Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Yes, but what are Rands thoughts on the government building a wall not to keep Mexicans out...but to keep Americans...in. :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I don't think anyone has commented yet on Rand Paul revealing the slogan of his campaign:

“Defeat the Washington machine. Unleash the American dream.”

According to Politico.

quote:

...The slogan is designed to evoke populist, anti-establishment themes that would work in both the primaries and the general election.

A Paul adviser said of the slogan: “You could say that is a hat tip to Hillary — a subtle contrast to Hillary. But why wouldn’t that also apply to Jeb? Or someone who has never had a [recent] job outside elected office — Scott Walker?

Advisers say Paul’s top issues will include a flat tax, IRS reform, term limits, privacy and justice reform.

One problem with the slogan, of course: Paul is a U.S. senator who works in Washington.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/rand-paul-2016-campaign-slogan-116685.html

Rah rah! Fight the powah!

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

William Bear posted:

I don't think anyone has commented yet on Rand Paul revealing the slogan of his campaign:

“Defeat the Washington machine. Unleash the American dream.”

According to Politico.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/rand-paul-2016-campaign-slogan-116685.html

Rah rah! Fight the powah!

What's the over/under on the number of anti-establishment bands that demand he stop using their music/saying nice things about them?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Well, it's just an allusion to Rage Against The Machine, and my comment about fighting power was a joke.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

site posted:

How senile do you have to be to have people clapping at your ability to kick balloons?

they worship him

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ron Paul's fanbase views him literally in the way swaths of the right thinks every Democrat views Obama.

Pinterest Mom posted:

You should see the video!

forbidden lesbian posted:

they worship him
I weep my daily tear for America.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

rand paul rigged the Final Four

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ugh we're going to have Jeb Bush as the Republican Presidential Nominee and it's going to be Bush Vs. Clinton Round 2 Electric Bugaloo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Hollismason posted:

Ugh we're going to have Jeb Bush as the Republican Presidential Nominee and it's going to be Bush Vs. Clinton Round 2 Electric Bugaloo

I think in exchange for this we should be allowed to go through at least one entire election with no pundits poo pooing people who aren't voting. It's a legit question but at least for this go around, that class of news-animal has an answer that's good enough for them to give it a rest for once.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Actually, it was Mitt!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think in exchange for this we should be allowed to go through at least one entire election with no pundits poo pooing people who aren't voting. It's a legit question but at least for this go around, that class of news-animal has an answer that's good enough for them to give it a rest for once.

I legit do not know what this means or is in reference to.

Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
Rand Paul's /announcements/assets subdirectory is here for the viewing http://randpaul.com/announcement/

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

More White Noise posted:

Rand Paul's /announcements/assets subdirectory is here for the viewing http://randpaul.com/announcement/

http://randpaul.com/announcement/assets/i/img_featured_volunteer.jpg

Stand with Don Draper Rand!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I'm the blurry mouth breathing geek in the foreground

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Quick, stand Rand back up, he's on a tilt!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Um, about those "updates":

Rand Paul's updates: Status Fail

Seriously how is it loving 2016 and these guys can't do basic website competence? It's not like this is an issue with inadequate server bandwidth causing access issues, the website is literally not made yet.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Some in the media like scolding non-voters for shirking their civic responsibilities but Bush 3 vs Clinton 2 would seen by many as a justifiable reason to be apathetic.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

PupsOfWar posted:

haha Rand Paul probably definitely planned his announcement around the final four and had to furiously rewrite the part where he talks about how great it is that Kentucky won

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fade5 posted:

Um, about those "updates":

Rand Paul's updates: Status Fail

Seriously how is it loving 2016 and these guys can't do basic website competence? It's not like this is an issue with inadequate server bandwidth causing access issues, the website is literally not made yet.

If you look at init.js you'll see that updates.php gets posted to by the signup form on the announcements page asynchronously. It updates his mailing list. Since you've sent a request to it without the appropriate POST parameters, the server is returning a failure status, which would let the form display an error message.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Slip and sliding all the way to the Oval Office.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Some in the media like scolding non-voters for shirking their civic responsibilities but Bush 3 vs Clinton 2 would seen by many as a justifiable reason to be apathetic.

It was certainly a compelling argument last time a Bush was trying to become President. And that administration certainly showed there was no difference at all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

AndNowMax posted:

haha Rand Paul probably definitely planned his announcement around the final four and had to furiously rewrite the part where he talks about how great it is that Kentucky won

Keep in mind: Rand's only diploma was granted by Duke.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

He thinks that somehow, voting for a Clinton and against a Bush is something that will depress turnout among the left.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fulchrum posted:

He thinks that somehow, voting for a Clinton and against a Bush is something that will depress turnout among the left.

