Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
poo poo that pisses me off, this derai-- oh, wrong thread.

A ticket didn't come in-- Apparently in the last 3 weeks that I've been working on the functionality for a vendor API project, every business-level coworker related to that project left the company. Not fired, just found new jobs. So now I'm left with a fully-implemented and completed project, and nobody to send the ticket back to or any information about the required login information to get into the admin interface to ensure that data's being sent back through the API properly.

Normally I wouldn't care, but I can't help but think that someone's going to come back in a month and ask why this was never deployed. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure that he knows exactly what the previous posters are talking about. Don't bother.
I just wanted to call him a dumbass again.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A ticket went out! To our VoIP provider.

Recently we've been having serious phone issues, our entire site goes down with no inbound and outbound capability. The provider has a Hatteras box (with a 20 meg copper line running into it) and an Adtran router on site and packet captures show that SIP traffic is not flowing to the Adtran from the Hatteras. After a reboot of the Adtran everything is peachy so I assume it's the physical device and get the provider to replace it . Fast forward to today our phones go down again so I do the whole rigamarole of rebooting things and running packet captures. Only this time I pay a little bit more attention to what Wireshark is spitting out (my IP addresses changed)

code:
REGISTER sip:66.666.666.66 SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 58.22.87.35:5204;branch=z9hG4bK-3809109157;rport
Content-Length: 0
Accept: application/sdp
User-Agent: friendly-scanner
To: "2957508204" <sip:2957508204@66.666.666.66>
CSeq: 1 REGISTER
Call-ID: 349572339
Max-Forwards: 70

SIP/2.0 403 Forbidden
To: "2957508204" <sip:2957508204@66.666.666.66>;tag=zXcVbNmf2701b5fb
CSeq: 1 REGISTER
Call-ID: 349572339
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 58.22.87.35:5204;branch=z9hG4bK-3809109157;rport
Content-Length: 0
Rinse and repeat about 15,000 times. I checked the IP and it's originating in China! And a quick google search of friendly-agent leads me to a program called SIPVicious. Looks like we're getting scanned so much it's turning into a DOS attack. :argh:

So I shoot off an e-mail to our provider with the packet captures attach and let them know that we're being aggressively scanned and to see if they can do something about it. Resisting the urge to ask them why the gently caress they didn't catch this the half dozen times they were "troubleshooting" the problem. I know it should be a relatively easy fix for them to block it upstream, I'm just amazed nobody there noticed. So now to twiddle my thumbs and wait for someone to get back to me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SIPVicious is an interesting thing, in that it appears to be a legitimate testing tool that's being misused to try and commit toll fraud. Sometimes it's misconfigured and instead of trying to register using well-known passwords it just ends up ringing phones.

The vast majority of UTM firewalls have signatures specifically for it (or honestly just block the entire Chinese IP space if you never expect legitimate traffic to come from there), so this should be reasonably easy to fix. It's strange that it seems to be causing issues in what should be a dumb EDD device though.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

SIPVicious is an interesting thing, in that it appears to be a legitimate testing tool that's being misused to try and commit toll fraud. Sometimes it's misconfigured and instead of trying to register using well-known passwords it just ends up ringing phones.

The vast majority of UTM firewalls have signatures specifically for it (or honestly just block the entire Chinese IP space if you never expect legitimate traffic to come from there), so this should be reasonably easy to fix. It's strange that it seems to be causing issues in what should be a dumb EDD device though.

The Hatteras is handling the traffic fine, it's the Adtran that seems to be choking. I know that if the provider blocks it upstream it mitigate the problem but I'll probably have our engineer block it in our firewall and SBC just to be safe.

I'm just annoyed that nobody at our provider noticed the HUGE amount of traffic coming from a Chinese IP.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

quote:

My soft phone voice mail messages are being routed to Samantha instead of coming in on my line. We thought one person was just dialing incorrectly but now it has happened another time.
Thank you,
Stacy xxxxxxx
Office Manager, [location]
xxxxxx, Inc.
xxx-xxx-4344
and my reply

quote:

They're being routed to Samantha because they are calling Samantha's phone because they are going off the number in your email signature which you copied from Samanatha.
;)
:ughh:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm 9 miles down in a 10 mile problem. We're trying to sign a new client and they've thrown their biggest issue at us as a test. I have all this data supporting the fact that there is a problem but it doesn't point at the problem itself.

