Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

I would wager to say that every quest-involved NPC that isn't marked as essential is at a pretty significant risk of death.

There aren't a lot of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Lizard Wizard posted:

There aren't a lot of those.

There is in Skyrim though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you guys make it sound like Skyrim has a dynamic gameworld where the available sidequests and content change every time depending on how the NPCs' own stories, lives and deaths play out, which would own. It does not

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you guys make it sound like Skyrim has a dynamic gameworld where the available sidequests and content change every time depending on how the NPCs' own stories, lives and deaths play out, which would own. It does not

Open Cities + more dragon attacks + shitloads of new or additional monsters = :getin: I once had half of Whiterun dead from Dragon attacks and it was great. Not because it locked me out of stuff, but because it made it feel like there were real stakes.

I totally understand that it is not what everyone wants but man, I love when Morrowind would just say "Welp, you hosed it up, good luck completing the MQ now, shitlord"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought Skyrim only had like, a very small handful of nonessential, murderable npcs. The rest were immortal

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout 3 managed that without invisible walls everywhere that wasn't giant piles of rubble in DC.

It's like a ten degree incline I think my guy in powered armor should be able to handle that.

No it didn't, practically everything was level scaled. Have fun peppering bullet sponge muties for 50 years.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JebanyPedal posted:

No it didn't, practically everything was level scaled. Have fun peppering bullet sponge muties for 50 years.

Both games level scale areas within certain ranges, actually. Similar to Morrowind. Oblivion is the one that didn't do that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My favorite thing about Oblivion was after you leveled up you'd have bandits wearing armor greater in value than the whole Shire and everything in it shaking you down for 10 shekels.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JebanyPedal posted:

If you're not shooting at a dude whose race/species has a habit of collecting dozens of rounds in their flesh and not even realizing it (see: Marcus in Fallout 2), you're not playing Fallout.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Count me as another person who thinks that Bloodborne is too drat dreary to consider playing through again. Put in 30 hours and the only sun I saw was 20 seconds worth in a cutscene.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Wow that last page was full of morons. "The only mod I use is the one that removes invisible walls"

Here's an idea: open the console and type tcl

That toggles clipping and you can float on through invisible walls or scale really steep grades. And then when you're at the top or through the wall, you turn it off.

If you're playing on console... well you shouldn't play on console.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition was the worst about this. There was just too much content, which isn't a complaint I thought I'd ever make about a game.
It's not just too much content, it's too much boring low-effort content and it's just thrown in your face. I think they really wanted to get on the Skyrim bandwagon but completely missed the sense of freedom and discovery that Skyrim provides. In the process they also managed to wreck their own formula by mandating the player do a bunch of side activities to progress in the campaign, completely ruining any interest I might have had in the actual story.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

That toggles clipping and you can float on through invisible walls or scale really steep grades. And then when you're at the top or through the wall, you turn it off.

I'm not sure turning on noclip is a good solution for bad design.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

im pooping! posted:

Wow that last page was full of morons. "The only mod I use is the one that removes invisible walls"
No, I said the only mod I won't play without is the IWR.

quote:

Here's an idea: open the console and type tcl
Or I can use a mod and not turn off achievements until I save, quit, and reload.

How fitting. Your username describes your posting.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Open the console and type tlc for a little bit of tender love and care

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

or you could play the game like a regular human and not hump the geography to bypass actual gameplay

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not sure turning on noclip is a good solution for bad design.

In his defense, he never said it was a good idea

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

WOULD YOU GUYS ALL SHUT UP JESUS loving CHRIST

A THING DRAGGING A GAME DOWN: I HAVE TO WAIT FOR GRACIE TO SHOW UP IN MY TOWN IN ANIMAL CROSSING AND IT ANNOYS ME

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vic Boss posted:

Count me as another person who thinks that Bloodborne is too drat dreary to consider playing through again. Put in 30 hours and the only sun I saw was 20 seconds worth in a cutscene.

