Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've actually thought about this too, maybe fire elementals are like phoenixes and the way they're reborn is by literally giving birth to a new version of themselves every couple of decades? The new being has the same soul, but no memories of any of their past lives.

It's a neat idea, but it raise one very important question: Why the gently caress wouldn't Annie's parents tell her any of this? I can understand Anthony withholding this information for whatever reason (because that's just kind of what he does), but I feel like Surma would/should have let Annie know "I'm not dying, I'm literally becoming you. I'm going to live because you're going to live." if this was what was going on.

Well the easiest way to explain that is her mother never told her, so she couldn't tell Annie what she didn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think we're putting too much value on that one line. It would be an interesting way for the story to go, but whose parents haven't said 'when you have your own kids you'll X Y Z', 'when you get married' etc? It's just how people talk about common life events.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hodgepodge posted:

Although I'm partisan, the way he phrased it, "some form of control," indicates that he knows next to nothing about how or why Annie controls Reynard. If he had talked to literally anyone about it, he'd know that he's on dicey ground and risks freeing Reynard.
You'll never understand the true power of friendship, Tony

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really really don't think the comic will extend to Annie starting a family of her own, especially since she has no candidate for a love interest at this point.

Coyote has been incorrect or misinformed before. See also how he thought Eglamore was Annie's father. Or heck he could mean that Annie is effectively immortal otherwise.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 6, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Splicer posted:

Reynard is his real name, Reynardine is his nickname.

You sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynardine

:shrug:

e. I mean I know Reynard also has a long history but which is ~correct~ isn't really spelled out in the comic is it?

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 6, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The thing is, we don't know what Anthony has been doing these past years. He may have developed some sort of omega weapon that can kill gods or whatever, so he's probably king poo poo of the Court for all we know. It's entirely likely that Anthony is our primary antagonist and we're finally being introduced to him.

Frankly, Annie needed a bit of suffering to mature her character. Her growth has been quite fluid, but she hasn't really had a character-defining hardship. Stripping her of everything she's come to embrace as her identity will do this nicely--how she overcomes this will be a major aspect of the next few chapters, I feel. Anthony almost certainly isn't going away, but I strongly doubt Annie will always obey him either. Her overcoming this is literally her biggest personal flaw/struggle and is going to be a major thing for awhile now.

EDIT: Alternatively, we'll have a moment after Annie leaves where Anthony hangs his head and says "I'm sorry Surma" and we'll feel bad for him and the chapter will end.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 6, 2015

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

e. I mean I know Reynard also has a long history but which is ~correct~ isn't really spelled out in the comic is it?
Renard is his name, Surma gives him the nickname Reynardine, being "the name of a demon who steals the hearts of young girls".

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=790

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

maswastaken posted:

Renard is his name, Surma gives him the nickname Reynardine, being "the name of a demon who steals the hearts of young girls".

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=790

OK thanks for the clarification.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Anthony almost certainly isn't going away,

I'm not too certain of this. Unless his and Annie's role in the comic gets put in the backburner and the story changes focus I could very easily see him dead or otherwise completely disabled very soon. The focus can't stay on Annie in a study-a-thon unless it's sped up, and her breaking the new rules could easily put him in danger as their primary enforcer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really hope that there's at least some sort of conflict between Kat and Annie over the cheating, and she doesn't just straight up forgive her. That's the sort of thing that shouldn't be tolerated, least of all between best friends.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

YF-23 posted:

I'm not too certain of this. Unless his and Annie's role in the comic gets put in the backburner and the story changes focus I could very easily see him dead or otherwise completely disabled very soon. The focus can't stay on Annie in a study-a-thon unless it's sped up, and her breaking the new rules could easily put him in danger as their primary enforcer.

It'd be weird to get rid of him so soon, although there's a few ways to do it. I think if anything, this will be the last straw, and Annie will abandon the Court entirely.

As far as I can tell, Kat and Annie have been cast on polar sides of a conflict, and while Annie has been portrayed as the peace maker between the two sides, eventually them being separated is going to create what I assume to be the final conflict, as Kat will become the mad robot queen and Annie will become the burning symbol of nature's wrath at the cold nature of mankind. This could be the start of a big denouement.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

It'd be weird to get rid of him so soon
Renard will set him on fire and break his back and eat him.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I really hope that there's at least some sort of conflict between Kat and Annie over the cheating, and she doesn't just straight up forgive her. That's the sort of thing that shouldn't be tolerated, least of all between best friends.