Some laptops are continually reporting IP address conflicts on 0.0.0.0 with Mac 0.0.0.0, and sometimes on IP 100.100.100.101 with a legit Mac address of a random wireless device that I can identify in the WAP logs and DHCP. This happens all throughout the day. Ip scheme for this place starts 192. My agent shows a wireless nic connected @ 100.100.100.101, gateway 100.100.100.102, subnet 255.255.252.0. Ipconfig on that same device says it's connected normally to the WiFi with a legit 192 ip configuration.

None of the networking devices, including WAPs and printers, show anything about the dumb 100 network. Most bizarrely though is that ARP -a on the server shows both 100.100.100.101 and .102 with Mac addresses that I can't find on the network. One Mac says it was manufactured by apple, the other (the gateway address) can't be identified by any mac databases I've looked through.

Where in the flying gently caress is this 100.100.100.102 gateway coming from and why is it interfering with wireless devices?

vvv a home router would never be configured on a public 100.100.100.0/22 scheme, and still shouldn't have IP conflict issues if it was responding to dhcp. It seems this mystery service is intercepting a single Wi-Fi device at a time on 100.100.100.101, and the conflicts come when a new device boots an old one.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 7, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone plugged in a home access point into the network?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

vvv a home router would never be configured on a public 100.100.100.0/22 scheme, and still shouldn't have IP conflict issues if it was responding to dhcp. It seems this mystery service is intercepting a single Wi-Fi device at a time on 100.100.100.101, and the conflicts come when a new device boots an old one.

I think the sort of person to plug a home router into the corporate network might put on a special IP scheme. Can you use the arp caches to trace to a physical switch port? What sort of wireless is it?

A little old fashioned war driving might be in order. Physically map the site network both cabled and wireless so you know exactly what is available where.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

just block the entire Chinese IP space
This is always the correct action.

Hah, I had a similar one a while ago. "When some people call me their calls go to the switchboard". Turned out she had typoed the phone number in her email signature.. Fortunately the number she had typed wasn't in use so I just changed her actual number to that. :)

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Do you guys know what the best place to get IT jobs in Vancouver (or anywhere else that's nice in BC)? The best website?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
A proposition came in....

quote:

Those changes should get pushed shortly. I will intimate you soon as they are pushed

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

tomapot posted:

A proposition came in....
Hell yea, are they a cutie?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

KoRMaK posted:

Hell yea, are they a cutie?
When i read this there was a reply just for you in the advertisement at the bottom of the page.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

orange sky posted:

Do you guys know what the best place to get IT jobs in Vancouver (or anywhere else that's nice in BC)? The best website?

Check out the Vancouver thread on the forum. Can't link because on mobile. I saw something there in the last few days.

Or give up on IT and learn VFX. There are a million compositing jobs in the city.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Mystery solved with the 100.100.100.102 gateway. Xerox printer and companion efi on site. The correct Ethernet configuration is network -> efi -> xerox. The efi creates the secluded 100 network between it and the xerox.

Current garbage IT had a problem configuring a service on the xerox so they plugged both the xerox and efi into a switch, thinking it was the same thing. This left the efi to hand out a single address to anything that it could talk to before the server dhcp responded.

Needless to say the client was not happy to hear that they've been paying for this efi device that is not only disconnected, but is also causing headaches.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Mystery solved with the 100.100.100.102 gateway. Xerox printer and companion efi on site. The correct Ethernet configuration is network -> efi -> xerox. The efi creates the secluded 100 network between it and the xerox.

Current garbage IT had a problem configuring a service on the xerox so they plugged both the xerox and efi into a switch, thinking it was the same thing. This left the efi to hand out a single address to anything that it could talk to before the server dhcp responded.

