Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Midnight Moth posted:

Newsflash, Jeff - The writing in Dustin sucks hard and the art is its only saving grace.

Oh dang it was Jeff Parker who said it? My work's filter blocked it so I couldn't see the whole quote.

I can't believe Steve Kelley spends more than about ten minutes on each strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Jeff Parker is a good artist but an oblivious moron and a sucker for getting roped into doing all the work.

Shugojin posted:

I was gonna see if I could just tweet at Steve Kelley and ask what's up with that, but instead I found the blurb from Dustin and, well:

I'm glad Steve Kelley doesn't seem to HAVE a twitter :v:
Dustin Kudlick has a Facebook page that I'm pretty sure is run by Parker. I've messaged it before asking why everyone was such a prick to Dustin and never got a response.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 6, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (December 13-14, 1926)

I like this strip

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

RandomFerret posted:

Between the vr goggles and the robot vacuum from last week, I wonder if there isn't some connection between the Pooch Café and Bleeker universes. Both strips are Canadian, and they both feature a talking, box-shaped dog that is incapable of any but a flimsy simulation of kindness or empathy.

Poncho was Bleeker's old identity before his... conversion.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 6, 2015

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

You know, until it got fouled up by the subsequent strips, we very nearly came close to someone in Intelligent Life realizing that being a huge manchild is a bad thing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

You know, until it got fouled up by the subsequent strips, we very nearly came close to someone in Intelligent Life realizing that being a huge manchild is a bad thing.

Welcome to "self-insert" cranked up to an extreme :(

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
It's painful how badly Intelligent Life is failing the Bechdel Test.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo, in which suddenly everybody who isn't working on the canal through the Earth has an opinion. (April 3-5, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (June 9-11, 1952)

And now, three Super-Fun-Pak Comix that I missed last week to stand in for all of them.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I think the idea with the kid in Dustin is that we're supposed to think Dustin is so immature that he may as well be a little boy too. Personally I like to think that Dustin is either being paid to babysit, or else the kid's parents (who we never see) are really distant and Dustin is trying to be a mentor for him or something.

Glass blowing can't die; it has its rightful place as a legacy art practiced by a handful of people for the sake of creating neat things by hand, like blacksmithing or pottery. Newspaper comics though, those are gonna be dead a doornail.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also, making really loving complicated lab-ware.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

Also, making really loving complicated lab-ware.

Yeah, any chemistry department worth their salt has a glassblower.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life
Skippo, I don't think you understand the rules of this competition, because Klingons are still nerdness and therefore shittier than sportness. Betty, save the zings for the bedroom.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Third Murderer posted:

I think the idea with the kid in Dustin is that we're supposed to think Dustin is so immature that he may as well be a little boy too. Personally I like to think that Dustin is either being paid to babysit, or else the kid's parents (who we never see) are really distant and Dustin is trying to be a mentor for him or something.
It's kind of hard to buy the Dustin is a lazy immature slacker narrative when you have strips of him coaching little league or substitute teaching or being berated at the temp agency. Also the kid (Hayden) is named after Steve Kelley's son so it could just be Kelley incorporating some kind of "kids say the darndest things" into his strip.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:smith:

Although that one eye makes him look like a deformed cyclops.

Poil fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 7, 2015

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
More Fritzi Ritz, along with the headlines from that day.

4/26/27

4/27/27

4/28/27

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, any chemistry department worth their salt has a glassblower.

Potheads buy shitloads of hand blown glass.

edit: VV looks like Luann is also soon to get a haircut.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 7, 2015

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Not an edit. Apparently the Evanses were feeling saucy when they wrote this.

Sally Forth

Just write it, dude, and don't stop long enough to let your doubts catch up to you. You can come back and edit later.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Black Widow is a blonde now!

Or not.

Prince Valiant

:stonk:

Juliet Jones

Their parents named them Tom, Dick, and Harry and should be brought up on child abuse charges.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

:siren::siren::siren:

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Deep Dark Fears

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is a classic quality death. Good job Prince Valiant team.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

This one is darker than most Deep Dark Fears. :stare:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

That is a classic quality death. Good job Prince Valiant team.

After all the classic Prince Valiant ( :( ) I was expecting his head to be stuck on the bow.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

And the author was never heard from again.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

You guys get Monday off too?! No Nemi 'til tomorrow, I guess. I'll just sit here and wo (post to SA) rk. :v:

Have an old one.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

It's kind of hard to buy the Dustin is a lazy immature slacker narrative when you have strips of him coaching little league or substitute teaching or being berated at the temp agency. Also the kid (Hayden) is named after Steve Kelley's son so it could just be Kelley incorporating some kind of "kids say the darndest things" into his strip.

Oh, I don't mean to say I thought it worked, I was just guessing at the intent.

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

Several of those rooms appear unreachable. :ohdear:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

I had a bad dream last night that I found out my credit score had become zero. Talk about crappy adult nightmares.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My nightmares these days are 'suddenly remembering I had an extra pet and all this time I havent fed it oh no why is there a skeleton here' :ohdear:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I've been out of high school for over 15 years and I still have that dream where I have a final in a math class I forgot to ever attend and I can't find the room and if I don't pass it I won't graduate and become a productive adult oh god... :(

A couple floor plans would be handy in that dream.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

So did it take Steve Kelley 3-4 hours to come up with this joke?

Bleeker

Come on. If he said Bleeker it would just make Karl and Refurb upset. You can't win.

On the Fastrack

Well dumb of them to leave a paper trail.

Safe Havens

He probably ate your eggs too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Julet Esqu posted:

I've been out of high school for over 15 years and I still have that dream where I have a final in a math class I forgot to ever attend and I can't find the room and if I don't pass it I won't graduate and become a productive adult oh god... :(

I've been out of the Navy for 10 years and I still have dreams about either still being in the Navy or going back into it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

It never occurred to me before, but they both have really bad posture.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I'm amazed at how correct that Monopoly board is with all the details. Clearly it took far less time to draw that than write the joke.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It never occurred to me before, but they both have really bad posture.

On the other hand, they're all able to tilt 45 degrees and stay as stiff as a board.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's weird how old Dilbert is. It was first published in 1989. I feel like all of the original humor and charm is long gone.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Elysiume posted:

It's weird how old Dilbert is. It was first published in 1989. I feel like all of the original humor and charm is long gone.

Honestly after 26 years it would be far, far more surprising if it actually managed to retain the original humor and charm..

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Yep, that would do it.

Kliban's Cats

What Bob Ross' cat did when he was out.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/7/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

So, not only are you allowing (forcing) him to live a lie, you're allowing him to profit from it too? Awesome.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Apartment 3-G

Unfortunately, Margo will not be day drinking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth
Oh come on, Hil. What 17-22 year old keeps receipts? You gave that one away.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set saves minutes.

Working Daze is lazy.

• Locked thread