Kat will I think absolutely forgive her. The most she would think will be that "if you were in trouble keeping up, you should have come to me openly and told me and I'd have agreed to tutor you! Why didn't I see earlier that you were having trouble?" There's basically zero way Annie has harmed Kat, and besides just because Annie copied her homework doesn't mean Annie learned literally nothing from that.

It's Annie who wouldn't forgive herself and can be easily induced to think that Kat now hates her, or that her relationship is a threat to Kat's success, and would thus keep her distance, probably also reasoning that now that Kat has Paz she wouldn't need her.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

As far as I can tell, Kat and Annie have been cast on polar sides of a conflict, and while Annie has been portrayed as the peace maker between the two sides, eventually them being separated is going to create what I assume to be the final conflict, as Kat will become the mad robot queen and Annie will become the burning symbol of nature's wrath at the cold nature of mankind. This could be the start of a big denouement.

This has me wondering...considering the story Coyote told about himself being the product of belief, could it be possible that the image the robot's belief about Kat will manifest itself as an entity independent of Kat? A sort of Court counterpart to Coyote.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Doesn't Zimmy see Kat as some sort of giant ironworks sculpture made out of swords or something

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Rei_ posted:

Doesn't Zimmy see Kat as some sort of giant ironworks sculpture made out of swords or something

Yep! It's (part of) my avatar.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

EDIT: Alternatively, we'll have a moment after Annie leaves where Anthony hangs his head and says "I'm sorry Surma" and we'll feel bad for him and the chapter will end.

Nope, still gonna hate him forever. That's what I was talking about before. He is already irredeemable for many many people.

He's either gotta stay the big bad guy, slip off into absenteeism again, or die.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I think we can all agree that Anthony Carver does not care *at all* about Annie's emotions. Even if you think he's trying to be a good dad, he clearly does not take her feelings into account when he acts. Look at what's he done:

1. Abandoned her to the court for six years shortly after her mother's death.

2. Virtually no communication between them during this time. Certainly no explanation for his absence.

3. Decides to re-enter her life by ambushing her in public, as a teacher. There's no private reunion, no letter giving her a head's up, no phone call, nothing. That's got to be one of the worst ways to show up after disappearing for so long.

4. Immediately publicly humiliates her in class and then proceeds to turn her life upside down by cutting her off from friends, taking away Renard, and so forth.

5. There's also the magical surgery he attempted on her.

Annie is in shock and Anthony doesn't even seem to notice or care. I would bet she becomes incredibly depressed and withdrawn, possibly to the point where she gives up on life. Teenagers have attempted suicide over less emotional trauma. Keep in mind that she probably still has survivor's guilt over her mother's death. He's either doing this intentionally (probably wants to soften her up so removing the fire elemental spirit is easier) or he is one of those guys that thinks all emotions are useless, especially in women.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rei_ posted:

Paz saw it briefly too at the end of Torn Sea.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rei_ posted:

Right, a projection into the ether, how the robots view her is being made "real" via the ether (like ship whale). But Kat rejects the notion she is some sort of robot angel, but there it is nevertheless so it either is her, she becomes it, or it, through a property of the ether, it becomes its own entity.

At least, that's how my thinking sorts the possibilities.

e. and I'm happy to be wrong (again) but anything to avoid thinking about what is actually happening is ok with me :smith:

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 6, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

clockworkjoe posted:

he is one of those guys that thinks all emotions are useless, especially in women.

Or he's just Schizoid, or even Schizotypal.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

clockworkjoe posted:

I would bet she becomes incredibly depressed and withdrawn, possibly to the point where she gives up on life.

I'm not entirely sure how I'd feel if this actually happened. Poor Annie!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I really hope sometime in the next three or four chapters Rey gets a chance to just up and posses Anthony so he can be Annie's new dad.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

I couldn't resist it anymore.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

I Said No posted:

Anthony has taken away the forest's party. And that's terrible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

I think we can all agree that Anthony Carver does not care *at all* about Annie's emotions.