Needless to say the client was not happy to hear that they've been paying for this efi device that is not only disconnected, but is also causing headaches.

I've got bad news for the client. Even when it's wired correctly, they'll still be paying for an EFI device that's causing headaches :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This post just solved a mystery for me, why the Fiery was displaying a weird IP when the copier seemed to have a normal one.

Also, gently caress Fiery and the rep that convinced the office manager he needed it on both copiers.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure that he knows exactly what the previous posters are talking about. Don't bother.

I don't because I didn't look.

Not directed at you (possibly) but is the internet detective poo poo going on really necessary?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

chemosh6969 posted:

I don't because I didn't look.

Not directed at you (possibly) but is the internet detective poo poo going on really necessary?

Maybe I have totally missed some posts but who is going all Internet detective? :iiam:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sickening posted:

Maybe I have totally missed some posts but who is going all Internet detective? :iiam:
Nobody is going internet detective (unless its elsewhere or in PMs). We're just laughing at you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ilkhan posted:

Nobody is going internet detective (unless its elsewhere or in PMs). We're just laughing at you.

Referencing earlier posts is obviously detectiving, Sherlock.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

flosofl posted:

Referencing earlier posts is obviously detectiving entrapment, Sherlock.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

This post just solved a mystery for me, why the Fiery was displaying a weird IP when the copier seemed to have a normal one.

Also, gently caress Fiery and the rep that convinced the office manager he needed it on both copiers.

Be sure to check that your cable between the fiery and the printer is a crossover.

It drives me nuts that not only did the previous company configure the devices incorrectly, but they lost the included crossover cable in the process. In fact they probably tossed it thinking it was a bad cable after plugging the efi in to the switch.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Youre not a cop are you

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I can't believe you're a :regd04: who needs to be told to lurk more.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

orange sky posted:

http://www.bctechnology.com/

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ilkhan posted:

and my reply

:ughh:

Reminds me of one I had a week ago - client was having issues with a desk phone, couldn't receive calls but could make outbound calls. All other phones are working in the building, so naturally I think maybe the phone is flaking, or the data port/cable might be the issue.

Ran through a few minutes of troubleshooting before I noticed on the phone LCD, in teeny tiny print, that forwarding was enabled. Turned it off, called the line from my cell, it went through fine. Best guess I had for the issue was the person hit forward by mistake, tried to dial an internal extension, and the extension wasn't valid so it had no idea where to route the call.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but the same client had a user with dual monitors and they had the extended desktop set up all backwards and couldn't figure out how to fix it. For almost a YEAR. :psyduck: User was legit shocked that it took me less than 2 minutes to fix it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A walkup came in...
... while I was standing at a urinal.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A ticket came in...

For our phone system. We've always had phone problems off an on. My best(uneducated) guess is that we've got a slow-tier internet through Time Warner Cable, and we've been aggressively expanding for the last year and have doubled our staff, so our VOIP phones and all the extra people doing work and browsing Facebook or whatever are basically capping the bandwidth and choking everything up. The other theory is that our networking equipment is old as poo poo, and can't keep up anymore. Yeah, that's not accurate and really dumbed down, but gently caress it, I'm not IT for our network and thus I don't really care enough to want to know the nitty gritty details.

Anyway, so yeah, this week we started off with the calls getting all choppy before being dropped completely. Then yesterday, our phones were exploding all day long, as calls were coming in, and our system was seeing them as being multiple calls. So you'd get a call, pick it up, and the phone would ring again with a second call coming from the same number, while the first call would silently drop. This drove our secretary completely nuts, as she couldn't pick up any calls at all, and our office was a cacophony of ringing all day.

Now today, nothing. Not a single call. It's been blissfully, eerily quiet all morning. My boss, I think, managed to get some kind of call forwarding in place that routes calls to our secretary's cell phone. Or he set up a message that says to call it, either way. Apparently it's also got something to do with our phone provider, as he's been on the phone troubleshooting things with them all morning as well. We're a company that primarily does business over the phone, so this is really kind of a bad thing. At least I don't have nearly as many issues coming in as I could have.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
1> Important Person can't log into anything on any of their devices. Meltdown begins.
2> Account locked out? No. Account expired or password recently changed? No. This person is too important to ever change their password.
3> Beat head against desk. No one else is having problems. The password is right or wrong, what can it... *ding*
4> Reset password back to what the password is supposed to be..... everything works again....

