Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Because simply introducing them to the station early on and telling them what it does and how wouldn't have been trivially easy. loving with the system so completely because they failed at conveying very basic information is just as rock stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
As much as I hated the combat lab when I first started in 0.6, I have to admit that it served a vital function that wasn't apparent until it was removed.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I didn't know they took that out. I remembered when I started I had to sit through a small tutorial area that made you jetpack over obstacles and then switch classes to destroy practice targets with different weapons and abilities.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fina posted:

I didn't know they took that out. I remembered when I started I had to sit through a small tutorial area that made you jetpack over obstacles and then switch classes to destroy practice targets with different weapons and abilities.

Back in my day we had to drive a motorcycle out of the core of a mountain for our tutorial.

Then they got rid of storytelling.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If people are too stupid to figure out how to change frames, they coulda put a big screen when the game world loads that says "Pick your frame!!" and then a picture of each frame, and below that it says "You can change frames at stations in town here's what they look like on the map!". Bam, every time you log in and load the game you click the picture of the dude you want to be, and stupid people can try any frame they want, and even if they learn nothing else logging out and logging back lets them pick again.

Wanna be assault? Click the assault guy. Next time you wanna be dreadnought, click the dreadnought guy. Same functionality as the stations and with the idiot proofing of not being able to click past it. Players who knew what they were doing can click the check box in the corner that says "don't show me this option any more".

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Inimicul posted:

As much as I hated the combat lab when I first started in 0.6, I have to admit that it served a vital function that wasn't apparent until it was removed.

I liked the Combat Lab when it was first pushed. :smith:

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
Once Nalin told me that the LGV launching was back I decided to come and try out the PTS experience. Nothing quite like clearing twice the height of a mountain from it's base within two seconds. Thank you Nalin and Red5 for making this a reality, I actually had some fun again.

JonusRockweller fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 10, 2015

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

JonusRockweller posted:

Once Nalin told me that the LGV launching was back I decided to come and try out the PTS experience. Nothing quite like clearing twice the height of a mountain from it's base within two seconds. Thank you Nalin and Red5 for making this a reality, I actually had some fun again.

How?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

They changed the way the P-1 LGV is spawned. Instead of a normal calldown, the "ride LGV" effect is instantly applied to your character. This means you can spawn your LGV while in midair. If you crouch on a hill, you can spawn it partially inside the terrain, which causes the physics engine to eject it with enough force to reach low orbit.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Wouldn't that splat you on landing, or do vehicles not take fall damage?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ShadowMoo posted:

Wouldn't that splat you on landing, or do vehicles not take fall damage?

Your vehicle may or may not die, but you have a couple seconds to jump off before it explodes and kills you.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Nalin posted:

They changed the way the P-1 LGV is spawned. Instead of a normal calldown, the "ride LGV" effect is instantly applied to your character. This means you can spawn your LGV while in midair. If you crouch on a hill, you can spawn it partially inside the terrain, which causes the physics engine to eject it with enough force to reach low orbit.

Does this only work with the P-1? I can't log in today to try it unfortunately.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

inkmoth posted:

Does this only work with the P-1? I can't log in today to try it unfortunately.

There has only been two LGVs available on the PTS so far: the Cobra P-1, which you get right away, and the Cobra K-12, which was the daily reward for the 1st day of the PTS. The K-12 has the old calldown style.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
Any word on when this goes to live? I've kind of lost the desire to play, now that I've had a taste of the PTS changes.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Any word on when this goes to live? I've kind of lost the desire to play, now that I've had a taste of the PTS changes.

Probably winter. Or maybe 2016. Seriously.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I may not be a games dev, but it seems letting your new barely above-water mmo go nearly 12 months without a content update seems like a bad idea.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It is for literally every other MMO out there but Red5 is funded but the Chinese government so they can do whatever they want and just stay in development for the rest of time. And do all the complete overhauls they want.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

So, rolling around with Firecat. Trying to figure out what I want to do with my abilities. I like the stock abilities enough that I'm not compelled to bring in any of the Accord Assault abilities. However, I'm torn on ability mods and cores. For ability mods I'm planning on keep the wider AoE, but I'm not sure if I want the extra damage or reduce the cooldown/increase duration. As for cores, I've been running around with the energy recharge to make clumping up mobs easier and I've been considering swapping to a health regen or max health core to let me stay on fire in larger packs of mobs for longer. Any thoughts?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

d3lness posted:

So, rolling around with Firecat. Trying to figure out what I want to do with my abilities. I like the stock abilities enough that I'm not compelled to bring in any of the Accord Assault abilities. However, I'm torn on ability mods and cores. For ability mods I'm planning on keep the wider AoE, but I'm not sure if I want the extra damage or reduce the cooldown/increase duration. As for cores, I've been running around with the energy recharge to make clumping up mobs easier and I've been considering swapping to a health regen or max health core to let me stay on fire in larger packs of mobs for longer. Any thoughts?