I don't agree.

I'm really just amazed at all the people jumping to the conclusion that Anthony is pure evil, or autistic, or a sociopath, or whatever, just because he's being strict with Annie and Tom hasn't immediately revealed the reason for his actions. You people obviously haven't been reading the same comic I have. When was the last time the comic featured a character who was unambiguously evil? Keep in mind that Renard, a demon who murders people and possesses their bodies, is one of the the most popular characters in the comic.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I Said No posted:

Why did you ever resist it in the first place :allears:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Either Anthony or Antimony is going to leave the school by the end of this chapter. They can't exist together, simple enough. And Antimony's distrust of authority, being bad enough, will not allow him to keep driving her off a cliff as he is.

He is basically stepping in and dismantling her life bit by bit, and if she doesn't stand up to him someone is going to convince her to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't agree.

I'm really just amazed at all the people jumping to the conclusion that Anthony is pure evil, or autistic, or a sociopath, or whatever, just because he's being strict with Annie and Tom hasn't immediately revealed the reason for his actions. You people obviously haven't been reading the same comic I have. When was the last time the comic featured a character who was unambiguously evil? Keep in mind that Renard, a demon who murders people and possesses their bodies, is one of the the most popular characters in the comic.

It's almost like we're judging him by his actions and words instead of by a hypothetical future revelation that may or may not recontextualize them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It's almost like we're judging him by his actions and words instead of by a hypothetical future revelation that may or may not recontextualize them.

It's almost like he's a fictional character in a webcomic, and not a real life person.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't agree.

He's not being strict. If he was just a strict parent, he would have been there for the last six years and her cheating would have been caught much earlier, if she cheated at all. He abandoned her when she needed him most, hasn't provided any actual guidance to her and has put her into shock by dumping everything on her at once. He may have good intentions but he doesn't care how she processes it. You can achieve the same goals but minimize the emotional damage.

If he had introduced himself before class with some people she trusts, then I could believe he cares about her emotional well being. Stage it like an intervention or something. But the way he's delivering the news is maximizing the damage, needlessly. Either he doesn't care or he wants her to suffer.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

clockworkjoe posted:

I think we can all agree that Anthony Carver does not care *at all* about Annie's emotions. Even if you think he's trying to be a good dad, he clearly does not take her feelings into account when he acts. Look at what's he done:

1. Abandoned her to the court for six years shortly after her mother's death.

Again, being super pedantic here, it's been slightly less than four years. Annie started partway through year 7, it's now the start of year 10. Still very bad and I completely agree with you overall but I feel like being a super sperglord today!

I guess the difference between 4 and 6 years isn't really all that much but whaatever~

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Bad people are allowed to exist in Gunnerkrigg Court.

Edit:
Also, Hetty in Chapter 43 was pretty evil.

And whoever was responsible for the power station thing that was torturing Zimmy way back.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 7, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fangz posted:

I'm sure Anthony will turn out to be a thoroughly nuanced rear end in a top hat

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't agree.

Well, we had Diego. And Hetty.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Well, we had Diego. And Hetty.

Hetty did nothing wrong

She was the hero we deserve

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

I Said No posted:

This is, incidentally, the Coyote version of someone having gay sex with a brazen idol of a pig atop the murdered corpse of their father in the Holy of Holies while shouting "Yahweh!" over and over in pleasure.

e: and the pig statue is their neighbor's wife.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

Like Coyote. Memory eating, encouraging Renard to posess the young boy killing him, threatening Annie with the arm bind and being a manipulative rear end in a top hat in general. Annie even likes him, same must go for Anthony.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

It's almost like he's a fictional character in a webcomic, and not a real life person.

Well if you're going to go there, why are you getting annoyed at people for reacting to Anthony the way the story clearly wants them to react? People hated Snape, too, even if he had good reasons to do the stuff he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kikas posted:

Like Coyote. Memory eating, encouraging Renard to posess the young boy killing him, threatening Annie with the arm bind and being a manipulative rear end in a top hat in general. Annie even likes him, same must go for Anthony.

Coyote is malicious and fun.

Anthony is malicious and very very unfun.