Oh, dear.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

neogeo0823 posted:

A ticket came in...

For our phone system. We've always had phone problems off an on. My best(uneducated) guess is that we've got a slow-tier internet through Time Warner Cable, and we've been aggressively expanding for the last year and have doubled our staff, so our VOIP phones and all the extra people doing work and browsing Facebook or whatever are basically capping the bandwidth and choking everything up. The other theory is that our networking equipment is old as poo poo, and can't keep up anymore. Yeah, that's not accurate and really dumbed down, but gently caress it, I'm not IT for our network and thus I don't really care enough to want to know the nitty gritty details.

Anyway, so yeah, this week we started off with the calls getting all choppy before being dropped completely. Then yesterday, our phones were exploding all day long, as calls were coming in, and our system was seeing them as being multiple calls. So you'd get a call, pick it up, and the phone would ring again with a second call coming from the same number, while the first call would silently drop. This drove our secretary completely nuts, as she couldn't pick up any calls at all, and our office was a cacophony of ringing all day.

Now today, nothing. Not a single call. It's been blissfully, eerily quiet all morning. My boss, I think, managed to get some kind of call forwarding in place that routes calls to our secretary's cell phone. Or he set up a message that says to call it, either way. Apparently it's also got something to do with our phone provider, as he's been on the phone troubleshooting things with them all morning as well. We're a company that primarily does business over the phone, so this is really kind of a bad thing. At least I don't have nearly as many issues coming in as I could have.

Your av basically sums this up

AlternateAccount posted:

1> Important Person can't log into anything on any of their devices. Meltdown begins.
2> Account locked out? No. Account expired or password recently changed? No. This person is too important to ever change their password.
3> Beat head against desk. No one else is having problems. The password is right or wrong, what can it... *ding*
4> Reset password back to what the password is supposed to be..... everything works again....

Oh, dear.

Their av also sums this up, funny enough

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm sure you guys are already aware of this, but in case you aren't accessing Papa John's website to order pizza is critical to business because it is someone's birthday and we need to get pizza.

They were not thrilled when we suggested that Domino's website worked just fine

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

siggy2021 posted:

I'm sure you guys are already aware of this, but in case you aren't accessing Papa John's website to order pizza is critical to business because it is someone's birthday and we need to get pizza.

You monster.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

siggy2021 posted:

I assume that using a phone is verboten as well.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

siggy2021 posted:

Thank god I live in a near hipster paradise where a chain pizza place is out of the way. I got one with eggplant and peppers and poo poo the other day and was great.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

KoRMaK posted:

Thank god I live in a near hipster paradise where a chain pizza place is out of the way. I got one with eggplant and peppers and poo poo the other day and was great.

We have a place within walking distance that does a fantastic stuffed pepper pizza. It's got a garlicy white sauce on it, with tons of mozzerella, and it's topped with hungarian hot peppers that they stuff with sauage, cheese, and herbs, then cut into bite-size chunks.

We also do an office lunch every Friday now, where we order lunch from a new place every week on the company dime. It's great for a foodie like me, but killing my waistline like nothing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vicas posted:

Your av basically sums this up

Their av also sums this up, funny enough

Indeed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

siggy2021 posted:

A few years ago our network guys hadd to unblock bmw.com, because our CIO wanted to go car shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm almost sure that's what our secretary was doing yesterday every time the phone range by the time I left, yes.

Incidentally, the problem seems to have been fixed, I think. I didn't get all the details, but apparently our phone service provider did *~something~* to their servers over the weekend that said servers didn't like. Our business, along with a couple others, was on a *~special snowflake~* server of some sort. Now, all of the servers didn't like whatever the *~something~* was, but the one we're on freaked out completely and the mess we were in was the result. I will kinda miss not having to take calls.

• Locked thread