I don't care much one way or the other for the sun or lack thereof, but Bloodborne is so drat hard compared to Dark Souls.

I'm past the learning curve, and certainly a lot better than when I started, but it's still much harder then DS...I miss blocking. :(

But in addition to that, it has a similar problem that Dark Souls Ii had, but in reverse.

Dark Souls II had a part of the game world where you entered a giant windmill, who's top could be seen from the outside, then took an elevator inside it up, which put you. at the top of a mountain, with lava pools everywhere (the premise being that the castle was built on a mountain-top, they mined too much iron, and the castle fell into lava, or something.)

The mountain is NOWHERE near the windmill when you approach it...just a bad transition.

And in Bloodborne, the first area is a town. You're walking on the street, going in houses, etc...Eventually, you take an elevator down, beneath the town, and...there's sky everywhere when you look up. Everywhere. Even when you look directly back to where you came from, it's a single building with nothing around from where you came from above.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Amorphous Blob posted:

There is in Skyrim though.

Good, because that's literally the game this argument was about.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

DrBouvenstein posted:

And in Bloodborne, the first area is a town. You're walking on the street, going in houses, etc...Eventually, you take an elevator down, beneath the town, and...there's sky everywhere when you look up. Everywhere. Even when you look directly back to where you came from, it's a single building with nothing around from where you came from above.

What area are you talking about? I don't remember anything like that..

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't care much one way or the other for the sun or lack thereof, but Bloodborne is so drat hard compared to Dark Souls.

I see people saying this a lot and it's strange. I'm having a waay easier time with it than I ever did with Dark Souls. Honestly the only thing dragging Bloodborne down for me is that I have to go to work and can't just play it all day.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

No, I said the only mod I won't play without is the IWR.
Or I can use a mod and not turn off achievements until I save, quit, and reload.

Personally I don't give a crap about achievements, and I wasn't so much as running into the invisible walls while exploring but falling into cracks and folds in the terrain where I'd get stuck. So noclip was the best option. Suited me just fine when I ran into the occasional invisible wall, too.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I see people saying this a lot and it's strange. I'm having a waay easier time with it than I ever did with Dark Souls. Honestly the only thing dragging Bloodborne down for me is that I have to go to work and can't just play it all day.

A lot of people in the souls games, myself included, play it with heavy armour and a 100% damage resist shield. You don't have the luxery of heavy armour and a shield in Bloodborne and it takes a bit of adjustment to play in a more aggressive style. Once I learned dodging towards the enemy and to the sides was more effective than dodging straight back I had found my combat rhytmn in the game.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dragon Age:Inquisition. It takes so ungodly long to level up to decent levels that I'll probably never play through another class again. I know I could just pick a companion that's thst class and playbthem, but I wanna play MY guy!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The Bastion Dam stage in Mercenary Kings is just awful. A lot of the missions will send you all over the dam, and it's a huge pain in the rear end to traverse. The worst parts are the suspended girder platforms that drop when you step on them, because there's always enemies on the other side, so you have to keep jumping in order to kill them as well as keep the girder high enough that you can make the jump. The platforms are very narrow, so if you have any forward momentum when you jump, you will go sailing off the platform and have to climb up again. This will also probably respawn the enemies at the other side, so you're back where you started. Coupled with the fact that all the missions are timed, and circumventing these jumps require taking a nearly 4 minute detour around the entire rest of the level, makes me really hate all the missions set here.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

J-Spot posted:

