2, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

It makes me curious to see just where the hell Samsung put the Qi receiver, because the Vu has three separate coils to maximize compatibility.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I forgot to mention that it might be the case I'm using but that would be weird because it's super thin*****

Also I had to go into developer options and tone down the animations because compared to my Nexus 5 the S6 had a lag with the defaults.

Edit: **** I took the phone out of the case and stood it up vertically. Charges just fine so it is the case. Oh well, no biggie. Bit surprised like I said since it's a pretty thin case (http://www.spigen.com/brands/samsung/galaxy/galaxy-s6/galaxy-s6-case-neo-hybrid.html).

Whatever, as long as it works on its side I can live.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 7, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Ah okay coolio.
Supa excited for this phone :)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've had my S6 Edge just under a week. No complaints. The screen is gorgeous, it's super quick and the bloatware wasn't crazy agressive out of the box.

Really happy with my purchase.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Norns posted:

I've had my S6 Edge just under a week. No complaints. The screen is gorgeous, it's super quick and the bloatware wasn't crazy agressive out of the box.

Really happy with my purchase.

How are the sides of the screen for normal usage?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ragingsheep posted:

How are the sides of the screen for normal usage?

Not bad. I don't grip my phones very hard though. They don't seem to dig in, and I feel like I have good grip with it.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

So I've got my droid turbo and I'm trying to figure out how to increase the battery life. I downloaded the Battery Doctor App and it seems to be able to identify and turn off a bunch of things(70+ apps) that are running in the background, but apparently they don't stay off. Maybe they are on some kind of auto update mode or something, I dunno.

Can anyone tell what I can do to increase battery life? Maybe an app or some settings I can change?

I use a combination of this firewall application and llama to limit automated network activity and to turn off the wi-fi/bluetooth when I leave my house (plus other things). Other than that I dunno, get a portable charger?

Also, if anyone knows a better firewall-type app than the one I linked I'd like to hear about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CHARLES posted:

I use a combination of this firewall application and llama to limit automated network activity and to turn off the wi-fi/bluetooth when I leave my house (plus other things). Other than that I dunno, get a portable charger?

Also, if anyone knows a better firewall-type app than the one I linked I'd like to hear about it.
Please tell me about how and why a firewall on a telephone is a good idea.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Well, you see, my android telephone is really more like a computer in that

isndl
May 2, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Well you see, my telephone isn't just a telephone. It's more like... a small country, see? I pay a few apps to move in, maybe get some to visit for free, and they'll put on shows or tell me the news from their homeland for my enjoyment. Some of those apps abuse my boundless generosity however, where they spend my resources to phone home and report on my activities. Highly disrespectful, but what can you do? Find an app that's willing to do a little dirty work. Watch their activities, and tell me what's going on. Turnabout is fair play, right? And when I've had enough of their disrespect, I'll just have those apps... quietly removed. And invite a few new apps to enjoy my boundless generosity, because my phone is rich with CPU cycles and battery power once those degenerate apps are gone. Android uber alles!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CHARLES posted:

You do realise cocking about with background network stuff and turning off WiFi could be making your battery worse right?

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry if this is the wrong thread or was answered before, but I have a question.

My Nexus 5 was an amazing phone with great battery time and very snappy feeling UI and all. Then after the update to Lollipop it basically completely went to poo poo. Bad battery life, constant redraws and stuff like that.

I got a Xperia Z3 for a few weeks now and that is definitely my favourite phone so far and I am really happy with it, especially the battery life. Now it is adamant about reminding me it wants to update to Lollipop. Does one of you know if that update works fine or will I have the same issues? I also don't care about any 5.0. features, but the the phone reminds me daily that I should update. What to do?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

skit herre posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread or was answered before, but I have a question.

My Nexus 5 was an amazing phone with great battery time and very snappy feeling UI and all. Then after the update to Lollipop it basically completely went to poo poo. Bad battery life, constant redraws and stuff like that.

I got a Xperia Z3 for a few weeks now and that is definitely my favourite phone so far and I am really happy with it, especially the battery life. Now it is adamant about reminding me it wants to update to Lollipop. Does one of you know if that update works fine or will I have the same issues? I also don't care about any 5.0. features, but the the phone reminds me daily that I should update. What to do?
Either take the chance or not? What are you looking for here?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I've had Lollipop on my Z3C for about a week now, and I've not encountered any particular problems. Not sure what other people have experienced.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Lollipop came to my LG G2 a few days ago and I hate it. It has dramatically reduced the performance of my phone (apps take much longer to open/close, it's seriously sluggish at all times, etc), apps freeze up for a while occasionally, etc. I never rooted it. Is there any way to get rid of this bullshit and go back to the nice phone I used to have?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Skarsnik posted:

You do realise cocking about with background network stuff and turning off WiFi could be making your battery worse right?

I suppose I realize that that is a possibility. Is there a reason though that performance would decrease with wi-fi turned off and less network activity or were you just literally asking if I had considered it a possibility? Regardless, even if it did I would still use those two items because app permissions and wi-fi hotspots aren't very kind to privacy.

isndl
May 2, 2012

CHARLES posted:

I suppose I realize that that is a possibility. Is there a reason though that performance would decrease with wi-fi turned off and less network activity or were you just literally asking if I had considered it a possibility? Regardless, even if it did I would still use those two items because app permissions and wi-fi hotspots aren't very kind to privacy.

Poorly coded apps will not recognize a lack of network access and continue to attempt communication. This leads to wake-locks, which in turn uses more battery than simply allowing network access. The only real fix to excessive app permissions is to simply not use the app.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Plus lack of Wifi means any location request will go straight to the battery hungry GPS, when a coarse Wifi request would have been enough

Your phone isn't going to just connect to any random hot spot unless you specifically tell it to, so the privacy argument is silly

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Either take the chance or not? What are you looking for here?

Advice from people that have upgraded and can tell me if it is a good or a bad idea? Don't get what your problem is.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Your phone isn't going to just connect to any random hot spot unless you specifically tell it to, so the privacy argument is silly

To be fair, a lot of apps request far more permissions than they actually need. You have the obvious bullshit where a flashlight app is requesting internet access and your full contacts list, but there's a lot of other apps that have semi-plausible reasons to use an odd permission. It doesn't help that Google now hides the full internet access permission by default, so you have to go the extra mile just to check for that in conjunction with all the other requests.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dont install lovely apps then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

skit herre posted:

Advice from people that have upgraded and can tell me if it is a good or a bad idea? Don't get what your problem is.
This is the thread for people to get egregiously rear end-blasted over smartphones, get with the program dweeb