No, just that people who don't vote do so with good reason instead of "oh yeah that thing was today? I forgot".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If anything, I'd assume an election between two candidates very closely tied to previous Presidents and likely to import a lot of their policies and staff would give the average voter an easier time deciding who to vote for - do you want More Clinton or More Bush? New candidates mean trying to figure out what they're all about and what you think of their agenda, while even the most uninformed and apathetic voter can probably cobble together an opinion on the 90s vs. the 00s.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Kalman posted:

"Fox's deceptiveness comes in how they present the data, not in the data itself." It's not that hard of a concept - lying with data doesn't require the data to be bad. Their data is not particularly inaccurate, which is backed up by 538 saying one of their firms is dead average and the other slightly below average.

Once it goes into the newsroom and graphics department, it becomes lies. You really aren't very smart, a fact you have already conceded; perhaps you should embrace it and admit you were wrong originally.

I would call you mr glass house but you seem to have already shattered all the glass. Mr... only the frames remain? Mr my feet bleed constantly and I am in denial of my more and more focused efforts to ignore what is being posted and insist on trying to push a point that was never being argued about and is in denial of reality in a desperate attempt to be right dont call the ambulance this is surely my moment of victory?

I like the second one better by the way its poetic and concise but missed the oomph. Keep on accepting terrible and only slightly less wrong as "average" compared to the ratings of every other single major news media outlet, embrace mediocrity as your new normal, really live the C+ dream.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Joementum posted:

Now as always, gently caress Duke

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I feel like if anything voting against Bush will energize democrats.

At least I hope to God someone remember what the other Bush did.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Zelder posted:

I feel like if anything voting against Bush will energize democrats.

At least I hope to God someone remember what the other Bush did.

Saved America from the terrorists and got revenge on Saddam for 9/11!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

AndNowMax posted:

The sinister triumph of Rand's alma-mater releases a myriad of arcane energies

he has timed his announcement so that he may benefit from the surge in mystical power

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Joementum posted:

I'm pretty sure every day he hopes everyone in Kentucky doesn't find out.

The next senate election could be "Rand went to Duke", he would lose by 90 points.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Carson lost the Jay-Z vote

http://www.mediaite.com/online/ben-carson-defines-hip-hop-as-opposing-anything-that-has-to-do-with-jesus-christ/

quote:

“We need to reestablish faith in our communities and the values and principles that got us through slavery, that got us through Jim Crow, and segregation, and all kinds of horrible things that were heaped upon us,” Carson said, according to Business Insider. “Why were we able to get through those? Because of our faith, because of our family, because of our values, and as we allow the hip hop community to destroy those things for us, and as we grasp onto what’s politically correct and not what is correct, we continue to deteriorate.”

The assertion that hip hop music stands in sharp opposition to “family values” received some pushback from the show’s host, who told Carson, “When you said ‘hip-hop,’ my antennae went up very quickly, because I said, ‘Wait a minute that sounds like an old argument that they used to make about rock ‘n’ roll/R&B back in the fifties.’ That’s what they used to say.”

In an attempt to better explain what he meant, Carson replied, “When I talk about the hip hop community, I’m talking about the aspect of modern society that pretty much dismisses anything that has to do with Jesus Christ, that’s what I’m talking about.”

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

commonwealthers care whether somebody went to Duke way more than they care whether he might be some kinda chinese satanist.

Jack Conway woulda known that if he weren't from Louisville

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

Yes, but what are Rands thoughts on the government building a wall not to keep Mexicans out...but to keep Americans...in. :catdrugs:

I think the rest of the world would greatly appreciate such a measure

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, I kind of figured it'd be the otherway around that having Hillary Vs. Bush would actually bring out the vote more but unfortunately on both sides.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Historically speaking Bushes lose to Clintons 100% of the time.

:v:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But on the other hand presidential tickets with a female lose 100 percent of the time too and there's twice as much data to back that up. I guess at least one precedent would be broken then.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
With Ron Paul attending Rand Paul's announcement does the libertarian dream ticket become Paul/Paul 2016?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Humans Act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

For Kentucky Pol, A New Handle

I love the #analysis that using "Dr." makes him look more like a Washington outsider.

• Locked thread