It's not just too much content, it's too much boring low-effort content and it's just thrown in your face. I think they really wanted to get on the Skyrim bandwagon but completely missed the sense of freedom and discovery that Skyrim provides. In the process they also managed to wreck their own formula by mandating the player do a bunch of side activities to progress in the campaign, completely ruining any interest I might have had in the actual story.
I really wanted to like DA;I but gently caress if it wasn't just the laziest shoving stuff down your throat via the war table funnel. See something in the game world? Guess what? You can't do poo poo until you load back to Skyhold, jog for 20 seconds past all this dumb stuff they want you to wank off over but is functionally just clutter and extra time jogging about, and then load into the war table. And I was playing on an SSD so the loads weren't even that bad. Every time I opened the war table and saw dumb icons it was like someone on the dev team was yelling "HERE LOOK WE HAVE STUFF TO DO JUST LIKE SKYRIM. LOOK AT ALL THIS STUFF. SKYRIM. STUFF SKYRIM. BLINKING STUFF, GLOWING STUFF, TIME WASTING STUFF, STUUUFFFFFFFFFF."

Also it slowly slid into boring after one of the biggest early game mission where you go forward in time and see all the consequences and it's all just emotionally manipulative in the most basic and lame of ways. Where everybody just whines about how evil things are happening...somewhere. But oh no, they have to SHOW not TELL so they just torture the few characters you've met (especially the "hot" redhead to show you HOW RAW poo poo IS IN THE FUTURE) . So many good ideas squandered because they had to make it "open world" and shove in 90+ hours of filler annoying bullshit. They should have drilled down to like 30 hours of awesome poo poo on the level of Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Inco posted:

The Bastion Dam stage in Mercenary Kings is just awful. A lot of the missions will send you all over the dam, and it's a huge pain in the rear end to traverse. The worst parts are the suspended girder platforms that drop when you step on them, because there's always enemies on the other side, so you have to keep jumping in order to kill them as well as keep the girder high enough that you can make the jump. The platforms are very narrow, so if you have any forward momentum when you jump, you will go sailing off the platform and have to climb up again. This will also probably respawn the enemies at the other side, so you're back where you started. Coupled with the fact that all the missions are timed, and circumventing these jumps require taking a nearly 4 minute detour around the entire rest of the level, makes me really hate all the missions set here.

The further you get into Mercenary Kings the more obnoxious the platforming becomes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mazerunner posted:

What area are you talking about? I don't remember anything like that..

I was mis-remembering. It's not an elevator, but a lot of stairs and a ladder that go from the Cathedral Ward to Old Yarnham:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTsulwn1_U

Start around 24 minutes...he's in the Cathedral Ward, then he goes down a bunch of stairs, is in the basement of the Tomb, and eventually exits the tomb and is outside with sky above him.

He doesn't turn around all the way, but I certainly have, and there is no indication of the area you just came from is anywhere above you like it should be.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Apr 7, 2015

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

J-Spot posted:

DA's open world was worthless. The only reason I even beat the game was because of the duping bug and reselling those influence items to max out my influence.
That game would have been better if it was more like DA2 real talk. Just worthless wandering around with a crap crafting system.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
My thing dragging down Souls games post-DS1: People will now hold each game to stupidly high standards regarding whether art assets are allowed to use any sort of abstraction whatsoever in how they represent space.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the otherwise stellar Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut the worst part of the game is when you stop playing Adam Jensen and instead witness Cutscene Jensen, who bumbles around military bases and gets dropped on by the bad guys three separate times. I understand the designer's need to railroad a game's plot in places, but there has to be a more elegant way of moving the story forward that doesn't mandate the player character acting like a retard. Who else's got examples of this?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Apr 8, 2015

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the otherwise stellart Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut the worst part of the game is when you stop playing Adam Jensen and instead witness Cutscene Jensen, who bumbles around military bases and gets dropped on by the bad guys three separate times. I understand the designer's need to railroad a game's plot in places, but there has to be a more elegant way of moving the story forward that doesn't mandate the player character acting like a retard. Who else's got examples of this?

The first Fallout 3 DLC did something similar where you had to be captured by the same bandits you were effortlessly slaughtering since level 2.