Really, anything will work, but arguable the best Assault core in the game is this:
http://tamosheik.com/cores/ScorcherNest

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
You should at least get Afterburner, if not Overcharge as well. One of the nice things about Firecat is that basically all of the abilities are desirable, even the base class ones.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The more I mess with the PTS, the more boring I'm finding the up coming combat. I kind of miss the old 0.6 combat where everything was equally nasty and the difference between a noob and a maxed out twink was just 100%.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ralith posted:

You should at least get Afterburner, if not Overcharge as well. One of the nice things about Firecat is that basically all of the abilities are desirable, even the base class ones.

I run an energy core for flying funtime - paired with afterburner, thermal wave and the fire-dash skill that firecats get (forget the name). HKM is Shockwave
Mind you, this was a perma-flight setup back before they absolutely hosed Cooldown Reduction, yet it still allows for endless mobility while pummeling enemies with your thermal canon.

One of the key passives for this is the 'chance to gain fire rate on hit' one - which most of the time has you firing at double normal rate. With the thermal secondary fire this is insane dps, plus dot.

castille
Jan 22, 2015
Verificating because the Army App says to :P

Oh, yeah, character name is Mazran.

castille fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 19, 2015

Ferrett
Sep 6, 2000

I applied for thine army, character name Clownballoon.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ferrett posted:

I applied for thine army, character name Clownballoon.

I've added you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azesI46Vds4

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Do people still play this?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DreadLlama posted:

Do people still play this?

The army still has a few people who log in every now and then. I play it maybe once every two weeks. There just isn't any new content right now so lots of people have pretty much hit the end and are just waiting. The next big patch will have arena PvP so there will probably be some staying power at that point. Possibly.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Nalin posted:

The army still has a few people who log in every now and then. I play it maybe once every two weeks. There just isn't any new content right now so lots of people have pretty much hit the end and are just waiting. The next big patch will have arena PvP so there will probably be some staying power at that point. Possibly.

I'm waiting to hear of a new patch that bumps up the content. Once that happens I"ll most likely hop in and start gunning again.

EDIT: VVVVV P much that.

Fishvilla fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 10, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Fishvilla posted:

I'm waiting to hear of a new patch that wipes everything out so I can start from scratch yet again.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm getting pretty close to having to make my 4th account to do exactly that. Hell, even my 4 year old son (who spends most of his time dying to aranha) has been doing so for so long he almost has his first max level frame.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The next big patch will have arena PvP, post-40 progression, new combat, new missions, new crafting, item upgrading, better thumpers, and more. But it's still going to take half a year to finish. Rolling low on Kana gets really old in the meantime.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Have they relented on their plan to not let you change your character's appearance on a whim or whatever other stupid poo poo they were planning to do?

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
Arena PVP will risge again! And then promptly die off again. :(

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

chumbler posted:

Have they relented on their plan to not let you change your character's appearance on a whim or whatever other stupid poo poo they were planning to do?

They won't restrict your ability to change your appearance. However, they are going to change it so new players won't start with all 5 Accord frames unlocked. You will only start with 1 Accord frame, and it will change to an Advanced from at level 20.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Does that mean you cant switch frames depending on what you're doing anymore?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DreadLlama posted:

Have fun making a new character every time you want to see what another frame is like :(

This game is supposed to appeal to players that want something a bit different than traditional MMOs. Swapping frames out did that, restricting frame access doesn't.

You guys that are good at the game might think getting to level 20 is no big deal, but I made a new character once the change took effect, played around with the game for a couple weeks before getting bored, and I was only in the high teens. I still keep an eye on the thread and pop in the game every once in a while, but the frame swapping change is definitely an impediment for a casual player like me.

Edit - Really, I play this game like a "Bigger Borderlands". I've played a lot of every border lands title, with a good mix of single player and multiplayer. I enjoy playing Borderlands by myself, but it's also a blast to join up with my friends in co-op. I'd like for this game to be similar. Maybe that's not what they're going for, but I certainly don't pay money for WoW or other MMOs but I do/did spend money on MP FPS games like tf2. I'd figure the Firefall Devs would want to get money from someone like me who would like to play something in between tf2 and wow.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 11, 2015

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Oh. Well from the sounds of it I'll do something else then.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DreadLlama posted:

You can, if you have unlocked more than one frame. And this only will be for new accounts in half a year or so.

Jack B Nimble posted:

You guys that are good at the game might think getting to level 20 is no big deal, but I made a new character once the change took effect, played around with the game for a couple weeks before getting bored, and I was only in the high teens. I still keep an eye on the thread and pop in the game every once in a while, but the frame swapping change is definitely an impediment for a casual player like me.

It... hasn't happened yet, though. Did you play on the PTS or something? It doesn't really take long to get to level 20 on the PTS. You hit it by the time you reach Neutretic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
As much as I've been an apologist for this game in the past I'm afraid the combat changes don't feel better to me. I understand they chose to go with a linear grind to appeal to gamers who couldn't figure out how to use the battleframe stations and quit when they found they could not make another character. What I do not understand is why they could have enabled multiple characters per account without coming up with this accord frame bullshit.

• Locked thread