Or Bioware and Obsidian's entire catalogs where even a legendary stealth assassin will announce his presence to a powerful enemy so they can monolog at you because voice actors are expensive and you're going to hear them exposit at you god dammit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kalos posted:

The first Fallout 3 DLC did something similar where you had to be captured by the same bandits you were effortlessly slaughtering since level 2.

Those were some pretty burly bandits to knock my guy unconscious with police batons considering I was encased in like an inch of steel.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The intro to Majora's Mask is dumb and boring as hell.

Oh look, a cool new town brimming with life to put the towns in OoT to shame! Let me just see if there are any side quests I can do and--

NO gently caress YOU YOU ARE A BUSH

Okay, so I just need to do a series of completely unrelated tasks to get to the clock tower. Cool, I did it in less than a day and a half, now I can get on with the real game and-

NO gently caress YOU WAIT UNTIL ITS OPEN OR DANCE WITH A SCARECROW OR SOMETHING gently caress YOU

Fine I'll go dance with the scarecrow. Still there has to be SOMETHING to do in this shithole, they can't seriously expect you to literally burn time until the door op-

gently caress YOU BUSH PERSON

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ryoshi posted:

The intro to Majora's Mask is dumb and boring as hell.

Oh look, a cool new town brimming with life to put the towns in OoT to shame! Let me just see if there are any side quests I can do and--

NO gently caress YOU YOU ARE A BUSH

Okay, so I just need to do a series of completely unrelated tasks to get to the clock tower. Cool, I did it in less than a day and a half, now I can get on with the real game and-

NO gently caress YOU WAIT UNTIL ITS OPEN OR DANCE WITH A SCARECROW OR SOMETHING gently caress YOU

Fine I'll go dance with the scarecrow. Still there has to be SOMETHING to do in this shithole, they can't seriously expect you to literally burn time until the door op-

gently caress YOU BUSH PERSON

I find it so weird that so many people praise Nintendo for supposedly carrying the torch of classic gameplay-driven games when they're guilty of some of the worst unskippable opening sequences in the name of plot. See also: the crappy stealth sequence in Wind Waker, being stuck as a wolf in Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy having like 30 minutes of unskippable cutscenes and tutorials, etc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I find it so weird that so many people praise Nintendo for supposedly carrying the torch of classic gameplay-driven games when they're guilty of some of the worst unskippable opening sequences in the name of plot. See also: the crappy stealth sequence in Wind Waker, being stuck as a wolf in Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy having like 30 minutes of unskippable cutscenes and tutorials, etc.

Fairly certain that people enjoy the games despite the continuing absence of cutscene skipping and not thanks to it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Similar stuff in Okami, which is probably the best Zeldalike game ever except for the part where your fairy equivalent, Issun, will not loving shut up in the early game and will insist on telling you exactly how to solve a puzzle before you even try. It gets toned down as the game progresses that but that opening is just irritating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the otherwise stellar Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut the worst part of the game is when you stop playing Adam Jensen and instead witness Cutscene Jensen, who bumbles around military bases and gets dropped on by the bad guys three separate times. I understand the designer's need to railroad a game's plot in places, but there has to be a more elegant way of moving the story forward that doesn't mandate the player character acting like a retard. Who else's got examples of this?

The worst in that game is the scene where Jensen has Zhao Yun Ru at gunpoint and then lets her move around the room and hit the button to call the guards and get away. Although the scene where Barrett ambushes you is also pretty annoying, because he just appears out of nowhere rather than actually trying to sneak up on you properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sleeveless posted:

the crappy stealth sequence in Wind Waker

You don't actually have to do a lot of stealth in that. There's like 2 screens that you need to stealth in, but that's it, the other ones aren't necessary. :v:

I have to agree with Majora's Mask's intro being pretty slow, but it gives you a chance to go around and meet the townspeople, see how theynlive their lives and such so you can have a headstart on that whem you're Hylian again. Also imthink time passes faster than usual in the first cycle.